Photo Review- 1st Timer on Journey: Questions Were Asked, Answers Were Learned!

Familygoboston

We had to cancel as DH needed surgery - he's all fixed now and we're looking forward to being back on the Journey in Nov - Chennai to Singapore

Hopefully catch you on a future cruise

Oh, dear, I'm sorry, yes of course, I forgot that! I so glad he's better, and you'll be back on the road soon!

I just reread your entire review. Terrific job, we are very excited to see the reimagine and sail into the Caribbean once again. My wife Jane and I can see the Journey from a window on the other side of the hotel where we are currently staying. We board the Journey at 1:30, following a Coast Guard inspection, for the B2B West Indies/Temples cruises. If you happen to read this before you get to Boston, don't watch the Boston weather forecast for a few days. Hold on the to glow and warmth of the Caribbean a little longer.

Thanks again for live reviewing your cruise.

Safe travels.

Jim

I just reread your entire review. Terrific job, we are very excited to see the reimagine and sail into the Caribbean once again. My wife Jane and I can see the Journey from a window on the other side of the hotel where we are currently staying. We board the Journey at 1:30, following a Coast Guard inspection, for the B2B West Indies/Temples cruises. If you happen to read this before you get to Boston, don't watch the Boston weather forecast for a few days. Hold on the to glow and warmth of the Caribbean a little longer.

Thanks again for live reviewing your cruise.

Safe travels.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Have a great trip...you are getting out of town at just the right time...mud season!

Its grey and raw today...so I'll be writing!:D Have a super cruise!

Feb 15 Golfito

Do They Want Us Here or NOT?

The port of Golfito in Golfo Dulce

162704129.jpg

Ok, I understand why Costa Rican immigration might want to do a face check of every passenger. The weather is regularly in 80's, the flowers are gorgeous, the health care is free for all, the coffee is great and let's face it, more than a few people in the same demographic as Journey passengers have set up their retirement homes in Costa Rica! They need to make sure after our visit, we all LEAVE!

So I didn't feel unwelcome just because they wanted to say hello personally and stamp my passport, but when they wouldn't let us dock, I started to take it a little personally! There hadn't exactly built a "wall", but when we arrived at the appointed time there was a freighter in our docking space.

(Excuse me!! But I think I put my towel there this morning!)

162704131.jpg

(ah, there's our "space")

162704130.jpg

(don't you think they'd rather have this parked out front- doesn't Journey look lovely!)

162704133.jpg

Our arrival had already been pushed back by an hour two weeks before we sailed. So you can understand my feeling a little hurt.

(Parenthetical speculation: it's hard to imagine Azamara would choose to make such a change, after all the documents were sent out, what with needing to contact all passengers and their TA's at the last minute. So I have no choice but to pin that change on Golfito port authorities too.)

When the time came and went for us to be docked, Capt Tysse announced that the freighter needed to move out of the way, but also that the local navigation pilot wasn't available to board and guide us in. The Capt was wonderful about keeping us informed and while he was calm, he made no secret of his disappointment at the "welcome" we were currently receiving.

At about 8:00, 60 minutes after our docking time, Capt. Tysse announced that the tanker had moved and he had informed the port authorities that he was bringing Journey into the dock, and that the local pilot could "join us when he is ready" ! :eek: There were no bumps in docking, and Capt T explained that one of his senior officers managed to get us in safely without the sleepy head pilot (I hope they didn't have to pay the guy!)

Once docked, and immigration got set up, the ships crew had the process very well organized and those of us with early excursions were down the gangway shortly after 8 AM, and Capt Tysse must have "negotiated" a longer port stay till 7:30 PM, which he announced as we were cleared. (Passengers doing B2B did NOT have to pass through immigration, as they were considered "in transit" meaning immigration officials could be sure they would LEAVE!)

Despite the late start, we had a beautiful day in Golfito. We had arranged a private tour through my Costa Rica Travel planner. Our onward travel in Coast Rica was also planned through this agency, with whom I've usually had very good experiences, (as have friends I've referred) I had contacted my travel planner as soon as our itinerary time changed 2 weeks earlier, so I was a little surprised when the later arrival had not been communicated to the tour guides who had been waiting quite a while, thinking we would be there at 7AM. There was also a bit of confusion about included activities. I'm not sure where the confusion was, but I intend to find out because I have a family I referred traveling with them soon, and I need to be sure they don't have any similar sanfus. Luckily, our guides were consummate pros and handled the issues with aplomb, and we went on to have a great day on the Gulfo Dulce!

Feb 15 Golfito

So What DO Termites Taste Like?

We spent a glorious day on the the Golfo Dulce, we took a boat tour out onto the gulf and hoped to see dolphins, possibly whales, we were going to be taken to a botanical garden and have a chance to snorkel. Our Guide Randy got us settled safely and comfortably on the boat. Most of us on the this independent tour had already been acquainted on our Cartagena tour.

Our guide Randy

162704135.jpg

Our friends in another boat with their private boat tour, our boat was about the same size, but was a fishing boat with a couple of high seats up front.

162704132.jpg

Our first stop was this botanical garden, which was private and allowed our very knowledgeable guide to pick flowers and plants and show us their medicinal and food purposes.

162704138.jpg

And we did see many beautiful plants!

162704139.jpg

162704144.jpg

162704148.jpg

(for more photos of Jeff's plants, in Golfito, be sure to see our trip reports for Costa Rica at http://www.goseeittravel.com)

Feb 15 Golfito

So What DO Termites Taste Like?

We tasted a lot of yummy cooking plants and fruits in the garden, but some of us even got to taste some bugs! Randy explained that termites are full of protein and are actually very tasty, so they make a good source of protein for animals and even for hungry people. I'm open to trying new things, and I gave it try! A few people in our group also tried them, but I was the first victim, ... er volunteer.

Termites out of their termite mound

162704166.jpg

So do they taste like chicken? NO! I don't even eat chicken ordinarily, they taste piney, and are actually very refreshing! I would eat them if I was stuck in the woods, and I would eat them to freshen my breath if I couldn't brush (like on Survivor!) I don't love the idea of eating bugs, but these were really small and went down easy!

Randy decided that I was the brave one, so then he did this...

162704170.jpg

I'm glad I couldn't really see what was happening! (note: no anoles were harmed in the making of this photo, and it's little chomp is gentler than a clip on earring. After it realized it wouldn't be able to get me down in one swallow, it harmlessly slithered down the front of my shirt and hopped off into the leaf litter. However, I do have to admit the termite definitely didn't make it :( )

Randy's next crazy wildlife trick? Fortunately, he did this himself, and did not ask me to volunteer (this is where I might have drawn the line!) :eek:

162704163.jpg

I think the reason Randy could try some of these things was because this was a private botanical garden. At the National Parks we would visit later in the week with our Costa Rican Guides, no plants were ever picked and any bugs were handled gently, and wild animals would not be approached or handled at all.

Edited by Familygoboston

That spider thing would make me scream!!

Thant would have been the limit for me! I'm pretty adventurous, but ewww!

On the Costa Rica land part of our trip, we went on a night hike with the "Bug Lady" if you don't like creepy crawlies, that is not for the faint of heart!

Feb 15 Golfito

Golfo Dulce Tour

We went back into the boat to head to an ecolodge where we could have lunch, we spotted a few bottle-nose dolphins on the way.

This is one of the Land Discoveries trips (it's a trip on the water, which is sort of ironic) You can see the difference between these kinds of tours and the independent tour we took (with 10 people). But you read Cruise Critic, so you already know! Sometimes it's worth the extra effort to find a local private guide or independent tour to share with fewer fellow cruisers. In any case, the ships tour did also go to the same botanical gardens and did have time on the water to see dolphins.

162704152.jpg

Here is our boat...framed by the hammocks at the little ecolodge where we had our picnic lunch.

162704155.jpg

Having lunch, of sandwiches, fruit and pastries, which Randy and our boat captain laid out in the picnic area

162704156.jpg

After lunch we took a little hike around a trail at the ecolodge, a few in our group decided to relax in the hammocks while the rest of us went on the hike.

162704158.jpg

We did see some animals and interesting insects at the lodge.

Coati (one of the unique mammals in Coast Rica)

162704149.jpg

Leaf Cutter Ants (I find these endlessly fascinating to watch...they have a whole little civilization with differentiated roles.)

162704172.jpg

Feb 15 Golfito

Golfo Dulce Tour

We got back on the boat and our guide got word that there was a pod of Pantropical Dolphins nearby that we could go see.

We were fortunate, we got to see these dolphins so close up, that DH couldn't shoot them with the long lens he brought! While the guides were careful and respectful of their space, the dolphins came right by the boat and began interacting with the wake, surfing the waves behind us!

162704157.jpg

162704160.jpg

After seeing the dolphins, we headed back towards the ship and made a stop for a short swim and snorkel.

162704165.jpg

162704167.jpg

162704171.jpg

After cooling off a bit with a swim and snorkel- the water was like bath water, it wasn't much of a cool off, DH said he was actually perspiring in the water, we headed back to the ship.

Aboard the Azamara Journey for 22 days from Miami to Los Angeles in February 2016. By today’s mega ship standards, the Journey is a small ship with a maximum capacity of 660 guests. This allows for a more intimate experience where the staff gets to know the passengers. Also the ship can dock at the Bund in Shanghai and in town in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Vietnam whereas larger ship must dock away with longer times to get to the attractions.

CARTAGENA

Two delightful sea days before reaching Cartagena Columbia – a city of 1 million inhabitants founded in 1533 and a major center of early Spanish settlement. Gold from the western side of South America was transshipped from here to Spain. A massive fort and walled city was constructed to protect the city from privateers. 95% of the gold made it back to Spain.

The Old Town is quite charming. We had an “Azamara Amazing Evening” consisting of piano and dance music blending old and new themes at the Teatro Heredia. The Heredia was originally a 17th church later converted in 1911 to its present charming character.

PANAMA CANAL

We then made a daylight passage through the Panama Canal to Fuerte Amador. The Spanish considered a canal to transport gold from Peru. The French tried to build a sea level canal like Suez in the 1800’s but failed primarily due to malaria and the enormous amount of material that would need to be dredged.

Thanks to Teddy Roosevelt, the doctors who tamed malaria and more modern equipment, the US built a lock canal in the early 1900’s. The Gatun locks which rise 85 feet from the Atlantic. Gatun lake was created. It takes several hours to transit. There is a series of smaller locks on the Pacific side. The Charges river supplies the water to maintain the system.

The Canal Zone was returned to Panama at the end of 1999. The Chinese maintain operational control. Panama is building an adjacent canal with wider and deeper locks. Container ships will be able to carry three times the amount than through the old canal. It is expected to open in mid 2016. This will allow much larger ships to transit. It is partially viewable from the present canal. Both will operate to speed traffic.

The Chinese are planning a sea level canal through Nicaragua. It is now in environmental review status. It could impact the lives of 10,000 who rely on the water of what would become a canal lake. With global warming, Arctic transit is more probable and may mitigate the need for more canal construction.

EMBERA INDIAN VILLAGE

After an overnight in Fuerte Amador, we spent the entire day at a primitive Embera Indian village deep in the jungle. An enjoyable 45 minute canoe ride on a river and lake is required to reach it. We were entertained with local dancing and a fresh fish lunch. According to those who joined us, this was the highlight of the first leg of the voyage.

GOLFITO COST RICA

Our next stop was Golfito Costa Rica. The port was constructed in the 1930’s by the United Fruit Company and since abandoned. There is not much to do in the port itself. We spent the entire day on a 10 passenger boat exploring the panoramic Golfito Dulce watching for dolphins (unfortunately no whales visible) stopping at nature preserves and snorkeling the in clear water. The water is so warm, it feels almost like a hot tub.

QUEPOS COSTA RICA

Our next stop was Quepos Costa Rica. We experienced our first zip line adventure with TITI Canopy Tours. Gliding over the tree tops on a dozen runs, we got the hang of it after the first two lines. If you break too soon, you will stop before the end, and the guides will have to “rescue” you. We didn’t venture the “Tarzan swing” at the end since it required climbing a rope ladder to reach it. In summary, the experience was a little scary at first but certainly exhilarating and memorable.

PUERTO CALDERA COSTA RICA

After a restful day at sea, our last stop in Costa Rica was Puerto Caldera. This is a container port so we spent a good part of the day on a boat through the mangrove canals and bay. Much wildlife abounds in the trees but we did not see any crocodiles in the bay.

EL SALVADOR

We had another sea day to relax and enjoy the amenities on the ship before reaching Acajutla El Salvador. We arranged a private excursion for 39 persons in four vans with Cuscatlan Tours. We stopped in the small town of Izalco to taste pupusa -the national dish of El Salvador.

We then toured Joya de Ceren (now an UNESCO World Heritage Site) to see the ruins which were covered centuries ago from a volcanic eruption. The site was uncovered by accident when a bulldozer was digging in the area. We then stopped at the scenic volcanic Coatapeque lake.

The highlight of the day was a visit to the city of Santa Ana. The town including the mayor went all out to greet us. There was dancing in the square, a nice lunch and a view of the ruins of a former elite school. We finished the day at the small town of Ataco surrounded by coffee mountains. Being Friday during lent, we witnessed a few religious processions enroute. The country has a record of gang violence due to overpopulation and lack of work. However, we felt perfectly safe with our tour guides and the military presence in the tourist areas.

GUATEMALA

Our next stop was Puerto Quetzal Guatemala. This is the departure point for the old Spanish city of Antigua (another world heritage site). It retains its original 17th century feel since it was abandoned and the capital moved to Guatemala City after an earthquake. In more recent times, the city was restored and is now a major tourist attraction.

A volcano was “puffing” as we drove past. Most of the countries on the western coast of the Americas lie in a fault zone. Guatemala was plagued by turmoil during much of the second half of the 20th century. The political situation is now calming down. President Clinton apologized for the US role in backing a brutal counter-terrorism campaign the was responsible for the death of thousands of innocent civilians during this period.

HUATULCO MEXICO

Our next stop was Huatulco Mexico – a rather small area of 25,000 people that the Mexican government is investing in to make it an attractive resort. The cruise dock is only 11 years old. About 60% of the tourists are from Canada. There are many indigenous languages spoken with Spanish being the 2nd language in the countryside. We toured inland to see some of the local customs of growing cactus for food and medicinal purposes, adobe brick making (good insulator) and food preparation.

MANZANILLO MEXICO

After another restful sea day, our next stop was Manzanillo. Indian tribes thrived in the area from 2000 BC. We arranged a private tour (16 persons) to the highland city of Colima and the quaint Spanish town of Comala, where we toured a coffee factory and saw the bean bags arriving from the fields and being separated and processed. Each area claims that their coffee is the best but we didn’t have time to sample in each port.

We also visited some ancient pre-Mayan ruins and the private Alejandro Rangel Hildago Museum. Alejandro was a rather famous Mexican artist. His works are on display as well as a collection of pre-columbian ceramics that were found in the tombs in the area. The number of ship visits per year has decreased for 115 in 2005 down to 28 at present. Although Manzanillo is relatively safe, some fear it is too close to Acapulco where crime is more rampant.

PUERTO VALLARTA

Our next stop was Puerto Vallarta which draws a worldwide tourist clientele. It came to attention with the 1963 film – Night of the Iguana starring Richard Burton and Ava Gardner. One man, three women, one night was a shocker at that time. It only won the award for the best black and white film. Many people think that Liz Taylor was in that movie – not true. We saw Burton’s house with the bridge over the street connecting to Liz’s house where they were making their own movie.

We saw the point of land where the film was made but the house is no longer open to the public. Strolling along the Malecon which stretches for miles on the ocean, seeing the “Beverly Hills mansions by the sea as well as the famous Our Lady of Guadalupe church were enjoyable. The day was topped off with a tour of a tequila factory. Tasting the many varieties many for a happy group on the way back to the ship.

CABO SAN LUCAS

Our last stop in Mexico was Cabo San Lucas. The Baja California is the worlds 2nd longest peninsula. Average rainfall is only 10 days per year. Looks similar to the Arizona desert. Cabo was the most touristy stop and was loaded with shops of every description. Tourism is 90% of the business in Cabo. It is the second most touristy area in Mexico after Cancun. There are now about 48 cruise ships per month in season. Only one per week in the off-season. We walked the marina and downtown area on our first night in port.

The next day we took a private tour up the Baja to the old Spanish town of Todos Santos. Its heyday was during the sugar cane area but today it is a quiet little village to roam around without the crowds in Cabo. The highway is in good shape. There is some building on the way. Water must be trucked in to build before being able to hook up to the underground aquifer. Stopping at a beautiful beach on the way back we saw waves that were a surfers delight.

LOS ANGELES

After two more sea days to wind down, we arrived in San Pedro (Los Angeles). Rather than rushing to the airport, we decided to take a six hour tour focusing on parts of the city we seldom if ever saw - the San Fernando Valley, Hollywood Boulevard, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica, Venice and Marina Del Rey before heading to our hotel near LAX. The next day flight to Miami was uneventful and we made a good connection to the Tri-Rail before being picked up at Cypress Creek Station in Fort Lauderdale.

Feb 15 Golfito Feb 16 Quepos

There Was Great Sadness!

Sunset in Golfo Dulce

162704175.jpg

As we watched the sunset on the beautiful, wild Golfo Dulce, we were a little melancholy knowing that this was our last night, even though the it was not the official "last night" of the cruise. As I explained earlier, we had a 5 night stay planned at La Paloma Lodge in Drake Bay, which is also on the Pacific side, a little further north of Golfo Dulce. We had always wanted to spend time on the Osa Peninsula and tour the Corcovado National Park. We planned to do an early disembarkation in Quepos. If we had waited to disembark in Caldera, it would have required a flight and the loss of a whole day to travel. By disembarking in Quepos, we could make a transfer by van and boat and be at the lodge by lunch time. Also, we had already been to Quepos and Manual Antonio National Park and preferred to spend the 1/2 day in Drake Bay rather than Quepos, knowing we'd miss one last dinner and night onboard.

We had dinner at Discoveries with another couple from our tour, and made our way around the ship to say our early goodbyes.

Eric and the singers and dancers put on a wonderful show featuring Broadway tunes and and ABBA medley. It featured Eric in drag, and we'd post photos, but we are still hopeful Eric will pay the hush money ;)

We had an incredible cruise on Azamara Journey. Any small issues we had were resoled quickly, we enjoyed delicious food and some incredible destinations. But what left the biggest impression was the people we met, the officers, who took charge to prioritize our safety and enjoyment, the crew who provided cheerful service with passion for what they do, the fellow passengers who embraced each other and new destinations with excitement and positive attitudes and the wonderful folks we spent time on tours with, who I think of as new friends! (I've been in touch with several of you already sharing photos, and becoming face book friends!)

On Feb 16th

162704176.jpg

We arrived in Quepos and anchored. While friends headed to the National Parks or out zip lining, we grabbed our bags and disembarked. Capt Tysse happened to be at the tender gangway and when he saw us leaving with our luggage, he looked alarmed until we explained we weren't running off in a huff or because of some emergency, but had planned to leave a day early even before we boarded. (We had filled out paperwork on embarkation day to arrange this) We told him how pleased we were with our cruise and how sad we were to leave and then he seemed satisfied and arranged to have our bags handled on and off the tender for us!

The Port at Quepos

162704199.jpg

The port was set up for lots of deep sea fishing charters

162704200.jpg

While we knew we would miss Azamara, except for the folks going on to LA, everyone would be leaving soon, and we were excited to spend some time at La Paloma. We also had an incredible time there. The Osa peninsula, as advertised, had some of the most diverse and abundant wildlife we had ever experienced. The guides in Costa Rica are some of the most knowledgeable we've experienced, our fellow guests were friendly and interesting and La Paloma Lodge offered a luxury wilderness experience that we loved! If you'd like to follow our further adventures in Costa Rica...please check out our Costa Rica Trip Reports here:

http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog/?category=Costa+Rica

(We have several past reports up now and I'll be working on the most recent ones in the next several days)

By 1 PM on Feb 16th we arrived at La Paloma Lodge for lunch!

162704209.jpg

I hope readers have enjoyed following along with our trip! If you have a trip coming up soon on Azamara Journey, or are headed to one of these ports, I hope there is some information you can use to make your own trip "Azamaing"! Thanks to everyone who chimed in, and I am happy to answer questions about my experience on Azamara.

Hope to sail with you all one day!!

Aboard the Azamara Journey for 22 days from Miami to Los Angeles in February 2016. By today’s mega ship standards, the Journey is a small ship with a maximum capacity of 660 guests. This allows for a more intimate experience where the staff gets to know the passengers. Also the ship can dock at the Bund in Shanghai and in town in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Vietnam whereas larger ship must dock away with longer times to get to the attractions.

Ed- I am so glad you shared this! It's a wonderful review of your B2B! (if I could only be as succinct :rolleyes:) The one you sent me via email includes some wonderful photos, (maybe you might share a few here too or on another thread?) and I'm so glad the trip to LA was as wonderful as the first leg! Thanks for sharing!

Enjoyed the photos very much, thanks.

Thanks Bob, We truly enjoyed our time on Azamara, and we will absolutely be adding them to our list for future itineraries!

Feb 15 Golfito

Golfo Dulce Tour

We got back on the boat and our guide got word that there was a pod of Pantropical Dolphins nearby that we could go see.

We were fortunate, we got to see these dolphins so close up, that DH couldn't shoot them with the long lens he brought! While the guides were careful and respectful of their space, the dolphins came right by the boat and began interacting with the wake, surfing the waves behind us!

162704157.jpg

After cooling off a bit with a swim and snorkel- the water was like bath water, it wasn't much of a cool off, DH said he was actually perspiring in the water, we headed back to the ship.

Pass along my appreciation to your husband....this is possibly the coolest photo i've ever seen on CC! Loved the review Kathy!

I loved your review and all of your wonderful pictures. Thank you for taking so much time to write and post.

Can't wait until our next Azamra cruise.

Thank you for following and commenting! Sounds like Barcelona this summer on AZ for you! Hubby just returned frommGranada last night and promises to take me next time! Have not been to Spain yet!

Great review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Randy!

Pass along my appreciation to your husband....this is possibly the coolest photo i've ever seen on CC! Loved the review Kathy!

Thank you! I'll pass along your appreciation! They were that close, but they are up for such a short time, you do have to be fast! I just had a message from Saltaire, who was on the boat with us, asking for a copy because he had a tough time capturing them on "film" !

I'm always thrilled to see dolphins in the wild!

A few folks have had trouble "expanding" the Pursuits from our website. It doesn't work on mobile platforms,(phones , ipads) but you CAN expand them on a desk top computer using Chrome. For those who didn't understand a world of that...here they are!

Feb 7

162704614.jpg

162704615.jpg

162704649.jpg

162704650.jpg