Tipping!

Jennifer8719

• 2 weeks later...
I'm from Australia and on my first cruise I didn't tip. On my next one I may but that was mainly due to my financial position at the time.

But you effectively paid the equivalent of auto tips. Built in to the fare. A system that many on CC. See as heralding the end of civilization.

I had the same question about tipping...I am on NCL Sun and have the Beverage package, so there is no need for me to tip the bartenders and waitstaff? I did prepay something, but it still said I should tip people.

Can I tip the cabin stewards each day or wait until the end?

How about the people in the restaurants?

So confusing.

Thanks

I had the same question about tipping...I am on NCL Sun and have the Beverage package, so there is no need for me to tip the bartenders and waitstaff? I did prepay something, but it still said I should tip people.

Can I tip the cabin stewards each day or wait until the end?

How about the people in the restaurants?

So confusing.

Thanks

Wait until the end. NCL has a service charge, so the tips will be paid automatically from your on board account.

But you effectively paid the equivalent of auto tips. Built in to the fare. A system that many on CC. See as heralding the end of civilization.

thumbs up

apparently its civilised for an employer to leave employment compensation up to the customer?!

So if the marketing department fails to sell the cruise its the crew who are not remunerated (not those in back office or the officers) - very civilised

thumbs up

apparently its civilised for an employer to leave employment compensation up to the customer?!

So if the marketing department fails to sell the cruise its the crew who are not remunerated (not those in back office or the officers) - very civilised

Same as in restaurants. The owner takes a lot less risk, can employ as many waiters as he wants, if it's a dead night his exposure is minimal (the staff wear it) yet he keeps the profit on a busy night.

I can see why the owners love it. I bet owners in non tipping industries wish they had that advantage.

Same as in restaurants. The owner takes a lot less risk, can employ as many waiters as he wants, if it's a dead night his exposure is minimal (the staff wear it) yet he keeps the profit on a busy night.

I can see why the owners love it. I bet owners in non tipping industries wish they had that advantage.

Please help me try and explain this concept in the other thread "let me vent ... Dsc"

I still can't see why if it is such an appropriate system why citizens of the USA would not be flocking to work on cruise ships?

Why is the same system not applied to the captain or even more so the cruise director and hotel director ... What's good for the goose.

Why not just make the dsc compulsory by adding it to the fare - the debate would be over.

Those who are so pro this system just refuse to admit it's because the exploitation of workers makes their cruise cheaper and in the vast majority of cases those from North America receive obc or free gratuities while Europeans and others are expected to dip into their "real" pockets.

It's easy to be moralistic when someone else is really paying

That's fine. I'd rather that than having tips to pay later. Plus prices are so reasonable it's irrelevant.

That's fine. I'd rather that than having tips to pay later. Plus prices are so reasonable it's irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong like the bundled in the fare system.

when I don't have it I try to prepay.

Please help me try and explain this concept in the other thread "let me vent ... Dsc"

I still can't see why if it is such an appropriate system why citizens of the USA would not be flocking to work on cruise ships?

Why is the same system not applied to the captain or even more so the cruise director and hotel director ... What's good for the goose.

Why not just make the dsc compulsory by adding it to the fare - the debate would be over.

Those who are so pro this system just refuse to admit it's because the exploitation of workers makes their cruise cheaper and in the vast majority of cases those from North America receive obc or free gratuities while Europeans and others are expected to dip into their "real" pockets.

I've tried many times before, some just seem incapable of grasping it.

Trust me, it wouldn't be over. It will never be over. :p

Probably not because even though the argument for keeping the system continually quote its to protect the worker (which compulsory would do better) it takes away the ability to feel noble . It will be harder to tip from your own pocket when you haven't got free obc haha

You are thinking too much and it's not doing you any good.

Customers pay all bills, taxes and fees for any company.

I always tip in CASH, the reason being is cause I want my guys and girls to have money not taxed...Does this make sense. I also like to budget and if I start paying the tips in cash the first day then I also get better service because they know that they will get more money--if they go above and beyond I will give them even more money.

I am so sick of the IRS and taxes, they tax everybody and everytime you spend money. Its the same money being taxed over and over, so I am giving Cash. I hope they can get away with not having to report it. Laurie

I always tip in CASH, the reason being is cause I want my guys and girls to have money not taxed...Does this make sense. I also like to budget and if I start paying the tips in cash the first day then I also get better service because they know that they will get more money--if they go above and beyond I will give them even more money.

I am so sick of the IRS and taxes, they tax everybody and everytime you spend money. Its the same money being taxed over and over, so I am giving Cash. I hope they can get away with not having to report it. Laurie

I know the feeling. So I have decided I will no longer stop at four way stops. If the other cars are already stopped, why should I have to?

Taxes may not be fun to pay, but they are a necessary evil. Waiters and waitresses were under reporting until one audit showed that they were not even reporting all the credit tips, let alone the cash tips. Now, in California at least, it is assume that they receive a certain percentage of the food bill. If it is actually less than that, they have to provide the necessary documentation. Whenever possible I tip via the credit card. There is no reason the waiters and waitresses shouldn't pay their fair share of the taxes also.

Unless you're on Pride of America the IRS has nothing to do with the crew's income. Thet are not from US.

Also, many cruise lines track who removes automatic gratuity/service charge and requires those cabin stewards to turn in any cash tips so the assigned pool can share them. You are better off leaving the automatic gratuities in place. You can tip extra with cash to those who give you better service and they can keep it.

Unless you're on Pride of America the IRS has nothing to do with the crew's income. Thet are not from US.

Also, many cruise lines track who removes automatic gratuity/service charge and requires those cabin stewards to turn in any cash tips so the assigned pool can share them. You are better off leaving the automatic gratuities in place. You can tip extra with cash to those who give you better service and they can keep it.

Never realized that, I was told years ago that they benefit more by all Cash tips. I will stick to that because I seem to get good service.

Ok I thought because they get paid in US money-- they pay taxes on US money like all of us. Correct me if i am wrong but if I work in another state, I pay taxes in that state. They are home based from the US (at least the ships I go on are). Wouldn't they pay taxes to the State of Florida, or wherever the home port is? Im not really up on the tax issue, I only know that if I give them an extra $50, I am giving it to them not to be split with the crew. Ugg if that's the case then I am very upset. thank you Laurie

I know the feeling. So I have decided I will no longer stop at four way stops. If the other cars are already stopped, why should I have to?

Taxes may not be fun to pay, but they are a necessary evil. Waiters and waitresses were under reporting until one audit showed that they were not even reporting all the credit tips, let alone the cash tips. Now, in California at least, it is assume that they receive a certain percentage of the food bill. If it is actually less than that, they have to provide the necessary documentation. Whenever possible I tip via the credit card. There is no reason the waiters and waitresses shouldn't pay their fair share of the taxes also.

I guess I think a little different than everybody else. If I can help one person get something extra without being penalized then I will. Sorry that you feel that way. I give to our homeless people on the street--I give to the red cross, I give to a lot of different people because they are less fortunate....

I guess I think a little different than everybody else. If I can help one person get something extra without being penalized then I will. Sorry that you feel that way. I give to our homeless people on the street--I give to the red cross, I give to a lot of different people because they are less fortunate....

You specifically state that you are helping people avoid taxes and then claim you are not hurting anyone? The only person you are fooling is yourself. Suppose everyone could avoid paying taxes, then what do you think would happen? There are some waiters and waitresses earning well above the national average. Some of them are earning $70,000 plus.

Never realized that, I was told years ago that they benefit more by all Cash tips. I will stick to that because I seem to get good service.

Ok I thought because they get paid in US money-- they pay taxes on US money like all of us. Correct me if i am wrong but if I work in another state, I pay taxes in that state. They are home based from the US (at least the ships I go on are). Wouldn't they pay taxes to the State of Florida, or wherever the home port is? Im not really up on the tax issue, I only know that if I give them an extra $50, I am giving it to them not to be split with the crew. Ugg if that's the case then I am very upset. thank you Laurie

The crew earns their wages on the ship, not in Florida, Texas, California, Washington, Maryland, New York, New Jersey or any other state a ship might call as a home base. All the big cruise ships, except one based in Hawaii, are foreign flagged ships. They are subject to the rules for the nation the ship is flagged for and to to their home country. For the US citizens that work on a cruise ship, they have to report their income in the state they live in and to the IRS. For non-US citizens not working on the Pride of America, they do not report any income to the IRS.

• 2 months later...

I'm going on my first Caribbean cruise in December and in a few of the ports we're planning on taking the local public transit (the bus). Should we tip the bus drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm going on my first Caribbean cruise in December and in a few of the ports we're planning on taking the local public transit (the bus). Should we tip the bus drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The norm is no for public bus drivers and transfer drivers, yes for tour bus drivers.

But each to their own philosophy, and most drivers have a hat or basket by the door.

No big deal either way, and we tip purely on merit

JB :)