My haven experience

dolphin lady

Jewel class ships have a very small Haven (courtyard.)

I am looking at a cruise on Jade and having only experienced Breakaway I can see the obvious differences but some questions.

Does the Jade have a bar area for drinks??

Also I saw something, somewhere, that said access to the Star bar during the day. what does this exactly mean??

Where is the concierge desk on these class ships??

Thanks in advance

Yes, on the Escape all suites have access to the Haven area no matter where they are located on the ship. This is also the case for all the "away" ships.

Not be confused with mini-suites, which do not have access.

I am looking at a cruise on Jade and having only experienced Breakaway I can see the obvious differences but some questions.

Also I saw something, somewhere, that said access to the Star bar during the day. what does this exactly mean??

Thanks in advance

Please note that the Haven on Jewel class is very small and there is no private restaurant or bar. Haven and suites guest on the Jewel class ships have breakfast and lunch in Moderno (or Cagney's). I am not sure if they have turned the Star Bar on the Jade into moderno yet - if that is the case, then the Star bar does not exist anymore.

I remember that disaster! It was on a Jade European sailing and there were a lot of very unhappy Haven cruisers! I believe that those who complained did receive some compensation.

Just looked at a very old book of deck plans for the Jewel. As stated above, the area was called "The Courtyard" when the ship was originally built.

Thank you for backing me up. I knew it wasn't called "The Haven" back then ;)

Thanks in advance

Hi Debde,

We cruised in January on the Jade. There is no bar in the Haven, as other posters have said it is small but very nice. Cagney's is the venue for breakfast and lunch for Haven guests, maybe suite guests, it was never crowded and the food and service were great. Star Bar is directly across the hall and is where the Haven Concierge desk is located, this bar is used primarily for Haven and Suite guests and events although the hours it is open are limited. Even when there is no bartender your Haven key card grants you access, it is a nice overlook of the pool and a great place to escape the chaos.

We had such a great time we booked a 10-day on the Jade for January 2017.

Hi Debde,

We cruised in January on the Jade. There is no bar in the Haven, as other posters have said it is small but very nice. Cagney's is the venue for breakfast and lunch for Haven guests, maybe suite guests, it was never crowded and the food and service were great. Star Bar is directly across the hall and is where the Haven Concierge desk is located, this bar is used primarily for Haven and Suite guests and events although the hours it is open are limited. Even when there is no bartender your Haven key card grants you access, it is a nice overlook of the pool and a great place to escape the chaos.

We had such a great time we booked a 10-day on the Jade for January 2017.

thank you very much!!

Do you happen to recall how often bar service was available/open in the Star Bar?

Okay, so here is the point I was trying to initially get at. The Jewel class ships don't have the same amenities as the Away class ships have as far as the "Haven". They are very beautiful suites but not what you find on the Away ships now days. They don't have the bells and wistles that you see on the new ships, SO...proving my point that they just tried to TRANSFORM the "Courtyards" into the "Haven".....New cruisers and new NCL cruisers are getting very confused about this and I have read a lot of posts of people asking about it because they think the Gem Haven is just like the Escape, or the Getaway.....which is very untrue.....:D

Okay, so here is the point I was trying to initially get at. The Jewel class ships don't have the same amenities as the Away class ships have as far as the "Haven". They are very beautiful suites but not what you find on the Away ships now days. They don't have the bells and wistles that you see on the new ships, SO...proving my point that they just tried to TRANSFORM the "Courtyards" into the "Haven".....New cruisers and new NCL cruisers are getting very confused about this and I have read a lot of posts of people asking about it because they think the Gem Haven is just like the Escape, or the Getaway.....which is very untrue.....:D

Yup-I'm one of those newbies with the questions.!! ;)

With my research it is very easy to see the difference. That's why it helps us, that those of you who have already been ,can help us with the comparison.

For example- I have seen pictures of tables and chairs that looks like it is set for quick eats in the the non 'away' Havens. Am i right??? Also the Star Bar perk is really not explained on the website so I was wondering if it was an open functioning bar in the afternoon and evening for Haven guests.???

and yes-already answered but where the concierge desk is!!

Some of us who have been around a while came up on the Jewel class as the "original haven or courtyard", wharever you want to call them. I love the space. It CAN be quiet, intimate and relaxing.

Some of us who have been around a while came up on the Jewel class as the "original haven or courtyard", wharever you want to call them. I love the space. It CAN be quiet, intimate and relaxing.

It can be when there are no children in the hot tub or pool or running from chair to chair.

It can be when there are no children in the hot tub or pool or running from chair to chair.

Or obnoxious adults sitting in the hot tub or pool or on chairs being loud.

The point is, there are misbehavers at all ages. I don't see how a kid sitting in the hot tub (and doing only that) is disruptive.

<sarcasm>That is unless playground rules and we are worried cooties.</sarcasm off>

Unfortunately I do not recall the star bar hours where a bartender is staffed, we enjoyed the martini bar a lot and got to know several of huge bartenders so often found ourselves going there. If you want to relax in the Havn there is a dedicated person that is happy to bring you good and drinks just let him know what you want and your expectations.

I would love to try Escape or one of the Away ships but I a concerned that the haven will be too busy for us!

Thank you again dporter!!

We enjoyed the haven on Breakaway and found it an Oasis. I'd think you would love it!

The star bar also looks like the closest to the Haven so that's why I was asking. Don't mind visiting the bar myself;) so just was asking the hours. That would be the one thing we would miss on the smaller ships. Being able to have that quiet private bar in a very close proximity.

Thank you again dporter!!

We enjoyed the haven on Breakaway and found it an Oasis. I'd think you would love it!

The star bar also looks like the closest to the Haven so that's why I was asking. Don't mind visiting the bar myself;) so just was asking the hours. That would be the one thing we would miss on the smaller ships. Being able to have that quiet private bar in a very close proximity.

Thanks Debde,

Maybe we will try one of the Away ships in 2018 since we already have 2017 planned.

I so wish we had enough vacation time to take more trips each year - some day!

Unfortunately I do not recall the star bar hours where a bartender is staffed, we enjoyed the martini bar a lot and got to know several of huge bartenders so often found ourselves going there. If you want to relax in the Havn there is a dedicated person that is happy to bring you good and drinks just let him know what you want and your expectations.

I would love to try Escape or one of the Away ships but I a concerned that the haven will be too busy for us!

On the Jewel class ships there is also a Courtyard (or Haven) butler. He can get drinks for you and also serves food at the tables (during the hours that Cagney's is open for breakfast and lunch). He is only there during certain hours, but that is certainly another option since these areas don't have a dedicated bar like the new ships do.

We have sailed suites in the Star - no Haven, Pearl and Jade - Jewel Class Haven, Getaway - Megaship Haven and recently in the Epic - One-off Big Haven, so we have experienced pretty well all of the different types.

The original Havens in the Jewel Class ships are small and intimate with just the courtyard inside the Haven itself and use of special facilities in Cagney's for Breakfast and Lunch. They have the courtyard with a small power pool and easy chairs and loungers plus a small area with tables where the Courtyard Butler will serve food at breakfast and lunch. The Courtyard is usually quiet and restful although it can be spoiled if there are either young or old who don't respect others. However the odds favour the quiet side because of the small number of eligible suites and the fact that the area is not conducive to rushing around between the seats. There are no direct elevators into the Haven and access is either by a small staircase and key controlled door just off the landing area outside Cagney's.

I will cover Epic next because it was the second NCL design attempt at the Haven concept. The Haven on the Epic includes several different areas and serves many more suites including some suites all over the ship. The Epic Haven is not a single coherent area and moving around the various sections you are forever pulling and pushing access control doors, some with buttons and some using keycards. The Courtyard is quite large, has no roof and is on two decks although most of the outside area is on Deck 16. Lots of loungers, a couple of hot tubs, a well-equipped gym, sauna and private rooms for spa treatments. There is a substantial restaurant with windows looking out to the rear pools and adventure areas and out over the port side. The elevators on one side of the forward bank come out on Deck 16 onto a landing with general access to sundecks and there is a keycard controlled access door into a kind of snack bar with windows with open gaps between them out to the side of the ship, where there is a bar and snacks are served when the main Haven Restaurant is not open. Going the other way from the elevators is another keycard controlled door leading to the concierge desk and a small lounge with another bar. The access to the main Haven Restaurant is from this lounge and there is also access to one of the glass elevators that goes down to Deck 15 and the buffet and it also takes you up to the Posh sundeck and bar. This elevator is also keycard controlled at several points.

All-in-all the Haven on the Epic is a bit of a mishmash of facilities that seems to have no coherence to it at all. I suppose it took virtually the whole of the first week on the ship before we could find exactly what we wanted without having to think about it! Because of this non-integrated design, you can only move between your suite and the courtyard without constantly using your keycard or pressing buttons to get through the doors. I think it is best described by the words we use in the UK to describe a camel as a horse designed and built by a committee! The Epic Haven seems to have been designed and built by several UN committees none of who seem to have had access to one another. Everything on the specification was there but they were all "combined" a bit like a confused set of Lego.

Having been on Getaway before Epic, we were a bit spoiled for the Haven because the Getaway Haven was finally built as an integral part of the ship. When you come into it though the main keycard controlled door from the elevators you are in the Haven. Past the concierge desk and into the lounge bar and you can go directly to the Haven Restaurant, the courtyard and the suites. The design of the Getaway (and I assume the other "away" ships) flows in a superb way. The simplicity of the way you move around makes for a much more relaxed and homely atmosphere all together, bringing guests back to the sort of atmosphere enjoyed in he Jewel Class Havens. Getaway seems to have pretty well everything that was in the Epic but it has been put together in a much more relaxed and well designed fashion. It also seems to be catering for fewer guests than on Epic although that might be an illusion because those on the Getaway know their way around better.

Did NCL finally get everything right on the Getaway - not quite. The lack of a roof on the Courtyard was a big mistake. When we were on it last fall sailing to the south-east Caribbean, it rained most nights and some days as well and the staff were forever clearing up wet sunbeds and there were precious few days when anyone was in there. How guests will be cope next year in Northern Europe is anyone's guess. The final, albeit small thing they got wrong was the vanity sinks in the suite bathrooms. They would have looked great in the glossy bathroom catalogue, but they were actually pretty useless imitations of a Chinese cooking wok. They held hardly any washing water and sloshed even that out if there was the slightest movement of the ship - a classic case of style over function.

Like others have said, if you came through the Haven journey via the Jewel Class ships they are still probably still going to feel best, but if you went first to the megaship Havens, the extra facilities probably probably swing them better to your taste. What I would say though is that if, like us, you have had good experiences of the early Havens, and were not expecting the megaship Havens to be as good, don't worry they will be at least as good if not better, even on the Epic (just make sure you have a convenient way to keep your keycard on you when you leave your suite what ever you are wearing and wherever you want to go!).