Aircon bacteria on Azura

Lovetoboogie

Just returned from two weeks in Caribbean onboard Azura - lovely holiday until I came down with a chest infection due wholly and entirely to the air conditioning on the ship. Every time I went into the dining room, the theatre or any of the bars, I could feel the aircon upsetting me. My only respite was to go outside and breathe the fresh air. I now have a 60 a day smokers cough thanks to P&O. Thankfully my doc has prescribed antibiotics specifically designed to treat aircon bacteria.

Sorry for your condition, but how do you know you didn't catch it off another passenger instead of the aircon. Not saying you are wrong, but you can't be sure. Germs carry on ships and other crowded environments.[/quot

I second this . I caught a bad case pneumonia from a passenger on an Alaskan Cruise last August.

Just returned from two weeks in Caribbean onboard Azura - lovely holiday until I came down with a chest infection due wholly and entirely to the air conditioning on the ship. Every time I went into the dining room, the theatre or any of the bars, I could feel the aircon upsetting me. My only respite was to go outside and breathe the fresh air. I now have a 60 a day smokers cough thanks to P&O. Thankfully my doc has prescribed antibiotics specifically designed to treat aircon bacteria.

Have you informed P@O that the air conditioning has caused you a problem, if there is a problem with their filters they really need to know about it and get it sorted - hopefully before the end of next week when I will be on board:D

Sorry you have come back from your trip poorly and I hope you get better soon.

I am sorry to hear you fell ill on your cruise and hope you feel better soon.

But you cannot blame the illness wholly on the aircon and P &O. The aircon may make you feel worse by its very nature - many people with chest conditions find aircon too dry - but it is highly unlikely to have caused your illness in the first place, unless you are talking about the Legionella virus....in which case a large number of pax would have been affected. There are some horrendous cough and chest condition bugs going around in the UK at the moment - it is far more likely you caught this from another passenger, or were even harbouring it on embarkation....or even caught it from someone on your plane - the recirulation of airborne bacteria on a plane is far more likely to have been the culprit.

Sounds like you are trying to blame something on P &O in the hope of some redress....I am not a P &O flag bearer, but it seems they get the blame for everything these days...even the weather...

Edited by Mysticalmother

Yes there have been some really nasty coughs and chest infections around this winter. Every time I have used any form of public transport all I have heard is hacking coughs all around me. My husband and I have both had it but it's finally cleared up after several weeks so I'm hoping that will give me some immunity on Azura in 3 weeks' time!

We have just returned from Azura. I am very prone to chest problems but had no problem on or since the cruise. My daughter-in-law works on the NHS 111 helpline and she says that for several weeks now a large number of their calls are about bad coughs and other chest conditions.

We were on Ventura in October and we both came back with a chest infection but I very much doubt that the ship was to blame, there were lots of people on the ship who were coughing from the start of the cruise. We use the hand sanitizer and wash our hand regularly but when you are in a confined space theater, lifts etc. There is always a chance of picking something up.

It would be easy to say people who are sick shouldn't get on a ship, but that's not realistic because travel insurance will never pay out if you don't go if you have a cold or a cough and who is going to throw away a couple of thousand pounds or more by not going if they have a cough of cold.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Having worked in a building fitted with air conditioning systems and being involved with the building maintanence programme, air conditioning filters have to be checked and replaced on a regular basis.

I am quite sure the ships engineers will be upto speed on thus maintanence scenario. As others have said listen to the coughs and snuffles on your outward flight/coach/other form of transport journey before you blame the shipboard environment.