Appendicitis on the ship - In case you wonder what happens

caymancouple

Day 5 of a Celebrity Eclipse southern Caribbean cruise we were sent by ambulance to a "private hospital". Evidentially the local hospital is not the best. We had the best care at the hospital, though our credit card was charged 28,000 US dollars before he was seen, an eye opener at that!!!! Celebrity handled the situation well. Final diagnosis was blood clots in the lungs, not shadows of pneumonia.

Thanks too for posting. Glad to read about outcome and how both Celebrity onboard reacted and port agent reacted.

Interesting note about annual travel insurance. Will check into that.

Hope you do get to take the Infinity around the horn again. It is a great cruise. We did around the horn and loved it.

We have been on cruises with air transports several times, once we actually had two but one really stands out.

We did a cruise in the early 90s with the whole family on American Family Cruises which was a cruise line set up for families by Costa. I guess they were a little ahead of their time since they only lasted a few months. The cruise was a bit weird from the beginning as some type of political unrest was going on in the Caribbean, if I remember correctly it was in Haiti. As a result from almost the time we left Miami we began seeing multiple US Navy ships of all types.

During the cruise a boy apparently choked on a bone in the dining room and for whatever reason there were complications. The decision was made to transport him and a US Navy Helicopter came to pick him up. This was before landing pads so they lifted him up into the chopper. We found out that he was transported to a US Aircraft Carrier and they told us later everything was fine.

I can just see this kids report when he went back to school and the teacher asked what did you do this summer.

Great to hear the good news and happy conclusion to the story. With all the Celebrity bashing that does come off this forum.., much of it trivial..., it's also worthwhile to compliment Celebrity for the excellent handling of this situation. Nothing is more scary than being alone in a foreign country, having to deal with a medical emergency.

Nice work Celebrity !!!

Edited by runningtide

I am surprised at the number of you reporting that you do not have travel insurance. I thought it was mandatory. I generally sail on Cunard and I have to fill in details of my travel insurance before I can get my travel documents from them.

I am surprised at the number of you reporting that you do not have travel insurance. I thought it was mandatory. I generally sail on Cunard and I have to fill in details of my travel insurance before I can get my travel documents from them.

Not mandatory (at least in the US).

We don't have it. It is like any other insurance, you need to decide if the risk/reward is worth it.

I don't see reason to have it, but that doesn't mean it is the correct decision.

I suppose if I had a $80,000 bill for evacuation I would have different opinion, but I think I will take my chances!

nce. Will check into that.

Hope you do get to take the Infinity around the horn again. It is a great cruise. We did around the horn and loved it.

Husband is already talking about booking it again next January... I on the other hand am a little reluctant.... although this happened January 20th, and we took a cruise Feb. 14.... our daughter asked her Dad to come back with all the parts he left with.... LOL