Healthy Eating Hacks (boring, I know)

First, use the same logic you are using with WW. It's a life style change, not just a diet.

Watch your portion control, don't just eat all you are given. You can ask for appetizer sizes of many entrees. Keep track of your intake, but give yourself a little room for error, and allow for some splurging within reason. Maybe split a dessert with someone instead of eating it all.

Walk everywhere instead of taking the elevator. Hit the gym in the morning for a walk, run or bike ride. Drink LOTS of water (at least part of the normal gain is due to fluid retention).

And finally, congrats on the weight loss! Way to go!

Congratulations. Well done.

I too would avoid bread or if you can't limit yourself to say one roll a day and avoid butter.

For lunch try to have salad (be careful on the dressing) and have something like fish or chicken with it.

Be selective about deserts. Have fruit.

Again, congratulations.

Keith

Hey guys! As of today, I have lost 50 lbs in the last year thanks to weight watchers. I leave on April 24 and do not want to gain the 10-15 lbs I gained on my January cruise. What are some healthy eating hacks you would recommend on board?

I always lose a couple pounds on a cruise. First I am walking more than I do at home plus we take the stairs as much as possible. Second I usually eat a bigger breakfast but then a lighter snack for lunch. I avoid eating in between meals. Third at dinner I will only eat 1 roll. 1 or 2 appetizers, 1/2 my entrée, and 1/2 of my dessert. I stick mainly with ice tea and water to drink with an occasional glass of wine/champagne and 2-3 umbrella drinks for the whole cruise.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I too have lost that much over the past year but it was due to the medication they have me on for my diabetes making me lose most of my appetite (plus I lost a bunch when I went into the hospital for a dissected carotid artery). Not the way to lose it but I'm not complaining about that side affect.

Edited by Warm Breezes

-Can get a grilled chicken breast on ships that still have a grill.

-At the deli you can get any of the ingredients alone, not on a sandwich

-if you do eat pizza, customize it- light cheese, grab veggies (from the salad bar and ask for them to be put on your pizza. Have to take the whole pizza but you don't have to eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On one of my recent cruises, I actually dropped a lb. or two. I ordered whatever i wanted but didn't finish everything. I had salads with my meals. I drank red wine instead of the fruity drink of the day, everyday. I didn't go without dessert - I just took two small bites. I know this sounds wasteful but I wanted to taste everything knowing I couldn't eat it all.

Last thing is I walked a lot - did some laps around upper deck and took the stairs instead of the elevators, when I could.

Avoid the bread basket. Eat lots of salad. Instead of dessert, ask for a second appetizer. Eat in the MDR, not the buffet. EM

Congrats on your weight loss. Thinking back to your January cruise, what did you do or not do to gain 10 or 15 lbs that week?

I would avoid the over indulgences (larger portions, booze calories, no exercise) and concentrate on the positive stuff - lots of veggies and salads and movement. Keep the s in front of exercise to make it more pleasant.

Expect to gain a little weight on the cruise unless you want to be miserable. But you already know better than to go crazy on bread and desserts.

Shrimp cocktail is available every night in the dining room. Ask for lemon instead of cocktail sauce.

Find foods like ceviche, fish, and chicken breasts in the lido. Bean salads and other salads.

Stay active, take the stairs, walk. Enjoy your cruise.

After my first 10 Carnival cruises I realized I didn't have to act like a gavone every night and order double entrees.

I use the stairs unless it's more than 5 flights.

I don't drink booze. I look for active excursions.

I am usually weight neutral returning from a cruise.

Certainly don't feel miserable.

Edited by evandbob

Expect to gain a little weight on the cruise unless you want to be miserable. But you already know better than to go crazy on bread and desserts.

Shrimp cocktail is available every night in the dining room. Ask for lemon instead of cocktail sauce.

Find foods like ceviche, fish, and chicken breasts in the lido. Bean salads and other salads.

Stay active, take the stairs, walk. Enjoy your cruise.

I've never gained weight on a cruise and have always lost a couple pounds....13 cruises losing weight and have never been miserable. In fact my doctor once told me I should cruise more often.

I have been losing weight as well, and trying to bring my cholesterol down thru diet. Part of it was "pre-emptive" weight loss before the cruise so I could do what I wanted during the cruise.

My "healthy eating". As a general rule when not on a ship, I am trying to eat 100-200 calories every 2 hours, high in protein and fiber, low in sugar (a serving of protein and a serving of high quality carb plus non-processed fruits & veggies as much as possible). Usually dinner is way more than 200 calories though. I would guess 400+ish calories. Drink lots of water. I shoot for 8-16oz (1-2 cups) every time I am eating something. And eat lots of high fiber items like beans, oatmeal, fruits & veggies, etc. I try to get 5g fiber each time I eat my 2 hour meal, although it's very difficult, sometimes it's none or only 1-2g !!

One of the ladies traveling with us was so disciplined. She would order a salad and grilled chicken or grilled salmon and eat the side veggies, but none of the high carb/starch items like bread, potatoes, rice, fried stuff, etc. At breakfast she would eat hardboiled eggs, oatmeal, cottage cheese, and fruit (all available on the buffet). I think she had no desserts the entire trip.

On the ship, I admittedly went "crazy" and pretty much didn't follow the above. Except the eating every 2 hours part, haha. I did gain on my last cruise, but I was happy with where I ended up considering my eating habits. Only gained 5 lbs. :)

I splurged on the trip ! I did try to keep my portion size down, splitting sometimes with my husband when possible so I would have a taste of something without eating the entire serving. And I was pretty good during some of the breakfasts. I love the oatmeal on the ship with the sliced peaches or mangoes or whatever they are on the side. But I also had bacon/sausage, eggs benedict, or french toast some of the breakfasts. Besides that, I did not really stick to my normal diet. We did do a lot of walking and I took the stairs sometimes instead of the elevator. But I never went to the gym on the ship. And I did eat french fries and pizza at midnight a few nights (after everything else I had eaten all day).

There are soooo many things available that you can eat healthy on the ship. If you've been doing weight watchers, and you've obviously been very successful at it(!) then you already know what to do. Pretty much anything you want can be found on the ship ... black beans at the burrito bar, sliced turkey at the deli, etc etc. If you try to be healthy "most" of the time on the ship, you can also allow yourself some splurges as well and don't feel guilty about it !

Edited by angela12345

Thanks guys! All what I was thinking. I am going to stick with burrito bowls at lunch, high protein at breakfast and healthier options at dinner. I am not a big dessert person. Avoiding sugary alcohol drinks will be the biggest challenge!

Congratulations on your weight loss and healthy lifestyle!

I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and have managed to keep it off due to making it a lifestyle change. My weight fluctuates, but within a small range that I am comfortable with. The way I have kept it off, though, is by eating healthy, being active, and making smart eating decisions while never depriving myself. Also before vacations I cut my calories and drop a couple of pounds so it works itself out.

For the cruise I intend to behave the way I always do: drinking lots of water; staying active through walking (especially in port), taking the stairs, and hitting up the gym (definitely want to get in on a yoga class, too); and eating mindfully: leans proteins, veggies, and fruits are the primary with small amounts of breads, pastas, and desserts because yum.

As for the sugary alcoholic drinks...if you eat well, stay active, and hydrate, maybe just a couple extra pounds won't hurt?;) It IS vacation after all!

Used to gain 5 lbs per week on a cruise now only about 2.

At home walk 10000 steps a day on cruise goal is 15,000 and I do it

lots of salads and avoid fatty dressings. Grilled protein such as fish and chicken.

Most desserts look a lot better than they taste, only have a spoon or two.

the only bread with fiber they have is norlander so that is normally the only bread we will have on a cruise. Wish they had a higher fiber bread.

Edited by Micah's Grandad

I lost 10 pounds on my last 5 day Carnival cruise.

1. No bread or potatoes

2. Eggs for breakfast - no toast or Danish

3. Salad with some protein for lunch with a full fat dressing (helps to better absorb nutrients)

4. Shrimp cocktail, salad, meat, steamed vegetables for dinner

5. Fruit salad for dessert every night

Easy for me because I am gluten free and allergic to milk, yeast and chocolate.

I have learned that high fiber and walking helps when losing weight.

I have lost 3 lbs. on each of my last 2 cruises.

I have oatmeal with nuts and raisins for breakfast.

Sometimes I add some fruit and cottage cheese.

I have salads and stir fry or (depending on the ship) fish chowder or something like that for lunch. Once in a while I might even have a sandwich from the deli.

Then I eat what I want for dinner including dessert and a glass or wine or an after dinner drink.

Alcohol adds LOTS of empty calories so that is something to watch.

I make sure to walk up and down the steps instead of always taking the elevator.

Have a great cruise!