My haven experience

dolphin lady

My husband and I cruised on the breakaway (4th time) the week of Feb 28 in a haven for the first time. We loved the idea of the haven,unfortunately our experience was not a good one.

We were inundated with kids! The first few days at sea they took over the pools, the hot tubs, jumping on the lounge chairs, running around and just very noisy. They were even allowed to sit at the bar. I mention something to the concierge one day as I was leaving the haven and he didn't seem to care. One woman actually spoke to the kids to be quiet they were giving her a headache. Towards the end of the week they were a little better, perhaps the conierge did speak to them, but still at certain times was noisy.

We totally enjoyed our butler Romana and being in a suite. I do realize that it's not always that way, but I don't know if spend that kind of money again . We can be aggravated for a lot less money. I don't know what ncl can do about all these children in the haven,but something needs to be done.

Sorry your experience was ruined by children. Unfortunately kids will always be in the Haven if NCL wants to keep the Haven full. Even at Havens prices you can not control whom you sail with.

I think the solution could be to buy a Vibe pass. Being a Haven guest you have first chance to purchase them. They are additional $99 per person but guarantee no kids.

I know Carnival Vista is going to have Havana Cabins that everyone has to 12 or older. I have never cruised Carnival but these rooms might just get me on a Carnival ship since my kids are over 12.

I believe it, on our cruise a few weeks ago my wife and I met a couple in the Vibe club who had a cabin in the Haven. I thought it was strange to get a vibe pass and to have a haven cabin, but to each their own. We later found out why, the couple had a few kids, they let them run wild in the haven while mom and dad enjoyed the peace of the vide:rolleyes:

We sail with our kids and I believe they should behave themselves as if we were at someone else's home. Polite, courteous, etc. they have a great time, and are still silly, without being disruptive. I think that parents either need to get control of their kids (e.g. Don't leave them alone in the haven) or NCL should institute policies like children must be with an adult to use the haven courtyard, and other ones about noise.

We are sailing a thanksgiving week in the haven. I am hoping while we try to enjoy the courtyard with our daughters, others children don't spoil it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We sail with our kids and I believe they should behave themselves as if we were at someone else's home. Polite, courteous, etc. they have a great time, and are still silly, without being disruptive. I think that parents either need to get control of their kids (e.g. Don't leave them alone in the haven) or NCL should institute policies like children must be with an adult to use the haven courtyard, and other ones about noise.

We are sailing a thanksgiving week in the haven. I am hoping while we try to enjoy the courtyard with our daughters, others children don't spoil it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree with this. We are also sailing with our kids in the Haven on an upcoming cruise. I think the issue is just with people being disrespectful towards other - period (children or adults).

As parents, it is our responsibility to make sure that our children are respectful toward others (while still understanding that young children may still have their moments), but I have also been around plenty of loud, disrespectful adults on cruise ships.

The Vibe pass is a nice option if you want to make sure that you are in an adults only area.

They do allow children but there are only 12 rooms in the Haven and only a handful outside the Haven that have access. The pool is small and as such is not suitable for children. In addition, the older ships have less amenities than the newer ones. So if you want to relax, away from the crowd,go on the jewel class

I'm sorry your Haven experience was tarnished by unruly children.

My Haven experience was tarnished by unruly adults behaving exactly the same as the children on yours. The Concierge didn't seem to care in that case either.

I don't know what NCL can do about all these inconsiderate persons in the Haven, but something needs to be done.

My husband and I cruised on the breakaway (4th time) the week of Feb 28 in a haven for the first time. We loved the idea of the haven,unfortunately our experience was not a good one.

We were inundated with kids! The first few days at sea they took over the pools, the hot tubs, jumping on the lounge chairs, running around and just very noisy. They were even allowed to sit at the bar. I mention something to the concierge one day as I was leaving the haven and he didn't seem to care. One woman actually spoke to the kids to be quiet they were giving her a headache. Towards the end of the week they were a little better, perhaps the conierge did speak to them, but still at certain times was noisy.

We totally enjoyed our butler Romana and being in a suite. I do realize that it's not always that way, but I don't know if spend that kind of money again . We can be aggravated for a lot less money. I don't know what ncl can do about all these children in the haven,but something needs to be done.

That is disappointing! :(

There have always been kids in the Haven when we have sailed - but fortunately they have been well behaved.

A bigger problem - for us on the Escape 2.20.16 - was adults bringing the non-Haven "friends" to hang out on the Haven sundeck. On a sea day - folks from the Haven could not get seats outside because a bunch were occupied by those from outside the Haven.

A bar server even told them that they could not be in the Haven without permission from the concierge when they presented their cards to get drinks. Told them they would have to leave. They said "we are here with our friends" and the server brought them their drinks anyway! :mad: :eek: :mad: They were quite loud and boisterous about enjoying the area and this is the way to do it - while keeping those who paid for it from being able to enjoy it.

VERY frustrating!

I suppose I should apologize now for my child being in the Haven when we sail on the Escape next year. Thing is, for us, there isn't really an option give the depth of the "family" pool that even has a sign in front of it that warns against pregnant women, child and folks with heart conditions from using it.

That said, my child is well behaved and doesn't run around or jump on things like a crazy person.

I suppose I should apologize now for my child being in the Haven when we sail on the Escape next year. Thing is, for us, there isn't really an option give the depth of the "family" pool that even has a sign in front of it that warns against pregnant women, child and folks with heart conditions from using it.

That said, my child is well behaved and doesn't run around or jump on things like a crazy person.

See...now I hate that you feel that way! :(

No one ever said that the Haven was an adult only area and those that book it expecting adults only and nothing but whispers for noise will no doubt be disappointed.

Kids have every right to be there. But those that are causing a ruckus and are basically unsupervised should be managed by the parents or the concierge - IMHO.

Please don't feel that way! My (well-behaved) son has been in the Haven and he and other very well-behaved children were treated with the same level of respect they displayed. Honestly, I think everyone is just so relieved to see respectful children they go out of their way to express their appreciation.

The Haven was over run on the Getaway in June, but I expected it, given how many families choose the Haven and since school was out.

That said, NCL should make sure that behavior guidelines are followed and IMHO, children should not be on a pool deck unsupervised. I'm a grandparent and love my babies but folks (or NCL if they do not) need to keep the environment pleasant for ALL ages.

Happy cruzin, Have you ever been in The courtyard?

I can see that you have cruised a lot and spend the rest of your time on here.

Why YES I have!

We have sailed the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and the Escape with the Epic booked again - all with Haven cabins. We've spent LOTS of time in and around the courtyard on all of our Haven sailings.

Thanks for asking! ;)

Edited by happy cruzin

Been in the Haven 3 times in last 3 months... ( non of the trips were during any type of Holiday period)...twice on Getaway and once on Escape.... This is what the courtyard looked like at most times during the day.... Couldn't get into the hot tubs.. No parents visible...kids jumping from chair to chair in the shallow pool... When several people went to talk to the concierge he said " you should have seen this place during Thanksgiving"....I told him the Haven Courtyard is starting to look like the "Haven Splash Acadamy"... At about 7 PM one evening I saw a gentleman with several young boys slip the concierge some money and told hip to keep an eye on the boys in the lounge while he and his wife went off to dinner...obviously the concierge or courtyard attendants are not going to take a chance with their tips to try and control the situation...but , NCL does need to come up with something.

Edited by Host Star

I suppose I should apologize now for my child being in the Haven when we sail on the Escape next year.

No need to apologize for your child being there since...

...my child is well behaved and doesn't run around or jump on things like a crazy person.

Have a great time. My kids and I will also be in the Haven and I also have no need to apologize for the exact same reason.

For the OP, it's unfortunate but passengers can't choose how other passengers (adults or children) will behave on a cruise ship. There is very little that the staff can do unless someone's safety is in danger. Even the enforcement of the rules would be deemed draconian in the eyes of the unruly passenger.

I (on the other hand) have NO PROBLEM using a stern voice towards unruly kids. If their parents have a problem with me, they can say or do whatever they want but if their child is a problem, THEY need to deal with their child, not me.

(After seeing the pictures above)

I would grab the kid and tell him "You can't do that!". If he runs and tells his daddy, I'll have a talk with the daddy as well. If daddy tries the "...my kid can do whatever he wants..." with me, I'll explain that if he feels that way, I can also do "whatever I want" and "crying kid" would soon follow.

Too many people are afraid to say something and will simply stew about it for their entire cruise then complain on the CC boards when they get home. That's not me.

I cant believe kids don't get bored in the Haven and not want to play on the slides and kids water park area. I am in the Haven May 8th on the getaway and I pray we don't have a lot of kids in there during that sailing! I love kids so much but when I am on vacation....I need relaxation from the crazy everyday life. But on the flipside, this is when you decide do you want to cruise or do you think an all inclusive adults resort somewhere is a better choice! either way you get a tan LOL

I'll be in the Haven on the Getaway May 8th also....and my wife and I were saying the exact same thing when we were on the Escape a few weeks ago....wouldn't these kids be having so much more fun in the children's water park and slide area....but that would probably infer that the parents would have to take them over there and stay with them

We are on the Breakaway in April and are considering upgrading to the Haven so it won't be as crowded. We are traveling with our 9 year old daughter and know there will be tons of kids due to school vacation week. Figure we will spend some time out near the kids area with our daughter but also in the Haven. She is very well behaved and we know when kids get together they goof off and get a little crazy but let me tell you if I caught her walking on those chairs it would certainly be the last time that she did.

I can't believe people would tip the staff and leave their kids at the pool, although I have seen plenty of kids at the main pools on their own so I nothing really surprises me to much.