Healthy Eating Hacks (boring, I know)

Protein burger is the ticket. No bun and everything else stuffed between 2 lettuce leaves....yummo:D

That's a great choice! Lunch isn't always a big issue, so why not make it a choice that stays on track.

I think that many people think, oh I've eaten something bad, the whole day is shot to hell. Might as well eat like there's no tomorrow.

Eat a good bfast, a light lunch and be choosy on what you eat at dinner.

Small steps to maintaining a good game plan to keep you on track. Think with your head not with your emotions[emoji6]

Edited by momonthego17

I'm on WW too and have lost 60lbs.

On my last cruise I weighed at home and was up 7 lbs, but the following week when I weighed in on their scale I was only up 2 lbs. One more week of following the plan very strictly and I was down 3 lbs.

So after a 2 week cruise and 2 week recovery my net loss was 1 pound.

What makes me most thrilled is I was easily able to get back to my regular meal plan. I don't really crave foods anymore, mostly because I allow myself an occasional indulgence so there isn't anything off limits.

On the ship I eat mostly chicken or fish, salads (I bring my own FF dressing), egg substitute at breakfast (which is what I eat at home), I'm not really a bread eater, nor are sweets my thing. Although my sister and I did share a bite each of WCMC and Crème Brulee.

DH and I have been on Weight Watchers since October I am about 8 pounds of my goal and DH is halfway to his. We have made good progress on actually changing our food habits and lifestyle to be healthier. We have a July family reunion cruise scheduled, and I hope we can stick to our good habits. These tips are helpful. We plan to do a lot of walking, and hope to make good choices (healthy MDR breakfast and lunch, splurge a little at dinner -I've pretty much decided to have what I want, but just not eat all of it (3 bite rule has been working well for me on desserts.) My main concern is drinking - Those DOD's are full of sugar and calories,; appreciate any suggestions for a refreshing cocktail that's lower in calories? Planning on taking some flavor drops for water.

Edited by simplelife

Hey guys! As of today, I have lost 50 lbs in the last year thanks to weight watchers. I leave on April 24 and do not want to gain the 10-15 lbs I gained on my January cruise. What are some healthy eating hacks you would recommend on board?

You know the ropes of dieting. So you gained, most was likely water retention anyway. I would not remain in full dieting mode on a cruise and miss the food fun, but eat sensibly and don't gouge on desserts.

You know the ropes of dieting. So you gained, most was likely water retention anyway. I would not remain in full dieting mode on a cruise and miss the food fun, but eat sensibly and don't gouge on desserts.

Agreed and would add lots and lots of walking and other exercise

Used to gain 5 lbs per week on a cruise now only about 2.

At home walk 10000 steps a day on cruise goal is 15' date='000 and I do it

lots of salads and avoid fatty dressings. Grilled protein such as fish and chicken.

Most desserts look a lot better than they taste, only have a spoon or two.

[/quote']

This is exactly what we do. Take our pedometers everywhere! If it's too windy outside, I'll even walk the hallways lol. It all adds up.

So true about the desserts! They look awesome but often disappoint. We don't do dessert at home so don't even start the habit on the ship. Exception is creme brulee night :)

~Denise

.....................My main concern is drinking - Those DOD's are full of sugar and calories,; appreciate any suggestions for a refreshing cocktail that's lower in calories? Planning on taking some flavor drops for water.

Gin and tonic

Aperol Spritz- Prosecco, Aperol, soda water

Fresh Italian might be ok - has some juices in it. The recipe is on the after dinner drink menu in the MDR

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We use lots of the strategies others have mentioned. An additional one that we also use to to delay certain behaviors until later in the cruise. For the OP, it may be sugary fruity drinks, for me its ice cream cones or WCMC. I just avoid them as long as I can during the cruise. If I wait 3 or 4 days to start doing those things, my consumption will be much less. I just keep telling myself that it's too early in the cruise to have [insert name of your particular thing here].

Another light and refreshing drink is tequila and Wyler's light lemonade singles with a splash of OJ. You can take the singles of Wylers (grocery store, box of ten) make a 16 oz. water bottle of lemonade and take it with you to the bar. Ask for a tall glass of tequila with a splash of OJ and then fill it up with your Wylers. Get a squeeze of lime too!

An easy, no work for you drink is diet coke and rum with a squeeze of lime. Get it in a tall glass. I'm not a big fan of diet soda but at least you don't have an additional 100 or so sugary calories in your drink.

BTW, tonic water has as much sugar as cola and the same caloric count. If you like gin and tonic, either bring your own cans of diet tonic on board or have a gin and soda with a splash of cranberry and a squeeze of lime.

Have a great cruise!

Hey guys! As of today, I have lost 50 lbs in the last year thanks to weight watchers. I leave on April 24 and do not want to gain the 10-15 lbs I gained on my January cruise. What are some healthy eating hacks you would recommend on board?

Eat lots of fruit and veggies and water.

Honestly, keep an eye on your simple carbs first and foremost. Doesn't matter if the sugar comes from an orange or cheese cake, mind the sweet and you'll be okay.

Biologically fructose causes our livers to start the long chain triglyceride process (fat creation/storage), so anything w fructose (naturally occurring like fruits or added in the form of high fructose corn syrup) should be avoided at all costs.

My prep/cut diets and my gain diets are essentially the same # of calories, just a different mix of calories. Cut diet is a 50/25/25 mix (protein/fat/carbs) vs. the gain diet of 40/40/20 (protein/carbs/fat). Part of the mix, regardless of the type of diet is that I have simple carbs as low as possible w no simple carbs after 7.30 pm.

Edited by Viesczy

My employer started a weight loss club...great support and incentive to lose weight. I've lost 19 lbs so far and hope to lose at least 5 more before the cruise.(DH has lost 15 lbs). We started on Feb 1st and ends April 30th.... Our cruise is April 8th. Our plan for the cruise is to eat what we want in moderation....I've googled to see how many calories the famous warm chocolate melting cake is... I plan to order it ONE time!!! Our cruise has 3 sea days so on those days, we will walk the track a couple times each day....take the stairs... We usually have somewhat active excursions too. My goal is to not gain on the cruise...but I will remember that I'm on vacation!!! Good news is that our cruise gets back on Saturday and the company weigh in isn't until the following Wednesday!!! Congrats for the weight loss!!! Definitely not an easy journey!!! Good luck!!!

I've lost over 60 pounds with Weight Watchers and have kept it off for 3 1/2 years.

On cruises I am choosy. I indulge in foods that I don't have all the time or that are particular favorites. Stuff like pancakes and waffles and sausages I can have any time. Same with bread(though I do love bread). Generally I eat lighter at breakfast and lunch and a bit more for dinner.

If I try something and it's just ok, I leave it. I don't finish it.

I find that the lighter entrees at dinner are really good.

I've lost over 60 pounds with Weight Watchers and have kept it off for 3 1/2 years.

On cruises I am choosy. I indulge in foods that I don't have all the time or that are particular favorites. Stuff like pancakes and waffles and sausages I can have any time. Same with bread(though I do love bread). Generally I eat lighter at breakfast and lunch and a bit more for dinner.

If I try something and it's just ok, I leave it. I don't finish it.

I find that the lighter entrees at dinner are really good.

I do that too. If at the buffet I usually put a lot of smaller portions of different things on my plate so I can find the things I do like. That seems to get a lot of people up in arms on these threads for wasting food....but quite frankly I don't know until I've tried it and I'm not going to waste calories/carbs on food I don't like. A lot of times things look better to me than they taste plus I'm on a medication that makes me feel full a lot faster so sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach :o. In the MDR if I don't like the food the waiter usually can tell and will ask if they can get me something different. Usually they ask me that anyways since I rarely eat more than 1/2 my entrée anyways. Again I am an admitted food waster....but I'm not going to eat what I don't like and I'm not going to eat when I am full, it makes me feel sick now, so I try to limit how much of my entrée I eat so I can at least take a bite or two of dessert before my stomach hits the full trigger.

I splurge! I order room service (bagel, lox and cream cheese), I eat a Guys burger and FRIES, I order the fruity drinks and I eat dinner and get the warm chocolate melting cake! Knowing that I am going to do this (and knowing that no one is going to bring me breakfast, blend my fruity drinks or make me a yummy dinner with WCMC for dessert at home!) makes it easier to resist early on...if I started that on the first day, I'd be lost!

I splurge! I order room service (bagel, lox and cream cheese), I eat a Guys burger and FRIES, I order the fruity drinks and I eat dinner and get the warm chocolate melting cake! Knowing that I am going to do this (and knowing that no one is going to bring me breakfast, blend my fruity drinks or make me a yummy dinner with WCMC for dessert at home!) makes it easier to resist early on...if I started that on the first day, I'd be lost!

The new room service menu does not have lox.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm one of those people who manage to lose a few pounds when I cruise. I'm not a big fan of the food, so that probably has something to do with it. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and drink tons of water. I avoid the elevators and take the stairs...it's usually faster to take the stairs anyway. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine! Have a great cruise!

Breakfast was eggs, fruit and tea. Lunch I ate at the Mongolian Wok (forget about rice and noodles) and then for supper I had what I wanted (even dessert). Whatever I wanted wasn't anything like what I used to eat though so it was easier. For alcohol, I took crystal light with me, diet sprite and made my own drinks with Vodka. If I ordered at the bar, I asked for a bit of cranberry with diet sprite and the vodka. I came home 2lbs lighter, which was much better than the 17lb gain the cruise before O.o