Shame on you..........ncl

I am not trying to figure out ways to cheat the system, i just want what i paid for

you are getting what you paid for, a mistake was made in the name and description. You can always cancel and choose another promotion or if you paid, just cancel and buy as you go

Additionally, if you are making such a big deal and blowing something so small like this out of proportion I would suggest cancelling your cruise and staying home. Things are bound to go wrong during a trip and it sounds like you are not one to let them roll off your back

Edited by pieshops

4ccd60715c78f1308f70bf57c1001a6f.jpg

I've got it too, but it came free with the original UBP promotion for the 3&4th passengers. I wouldn't have purchased it because we carry on soda anyway. We bring the cans with us to the restaurants or wherever.

Op if you paid for the soda package maybe you can cancel it, pay for the smoothies and carry on the soda instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What the OP has is quite clear. It is the soda package. NCL refer to the packages by a variety of names. We have one on out next cruise and on the amenity invoice it is called "Ultimate Child Soda Beverage Package". It is the soda package and includes fountain soda.

We don't know what was said during the conversation that the OP had when booking. Perhaps the rep didn't know the correct information (this is NCL remember). Perhaps he thought the OP was asking if the drinks were covered by the UBP. Perhaps the OP misunderstood a correct answer. We will never know but unfortunately it has resulted in the OP not having what he thought he would.

Was it "bait and switch"? Personally, I very much doubt it. I think it was a genuine mistake or misunderstanding.

As for what happens now, I am a little confused as to whether these packages were given as a perk or were purchased. There is a reference earlier to having "bought" 6 packages. If purchased then the OP should be able to get the cost refunded so at least they haven't paid for something they won't use and the money can go towards buying a few drinks.

If it was given as a perk then, unless the cruise was only booked on the basis of getting those drinks included (which would be an odd choice) then nothing is really lost. The package was given for no extra charge.

I'm sure the OP feels some misjustice, but I think it was a genuine misunderstanding and I hope they can do something now to get any money back if appropriate and then move on and enjoy their holiday.

Yet it happens every single cruise. Right or wrong, in your opinion, I merely offered a potential solution to the problem.

In my opinion and probably several others, that is a perfect solution. I intend to give my daughter some virgin (and some not virgin) drinks to my daughter on her spring break cruise using my UBP. If anyone is going to bash me and tell me how wrong that is, just save your breath. I'm not the first or last to break the rules. Wrong or right, don't be naïve, this has happened on just about every ship and every line I have been on. My kid, my rules. No one needs to get all holy on me, I'm not going to let her get loaded and take a swan dive. This is the main reason a bunch of us are taking our girls on a cruise, so we can control how much they party, instead of letting them run wild in Panama City. I'm sure some people agree with me and will do the same thing, but won't comment, which is fine, but I'm sure I'll hear from all of you do gooders. Go ahead, light me up.

We're sailing on the Sky and it's "Open Bar". We're taking our school aged kids. Guess what they're drinking? Sodas, juices, virgin beverages. Water isn't included, I wish it was...but that's okay--we're bringing water with us. OP, you're blowing a gasket over semantics. Looking at the screenshot, you're getting what you paid for. Unless we have a transcript of the convo you had with the rep that told you "watered down juices", I believe there was a communication breakdown on your end and NCL's end. Enjoy the cruise.

but i will judge NCL, Calling the soda package the "ultimate soda package" is wrong and describing it wrongly at point of sale is wrong. My crime is trying to save a few bucks. But in future, NCL just call it what it is. In fact here is a money making idea, add smoothies to the ultimate package and you can charge the same pre paid fees and make your workers happier.....i was going to try Celebrity next year but after this bait and switch just go back to the cruises line there were no issues

So I'll ask again... in the end, what is your end goal?

Your options appear to be:

1) Accept that the lady on the phone was wrong. People are human and make mistakes.

2) Refund the package since you didn't buy what you thought you were buying.

You seem to want:

3) Make them put some special designation in the system on your kid's card which makes an exception and allows them to get virgin coladas.

I'm quite certain that #3 isn't going to happen. At this point, my advice would just be to move on and enjoy the cruise. If you board the ship and are already all ticked off about this, you will be setting yourself up to notice and complain about everything and you will have a miserable time.

This is the main reason a bunch of us are taking our girls on a cruise, so we can control how much they party, instead of letting them run wild in Panama City.

I assume you're aware that if your daughter is over 18 that you can sign a parental waiver and allow her to purchase beer and wine without violating any rules, right?

My kid, my rules.

When it comes to the drink package, technically it's: their ship, their rules. If your daughter is under 21 - be careful. Providing alcohol to a minor is taken rather seriously and can have you removed from the ship at the next port.

4ccd60715c78f1308f70bf57c1001a6f.jpg

I've got it too, but it came free with the original UBP promotion for the 3&4th passengers. I wouldn't have purchased it because we carry on soda anyway. We bring the cans with us to the restaurants or wherever.

Op if you paid for the soda package maybe you can cancel it, pay for the smoothies and carry on the soda instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can cancel any amenity that you purchase up until either the day or two before sailing. Maybe bring on sodas for the kids for the few that they may want since they are smoothie drinkers not soda drinkers.

It has been mentioned that for $7.50 how could you expect virgin drinks to be included. Princess has a drink package called the Ultimate Soda & more and for $8.05 (Including the service charge) includes soda, virgin drinks, juice and hot chocolate from the coffee bar. Even good for virgin drinks on their private island. I think the OP has some valid points in his case. Usually when someone who works for a company tells you something you tend to take their word for it. I remember last October some of their promotional pages were extremely misleading and implied inside cabins qualified for perks when in fact they did not. Even going so far as booking the cabin online and it let me choose my perk. Wasn't until I called I found the information was incorrect. They finally changed the wording after many complaints. I don't believe it was bait and switch but I can see how he feels mislead.

It has been mentioned that for $7.50 how could you expect virgin drinks to be included. Princess has a drink package called the Ultimate Soda & more and for $8.05 (Including the service charge) includes soda, virgin drinks, juice and hot chocolate from the coffee bar. Even good for virgin drinks on their private island. I think the OP has some valid points in his case. Usually when someone who works for a company tells you something you tend to take their word for it. I remember last October some of their promotional pages were extremely misleading and implied inside cabins qualified for perks when in fact they did not. Even going so far as booking the cabin online and it let me choose my perk. Wasn't until I called I found the information was incorrect. They finally changed the wording after many complaints. I don't believe it was bait and switch but I can see how he feels mislead.

Except all of the "fine print" and information in the Terms and Booking etc says otherwise. His was a case where the person he was talking to simply gave him the wrong info.

The cruise consultants aren't always reliable, which is why I would say that unless you have it in writing, don't trust it.

I found it interesting that a phone rep, when simply asked what was included, would use the phrase "watered down juice" as part of their response.

First of all...this!!!! LMAOOOOO I thought the same thing.

Also, as strange and ranting as your posts are, I'm pretty sure the majority of us on here want to help you, OP...Cruise Critic is a very warm community from what I've experienced so far. We just wish you wanted help in return instead of solely complaining and not answering any of our questions.

Many people asked several times if these were purchased by you or included and if the adults have the Ultimate Beverage Package or not. The picture shows the wording, but you said you have multiple rooms as "that's how you roll," so if you could just tell us who has what (regardless of what it includes), that would help.

Honestly, it sounds like you're not even interested in soda for the kids, and you just wanted them to have virgin drinks...which is fine. My solution: if you paid for it, just cancel their soda packages and get them virgin drinks using your and the other adults' packages. If you didn't pay for it, well, you're not out of money...and still use the adults' packages to get them virgin drinks like other posters have mentioned.

Lastly, as many have said (and you seem to be ignoring), the agent you spoke with clearly misspoke...not maliciously and definitely not to be taken out on NCL in general. I was a solid Carnival person, and once I switched to NCL, I didn't want to go back to Carnival. Hopefully you will enjoy your cruise and not judge too early. Peace, y'all~ :)

June 2006: Carnival Legend, New York-->Eastern Caribbean

March 2007: Carnival Conquest, Galveston-->Western Caribbean

March 2011: Carnival Valor, Miami-->Exotic Western Caribbean

August 2012: Carnival Freedom, Ft. Lauderdale-->Western Caribbean

April 2013: Carnival Valor, San Juan-->Southern Caribbean

August 2015: Norwegian Getaway, Miami-->Eastern Caribbean

March 2016: Norwegian Getaway, Miami-->Western Caribbean

June 2016: Norwegian Pearl, Seattle-->Alaska

Edited by zackarykeef

Honestly, it sounds like you're not even interested in soda for the kids, and you just wanted them to have virgin drinks...which is fine. My solution: if you paid for it, just cancel their soda packages and get them virgin drinks using your and the other adults' packages. If you didn't pay for it, well, you're not out of money...and still use the adults' packages to get them virgin drinks like other posters have mentioned.

That solution sounds very reasonable and others have suggested the same. But at this point, it sounds like he's not even interested in a reasonable solution... it sounds like he wants to stick it to them and force NCL to give him what he thought he was buying out of some sort of "principle".

Except all of the "fine print" and information in the Terms and Booking etc says otherwise. His was a case where the person he was talking to simply gave him the wrong info.

The cruise consultants aren't always reliable, which is why I would say that unless you have it in writing, don't trust it.

I think bait and switch is a bit much. But if you can't trust the company's employees, isn't that a pretty serious problem?

I think bait and switch is a bit much. But if you can't trust the company's employees, isn't that a pretty serious problem?

It's always a serious problem when people don't bother to read their cruise contract and deal terms posted on NCL website.

I agree that it is unfortunate that the lady gave him the wrong information. But at the end of the day, he is getting exactly what he paid for, it's just that it isn't what he thought it was going to be. He hasn't sailed yet, so he has time to adjust. He could easily cancel it and be out nothing. I suppose he thinks he should be compensated for all of "the trouble".

People are human and mistakes get made. How you respond to someone who made a mistake says a lot about you. Most people let it go and move on and understand. But others seem hellbent on making people "pay". I am willing to bet people in the first group have lower blood pressure and are happier that the people in the second group.

It depends. We really don't know whether the rep was incorrect or there was just a misunderstanding.

For example, it is entirely possible that the rep may have thought that the question was whether the UBP included those drinks.

There is not a company on earth that you can deal with without the possibility of misunderstandings. That's why it is worth making sure if possible, maybe by checking the website.

Having said that, from other reports on these boards, it does seem that the NCL reps don't have a great record. That also doesn't make them too much different from a lot of companies.

It's always a serious problem when people don't bother to read their cruise contract and deal terms posted on NCL website.

Spare me. Anytime you have to refer someone back to the contract, which you intentionally don't want them to read, you've messed up.

I agree that it is unfortunate that the lady gave him the wrong information. But at the end of the day, he is getting exactly what he paid for, it's just that it isn't what he thought it was going to be. He hasn't sailed yet, so he has time to adjust. He could easily cancel it and be out nothing. I suppose he thinks he should be compensated for all of "the trouble".

People are human and mistakes get made. How you respond to someone who made a mistake says a lot about you. Most people let it go and move on and understand. But others seem hellbent on making people "pay". I am willing to bet people in the first group have lower blood pressure and are happier that the people in the second group.

I completely agree. This is really a mountain out of a molehill. Also, at the end of the day he isn't going to get what he wants. There is no easy way for NCL to give his kids virgin drinks, even if they wanted to do it. Unless the system is set up for it, which it almost certainly isn't, the bartender would have to call the bar manager each and every time they got a drink. I can pretty much promise you, that isn't going to happen. Plus, half the other kids on the ship would be demanding the same thing.

My point still stands. I know we are all human and make mistakes, I certainly do as well. But I really have noticed a reoccurring theme on this board. NCL reps are not to be believed. That is pretty sad, don't you think?

Except that reducing the daily gratuities would be largely punishing the cabin steward, and the dining room waiters, etc. who did not create the situation. That doesn't seem right to me to punish hard-working people simply because he is annoyed with NCL.

If he truly wants to "punish" NCL, a better idea would be for him to cancel his booking entirely, take his business to some other cruiseline, and allow NCL to sell the cabin to someone who wants to be there.

I don't aree that he would be punishing the hard working people. NCL doesn't divulge how the DSC is distributed, so they can replace the funds that are returned to those who feel they should be reimbursed.

If OP was sold the virgin pina coladas at booking, and later has to pay for them, NCL can bear the brunt their employees error and replace the funds.

Edited by swedish weave

My point still stands. I know we are all human and make mistakes, I certainly do as well. But I really have noticed a reoccurring theme on this board. NCL reps are not to be believed. That is pretty sad, don't you think?

Agree with you there. It's why at all costs we try to avoid calling NCL directly, and why we use a travel agent and get them to deal with NCL.

The whole discussion about the word "ultimate" or the label attached to the package is kind of besides the point, isn't it?

If the NCL agent told the OP the package for the kids would include smoothies, he has reason to be upset. I get that OP's message boarding style and snark makes it difficult to be on his side about that, but that's how I see it. Is it a valid response to say, "never rely on NCL agents on the phone, read the fine print"? I dunno. That's a question for lawyers. I mean, NCL phone people work for NCL. You should be able to trust their word.

Now, was it a miscommunication or misunderstanding? We'll never know. We only have OP's word. But if those words were actually spoken, I'd be mad too, and wouldn't take particularly well to the suggestion that it's my fault that someone trying to sell me something misled me.

I also think it's lame that if you have 1A and 1C in a cabin, and select the UBP for 2 promo, the child can't get a smoothie. The second passenger should get everything in the package except the things he or she is not legally allowed to drink. That's certainly what I would expect if I read all the promo stuff about two passengers getting the UBP. I'd figure we both get the UBP, but obviously my kid can't drink the alcohol. Passengers 3 and 4 are a different story, but in a 1A/1C cabin, that certain seems like a reasonable expectation, and frankly, I can't understand why NCL wouldn't see it that way. Why wouldn't you give the second passenger the UBP but just not serve him or her alcohol if he's not of age? If you could get someone higher up at NCL with common sense, I bet even they would agree that is what the rule should be. My guess is the only reason it's not the rule is that it's logistically difficult -- they would have to create a psuedo-category and it would be weird if kids were walking around with a sticker that implied they could drink spirits. Still, I can certainly understand (if in fact OP has a 1A/1C cabin) why he would be confused on this and indeed misled.

The other issue is that other lines DO include these drinks, so it's a natural question for them to ask NCL, and we know that their shoreside CSRs will give you 7 different answers if you call 5 times.

Not for anything, but if you have to call back 5 times to ask the same question, maybe the reps aren't totally at fault. Consider how many times the OP was given the same answer in this thread....