Photo Review- 1st Timer on Journey: Questions Were Asked, Answers Were Learned!

Familygoboston

Feb 10 Cartagena

San Pedro Claver Church

We made a stop and proceeded on foot through several squares, visiting the San Pedro Claver Church. San Pedro is recognized today as a hero for championing and protecting the native Columbian's during a time when they had few rights and were used as indentured servants.

162703741.jpg

Interior

162703734.jpg

San Pedro's body still rests in his church

162703739.jpg

I don't remember if I have told you how much I am enjoying this, so rather than search back through six pages, I'll just tell you now. I am really enjoying this report!

Feb 10 Cartagena

Plaza de las Bovedas

Another stop was Plaza de las Bovedas...the walled city included a series of prison cells that are now tourist shops. I was hopeful that they might be real craft or art galleries, but they were not. They were largely selling tourist trinkets vs real art or local crafts. Luckily, we also had the option to climb the city walls at this location, and we took the 15 minutes to do that and capture some local life. Many people use the walls to walk through town, canoodle, (as the photo below shows), and urinate, (like the 9 yo school boy who did) and when several of us walking the wall giggled, he turned, smiled, flipped us the bird (must be from Boston!) and hustled off with his pals- (there is NOT a photo of this!)

162703688.jpg

162703690.jpg

Colonial Old City

162702733.jpg

Several of the squares we visited had views of the old and new city.

162703712.jpg

The colonial architecture is well preserved and beautifully accented with plants and flowers.

162703709.jpg

(For more on Cartagena...see our website... I'll be posting more there!)

I don't remember if I have told you how much I am enjoying this, so rather than search back through six pages, I'll just tell you now. I am really enjoying this report!

Thanks Pam!! I know it's a lot of pages! I have lots more photos, but in the interest of not overwhelming CC with photos, most of them are going on our website! I have some more Cartagena to post here tomorrow, but I've got to work on the website (linked below) a bit too...so I'll be back posting more later!

Feb 10 Cartagena Azamazing Evening

Just WHO is the star of this show?

It's an audacious name- I'm sure after marketing proposed the idea of Azamazing Evenings, the officers and crew on board, said "You are calling it...what?! Can we set expectations any higher?!"

And for me that is what I found most Azamazing- the logistics of getting 700 people off the ship (bong) into buses, across a foreign city, onto a red carpet (with women tossing rose petals!!) into a theater for a show, out of the theater, onto buses, back across town again, greeted with a glass of champagne and a live band at the dock, back onto the ship (bong) all in 3 hours! Holy cow!

And all this in a different port each week, in places where the answer to every logistical question might be "manana". As a planner, I was very impressed, and I think these events show a commitment by the officers and crew to provide an incredible experience for passengers. The venue was special, and it's easy to make fun of the name, but the attempt to provide an experience you can't have "just anywhere" is real! The marketing people can suggest the event and even help plan it, but it won't be "Azamazing" if the officers and crew don't buy into all the work it takes with great enthusiasm to make it happen (This is similar to the commitment to White Night)

The evening started after Dora returned us dripping and exhausted to ship. We got cleaned up and went to dinner at the Azamazing evening buffets laid out in the Windows Cafe and Discoveries Restaurant. After dinner, starting at 7 PM, there was a detailed plan to bus passengers based on their suite/deck. By 8 PM, everyone was in their seats, ready for the show! Those waiting on board for their bus could eat and drink, and those suite guests and deck 8 folks who waited at the theater were entertained by a wonderful classical guitarist (more than a few passengers felt that performance was more interesting to them than Ivann.)

(greeters at Teatro Heredia)

162703756.jpg

(guitarist at Teatro Heredia)

The backdrop featured all the statues around the Old Town, and we had fun recognizing and naming those we had seen during our tour!

162703767.jpg

(The beautiful theater)

162703762.jpg

So when Ivann started, it was clear he was the star!

162703770.jpg

His show was BIG, it was LOUD, it was BRIGHT...(announcements were made that there would be strobe lights for people who have trouble with those.) But he was very charming and even those passengers who weren't sure about the show at first couldn't help but be a bit charmed by Ivann's stage presence.

162703777.jpg

But maybe I was the STAR?? (Everyone said so after the Azamazing evening!) I didn't plan to steal the spotlight, but when a hot Latin guy asks you to dance, you say yes! (even if you can't dance!)

162703787.jpg

(I'm just so proud that in this picture I am actually doing the step the same way as the dancer, at the same time! It had to be a complete coincidence. My Zumba teacher will vouch for that!)

After the Azamazing Evening, we chatted with friends about the experience on board, and we decided that the real stars of the show were the officers and crew that made it all happen!

We headed to the living room to have a drink and maybe dance. Feeling cocky, we tried a salsa dance with DJ Eddie and made complete idiots of ourselves. We wisely gave up and went to bed vowing to take a Salsa class with Sasha and Dima the next day!! (It didn't help, My Zumba teacher can vouch for that!)

Please don't think I was disparaging all the pages, I love, LOVE all the pages of beautiful pictures you are showing us! It's raining where I am, and I am cruising vicariously.

Thanks for the pictures of the theater. I only got to see the outside on my walking tour a number of years ago.:(

I think your evening was a nice addition to the cruise.

Edited by Azulann

Thank you of reminding me of our Cartagena visit in 2002.

Love the photos.

Wondering if it's changed much? In Panama City (coming up) they are still working on redeveloping the old city, and it's sort of 1/2 and 1/2 at this point. Cartagena's old city has been mostly redeveloped and our guide told us it's a top wedding destination because of how pretty it is.

Please don't think I was disparaging all the pages, I love, LOVE all the pages of beautiful pictures you are showing us! It's raining where I am, and I am cruising vicariously.

Oh, I don't think that! So if you meant it, I'm pretty dense, lol! I know it's long, but it's what we do;)...succinct photos on the website for anyone who likes less narrative!

Thanks for the pictures of the theater. I only got to see the outside on my walking tour a number of years ago.:(

I think your evening was a nice addition to the cruise.

There really is not enough time in this port to see it all is there!? DH and I felt we could travel back to Cartegena end Panama City for long weekends. Plenty to see and explore!

This is the question that everyone has been asking...

What is going on with the Guest Laundry Room?!

162704194.jpg

Well, we would be derelict in our duties as intrepid reporters (of our own cruise) if we didn't investigate. We were on deck 7 and frequently saw Chippendales...er...workmen coming and going from the laundry room. We never saw the door open, and we never heard an official explanation as to what was happening. This didn't bother us in any way...we had a free bag of laundry with LCV that we used early in the week and when we needed to do laundry later in the week before heading out to our ecolodge in Costa Rica, Guest Services happily provided us with another card for a free bag of laundry. Friends without an LCV bag were also given a card when they asked at Guest Services. Quite a few Azamara travelers that we met, being generally people who focus on destination, like to travel light, many also had a back to back cruise or onward travel to another locale. The ability to do laundry and not send it out is an important benefit of sailing on Azamara. (This is true especially for fitness clothing, bathing suits and other delicates which needs to be hung out and not dried in hot, high capacity dryers)

Well, curiosity got to us eventually...we wouldn't have tried if it had said...DO NOT ENTER, because we are rule followers...we wouldn't have "broken in" had it been locked. But the door was unlocked, so we had to take a peek!

And here is what we found!

162704195.jpg

I don't know more than that...I heard some rumblings that the machines don't fit in the space properly, but I can't say what was happening...but I do know lots of people wanted to know, and we are happy to report!:D

Great review, am so enjoying this. Such a good idea to do it this way, than trying to upload etc whilst on board (apart from taking time away from actual cruise enjoyment).

On my last Az cruise I used the spin bikes early in the morning, prior to staff arriving, never knew their was an issue with using them!

Am cruising on Quest, Athens to Southampton, May - June 2016, & am enjoying your insights into the re-imaginings.

Again, thanks for your time & efforts in bringing this review to us all.

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

About the laundry room. The new machines arrived, but when they tried to connect them to the power it was found they weren't compatible with the ship's electrical system. Hopefully they'll have them sorted once the ship gets back to Miami.

Phil

Yes, I'm anxious to hear from folks who just returned - did they get it fixed? In any case, it did not bother us, but many folks asked- so we just had to get a photo!

Great review, am so enjoying this. Such a good idea to do it this way, than trying to upload etc whilst on board (apart from taking time away from actual cruise enjoyment).

On my last Az cruise I used the spin bikes early in the morning, prior to staff arriving, never knew their was an issue with using them!

Am cruising on Quest, Athens to Southampton, May - June 2016, & am enjoying your insights into the re-imaginings.

Again, thanks for your time & efforts in bringing this review to us all.

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thank you! Yes, there is just no other way for me to do it, unless someone is paying for my cruise (and they aren't) I'm going to enjoy it first, and write later. I did do a thread with daily updates, using my free wifi and that was fun, but it's ver labor intensive to post the photos and scan the ephemera etc, I'd love to put up the whole week in a day or two, but then there's life to deal with, lol! Luckily tomorrow I have the whole day free! I'm hopeful I can get up a couple of days including the Panama Caanal transit!

Interesting that you used the bikes in the am! I'm hopeful we will have a bike on Quaes that works for. DH in 2017! Enjoy your cruise in May! Maybe I will see you there! I just booked flights for my daughter and I to go to London, Paris and Cambridge (where we have a relative living) in May. Hubby says I get itchy I if I don't have at least 3 reservations at any time! :p

Feb 11 Sea Day

Who Is Driving the Ship?'

I decided to crib this question directly form the day's Pursuit

162704622.jpg

(if you are looking for the rest of the Pursuits from any day...you can find them here: http://www.goseeittravel.com/azamara-pursuits-2016 )

It's appropriate because this was the day we were invited to a bridge tour. But this question also gives me a chance to look at it as the "bigger" question..."Who is driving the ship?" Of course during the bridge tour we saw who was navigating and sailing (there is no "driving" a ship, folks!) But more importantly, I'm hoping to convey how the officers and crew drive the experience of the ship - the proactive, customer service oriented, positive, light hearted environment they create.

The first example I have of this starts at the top. (And I believe, after many cruises that, good or bad, it ALWAYS starts at the top) I know I've already mentioned that Captain Johannes Tysse took charge of the vessel with great flexibility in itinerary and excellent communication with passengers. On this pre canal sea day, he did so again, explaining that it would be another wild day on the seas, with some swells, and wind, and the ship was rolling. As he explained in his noon address, he decided to speed up the ship to near top speed for two reasons. 1- to achieve a speed that allowed the stabilizers to do their job most effectively. 2- to arrive at the entrance to the Panama Canal at 6 PM allowing passengers to have a calm evening for dinner and shows. The plan was to use a little more fuel and a little less water (and request passengers be mindful while tooth brushing, because the desalinization plant doesn't operate while at work at anchor) We would anchor outside the entrance to the canal so passengers could enjoy their evening (I can't be sure, but CD Eric De Gray, may have applied a little pressure to ensure the stage wasn't rolling for his "Vegas to Broadway" show!) Without exception, I saw passenger nodding along in agreement with his choice...the decision was as popular with passengers as the man, and it's easy to see why. He has a wonderful self deprecating sense of humor but clearly is the master of the vessel and you also feel you are in the best possible hands while on board. His rapport with De Gray and their sight gags playing on their height and hair differences were amusing (I won't spoil them, but pay close attention whenever they share a microphone!)

It was another sleep in morning for us, with the high waves and cloudy skies.

We decided to get breakfast in the dining room, because DH wanted poached eggs. (At this point we were unaware that you CAN get eggs made to order in the buffet...just ask and they deliver them to your table.) Our next experience of the excellent passenger service that drives this ship came at breakfast. The waiter took my order for a fruit plate and plain yogurt. He brought the plain yogurt and since I eat them together I waited for the fruit plate. When I didn't start the yogurt, the waiter came right over to see if everything was all right. When I said I was waiting for the fruit, he immediately brought out a fruit flavored yogurt. Now I knew we had lost something in translation. Before I could speak up, the head waiter hustled right over; he had noticed I wasn't touching either open yogurt and wanted to find out what the problem was. In fact, it was no big deal to me, but to the headwaiter it was a big deal, I wasn't eating what they brought and it was his job to find out why. Within seconds I had exactly what I needed. It took me longer to explain it to you now than it took them to make it right. No boss (Stephane Carriou, food and beverage manager) was watching at that moment, no passenger was fuming, and yet the crew in the dining room was motivated to make it right. This is an example of the excellent, proactive customer service we received.

After breakfast, we went back to the fitness center and told the attendant that the hotel manager had said we could use the spin cycles while the other cycle was being repaired. He had obviously discussed it with her already because she was very helpful and gracious about getting the bikes set up for us, even noticing when DH's peddle clip was undone and offering to re attach it for him. I already shared how responsive Hotel Director, Ryszard Gusmann, was with our fitness center issue, but I thought it showed excellent customer service for the fitness center employee to respond as professionally.

(Ryszard and Stephane, it starts at the top! Good customer service, even while making crepes!)

162704014.jpg

After our workout, we relaxed in our cabin a bit and showered before heading to salsa class with dancers, Sasha and Dima! We learned a thing or two, and while we won't be winning any dance contests- We were better off than the day before!

(hoping to not make a complete fool of myself dancing with Dima at White Night)

162704027.jpg

(Hey, lady on the right! It's WHITE night!)

We had lunch in the buffet and finally got to enjoy the gelato stand, yum! This one of my favorite features of the buffet!

162703830.jpg

After lunch we went to hear Chuck Richardson's port lecture about Costa Rica. Having been once before, there was not a lot that surprised us, but we enjoyed Chucks good humored descriptions of our rather pedestrian ports as "places to get out of as soon as possible and head to the National Parks!" He explained that what the ports lacked in amenities and sights, would be more than made up for in amazing wildlife adventures in the nearby National Parks.

Feb 11 Sea Day

Bridge Tour

GEEK ALERT!

Warning, warning...if there is a person in your life (like my DH) who likes to see how things "work", or maybe YOU are this person...well, these next several posts are for you! First a bridge tour, and then the upcoming Panama Canal transit, is all for the engineering, gear head geeks! This is the stuff they love...so gather your favorite geek around the ipad...the next several posts are all for YOU!!

At 3 PM we were invited to a bridge tour. We were asked to meet at the Living Room to sign in, and then led to the bridge. (I'll repeat some of our bridge photos here, in case the geeks are just joining us) We spent about 45 minutes where one of the officers (I think it was staff captain, Darrio Guerrieri - but honestly my eyes glaze over at this stuff, so I may have missed it!) We were able to ask questions and take some photos, but were asked not to take any of the navigational screens.

162703796.jpg

162703798.jpg

By 6 PM we arrived at the entrance to the Panama Canal and anchored. I was amazed at how many ships were waiting!

Container ships waiting to transit the canal

162703807.jpg

162703808.jpg

On each end of the canal there are cranes which can load and unload shipping containers from ships too large to transit. The containers are transported via railway to the other side of the canal and then loaded onto another large ship to continue the journey to their destination. (I was a wee bit worried with all we were eating on board, that Capt Johannes might have had to "off load" me in this way before passing through the canal!)

Eventually these larger ships should be able to transit the canal in the new locks that are under construction.

162703810.jpg

162703805.jpg

Feb 11 Sea Day

We interrupt this geek fest for a dinner at Aqualina!

After tapas in the Living Room, (and carefully avoiding the trivia going there) we enjoyed a late dinner at Aqualina. This was the only added fee restaurant where we dined. I don't eat red meat, so Prime C was off the table (so to speak) and we found the quality in the dining room to be similar to what we experienced in Aqualina, so we saw no need to "avoid" the dining room (or buffet) by booking added fee restaurants. Folks in the suites can dine at these venues with no added fees. There are also packages for purchase for those wanting a discount on multiple nights of dining at added fee restaurants.

I did take some food photos here...they are bad (because I took them), but the food and service was excellent!

Minestrone Soup

162703818.jpg

Lobster Bisque

162703819.jpg

Lobster Tail

162703820.jpg

Steak and shrimp, (surf and turf)

162703821.jpg

Souffle

162703822.jpg

Limoncello

162703823.jpg

(parenthetical unrelated commentary: You'll notice that I often "capitalize" food nouns, like one would for a person or place. This is a tribute to my dear French Acadian Grandmother, who adored food, and whenever she wrote me a letter- she always capitalized her food nouns! So it's a habit I got into to honor her, and of course, maybe I also hold food in pretty high esteem!)

Feb 12 Panama Canal Transit

To see ships transiting the canal live:

http://Http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-Java.html

Is there anything more exciting than the PANAMA CANAL?

There might be more than one answer to this question! Depending on who you are!

This is what we had come for! DH was very excited, up at dawn!

162703892.jpg

After 2 1/2 sea days (which the Azamara officers and crew made lovely, but still...) and a busy 1/2 day tour of Cartagena, we were finally ready to make the full transit of the canal.

We had breakfast on our balcony.

162703894.jpg

***Port side: (from Colon/Caribbean to PC/Pacific) we saw the most dramatic, highest side of the Culebra "cut". We also had views of Gamboa and the National Park and the earliest views of Panama City in the distance from our port side balcony and it was also the shady side.***

We were being moving into position for our turn in the locks. There were quite a few ships waiting their turn or waiting for cargo to arrive by railroad.

162703908.jpg

162703897.jpg

It is 8:00 am when we headed to the Gatun locks.

162703901.jpg

After breakfast we move up to the sun deck, so we could have a panoramic view of the transit in this direction, from Colon (Caribbean) to Panama City (Pacific).

Edited by Familygoboston

For more photos and commentary, including video....see our trip report on our website:

http://www.goseeittravel.com/panama-canal-transit/

The sun was hot, but there were clouds to keep the temperature down a bit. There was an official from the Panama Canal on board who provided a narration during the times when the ship was not actively navigating the locks. During those times there was no narration as the bridge was busy with communications between the lock workers and the ships crew. I was most impressed by the perfectly choreographed "ballet" (salsa?) of activities that had to happen at each lock to ease the ship through the locks.

Lock workers prepare to gather lines to attach to the "mules" (small rail engines that guide but not power the ship through the lock)

162703940.jpg

Mules lined up to assist ships through the locks.

162703906.jpg

Mules "holding" a ship in position to prevent large ships from damaging the canal walls.

162703942.jpg

Tugs assisting with positioning of Azamara Journey

162703987.jpg

Also, Chuck Richardson was on board on the sun deck all day answering questions and mingling with passengers to explain things.

FamilyGoBoston with Chuck on deck

162703980.jpg

Unfortunately,on this ship there is no open forward space that does not have a large plastic windshield. Along the sides there is no plastic, but from the front we were experiencing the canal and locks through the plastic shield. Unless you are tall like DH who can lift his arms and get shots from above, it's not the best for photos. I'm thinking of larger ships I've been on, where there is a large helipad open to the front.

Of course, on those ships the disadvantage is that you are sharing the space with a thousand people! On the Journey, there were about 300 or more people on the sun deck in the morning at the start of the first locks. By the end of the day when we reached the last locks, there were fewer than 50. Even the larger group was convivial, (as they were on board!) sharing rail space, chatting between commentary, it was not competitive for rail space, people moved around, allowing anyone who wanted space time to see what was happening or get a photo. Folks helped each other out with "selfies" or leaning back to allow someone to get a really "clean" shot. It was a very positive and exciting environment!

A panorama (Panamarama?) of the late afternoon crowd on the sun deck

162703833.jpg

The Gatun Locks

Journey and a cargo ship pass through the locks (the pair of locks "change directions" depending on the traffic for the day)

162703913.jpg

Mitered door locks

162703918.jpg

The original Gatun Lock House

162703930.jpg

Capt. Tysse oversees the transit of Azamara Journey

162703932.jpg

Gatun Locks Observation Visitors Center

162703952.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Gatun Lake

By 10:30 we have completed the first set of locks and find ourselves in Gatun lake...a man made lake that feeds the locks and is a holding basin for ships waiting to transit the Gatun Locks. It is here we get a glimpse of the new wider third lane being built. (I will report more on that as our tour of Panama City Feb 13 included a visit to the new Lock Expansion Observation Visitor Center on the Caribbean)

At this point most folks are moving on to other activities, lunch, and enjoying the hot weather pool side. But not my hubby! After lunch he is still snapping away from our balcony.

Ships in Gatun Lake

162703962.jpg

Cargo ships found US to be the tourist attraction!

162703972.jpg

The national park, former "canal zone"

162703978.jpg

The lake eventually narrows

162703976.jpg

Culebra Cut and Centennial Bridge

After lunch when we passes the small town of Gamboa. We went up to the sun deck again for the Culebra Cut (the cut through the Continental Divide) and Centennial bridge. We were fortunate to have port lecturer Chuck up top sharing stories and information about the Panama Canal and the Culebra Cut as we made our way through. The narrator gives similar info, but cannot use the microphone when they are actively navigating through the locks. His commentary is a little more dry with lots facts and figures.

Culebra Cut and Centennial Bridge

162703986.jpg

It was quite hot and humid so we retreated to our port side cabin for a little while. We waited about 40 minutes to pass the Miguel Locks because of an issue with mules being available, we were held against the wall by a tug. Finally at 3 PM, we moved through the locks. Some people took pictures, some people took naps. :rolleyes:

The tug held us in place for about 40 miutes at the Pedro Miguel Locks

162703987.jpg

We are once again the subject of selfies at the Pedro Miguel Locks

162703991.jpg

It becomes quite clear why digging the canal was such a challenge for the French and the Americans when you see the terraced and landscaped side of the canal.

162703988.jpg

It becomes quite clear why digging the canal was such a challenge for the French and the Americans when you see the terraced and landscaped side of the canal.

162703988.jpg

We were told on our trip that geologic engineers can usually calculate where the stable point will be in making a cut such as this [we've all seen many of them on the interstate highway system] -- but not in Panama. Because of the heavy rainfall, they have never -- even today -- reached a stable point on this cut. Imagine the problems the French would have had if they had persevered with their sea-level plan -- the cut would have to have been much, much deeper! :eek:

We were told on our trip that geologic engineers can usually calculate where the stable point will be in making a cut such as this [we've all seen many of them on the interstate highway system] -- but not in Panama. Because of the heavy rainfall, they have never -- even today -- reached a stable point on this cut. Imagine the problems the French would have had if they had persevered with their sea-level plan -- the cut would have to have been much, much deeper! :eek:

Exactly, that effort was doomed from the start due to the desire to make it sea level! Plus the French did not have a handle on what was causing the tropical illnesses in the workers. It incredible to think how many people lost their lives for this project!

I've got more to come- photos of the Miraflores locks and Bridge of the Americas, just ran out of day because we had plans this evening. Sunday is a quieter afternoon, and next week is a quiet week, I should succeed in finishing up the report!

Miraflores Locks

About mile past the Pedro Miguel locks are the Miraflores locks, we arrived at about 3:45 PM. We were again held by the tug for a short time, while two smaller boats, one a private catamaran and the other the empty lock transit "tour boat" passed us to go through the locks with Journey, since Journey is small enough to "share" the locks. In the distance you can just see huge white buildings in Panama City in the distance, looking a lot like oz!

Panama City in the distance

162703997.jpg

162704004.jpg

Miraflores Observation Visitors Center

162703996.jpg

Miraflores Locks

162703999.jpg

162704000.jpg