Hotels in Miami?

SeattleSuz

So, the last time we cruised, we flew into FLL and stayed there for one night before taking an expensive van into the port of Miami to get on our cruise. After we got back, we rented a car for the rest of the land vacation. However, this year, I am thinking of doing the reverse, and flying into FLL, renting a car and staying in Miami before our cruise. I'm wondering this though, are there car rental places near the port where we could return the car? Or do we need to return the car to MIA and catch a cab back to the port?? Just trying to work out all of the technical parts of this, so that it's not such a cluster trying to get around, to the port, airport, etc.

And are there hotels in MIA that maybe do a shuttle to the port?? Preferred hotels?

TIA!

Edited by SeattleSuz

You could drive into Miami, drop the car off at MIA, then Uber to your Hotel/Port. Then vice-versa the way home.

Would it be smarter for us to plan to fly back to SEA the same day/evening we get off the ship and just hang out in MIA? Trying to figure out if we should stay in Miami Beach an extra night and somehow get back to FLL the next morning.

No return at the port....even if the car places say they are. We had to drop at MIA and use the rental place shuttle. I was a bit peeved when I found out where the GPS was taking us to!

Also check on TripAdvisor for other hotel ideas. I used one by the airport and they offered FREE bus to the port

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Avis, and at least one other company, has a location near the port that offers a free shuttle service to and from the port. We did exactly as you described: we flew into FLL, picked up a car at FLL, drove to out hotel in MIA, and then dropped off the car near the port the next day.

Edit: here's where we dropped...

2f7779748f73b9ea53e36e8cc0d8adc3.jpg

Edited by TheDougOut

I'm assuming you need to fly into Fort Lauderdale because of your preferred airline? Otherwise I guess I think it'd be easier to fly to Miami. We always stay at the Airport Hilton. Then a cab ride to the port.

Yeah, its easier for us to get a direct flight from SEA to FLL, as opposed to the flights to MIA. And yeah, I'm kind of a fan of Alaska. :)

Avis, and at least one other company, has a location near the port that offers a free shuttle service to and from the port. We did exactly as you described: we flew into FLL, picked up a car at FLL, drove to out hotel in MIA, and then dropped off the car near the port the next day.

Edit: here's where we dropped...

2f7779748f73b9ea53e36e8cc0d8adc3.jpg

Oh wow, that's nice! I normally like Alamo, but might have to change that if it's easier.

So, after the cruise, how did you get back to FLL?

We actually booked a rental car online while standing at the port after we got off the ship. It was some other national company (enterprise?) that didn't have a port location, but had free shuttle to the location at MIA airport. We got the car and drove to FLL area and killed time at a mall before heading to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey y'all! I live in Miami so just fyi...Uber is super cheap here, and taxis are not. Definitely take advantage of that if you need to...an Uber from the airport (MIA) will be <$20, likely ~$15...just in case you need to return your car there or stay at a hotel in the area. An Uber from FLL airport to downtown Miami/POM is ~$50. Hope that helps. Good luck and have a blast!

June 2006: Carnival Legend, New York-->Eastern Caribbean

March 2007: Carnival Conquest, Galveston-->Western Caribbean

March 2011: Carnival Valor, Miami-->Exotic Western Caribbean

August 2012: Carnival Freedom, Ft. Lauderdale-->Western Caribbean

April 2013: Carnival Valor, San Juan-->Southern Caribbean

August 2015: Norwegian Getaway, Miami-->Eastern Caribbean

March 2016: Norwegian Getaway, Miami-->Western Caribbean

June 2016: Norwegian Pearl, Seattle-->Alaska

Best hotel in Miami is the Hampton Inn/Brickell in downtown Miami. Beautiful property, close to great restaurants, free breakfast and easy access to port. We are also flying into FLL, but like this hotel so much that we are staying two nights pre-cruise to relax and enjoy the Brickell area. There's so much to see and do at this location in Miami.

Edited by barb65
Added more information

SAS Shuttle is good. $15 PP.

Our flight doesnt leave for SEA until 6:30pm, so as much as I would love to just take a shuttle back, we'd be carting around our luggage... Good call on SAS though, I might use them if we can get an earlier flight! $45 isnt bad for all three of us!

We actually booked a rental car online while standing at the port after we got off the ship. It was some other national company (enterprise?) that didn't have a port location, but had free shuttle to the location at MIA airport. We got the car and drove to FLL area and killed time at a mall before heading to the airport.

I REALLY like this idea!! I never thought about renting a car just for a few hours. I guess it might be a bit more hassle, but still cheaper than a taxi or shuttle and we could still go hang out at the FLL beaches while we wait for our flights!

Another vote for the rental car option.

We had an evening departure from MIA, but FLL would be just the same. Make sure you have your booking beforehand (they did ask us to show it before taking us to the rental center) and just get a porter to take you to the rental shuttle stop outside the ship to the new rental center at MIA. We collected the car and spent the best part of the day with a trip out into the Everglades. Had a great trip out on an airboat and then went back to the airport.

Edited by old nutter

So, the last time we cruised, we flew into FLL and stayed there for one night before taking an expensive van into the port of Miami to get on our cruise. After we got back, we rented a car for the rest of the land vacation. However, this year, I am thinking of doing the reverse, and flying into FLL, renting a car and staying in Miami before our cruise. I'm wondering this though, are there car rental places near the port where we could return the car? Or do we need to return the car to MIA and catch a cab back to the port?? Just trying to work out all of the technical parts of this, so that it's not such a cluster trying to get around, to the port, airport, etc.

And are there hotels in MIA that maybe do a shuttle to the port?? Preferred hotels?

TIA!

just use uber or lyft to get from whatever hotel you stay in to the port. WAY WAY WAY cheaper than private taxi or van.

if you havent used it before, use code xneos for uber for free rides.

just use uber or lyft to get from whatever hotel you stay in to the port. WAY WAY WAY cheaper than private taxi or van.

if you havent used it before, use code xneos for uber for free rides.

We've used Uber a couple of times, here (Canada) and in Europe, half the price and great service.

Best hotel in Miami is the Hampton Inn/Brickell in downtown Miami. Beautiful property, close to great restaurants, free breakfast and easy access to port. We are also flying into FLL, but like this hotel so much that we are staying two nights pre-cruise to relax and enjoy the Brickell area. There's so much to see and do at this location in Miami.

This is really good to hear. We (12 of us) are flying in at noon on Good Friday and staying at the Hampton. What do you suggest we do around there for the day? Six adults and Six 17 year old girls. Don't want to spend a lot on a great dinner since we will be eating well all week, but don't want to eat at McDonald's either.

Yeah, its easier for us to get a direct flight from SEA to FLL, as opposed to the flights to MIA. And yeah, I'm kind of a fan of Alaska. :)

We are also flying from SEA next January for our Escape cruise. We ended up deciding on flying to MIA. Even with the one stop each way, we figured it'll be nicer to be in Miami and not have to deal with further transport once we landed in Florida.

We are flying in the night before and leaving the day the ship returns.

What you could look into if you don't want to do the rental car is a hotel with a day rate. I know the MCO Hyatt has one in Orlando (we've used it a couple times). I imagine there are hotels in Miami/FLL that do as well

Edited by Tasm3n

No need to rent a car. You can just walk and also take taxis.

I would recommend staying in the downtown Miami area.

Hotels to consider include:

Hampton Inn

Holiday Inn Bayside

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Hyatt

JW Marriott.

Keith

I never rent a car in Downtown Miami. UBER works well. Also they have a free Trolley System in the Downtown Area. Remember to order the correct size car when using UBER especially if you carry a lot of luggage.

So I wouldn't rent a car UBER from FLL to downtown Miami . Then anywhere else, walk, ride, or UBER. Besides Parking is costly also.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk