Staggered Boarding...am I understanding this correctly

Hillwood

I just got an email regarding online check in and staggered boarding for my upcoming cruise on March 28. Part of the email reads: "Although guests may access the terminal at 10:00 AM, based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30 PM."

Am I reading that right? Is it saying that even though I have a check in from 10:30-11 that we can't board until 12:30? Surely not! I've cruised many times and have always boarded well before then. With my 8 year old and especially my 2 year old along with my elderly parents that doesn't sound like my idea of fun. Can anyone clarify because I have a feeling I'm missing something here. Thanks in advance!

I just got an email regarding online check in and staggered boarding for my upcoming cruise on March 28. Part of the email reads: "Although guests may access the terminal at 10:00 AM, based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30 PM."

Am I reading that right? Is it saying that even though I have a check in from 10:30-11 that we can't board until 12:30? Surely not! I've cruised many times and have always boarded well before then. With my 8 year old and especially my 2 year old along with my elderly parents that doesn't sound like my idea of fun. Can anyone clarify because I have a feeling I'm missing something here. Thanks in advance!

I've sailed out of NOLA multiple times in the last couple years. I would expect 11:30 to around noon for embarkation to begin unless there are unusual circumstances. So yea, even if you can check in before then, you will be seated in the boarding area to wait until embarkation begins. The embarkation staff in NOLA are really nice, but you will be seated in a hard plastic chair after checking in until the ship is cleared to begin boarding. I wouldn't rush to check in if you have options.

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

I found an old thread and it does seem that I'm not crazy. LOL. It's been a few years since we went out of New Orleans and, based on the older thread dated around the last time we sailed out of there, we did in fact board around 11-11:30 am as I remember. Looks like things have changed. We will definitely change our check-in time. We are in suites so it really doesn't matter anyway on the time we pick. I am just disappointed because I have to get a nap in for the 2-year old before muster drill and it's going to be pushing it. Lots of anxiety taking the little one this time.

Carnival is going to staggered boarding and will eventually include all ports. They explained it to me that you will be given a check in time and you will not be allowed to enter the terminal until that time. You can arrive before that but you will have to wait in line outside. You can check in after your given time., but not before.

This information was given to me from a carnival rep. She said it has helped with the port crowding.

If NOLA is part of the pilot of staggered boarding (and I think it is) you might not be allowed in the terminal until your assigned boarding time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't mind sitting in the waiting area of a port before being able to board ship....Great people watching and love the excitement of being told that it's time to get on the ship.

We're always up very early so find that after breakfast we are too antsy to just sit at the pre-cruise hotel until it's time to take a shuttle.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees when it comes to actual boarding times. Delays happen. On my Dream cruise last year my husband and I arrived at port at 10:30. Check in was a breeze since we had FTTF. But we didn't end up boarding until well after 1:00. The Dream had been delayed getting back to port because of the weather, and disembarkation didn't go well due to people not following directions.

But I agree with tbmrt, sitting and waiting to board wasn't bad at all. Of course it was my first cruise, so I was already super excited and everything was new to me. Plus, I had a great view of the ship to stare at in amazement. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

People keep saying staggered boarding, which is something carnival has always done with boarding zone numbers, the new thing is staggered check in. You can not enter the port building until your scheduled check in time. you can go later than your scheduled time. Staggered boarding begins when the ship is cleared and all previous cruisers are debarked as always. If you are hoping to walk directly onto the ship after check in then i would arrive later at noon or later.

New Orleans, which I've sailed out of many times and have always boarded right away.

Was just in New Orleans last weekend and did a ships inspection on the Elation and the Dream. Both times while I was checking in they started boarding passengers, around 11 - 11:30 AM. Weddings, Platinum and FTTF first and then zones. On Saturday (the Elation) they were boarding zone 6 by the time I entered the ship at 11:45.

Just because the email says boarding is scheduled to begin at 12:30 doesn't mean it can't start earlier. They generally say that boarding starts at 12:30 because of the myriad of delays that can occur in docking, getting the other passengers off, and getting the ship ready. When all goes smoothly, boarding starts earlier, as early 11 a.m. in NOLA, but Carnival would obviously prefer that guests are pleasantly surprised rather than annoyed that boarding is late. They would also like to spread out arrivals to the port. So...if your main goal is to board as soon as possible and you don't mind waiting if necessary, you should still check in by 11 a.m. and hope for the best.

I was told via e-mail and a call from Carnival that if I were to arrive into the Port ahead of my scheduled time they would make me leave and come back.

Yes. If you are sailing from one of the ports that has implemented staggered check in times and arrive before your selected time you will not be allowed into the terminal.

If you don't want to risk sitting around the terminal waiting then pick a later check in time.

Funny thing is people get annoyed when they can't board immediately but then others complain about having to be out of their room by a certain time in the morning. Those same people will complain is the ship isn't clean.

It takes time to clean and I would rather wait then be in a dirty room or ship.

I just cruised out of NOLA. Our check in time was 10-1030 and our paperwork was checked several times for that. We were also FTTF. We would not have been allowed to enter the terminal if we had arrived early. The lady at the door polices it very well... lol.

Boarding began at 1130 on the nose for the Suite and VIP guests. The FTTF boarded within minutes after that.

I just cruised out of NOLA. Our check in time was 10-1030 and our paperwork was checked several times for that. We were also FTTF. We would not have been allowed to enter the terminal if we had arrived early. The lady at the door polices it very well... lol.

Boarding began at 1130 on the nose for the Suite and VIP guests. The FTTF boarded within minutes after that.

Thank you for that information! I am mainly trying to be sure to plan appropriately so that I am not sitting or standing around with a 2 year old and 2 74 year olds when we could have taken our time getting to the terminal.

I am accustomed to boarding around 11:30 and was mainly wondering why it said 12:30. I am glad that your experience was that they boarded earlier. We originally had a check in time of 10:30 but after seeing the responses from everyone we changed it to 12:00. Now I am wondering if we should change it back. LOL.

Don't mind sitting in the waiting area of a port before being able to board ship....Great people watching and love the excitement of being told that it's time to get on the ship.

We're always up very early so find that after breakfast we are too antsy to just sit at the pre-cruise hotel until it's time to take a shuttle.

I would too if I didn't have a 2 year old with me. :o