Haven Forward Facing Penthouse

Suze10860

A new morning, a new thought.

Anyone able to comment on a Haven Forward Facing Penthouse (H7) on the Breakaway?

Odd balcony? Location on different decks? Not actually in the Haven? Have you stayed in one and have an opinion?

Thanks.

Sitting in the Haven Lounge one afternoon, I overheard 2 guys at the bar discussing their cabins. One of them who had a FF penthouse said to the other "It really gives you the most bang for your buck". He said although the balcony is small, it wasn't an issue for him since he likes going up to the sundeck or to Spice H2O anyways.

Here is a link to a video of a Getaway FF penthouse.

I have not stayed in one of these, as I prefer the aft suites, but have been in one. I thought the FF was a very nice suite.

Also I recall having seen a clip of the deck 13 suites, and the layout was very spacious, and a bit different. However the deck 13 suites have a "hull balcony". That isn't such a horrible thing, as they are 100% private. I had a hull balcony on QM2 on a TA, and it was so private and sheltered from the wind... absolutely loved it.

• Like 1

It really depends on what is important to you. I stay in the Courtyard because being in the courtyard and having the Haven deck, restaurant etc. there is important to me. People that are care more about room size seem to gravitate toward the forward suites. People that care about the balcony gravitate toward the aft.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to investigate all of my options. I've watched that video and I do agree that the size of the room itself is pretty nice. The balcony - not so much. The fact that I'm currently in a mini suite with a large balcony is making it a much harder call for me.

I can argue myself into so many different decisions! While I've always considered the balcony very important for lounging on, I think that in the Haven, I would hopefully be able to get lots of relaxing and reading done on a lounge chair on their sundeck. If I want real privacy, my little balcony is always there - just in a regular chair as opposed to a lounger.

As far as being "in" the Haven, we definitely don't mind walking to get there. Actually, we really enjoy walking as much as possible.

The reason I'm (obviously) overthinking this is because this is the first, and possibly only, time that I've been given the opportunity to consider an upsell to the Haven. If I can get either the Courtyard Penthouse, Spa Suite or Forward Facing Penthouse in to my price range...

suze i looked at my spreadsheet that i made a month ago, today, since i changed my booking to bahamas. here's one fun way i thought about the haven rooms at that time:

the old haven spa room i was going to book was 2299. with 322 tax it was 4920 on my fake booking. the value of the 4 freebees was 1139 for drink, 125 for 1 gig of data, 150 for 3 port credit, 148 specialty restaurants so the 'real' cost of the cruise was 3358

numbers can be played with to justify anything :)

you seem analytical like me. i forget where you are going but the FF penthouse is 2349 to bermuda on 10/16 and the haven spa is 2499. its fun to make up spreadsheets of all the dates and room types. but you probably already did it.

I have stayed in the forward penthouse suite 12106 on the Breakaway and loved it. There is so much room. Loved having a living and dining room.

The private bedroom is a big plus. There was a ton of drawer space and

3 closets in the bedroom. The bath was fabulous. My daughter loved the

tub. The balcony is small, 2 chairs and a table, but had more then

enough space for my daughter and myself.

I did not mind not being in the Haven courtyard. We just took the stairs up

to the courtyard. Still received the same excellent service.

I would not hesitate to book this room again.

I was in a forward penthouse on Getaway.

The pluses:

Beautiful and lots of space.

HUGE bathroom

I loved the balcony and the partial hull made it cool

The living room and dining area are cool to hang in, eat, and watch TV

The minus:

It is a LONG LONG walk anywhere. To go back to the cabin for something takes a good walk. I always said I would take the extra space over location. After the cruise I sort of changed my mind and could sacrifice space for location. Now I am evenly split :eek:

Edited by david_sobe

Hello!

WE were accustomed to the 2BR suites in the Haven with our 3 kids. Not very impressive on the Getaway. Switched to a FFP with connecting balcony room last summer.

It was amazing. Are booked in one for our anniversary cruise this fall.

We found it to be the most private suite that we have been in on NCL. Very quiet location, the walk to the elevators or stairs is not remarkable unless you have toddlers to schlep junk for.

As opposed to regular PH or mini suites- the door between the bedroom and living room allows for different sleep schedules. Morning coffee doesnt disturb your sleep partner.

Butler service is the same as we have had in Haven proper across the NCL line.

Annie

Gosh. Every single response here helps me! Thank you so much.

As far as the mini suite large balcony "privacy" issue - while I definitely don't love people above me looking down, I guess I consider it a trade-off for the huge amount of space.

And it was great to hear about how large and beautiful the cabins are. Also, while I appreciate (and totally understand) what you're saying about the walking, I do feel pretty confident that it wouldn't be an issue for either me or my husband. On past cruises, we go out of our way to walk all over. No elevators allowed. Lots of walking without even a destination.

And just to confirm: Getaway and Breakaway should be exactly the same, right?

Thank you! Those pictures you linked are some of the best (and most complete) I've seen so far. And finally, what I've considered the most elusive of all: the retractable roof open! I think that's actually the first I've seen.

At this point I feel like I'm in a sort of a win:win situation. I've set the price I'm willing to pay for an upsell. If it happens, I'll be one happy Suze. However, if I stay in my mini suite with large balcony, I really don't have much to complain about there either. And I'll then have some extra $$ just burning a hole in my pocket I guess. So right now only time (and the upsell department) will tell.

Thank you so much to everyone for their help.

One more quick question: I thought that on the front facing penthouses, there was a bedroom window that actually faced forward, and the balcony was on the side of the ship. Is that true and is it still super windy there?

One more quick question: I thought that on the front facing penthouses, there was a bedroom window that actually faced forward, and the balcony was on the side of the ship. Is that true and is it still super windy there?

Hi Suze! I just sailed in January in a forward-facing penthouse on the Getaway - cabin 12106. The bedroom window does face forward - it's more like a porthole, I thought. The balcony is on the side of the ship, but it is slightly protected by a bit of a 'cove' to the front. Much less windy than true forward-facing penthouses I've sailed in previously with the huge balcony at the front! :eek:

In general, the 3 of us loved the suite and booked it for the extra room instead of the H5 suites that were actually in the Haven. I quite liked the extra walking to help balance all of the extra food and drinks. :D The layout was fantastic, and the bathroom was heavenly. I don't think you can go wrong booking one! :)

True dat.

There is no excessive wind since the balcony is on the side and has a partial hull balcony. The forward porthole does not open.

Oh...I forgot one thing. The motion of the ship with the bed is different like other forward suites. The bed does not face forward. This does bother some people since the movement is not foot to head rather side to side. I read about this before I sailed. It is different than other forward cabins and suites and regular cabins where the motion is head to foot. It took awhile to get used to but it was fine for me. Someone posted here that this bothered them and the butler helped them move the bed to face forward.

Because you are forward and on high decks, you have the most motion than anywhere on the ship. I don't get sea sick so it was not a problem.

Edited by david_sobe

Thanks once again. No one is really making me NOT want to jump on these particular cabins if the opportunity presents itself. Luckily, I don't think that seasickness is an issue. Nothing on any past cruise has ever indicated that it might be...

So, as I said before, I'll have to leave it in the hands of the Upsell Gods as the cruise gets closer. What will be, will be. (And of course, I've not totally taken a Haven Spa or Courtyard Penthouse out of the mix. At this point in time, I guess it's all about the Benjamins!!)

I've stayed in forward suites a few times and they really are great. Not sure if this matters to you but keep in mind that once the ship is underway it can get quite windy out on the balcony.

Enjoy your cruise,

Tracy

On Getaway/ Breakaway the balcony is not facing forward. Same position as any standard cabin. Ours adjoined our kids balcony stateroom

they may not advise you that this forward cabin does NOT have a reg balcony!!! it is like an enclosed metal room with a small picture window!!!! also no separate dining or bedroom-> learned the hard way!!!

:eek:

they may not advise you that this forward cabin does NOT have a reg balcony!!! it is like an enclosed metal room with a small picture window!!!! also no separate dining or bedroom-> learned the hard way!!!

:eek:

That is the handicap access FFP . Both on 13 have the hull balcony.,

This is good warning- thanks!

I stayed in 11706 on the breakaway. Loved the cabin and forward facing porthole. The bedroom is separated from the living/dining room by a door, and from the large bathroom by a door. As someone else said, the bed faces the side of the ship, which gives a bit of a swinging motion vs side to side rocking motion. Personally, I prefer it over the bed facing forward/aft. The balcony was small but less windy because of the bulkhead which enclosed some of it.

A few other things to consider when deciding between the two is the spa haven suite includes spa access, has a hot tub in the cabin and the balconies seem to be a little bigger (longer) than the forward haven penthouse. I hope to book one of these in a future cruise.

Hello Suze, we just got back from the 2/21 sailing on the Breakaway. We were in the Haven as well (9106).

I have some walking issues and it didn't bother me at all. Not much of a reason to go back and forth when you get to the haven as they will cater to your every need. Only had to go back and forth a few times a day. We sailed previously in a regular suite and if you have the opportunity to book the haven. I highly recommend it. We had an amazing time.

We stayed in a FFP on the Breakaway and loved it. The walk to the courtyard isn't bad. But if you go to the buffet it's a long walk. The buffet is at the rear of this ship. If you want quiet time, the haven courtyard is great. Never crowed either. You also get to use the Haven Restaurant which is great. They also have a sauna and hot tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk