Photo Review- 1st Timer on Journey: Questions Were Asked, Answers Were Learned!

Familygoboston

And that's all folks! For some reason I forgot to pack the 16th- Quepos Pursuit (which would have been in my cabin, but I had already packed and must have forgot to grab it. And I wasn't on board for Feb 17th. If one of my fellow travelers saved them and wants to email me (you can find my email on my website) with scans, I'd be happy to post them! But hopefully, this gives you an idea of a typical port day and a typical sea day on this itinerary!

Adorable monkey shot, just to get folks to come follow our trip report of La Paloma Lodge in Drake Bay on our website...if you like our FB page or follow us on twitter, you'll get a notification when I get the post about Costa Rica live! ;)

162704289.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Note that on some of the days Pursuit shows music trivia being held in the Living Room at 5 pm. This really interfered with trying to relax and enjoy wine and tapas pre-dinner as tables and chairs were moved to form groups of five or six for trivia and the excerpts of music being played along with the accompanying announcing of trivia questions simply ruined the relaxing atmosphere. Since that cruise, music trivia has apparently been moved to 4 pm with tapas being served from 5 to 8 pm.

Here's hoping they keep it that way.

Edited by marinaro44

Thank you for following and commenting! Sounds like Barcelona this summer on AZ for you! Hubby just returned frommGranada last night and promises to take me next time! Have not been to Spain yet!

Thanks Randy!

You reminded me of this song...lol.

We're flying into Barcelona for a couple days in May, sailing on Equinox and then will do more ports in Spain in August in the Journey. Our stateroom is next door to the one you had. Love that area on the ship.

Note that on some of the days Pursuit shows music trivia being held in the Living Room at 5 pm. This really interfered with trying to relax and enjoy wine and tapas pre-dinner as tables and chairs were moved to form groups of five or six for trivia and the excerpts of music being played along with the accompanying announcing of trivia questions simply ruined the relaxing atmosphere. Since that cruise, music trivia has apparently been moved to 4 pm with tapas being served from 5 to 8 pm.

Here's hoping they keep it that way.

That's good! As I mentioned earlier, DH gets a tad competitive during trivia, and he was dashing across the room during tapas to "help out" friends, like some kind of late round ringer, it was embarrassing! :o. But I agree, I would have liked to have been able to sit near the windows and enjoy the view and because of trivia already in progress we felt we had to stick close to the food/bar. Another nice change made quickly based on passenger feedback. That's really wonderful!

You reminded me of this song...lol.

We're flying into Barcelona for a couple days in May, sailing on Equinox and then will do more ports in Spain in August in the Journey. Our stateroom is next door to the one you had. Love that area on the ship.

Ha! I haven't even listened yet, but I bet it's what I was singing to DH before he left..."hello mother, hello father...I have a business trip to Granada! " ;)

Have a wonderful trip! We've never sailed Celebrity, but I suppose I should try it if I can't find an Azamara ship where I want to go when I need to go!

Edited- ah, I did listen and I'd never heard it! Lol! Yup that's me, a daughter who did an exchange there and hubby has had business, but " I've never been to Spain!"

Edited by Familygoboston

That's good! As I mentioned earlier, DH gets a tad competitive during trivia, and he was dashing across the room during tapas to "help out" friends, like some kind of late round ringer, it was embarrassing! :o. But I agree, I would have liked to have been able to sit near the windows and enjoy the view and because of trivia already in progress we felt we had to stick close to the food/bar. Another nice change made quickly based on passenger feedback. That's really wonderful!

Ha! I haven't even listened yet, but I bet it's what I was singing to DH before he left..."hello mother, hello father...I have a business trip to Granada! " ;)

Have a wonderful trip! We've never sailed Celebrity, but I suppose I should try it if I can't find an Azamara ship where I want to go when I need to go!

Edited- ah, I did listen and I'd never heard it! Lol! Yup that's me, a daughter who did an exchange there and hubby has had business, but " I've never been to Spain!"

You've never heard that song? I'll have to see what year it was made. Azamara is my favorite but there are some itineraries they don't do and our upcoming cruise I booked on board and got a really good price. I loved our NE/Canada cruise and we really enjoyed the Summit. Officers and staff were close to Azamara, although it would take a lot to match them.

In Late 2017 DH and I celebrate a big anniversary and have Azamara Quest booked Venice to Rome.:D

Thanks for the comprehensive, well written, intro to Azamara review. Interestingly, we also have a milestone celebration falling during the September 2017, Venice to Rome cruise and have been looking at that for our first Azamara experience. Your blog is leaning us towards booking this trip as well!

Thanks for the comprehensive, well written, intro to Azamara review. Interestingly, we also have a milestone celebration falling during the September 2017, Venice to Rome cruise and have been looking at that for our first Azamara experience. Your blog is leaning us towards booking this trip as well!

Part of the reason we did this cruise was to get a feel for if we would like to do our anniversary trip on Azamara, we've decided yes, we are keeping the reservation on Quest for Oct 2017 (we also have a VX aft cabin booked and we love aft cabins! )

I do hope they keep Quest on that itinerary, I know Azamara has taken charters on Quest, cancelling out whole weeks of itineraries in the past, so I'm not paying for a thing till we are less than a year out, so I'm not left holding the bag for any components of the trip. If they cancel it, I'll take a river cruise or try Windstar instead, and not rebook Azamara for our anniversary. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but my research has shown that has happened the last couple of years. Just wanted to let you know what I've learned through my research, so if you do decide to book, you don't start paying for a lot of expensive components (nonrefundable independent tours or flights) too early! :eek:

A few folks have had trouble "expanding" the Pursuits from our website. It doesn't work on mobile platforms,(phones , ipads) but you CAN expand them on a desk top computer using Chrome. For those who didn't understand a world of that...here they are!

Thanks for posting a few! I tried expanding on my laptop (using Windows 7, Chrome browser), my husband's laptop (MacAir) and my work desktop (also using Win7 and Chrome browser) and it didn't work on any of them. So I think the issue is more than just with mobile platforms. There's a "Pin" option available - but I can't read them even if I pin in pinterest ;-)

And if it's just me, that's too sad to contemplate and I don't wanna know:eek:

Thanks for posting a few! I tried expanding on my laptop (using Windows 7, Chrome browser), my husband's laptop (MacAir) and my work desktop (also using Win7 and Chrome browser) and it didn't work on any of them. So I think the issue is more than just with mobile platforms. There's a "Pin" option available - but I can't read them even if I pin in pinterest ;-)

And if it's just me, that's too sad to contemplate and I don't wanna know:eek:

I'll check it out again, but I've been able to expand them on my computer, so not sure what's going on, I'll look and make sure I enabled that on every picture! We just did a few updates, so that our list of destinations is now alphabetized making it easier to find a post about a particular place. It's still a work in progress, thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the heads up on possible charters, definitely something to consider. Don't know what your river cruising experience is but we have done Avalon twice and loved both trips, especially the cruise out of Paris.

We did too, it's a great way to see places...we took AMA Waterways and found it wonderful! Again the demographic was a bit older (we were the second youngest couple on board) but by choosing a line that offers more active excursions, including bike tours, we found a very active group of people on board. (And the bike tours were pretty tame- 4-7 miles with multiple stops on mostly level bike paths or sidewalks)

I'll look and make sure I enabled that on every picture! We just did a few updates, so that our list of destinations is now alphabetized making it easier to find a post about a particular place. It's still a work in progress, thanks for your patience!

I tested a few different photos (at least half) so hopefully that was a pretty good sample. Often I've found links that I've enabled work on my own computer but not when sharing with others. Would love to know if others have experienced or it works for them....

I appreciate the depth of detail on your blog!!!

Edited by Hoyaheel

I tested a few different photos (at least half) so hopefully that was a pretty good sample. Often I've found links that I've enabled work on my own computer but not when sharing with others. Would love to know if others have experienced or it works for them....

I appreciate the depth of detail on your blog!!!

No, it doesn't work for me either. Just the first day (Feb 7).

Phil

No, it doesn't work for me either. Just the first day (Feb 7).

Phil

Aha, Figured it out! I thought I made them all "expandable" (Letterbox) when i set the design up for the first day Pursuit, (and committed the cardinal software sin of only testing one :rolleyes:) but after looking at it, I did have to change the design for EACH day. But that's how sausage is made, which no one wants to see...bottom line, I've fixed them and you should be able to see them all expanded now! I hope:o

http://www.goseeittravel.com/azamara-pursuits-2016

• 1 month later...

Hi, hopefully someone is still checking this thread and can answer a question about Golfito.

We will be in Golfito in January 12, 2017. I just confirmed that we will be docking (similar size ship to Journey) instead of tendering. I am looking to organize a private tour (12 people) where the tour operator would pick us up from the public dock.

Can someone tell me if the distance is walkable and how far it is? If not, what are the transportation options, if any?

I'll be contacting the tour operator with a similar question, but I just wanted a cruise ship passenger's perspective.

Any information would be most useful.

We also docked at Golfito on the Quest.

If you are taking a BOAT trip like we did, the tours leave from the opposite side of the pier.

If you are taking a land tour AND the tour operator can't meet you on the dock, they would meet you outside the gate - it is a very short walk.

Hi, hopefully someone is still checking this thread and can answer a question about Golfito.

We will be in Golfito in January 12, 2017. I just confirmed that we will be docking (similar size ship to Journey) instead of tendering. I am looking to organize a private tour (12 people) where the tour operator would pick us up from the public dock.

Can someone tell me if the distance is walkable and how far it is? If not, what are the transportation options, if any?

I'll be contacting the tour operator with a similar question, but I just wanted a cruise ship passenger's perspective.

Any information would be most useful.

It should be docked, but when we were there a freighter was docked, it moved but it appears there is only room for one ship!

The boat tour guide were all right in the pier with their own boats waiting. I'm not sure about the walking tours meeting point, but even if there is a walk it's much shorter than many piers, maybe 200 yards, so short a shuttle is not provided.

Hope that helps!

Thank you both. The information is most helpful. I also have a message into Changing Tides (the tour company) to advise them that we are docking, not tendering. Golfito will be our first port of call in Costa Rica on this cruise, so I may need to push back departure to accommodate for delays re: face to face meeting with CR officials as well as there possibly being a ship at our berth.

Familygoboston ... I like your blog and will be reading your past posts as time permits.