A sorrowful reason this trip needs to be very special

TommyandSteph

Hello,

The one and only time we visited Alaska was in 2000. This was the summer after we heartbreakingly lost our only son during the previous fall and my heart was not in the trip. I was trying to put on a happy face for my husband but I could find no joy even in such a majestic place. But I had a moment when we had to cancel a floatplane trip due to weather and opted for dinner at a dockside restaurant in Seward that some hope surfaced. We saw the Cruise Ships docking and I thought. "One day we'll come back here on one of those ships and joy will have returned to my life". That hope has been fulfilled and I do now live a blessed life that is full of meaning and purpose. And tonight I booked us on the Celebrity Solstice for June 24th in Aqua Class GTY. So I have a poignant reason I want this trip to be particularly special and am prevailing upon such nice people to be of assistance. We make port at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria. We love to be active and adventurous when we travel and love wildlife and photography. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

So sorry for your loss. I can understand how devastating it would be to lose a child. But I am very happy that you have found joy and meaning in life again. I will be making my first trip to Alaska in July so I can not offer any suggestions for things to do. I just wanted to post and offer you my support:) I'm sure that you will get many wonderful ideas from the cruise critic family. Have a wonderful Alaska adventure. Carol

First of all, my condolences for your loss.

Here are my suggestions, in no particular order:

In Skagway I wholeheartedly recommend Alaska Wilderness River Adventure. I did a similar excursion the last time I was in Skagway and it was absolutely gorgeous. They'll ferry you over to Haines to catch the bus to get you to the preserve. TONS of photographic possibilities (eagles, moose, and even the occasional beaver). Probably the best excursion I have ever taken on any cruise.

In Juneau you have numerous choices. I would say definitely anything involving Mendenhall Glacier and/or whale watching is the way to go. If you decide on a helicopter tour, bear in mind that tours in the early morning hours tend to be cancelled because of fog. (Happened to me twice!) Looking at what Celebrity offers, I'd lean towards Whale Quest, Orca Point Lodge & Mendenhall Glacier. On my upcoming cruise I am going on the Mendenhall Glacier By Helicopter And Guided Walk.

In Ketchikan it can be very "tourist-y". Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the port, but it does have its unique charms. :) If you want to stick with going simple, there's Saxman Village or the Lumberjack Show, both tend to get a lot of people. Since you're looking more for wildlife, etc., I'd suggest any flightseeing tour over the Misty Fjords.

In Victoria, the Butchart and Butterfly Gardens are always a highlight.

Hopefully that helps! :)

If you put each of the ports in the "search" area, you'll find numerous suggestions about people's favorite activity in each one. There's also a thread on "Favorite Excursions in Alaska."

I hope you have a splendid trip.

One more chiming in with deepest condolences for your family's loss. Your plan sounds wonderful.

I haven't been to Alaska either, but I have been doing a LOT of research for my upcoming trip, and according to both the guidebooks on Alaska cruising that I've read and firsthand accounts from travelers, a cruise that visits Glacier Bay is considered a must for first-timers, as a seminal "image of Alaska" experience.

I have similar tastes to you - wildlife, scenery - so I picked a Vancouver to Seward 7-day cruise with Norwegian that ends with a 4-hour scenic train trip from Seward to Anchorage airport.

I'm so glad you're at a point in your life where you can be happy and celebrate again.

I don't have any specific advice since I don't leave for my cruise until June, but just some general advice - if you can splurge, do. You know better than most how short life is, so if you find something you really want to do, do it. I've found that my most special trips come from saying yes to things, not "well, I'm not sure." And the second is not to place too much importance on things being special enough or perfect. They might be or they might not be, but sometimes if the expectations are too high it can be disappointing if things don't go exactly as planned. If something falls through, or a meal wasn't as great as you hoped, use it as an excuse to try something else.

I truly hope you have a wonderful trip.

There are so many activities and excursions to choose from at each port. Look over your ship's excursion list and see what appeals. If you want to replicate an excursion independently, post the info and people will offer suggestions on private vendors to use.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises which may help you with excursion choices .... Ann Viponds "Alaska by cruiseship' and Fodors "Alaska ports of call'.

Each port/town has a web site that provides info on sights, activities, vendors in that town. This link provides useful web sites.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308385

There are also many trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of this page. Many are detailed photojournals which provide first hand recommendations on activities.

Doing the research is half the fun, and helps build excitement for the trip.

Edited by mapleleaves

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have lost my husband since our Alaska vacation and can feel your pain. BUT I live just down the street from you! Off 140 in Canton.

We had two wonderful trips to Alaska. On one trip we planned thoroughly and rented a car in Anchorage and toured the Kenai Peninsula on our own. Great Trip. But the first trip we were on a Princess land tour. I loved Denali. In Skagway the train trip was nice, but on the second trip we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. Just beautiful. In Juneau, the whale watch was great and we rented a car and drove to many places and enjoyed Mendenhall Glacier a lot. In Ketchikan we had a short tour with a guide named Lois and she took us to totem park. So interesting, then, just had the rest of the day to ourselves. It is a very pretty town with lots and lots of flowers. We do geocaching and had a wonderful fun time with that in Ketchikan.

Hope these few ideas will spur you on to look for others. We looked in Ann Viponds book before traveling.

First of all, my condolences for your loss.

Here are my suggestions, in no particular order:

In Skagway I wholeheartedly recommend Alaska Wilderness River Adventure. I did a similar excursion the last time I was in Skagway and it was absolutely gorgeous. They'll ferry you over to Haines to catch the bus to get you to the preserve. TONS of photographic possibilities (eagles, moose, and even the occasional beaver). Probably the best excursion I have ever taken on any cruise.

In Juneau you have numerous choices. I would say definitely anything involving Mendenhall Glacier and/or whale watching is the way to go. If you decide on a helicopter tour, bear in mind that tours in the early morning hours tend to be cancelled because of fog. (Happened to me twice!) Looking at what Celebrity offers, I'd lean towards Whale Quest, Orca Point Lodge & Mendenhall Glacier. On my upcoming cruise I am going on the Mendenhall Glacier By Helicopter And Guided Walk.

In Ketchikan it can be very "tourist-y". Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the port, but it does have its unique charms. :) If you want to stick with going simple, there's Saxman Village or the Lumberjack Show, both tend to get a lot of people. Since you're looking more for wildlife, etc., I'd suggest any flightseeing tour over the Misty Fjords.

In Victoria, the Butchart and Butterfly Gardens are always a highlight.

Hopefully that helps! :)

Thank you Kevin! We had to change our trip to July 1st because of a work conflict. When are you cruising?