Does the Upsell Dept keep track of calls you make?

Does the Upsell Dept keep a record of how many times you call?

I called this week, even though we are only 30-something days out, and the lady told me nothing would be available until 1 week before the cruise for the Escape, with no guarantee.

If I ignore her and keep calling every day (until she's sick of me and gives in), do they track that on my trip file? Does it help or hurt my chances of getting a possible upgrade?

Thirty days out is way to far. I did get an upsell this week, 16 days before sailing. I started calling at three weeks, which was still a tad early but it did pay off on Thursday. They do ask for your reservation number so they probably do keep record of it.

Best wishes in your attempts!

I don't know about the multiple calls, but the timing thing seems to vary by ship/sailing date and the type of cabin you have and are looking to upgrade to. On my Star sailing later this month we were able to get an upsell 4 weeks out. Prices may have gotten better if I had waited, but it was the last suite in its category left (others cost more) and was a price I had decided I was comfortable with before I called, so I was thrilled to get it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gymbomb

Well, this is just my opinion, but I think that if everyone here calls them every day for a month before their cruise that it will cause problems.

Back a couple of years ago, members here were calling the Upsell Dept a lot. After a point the Upsell Dept said they would no longer take incoming calls and that stayed in effect until relatively recently. So, I really feel that everyone should use discretion when calling so that they don't get fed up with all of us and stop taking calls again.

Good luck!

Yes, just Monday-Friday. It is either 8 or 9 am till 5 pm.

Interesting that they did have an up sell available four weeks out. I should of stated that each cruise will be different dependent on several variables but 2-3 weeks is when you will probably find success the easiest.

Yes ! There was a thread I had read yesterday about upsell ( Breakaway or Getawy). Poster went into long detail about how many/often times they called, with the rep telling them they saw the call times!

I read somewhere on this NCL forum that there's a record of how many times you have called. Each time I've called it has been the same person answering... Alison. They are open 9 - 5 weekdays. (I want that job!)

Yes, just Monday-Friday. It is either 8 or 9 am till 5 pm.

Interesting that they did have an up sell available four weeks out. I should of stated that each cruise will be different dependent on several variables but 2-3 weeks is when you will probably find success the easiest.

Sooooo.......what's the number? :D

I think the timing must also be dependent on how many suites/mini suites and balconies are left for your sailing. I received an upsell email thru my TA 27 days out for our upcoming 3/26 sailing on the Escape - almost a month out, and this being a Spring Break cruise - very surprising. But when I check available cabins, there are still many cabins available on that sailing for an upgrade. I think that must be why they started earlier. I was so happy bc the Haven looks awesome!!!

If you used a PCC to book, I would suggest calling them first. On our Breakaway cruise he told me to call him a week out. We moved from a BD balcony to a mini for no extra cost.

Now, on our last cruise I called a week out and he said there wasn't anything. We had just gotten our first upsell e-mail offering us a Suite for $500/person, which was way more than I wanted to pay, even though that amount plus what I had paid for an OV wasn't much by Suite standards.

We did call the number in the e-mail, though, and asked about regular balconies. Moved from the OV to a regular balcony for $50/person...it was the last balcony they had and had just come open when that person moved to a Suite.

Personally I wouldn't be calling every day. Once a week is plenty. And again I would call the PCC or regular booking number first...

I called this week, even though we are only 30-something days out, and the lady told me nothing would be available until 1 week before the cruise for the Escape, with no guarantee.

If I ignore her and keep calling every day (until she's sick of me and gives in), do they track that on my trip file? Does it help or hurt my chances of getting a possible upgrade?

Honestly folks...this is a little nutty. It will not help you, you're being annoying calling every day.

• 2 months later...

When I called upsell at 30 days out, the woman told be to try back in a week.

I have only spoken with two women there, not sure how many people answer the phone at "upsell".

If the phone rang 8 times I would hang up and call back later. I have heard of people letting it ring on and on....how annoying is that?

Just this past March I started calling 2 weeks before my Breakaway cruise. I had a mini suite and I wanted to upsell to a Penthouse Balcony, At that time she said $750pp and I declined.

Then 2 days before the cruise I called again and was quoted $400pp, I did'nt take it. I should have!

Lo & behold I called the day before my cruise and they had 1 left! Well, they offered that one to me for $500pp! I said WAIT, yesterday you offered it to me for $400pp, she said hold on, Oh yes you were offered it at $400pp, OK then $400pp! I'll take it! Score!

Now, its time to call for an upsell for my Escape cruise. OK, I booked again also with CAS which I had a comped HC mini suite. Well, it was 32 days out and I noticed on NCL's website that a HC Penthouse suite became available. So, I took a chance on calling that far out and I did get the HC Penthouse Courtyard Balcony, but I did have to pay an extra $750PP. But that was alright with me cause I did'nt want to take a chance on losing it cause there are only 2 of those.

call everyday!!! i did and managed to get a 2 bedroom family villa for $500 /pp 2 days before sailing on the BA this past march. i orig booked a mid ship mini...so we scored big time....as it gets closer you must call at 9am (EST) so you get first dibs on the best rooms and deals...i literally called everyday...except the weekend (they are closed) but you better call every day. its worth it...

good luck...

Since I did this recently I will let you know what I noticed about the upsells they were offering.

I started calling at 31 days out. At that point in time, they offered me an H7 on the Breakaway from a M6 for $1000/pp. Way to much for me! I called again the next Monday. Same offer of $1000/pp. I then noticed the next Tuesday, on that fishing web site that tracks prices, the price for the suite had dropped! I called them again and was given a price of $750/pp. The SAME amount they dropped it by. At this point up to 14 days before sailing, not a single one of the suites they needed to fill were taken.

Low and behold the next Tuesday, the price dropped on that fishing site AGAIN. I called pretty much know that the upgrade price would be $500/pp at that point because that was the drop amount, and it was. I actually had to call at 4:45pm EST, by the time we went out to eat for my son's birthday and got back at about 7:30pm, the 3 suites left when I booked were gone.

To me, this seems like upgrade prices are almost directly linked to booking prices. Sure if they have a bunch to fill, it may differ, but in truth, if they only have 3-4 suites left and want $1000+/pp 28 days out, why in the world would they drop the price just because you call and bug them?

I am really curious as to if the people who called everyday and FINALLY got the deal they wanted, it was actually because well, they suite's weren't sailing and they were dropping the prices on their schedule, not because you call everyday.

TBH, I have worked in phone customer service for 20+ years. They aren't a very big department from what I understand. Honestly, if you called me everyday to try and haggle a price, I would be less likely to help out in anyway I can...... and I am really not the only person in that type of industry with that attitude.

Since I did this recently I will let you know what I noticed about the upsells they were offering.

I started calling at 31 days out. At that point in time, they offered me an H7 on the Breakaway from a M6 for $1000/pp. Way to much for me! I called again the next Monday. Same offer of $1000/pp. I then noticed the next Tuesday, on that fishing web site that tracks prices, the price for the suite had dropped! I called them again and was given a price of $750/pp. The SAME amount they dropped it by. At this point up to 14 days before sailing, not a single one of the suites they needed to fill were taken.

Low and behold the next Tuesday, the price dropped on that fishing site AGAIN. I called pretty much know that the upgrade price would be $500/pp at that point because that was the drop amount, and it was. I actually had to call at 4:45pm EST, by the time we went out to eat for my son's birthday and got back at about 7:30pm, the 3 suites left when I booked were gone.

To me, this seems like upgrade prices are almost directly linked to booking prices. Sure if they have a bunch to fill, it may differ, but in truth, if they only have 3-4 suites left and want $1000+/pp 28 days out, why in the world would they drop the price just because you call and bug them?

I am really curious as to if the people who called everyday and FINALLY got the deal they wanted, it was actually because well, they suite's weren't sailing and they were dropping the prices on their schedule, not because you call everyday.

TBH, I have worked in phone customer service for 20+ years. They aren't a very big department from what I understand. Honestly, if you called me everyday to try and haggle a price, I would be less likely to help out in anyway I can...... and I am really not the only person in that type of industry with that attitude.

Yes. I did my first upsell and only called once - when I saw the price drop and suites start disappearing. Even then, I waited a few days to make sure of what I was seeing. The upsells are not based on your persistence calling - they are offered based on supply and demand. The only thing calling ever day will do is have them stop accepting calls.