is Veterans day a big cruise holiday week

luckyinpa

On,y for cruises leaving out of NJ and NY. NJ teachers convention is that week, and most NJ schools have at least 2 or 3 days off from school that week, if not the whole week off.

There were about 1200 kids on our Breakaway cruise a couple of years ago.

last years calendar

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/32DF8AD8-D1E0-4228-A919-818C6B12D8C3/0/201516SchoolYearCalendarFamilyFriendly_Revised.pdf

shows election day off then veterans day.so maybe indeed there is higher chance of more families. but it was one of the cheapest weeks i could book so something tells me demand isnt high

i priced march/april 2017 and the 2199 room i have now is 4300. so my guess is thats pretty high demand lol

last years calendar

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/32DF8AD8-D1E0-4228-A919-818C6B12D8C3/0/201516SchoolYearCalendarFamilyFriendly_Revised.pdf

shows election day off then veterans day.so maybe indeed there is higher chance of more families. but it was one of the cheapest weeks i could book so something tells me demand isnt high

i priced march/april 2017 and the 2199 room i have now is 4300. so my guess is thats pretty high demand lol

That's NYC, not NJ. I guarantee there will be spring break level kid crowds that week. We've done it twice, and every year, reviews are written by people who were not expecting all of those kids. For whatever reason, NCL doesn't jack up the prices for that week, unlike the NYC airports, where it's hard to find a flight to Orlando under $500.

oct in bermuda is 2499 compared to our 2199 we got for bahamas but is october any better really? :) theres columbus day!

actually just realized we cannot rebook. we'd lose all the freebee from haven package

Edited by luckyinpa

I always check NY, NJ, PA school closings any week that I plan to cruise out of NYC. If it's any kind of holiday, or school vacation, I skip it. I'm not anti-kid, but my idea of a vacation does not include being on a boat in the middle of the ocean with 1500 kids.. just doesn't seem relaxing to me. Everyone is different, that's just my outlook on it. Due to a recent thread, I will also be checking yeshiva week from now on as well..

We sailed out of NYC 4 years ago (just a few days post-Sandy) on the GEM, wasn't too bad - on our Caribbean 10 days - barely noticed "older" children & teens out on school break and yes, you will always see pre-schoolers & "younger" children not in day care ... no issues with them running around unsupervised.

Disney just raised its single day admission prices (again) during peak period - family of 4 planning an 6 - 8 hours visit at the FL theme parks with a stop at Port Canaveral might be re-thinking

We sailed head-on into and then out of a nasty Noreaster @ sailaway with 30 foot waves overnight doing almost 25 knots once we're out of the eye of the storm (that's an unrelated story, of course)

well i made the mistake of reading more jersey threads and talking to gf and we are both bumming. thought the cheap price and allegedly non holiday time would be not a stressful cruise. finding the post :

We still had a good time but out fellow cruisers were completely out of control. It was like the show Jersey Shore was modelled after the families onboard.

There were over 1000 kids. The young children were NOT our problem.

LOTS of drunk teens. They tended to like to hang out in the stairwells, "decorating" the handrails with ketchup. There was a lot of knocking on doors late at night, running up and down the hallways, and stealing of room service menus. We called security several times. The Captain made several announcements reminding people about curfews.

anyone have any idea if we did rebook to bermuda if they would save our freebees. we are both really upset over this. some of those threads on here are down right awful. and this is truly a once in lifetime and done cruise for us

anyone have any idea if we did rebook to bermuda if they would save our freebees. we are both really upset over this. some of those threads on here are down right awful. and this is truly a once in lifetime and done cruise for us

Just wait and see if they offer that promo again. I think some of the reviews are from people who had no idea about the amount of kids, so their expectations were off. I didn't witness bad behavior on our cruises, and I know they didn't even enforce curfew (1 am), since dd19 was still up on the pool deck at 3am (I woke up, and sent DH to get her).

That said, since you are paying a premium for the haven, it would stink if there were a lot of kids in there. We got spa passes to find a quiet kid free area (we have 5 kids of our own). I'd rather go to Bermuda over the Bahamas any day.

its extended so now i really have 1 week to figure if its better sitting 3 days in bermuda for total 600 more and going in october.

also while i dont doubt anyones review, i have yet to find many posts saying it wasnt a big deal on that week. many more people complaining