3 Night Precruise Miami Hotel Suggestions and things to do?

browniegirl

HI all. We are going to be in Miami 3 nights prior to our cruise in October 2016. It is a tough call of where to stay as we have 2 girls with us, 10 and 13 and want to keep them occupied and happy :). A nice pool is a must. Having been to Bayside, would like to take them there but not sure where best place to stay would be as we have 3 nights and 2 full days to fill. I heard the Holiday Inn has been sold and shutting down at some point, so am very wary of keeping that booking....

We want a nice hotel and coming from Canada, our dollar is rather crappy so we are looking up to about $250 US a night. Also, does anyone know of any decent hotels that would have a separate bedroom?

Thanks all!

Leah

Flying into MIA? I would look at hotels in north Miami Beach - beach access, nice pools, good public transport to South Beach for dinner and drinks and people watching. You do not need or want a car.

Flying into FLL? Check http://www.sunny.org for hotels in both Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood. You probably want a rental car for these options.

October is the begining of our peak season but there should be some good deals to be had.

Agree with John, stay on the beach.

Mid Beach and north will be less expensive than South Beach but you should be able to hit your budget.

If you use hotwire, you should get a really fantastic resort hotel for your budget. Remember though in South Beach you MUST put in four people if you are all sharing a room. In many hotels a room for four people is an upgrade and not a standard room.

I would definitely stay in South Beach because it is so walkable and your girls will love the people watching and shopping.

What are your dates?

In your case look at Miami Beach.

It's a large property but take a look at Fontainebleau.

Wonderful pool and beach and just a nice place for the family.

Keith

While I agree, a suite at The Fountainebleu will be well over $500 a night which is double her budget. A standard room with two beds will be over $300 a night.

The Fountainebleu is always just stupid expensive which is why we never stay there.

• 2 months later...

Hi again - I have gotten decent rates at the following Miami beach hotels -

any ideas if they are decent or not??

Residence Inn Miami Beach South Beach - paying between $194 and 204 a night for a 2 queen room - would have preferred a separate bedroom but is very expensive....

Grand Hotel Miami Beach - approx. $200 a night.

Not having stayed there, does anyone know?

Thanks kindly!

Torn between Miami Beach and staying downtown with our two daughters, somewhere central close to good restaurants and some shopping with maybe a tour to the zoo/jungle Island - there for 3 days.

Courtyard Miami downtown Brickell - good rate for 1 bdrm sutie

Miami Marriott Biscayne bay - 2 doubles ?? decent rate

Hampton Brickell - small room but reasonable rate

Holiday Inn on the Port - suite with view half decent rate

Hyatt Regency Miami - decent rate for club level 2 doubles.

Oh the tough decisions lol!! Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Leah

Leah, late September, early October is still our summer. High heat and humidity. Daily highs will range from upper 80s to low 90s.

I would not stay downtown that time of year for three nights. It will still be very hot. Summer hot.

Stay on the beach, I can't believe those two hotels are your only choices. The constant breeze will cool down the air and make it much more pleasant.

That time of year should be inexpensive and you should find lots of properties inside your range.

Look at Mid Beach and North Beach.

Leah, late September, early October is still our summer. High heat and humidity. Daily highs will range from upper 80s to low 90s.

I would not stay downtown that time of year for three nights. It will still be very hot. Summer hot.

Stay on the beach, I can't believe those two hotels are your only choices. The constant breeze will cool down the air and make it much more pleasant.

That time of year should be inexpensive and you should find lots of properties inside your range.

Look at Mid Beach and North Beach.

Hi there, thanks for the tips. How far is north beach from downtown? Is there good shopping restaurants in that area? We want to keep the girls busy those 3 days and do not want to be too far away from anything as we won't have a car.

I will definitely keep looking - most prices I found were around $300 a night at that time - especially if we want a separate bedroom, in the Miami beach area. Is the Grand Beach hotel any good? reviews on tripadvisor are mixed....

Leah

Hi there, thanks for the tips. How far is north beach from downtown? Is there good shopping restaurants in that area? We want to keep the girls busy those 3 days and do not want to be too far away from anything as we won't have a car.

I will definitely keep looking - most prices I found were around $300 a night at that time - especially if we want a separate bedroom, in the Miami beach area. Is the Grand Beach hotel any good? reviews on tripadvisor are mixed....

Leah

North Beach is approximately 30 minutes from Downtown Miami (via A1A). There are some restaurants along A1A from 63rd Street to 71st Street, and then along 71st Street from A1A until the 1st of two causeways which connect to mainland Miami. Otherwise, it is pretty residential and there is nothing very interesting to do or to see. The beaches are nice though.

Grand Beach Hotel is north of North Beach, located in Surfside (another 5 - 10 minute drive north). I have not stayed there, but I know the area rather well. Similar to North Beach, there are some restaurants, but the main attraction are the Bal Harbour Shops in Bal Harbour. There are also a number of swanky condos and hotels, such as the St. Regis, Ritz, hotel and Bal Harbour One hotels. They have nice restaurants with great views overlooking the ocean and their spas are top notch.

Not much for kids to do in either North Beach or Surfside.

Edited by brunello22

Leah

I don't know that hotel particularly.

There is no shopping downtown.

Tons of shopping in South Beach.

Aventura Mall may be an idea. It is the second or third largest mall in the US.

Did you look at Coral Gables?

Hi all, thanks for the great tips!!!

I will definitely look at those sites!

Coral Gables - no, haven't looked in that area. I will check it out for sure!!!

So basically south beach or Miami beach close to south beach would be best for girls and us? Not downtown. Okay. We will focus on those areas and maybe coral gables?

Leah

• 2 weeks later...

Hi l again, did some checking on some hotels and wanted advice for you Miami beach and south beach people.....

Which hotel would be best for 2 adults, 2 girls 10 and 13 - who will probs go do the usual touristy stuff, zoo, jungle island, aquarium etc.... Most south beach hotels are for 2 queens or 2 doubles, separate rooms are pricey!

1. Washington Park Hotel in South Beach

2. Loews Miami Beach Hotel - little pricier but not too bad for city view double room

3. Rui Plaza Miami Beach Hotel

4. Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach

5. Holiday Inn Miami Beach

6. Best Western Atlantic Resort

7. Residence Inn Miami beach South Beach - newer

Or there are the downtown choices to be central - probably wont be at hotel a lot!

1. Courtyard Miami/Brickell

2. Hampton Miami/Brickell

3. Hyatt Regency Miami

4. Intercontinental Miami

5. Viceroy Miami Hotel

6. Holiday Inn Port of Miami

7. Marriott Biscayne Bay

Has anyone stayed at any of these, likes dislikes? Prices are all in the $200 to $300 range.

Thanks in Advance!!! I am clearly having a hard time deciding lol....I have stayed at the Intercontinental and Marriott Bayside before and liked them both but that was 3 years ago and without kids.

Leah

My kids have been going to South Beach for years and love it. We've stayed all over the place - about 5 times at the Eden Roc is our FAVORITE, a couple times at the Courtyard on Collins (around 40th) and 3 or 4 times at the Marriott Stanton. My suggestion is to forgo the touristy stuff and put that money in your hotel budget, too much running around, then you'll need money to get there too, When you have the beach and people watching, you don't need to see another zoo. LOL

My kids have been going to South Beach for years and love it. We've stayed all over the place - about 5 times at the Eden Roc is our FAVORITE, a couple times at the Courtyard on Collins (around 40th) and 3 or 4 times at the Marriott Stanton. My suggestion is to forgo the touristy stuff and put that money in your hotel budget, too much running around, then you'll need money to get there too, When you have the beach and people watching, you don't need to see another zoo. LOL

Thank you! I checked out the Eden Roc - looks nice but a little bit pricey......when we are there in October, but hmm..... What is the Courtyard like? Some reviews on tripadvisor are iffy but some are great....?

Leah

Edited by browniegirl

Thank you! I checked out the Eden Roc - looks nice but a little bit pricey......when we are there in October, but hmm..... What is the Courtyard like? Some reviews on tripadvisor are iffy but some are great....?

Leah

The Courtyard was the Courtyard. LOL. It was fine for what we needed if for. It was clean and the breakfast was good.

The Eden Roc runs good sales quite frequently, sign up for the emails.

Hi l again, did some checking on some hotels and wanted advice for you Miami beach and south beach people.....

Which hotel would be best for 2 adults, 2 girls 10 and 13 - who will probs go do the usual touristy stuff, zoo, jungle island, aquarium etc.... Most south beach hotels are for 2 queens or 2 doubles, separate rooms are pricey!

1. Washington Park Hotel in South Beach

2. Loews Miami Beach Hotel - little pricier but not too bad for city view double room

3. Rui Plaza Miami Beach Hotel

4. Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach

5. Holiday Inn Miami Beach

6. Best Western Atlantic Resort

7. Residence Inn Miami beach South Beach - newer

Or there are the downtown choices to be central - probably wont be at hotel a lot!

1. Courtyard Miami/Brickell

2. Hampton Miami/Brickell

3. Hyatt Regency Miami

4. Intercontinental Miami

5. Viceroy Miami Hotel

6. Holiday Inn Port of Miami

7. Marriott Biscayne Bay

Has anyone stayed at any of these, likes dislikes? Prices are all in the $200 to $300 range.

Thanks in Advance!!! I am clearly having a hard time deciding lol....I have stayed at the Intercontinental and Marriott Bayside before and liked them both but that was 3 years ago and without kids.

Leah

This isn't even close!

THE LOEWS!!

It is one of the nicest resorts in Florida. Gorgeous pool, great rooms, right in the middle of South Beach. It is on the beach which is actually a rarity in South Beach.

Do not wait, book this hotel!!!!

The rest on your list are around 2-3 stars and The Loews is a 4-5 star.

Edited to add that the Viceroy would be a close second because of the coolest pool in Miami but the pool is down for the next ten months or so.

What is your car situation?

Parking a car downtown will be very expensive and traffic in and out of downtown is extremely stressful and heavy if you aren't used to it.

Also, if you drive to downtown, you are going to pay another $20-$40 to park.

Carolyn can clue you in about driving.

Edited by BlueHerons

This isn't even close!

THE LOEWS!!

It is one of the nicest resorts in Florida. Gorgeous pool, great rooms, right in the middle of South Beach. It is on the beach which is actually a rarity in South Beach.

Do not wait, book this hotel!!!!

The rest on your list are around 2-3 stars and The Loews is a 4-5 star.

Edited to add that the Viceroy would be a close second because of the coolest pool in Miami but the pool is down for the next ten months or so.

What is your car situation?

Parking a car downtown will be very expensive and traffic in and out of downtown is extremely stressful and heavy if you aren't used to it.

Also, if you drive to downtown, you are going to pay another $20-$40 to park.

Carolyn can clue you in about driving.

Hi, no car.....will be cabbing it or ubering or metromover, that kind of thing! Your enthusiasm for the Loews is good lol!!!

What about the Anglers in South Beach, has very good reviews, looks really cute and nice big rooms, AAA rates are quite decent? $241 us a night.

The Loews is not a bad rate either $229 for ocean view with a balcony but smaller room.

I am narrowing it down, yay!!!

Leah

Hi, no car.....will be cabbing it or ubering or metromover, that kind of thing! Your enthusiasm for the Loews is good lol!!!

What about the Anglers in South Beach, has very good reviews, looks really cute and nice big rooms, AAA rates are quite decent? $241 us a night.

The Loews is not a bad rate either $229 for ocean view with a balcony but smaller room.

I am narrowing it down, yay!!!

Leah

I think, but I'm not sure that The Anglers may be all suite? It is a great boutique hotel but very small pool and definitely not oceanfront.

The location of the two may be a wash.

If a pool is important, go with The Loews. You are also likely to see a celeb there on the weekends if that is important. Last time I stayed there Cameron Diaz was there with JT. Lots of celebs stay there.

Yes, the Loews looks fun, just worried about that construction while we are there and would be so bummed if it impacted our stay and the pool time...a couple of the last tripadvisor reviews are a little worrisome as it seemed like it the pool area was a huge party place with some inappropriate behavior that isn't good for kids and I'm not sure my 10 and 13 year old daughter would need that lol....but I am so tempted!!!!

Thanks BlueHeron for tip on the Anglers, yes, a suite hotel which is nice with the four of us, what about the Washington Park Hotel, seems like another popular one? We do not have to be right on the beach...There is a new Residence Inn in South beach also looks promising.....gawd...too many choices for this little brain hahaha!!!

Leah

Yes, the Loews looks fun, just worried about that construction while we are there and would be so bummed if it impacted our stay and the pool time...a couple of the last tripadvisor reviews are a little worrisome as it seemed like it the pool area was a huge party place with some inappropriate behavior that isn't good for kids and I'm not sure my 10 and 13 year old daughter would need that lol....but I am so tempted!!!!

Thanks BlueHeron for tip on the Anglers, yes, a suite hotel which is nice with the four of us, what about the Washington Park Hotel, seems like another popular one? We do not have to be right on the beach...There is a new Residence Inn in South beach also looks promising.....gawd...too many choices for this little brain hahaha!!!

Leah

I think the Residence Inn is on Alton Road right off the causeway so the location is bad in that it is not walkable to anything.

I'm pretty sure the WPH is in the middle of all the nightclubs on Washington. I would probably skip it.

The Loews isn't really a party hotel unless you are there for Ultra, Winter Music Fest, or Urban Beach Week. Otherwise it is a very reserved, laid back hotel. They don't really 'host' parties in the South Beach sense.

You are going to be here right before season hits so it will be either dead or filled with convention attendees. There will not be many people at all in South Beach.

I really wouldn't worry about wild pool parties.

Also, call the hotel and voice your concerns about construction.

Edited by BlueHerons

I think the Residence Inn is on Alton Road right off the causeway so the location is bad in that it is not walkable to anything.

I'm pretty sure the WPH is in the middle of all the nightclubs on Washington. I would probably skip it.

The Loews isn't really a party hotel unless you are there for Ultra, Winter Music Fest, or Urban Beach Week. Otherwise it is a very reserved, laid back hotel. They don't really 'host' parties in the South Beach sense.

You are going to be here right before season hits so it will be either dead or filled with convention attendees. There will not be many people at all in South Beach.

I really wouldn't worry about wild pool parties.

Also, call the hotel and voice your concerns about construction.

Thank you! I will definitely call them and touch base with them about that prior to booking!!! The hotel looks absolutely beautiful!

Leah