The coin?

turtleash

So I have recently found something new out on cruise ships well at least about Carnival Ships and curious is this all ships all cruise lines. So aboard somewhere, there is a cruise coin with ship name and date. I like the idea of it being a secret so you can find it while aboard and have some fun with it. Anyone know if this is a Carnival thing or all lines? If it's all lines I will be on the Summit at end of March and want to search for it!

So I have recently found something new out on cruise ships well at least about Carnival Ships and curious is this all ships all cruise lines. So aboard somewhere, there is a cruise coin with ship name and date. I like the idea of it being a secret so you can find it while aboard and have some fun with it. Anyone know if this is a Carnival thing or all lines? If it's all lines I will be on the Summit at end of March and want to search for it!

I have heard about this, was under the impression that they do this at an early part of construction and it is in a place that you're not going to see. I think they used to put it in the keel but the way they construct ships now, not sure where it is.

It´s a tradition to lay a coin under the keel during the keellaying of a ship. That coin (or coins) are collected after the float up of a ship. Meyer is doing this, so does Fincantieri.

I know where the coins of the Oasis class ships are. I have no idea where the coins of the Celebrity ships are located. It can be any kind of coin like a quarter or a especially designed coin for this ceremony.

Here you will find a photo of the keel laying ceremony of the MSC Meraviglia a couple of weeks ago in St. Nazaire (STX France).

steamboats

THANKS everyone! I am gathering just from what I have read Carnival Ships are on the outside deck areas and not in the same location, and people go around looking for them. If I run across Captain Katie on the Summit I may have to ask her if Celebrity puts them in places that can be found or viewed.

Well if they put it at the bottom of a martini glass there is a good chance I will find it.

Haha I like the way you think! If this is something on the ship we are going to play a game. Who ever finds it first everyone in the group buys that person drinks!

On our cruise on the Constellation a few weeks ago Captain Tasos did a talk on the construction of the Solstice which he supervised. He had photos of the coin ceremony and the coin was welded to the very bottom decking of the ship, on top of the inner hull plate. He said that was typical for Celebrity ships, so you are not very likely to find it.

He also noted that it was a commemorative coin and those present at the ceremony received one as well, and he always has his in his pocket.

If you ever have the pleasure of sailing with Captain Tasos as Master, be sure you go to this talk!