Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and four little ones

notentirelynormal

In 2017 I plan on doing a cruise with DH and my 4 grand kids which will then be 12, 10, 9 and 7. I want to give them the best experience I can but I am also not a millionaire so want to find things that are kid fun and not money unreasonable. That said, if there is an amazing thing we shouldn't miss I want to think about that as well.

It is not my first Alaska cruise by a long shot but it might be a while before we are back there again with the little ones. For example, mining a gold mine would be fun, historical and part of the learning experience. We don't need the salmon bake because we can always eat on board.

I'm giving some thoughts to "air" excursions but can't decide on which one would give me the best bang for the buck. Same goes for a water excursion. Which city and which overall excursion.

This cruise is a bunch of things. A trip to Alaska, a cruise, time to bond with cousins, fun to spend time with grandma and grandpa and if they learn something that is cool too. Parents or others not allowed.

I don't mind renting a car and driving if that is what gives us the best experience and price. I just need to know what to do when.

I'm gong to post the same thing on the Alaska board but wanted to see if there were family ideas that prevailed.

So, please, any ideas and thoughts are welcome. I am a planner and will research any advice given. Well, except for snorkeling.

A guidebook is what you need....before you start planning! Learn something about where you're going...and about what is there that all of you would enjoy! Libraries have guidebooks, if you don't want to buy one. Read one..then decide WHAT is important to see and do....we can help with the "how"!!!

We did Alaska with my 5 (at the time 14,12,10,5 and 2) and they loved Alaska. We didn't do anything special -- Mendenhall glacier was a hit with all of them. IN Ketchikan they all enjoyed our walk and poking in the stores (depending on when you go I'm sure a salmon run viewed on the boardwalk would be amazing! In Sitka we went to a forest park not far from the bus loop and went for a walk around the totem park and played on the rocky beach -- searched for crabs etc. In Skagway we did the train but found it too long for the 2 year old (he fell asleep in my arms despite being an avid train fan!) and although the older two were impressed at first by the views etc. they too found it a bit too long (the 10 and 5 year old opted to stay in the kids club for this port). Icy Point only the 12 and 2 year old came with us and we went for a short walk, visited the museum areas and then had a great time on the beach throwing rocks into the ocean. I should add that we live on a small island and are always at the beach when at home but the kids found visiting the Alaska beaches a lot of fun! All the kids loved Glacier Bay and were awed.

In addition to getting advice on this board let me also recommend posting this on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board. You will get a lot of terrific advice there.

When our own children were of the ages of your grandchildren we took them on a whale watching tour in Juneau which they enjoyed. In Ketchikan two two things they enjoyed were the totem poles and another one was salmon fishing. In one of the ports another one that children enjoy is the gold panning.

Keith

This tour would be great with kids (unfortunately kids under 5 can't participate). It is one of the crab boats from Deadliest Catch, and it goes into Native American waters where you are allowed to crab all year long. They pick up king crabs and let you pose for pictures. They also feed Bald Eagles, which swoop near your ship.

The tour is within walking distance of where the cruises dock, and there are employees along the way to give you directions. You will save money booking directly with them here:

http://alaskacrabtour.com

A guidebook is what you need....before you start planning! Learn something about where you're going...and about what is there that all of you would enjoy! Libraries have guidebooks, if you don't want to buy one. Read one..then decide WHAT is important to see and do....we can help with the "how"!!!

I've been to Alaska several times. I would love to be able to flight see or helicopter around but what I"m looking for is kid experiences that won't break the bank.

The lumberjack show is certainly in the price and fun range. So is the panning for gold.

I've been looking over things to do but was hoping to get first hand advise on what worked for kids.

Edited by notentirelynormal

We did Alaska with my 5 (at the time 14,12,10,5 and 2) and they loved Alaska. We didn't do anything special -- Mendenhall glacier was a hit with all of them. IN Ketchikan they all enjoyed our walk and poking in the stores (depending on when you go I'm sure a salmon run viewed on the boardwalk would be amazing! In Sitka we went to a forest park not far from the bus loop and went for a walk around the totem park and played on the rocky beach -- searched for crabs etc. In Skagway we did the train but found it too long for the 2 year old (he fell asleep in my arms despite being an avid train fan!) and although the older two were impressed at first by the views etc. they too found it a bit too long (the 10 and 5 year old opted to stay in the kids club for this port). Icy Point only the 12 and 2 year old came with us and we went for a short walk, visited the museum areas and then had a great time on the beach throwing rocks into the ocean. I should add that we live on a small island and are always at the beach when at home but the kids found visiting the Alaska beaches a lot of fun! All the kids loved Glacier Bay and were awed.

While my fantasy world would love to do really unusable things I'm thinking this is the type of thing we are going to end up doing so appreciate the suggestions.

In addition to getting advice on this board let me also recommend posting this on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board. You will get a lot of terrific advice there.

When our own children were of the ages of your grandchildren we took them on a whale watching tour in Juneau which they enjoyed. In Ketchikan two two things they enjoyed were the totem poles and another one was salmon fishing. In one of the ports another one that children enjoy is the gold panning.

Keith

Yes, Keith, I did ask this same question on the Alaska board. In this way I was hoping to get rounded answers from those with both experiences.

We did that itinerary in 2012 with kids who were 11, 9, 9, and 7 (my kids and my sisters' kids). Plus the parents/grandparents - 10 of us!

We did the lumberjack show in Ketchican. and the kids loved it.

We also did the Yukon railway in Skagway with a stop at Liarsville to pan for gold. They really liked that, talked for weeks before the cruise about how they were going to get rich! Being from Canada, they also liked going "home" for a few minutes on the train!

In Juneau, we went different ways - DH and I took our kids and did a whale watching tour and a hike to the glacier - saw some salmoon running too. My sister, parents and the other kids took a ride up the tram - they were watching their pennies a little more and didn't want to spend the money on the whale watching excursion.

The other activity we looked at was rappelling, or rope courses (I forget exactly) but the youngest was too young at 7 for that, and there was no way we were going to leave him out. Of all 4 kids, he'd be the most upset for being "too little" to do something, so we didn't even mention it as an activity.

All of our excursions were booked through the ship (NCL). But they could likely all be done by booking privately.

We did that itinerary in 2012 with kids who were 11, 9, 9, and 7 (my kids and my sisters' kids). Plus the parents/grandparents - 10 of us!

We did the lumberjack show in Ketchican. and the kids loved it.

We also did the Yukon railway in Skagway with a stop at Liarsville to pan for gold. They really liked that, talked for weeks before the cruise about how they were going to get rich! Being from Canada, they also liked going "home" for a few minutes on the train!

In Juneau, we went different ways - DH and I took our kids and did a whale watching tour and a hike to the glacier - saw some salmoon running too. My sister, parents and the other kids took a ride up the tram - they were watching their pennies a little more and didn't want to spend the money on the whale watching excursion.

The other activity we looked at was rappelling, or rope courses (I forget exactly) but the youngest was too young at 7 for that, and there was no way we were going to leave him out. Of all 4 kids, he'd be the most upset for being "too little" to do something, so we didn't even mention it as an activity.

All of our excursions were booked through the ship (NCL). But they could likely all be done by booking privately.

We did the lumberjack show years ago and it was fun so I will keep that on the radar. The railroad will also be something I investigate because panning for gold would be fun as well - and educational.

We did Alaska with a 2 year old mostly on our own. I recommend borrowing a guidebook on Alaska cruises from your library and using it to find free and cheap things at each port. The book I used had ideas for on your own walking tours that put what we were seeing into context.

In Skagway, we did the Liarsville excursion through the ship and then walked around town. There are free walking tours offered through the National Parks office, though you do need to get tickets since there's limited space on each tour. I personally recommend at least a half day excursion in Skagway because there is not enough to do in the port area without one.

In Juneau, I bought tickets for a private shuttle to Mendenhall glacier and we explored there on our own. I bought tickets ahead of time online, but there are kiosks right by the port and the shuttles run regularly. If you do the glacier, know that you cannot bring food there because of the bears so you'll want to go early enough to be finished by lunch time. My son loved the visitors center exhibits and we had a nice hike to the waterfall and back. There is a lot to do in the port area of Juneau as well, though we just wound up heading back to the ship for lunch and a nap.

In Ketchikan, we explored the port area. First we went to the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, which has exhibits on the local wildlife and native people. My son is very into animals and he enjoyed this stop, but your older grandkids might not be as into it. We grabbed some lunch before we explored Creek Street. Then we walked past all of the spawning salmon to the Totem Heritage Center. By this time, we were ready to head back to the ship for a rest, and there were still things we didn't get a chance to see.

In Skagway we rented a van (reserved ahead, I walked into town to pick it up, then came back to the ship to pick up the group) and drove to the suspension bridge. On the way were MANY places to stop and see waterfalls, amazing views, let the kids climb/play and we saw bears three times. I'm pretty sure that's also where we did a jetboat ride - TONS of fun + it was narrated and they saw and learned so much.

In Ketchikan, reserved a rental van, the rental place picked me up, then I returned for the group. We drove to the totem pole park - perfect place for kids to learn & play and climb and run. We stopped at another park on the way back that had a nice hiking trail, but the kids were having so much fun skipping stones into the beautiful lake, that's all we did.

Juneau - the tram to the glacier is reasonable and it's a nice walk to the water fall where the kids can then play, climb, run, etc.

Have a great time!

We did Alaska with a 2 year old mostly on our own. I recommend borrowing a guidebook on Alaska cruises from your library and using it to find free and cheap things at each port. The book I used had ideas for on your own walking tours that put what we were seeing into context.

In Skagway, we did the Liarsville excursion through the ship and then walked around town. There are free walking tours offered through the National Parks office, though you do need to get tickets since there's limited space on each tour. I personally recommend at least a half day excursion in Skagway because there is not enough to do in the port area without one.

In Juneau, I bought tickets for a private shuttle to Mendenhall glacier and we explored there on our own. I bought tickets ahead of time online, but there are kiosks right by the port and the shuttles run regularly. If you do the glacier, know that you cannot bring food there because of the bears so you'll want to go early enough to be finished by lunch time. My son loved the visitors center exhibits and we had a nice hike to the waterfall and back. There is a lot to do in the port area of Juneau as well, though we just wound up heading back to the ship for lunch and a nap.

In Ketchikan, we explored the port area. First we went to the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, which has exhibits on the local wildlife and native people. My son is very into animals and he enjoyed this stop, but your older grandkids might not be as into it. We grabbed some lunch before we explored Creek Street. Then we walked past all of the spawning salmon to the Totem Heritage Center. By this time, we were ready to head back to the ship for a rest, and there were still things we didn't get a chance to see.

I'll certainly keep these ideas in my head. Unfortunately it sounds like a lot of walking which neither my DH or I can do. A little bit, sure. I would need to use my scooter for a long distance.

Edited by notentirelynormal

In Skagway we rented a van (reserved ahead' date=' I walked into town to pick it up, then came back to the ship to pick up the group) and drove to the suspension bridge. On the way were MANY places to stop and see waterfalls, amazing views, let the kids climb/play and we saw bears three times. I'm pretty sure that's also where we did a jetboat ride - TONS of fun + it was narrated and they saw and learned so much.

In Ketchikan, reserved a rental van, the rental place picked me up, then I returned for the group. We drove to the totem pole park - perfect place for kids to learn & play and climb and run. We stopped at another park on the way back that had a nice hiking trail, but the kids were having so much fun skipping stones into the beautiful lake, that's all we did.

Juneau - the tram to the glacier is reasonable and it's a nice walk to the water fall where the kids can then play, climb, run, etc.

Have a great time![/quote']

KG: It does sound from my research that a van rental might be just what we need/want. I have already considered this. I want the kids to see and enjoy Alaska and if they learn something along the way that is great too. It would be cool for them to be studying Alaska at school and be able to say "been there, done that". I was also thinking about panning for gold.

What suspension are you referring to? Who did you use for the jet boat? I know you plan kid friendly so I do appreciate your advice.

In Ketchikan do you have any idea what that park might have been?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am a planner so I will look into every suggestion I am given. Seventeen months to go and I am already getting my ducks in a row. Cruise is booked. I got the cabins I wanted - a mini suite and a handicap cabin. Parking in San Francisco is booked. Someone gave a link to cheap parking and it was fair enough. Only $25 a night close to the pier.

Checking in to hotels and flight options. I can't book them yet of course but I can figure out which hotel works best and check out the flights to see what my options would be. Of course I know these flights won't be the same but it will give me a plan to work with. Finding a hotel that sleeps 2 adults and 4 kids will also be a challenge.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions that I would second - whale watching, glaciers, lumberjack show. We did a tour in Ketchikan through the ship that included riding in jeeps through local protected lands and taking a canoe across a small lake. Then we had a "camp lunch" (more like a snack) before paddling back. It was really cool with a lot of local flavor. As long as you could get in and out of the boat, you wouldn't need to paddle and there wasn't much walking. Not sure if this tour still exists but I thought it would be fun for everyone.

Also in Juneau we took the gondola up the side of the hill for really great views. Maybe that's as good as an aerial adventure without breaking the bank.

Have fun! I'm sure your grandkids will just enjoy being with you on such a fun adventure.

Klondike National Historic Park is in downtown Skagway. They don't tell you but you can walk to this and it is free. Get on a ranger guided tour and go to the museum. There is also a place that lets kids dress up in old time gear (part of the National Park), but I think it was in a different building. You need to check the Klondike park website for more information. I was with a 7 year old last year, and we did not too expensive stuff. Then we ate lunch at the Red Onion Saloon (get there early). In the afternoon we did some sort of trolley tour of the city, which we really enjoyed. They have costumed tour guides and talk about a famous local Soapy Smith and they do a good job of a little theatrical performance (in the graveyard). I think the trolley tour was thru the cruise ship, but a year later, I can't remember.

Juneau. With 6 people, you really want to rent a large SUV or van and drive to the places you want to get to. We rented a car and went to Mendenhall Glacier, did a little hiking. We saw Salmon running in downtown Juneau. We drove out to Eagle River and looked around and also drove to Shrine of St. Theresa. We got back to our ship just in time. There is lots to do and if you rent a car, you can get to it pretty easily. Of the 3 stops, Juneau was my favorite. We stopped at a local grocery store and got food for a picnic on our day. There was so much to do, no time to stop at a restaurant and eat.

We saw the Lumberjack show in Ketchican, walked around town, shopped and took the tram ride up to the top of the hill. I think all those things is enough for your crowd and pretty good price if you are paying for 6.

We were planning on doing a scenic airplane tour in Canada (Whistler) on the last day of vacation, but the weather did not cooperate. With the exchange rate, it is much cheaper to do a airplane scenic tour in Canada, if you are using US exchange rate.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions that I would second - whale watching, glaciers, lumberjack show. We did a tour in Ketchikan through the ship that included riding in jeeps through local protected lands and taking a canoe across a small lake. Then we had a "camp lunch" (more like a snack) before paddling back. It was really cool with a lot of local flavor. As long as you could get in and out of the boat, you wouldn't need to paddle and there wasn't much walking. Not sure if this tour still exists but I thought it would be fun for everyone.

Also in Juneau we took the gondola up the side of the hill for really great views. Maybe that's as good as an aerial adventure without breaking the bank.

Have fun! I'm sure your grandkids will just enjoy being with you on such a fun adventure.

Wow. The jeep thing sounds cool for the kids. I will definitely look into that.

Klondike National Historic Park is in downtown Skagway. They don't tell you but you can walk to this and it is free. Get on a ranger guided tour and go to the museum. There is also a place that lets kids dress up in old time gear (part of the National Park), but I think it was in a different building. You need to check the Klondike park website for more information. I was with a 7 year old last year, and we did not too expensive stuff. Then we ate lunch at the Red Onion Saloon (get there early). In the afternoon we did some sort of trolley tour of the city, which we really enjoyed. They have costumed tour guides and talk about a famous local Soapy Smith and they do a good job of a little theatrical performance (in the graveyard). I think the trolley tour was thru the cruise ship, but a year later, I can't remember.

Gosh, there is just SO much to choose from in these cities. It is good to know I really won't have to break the bank (well any more than I already have). This, too, sounds like a cool idea that I will definitely check out. DH is old so he can get a free admission for life to the National Parks entrance too.

Juneau. With 6 people, you really want to rent a large SUV or van and drive to the places you want to get to. We rented a car and went to Mendenhall Glacier, did a little hiking. We saw Salmon running in downtown Juneau. We drove out to Eagle River and looked around and also drove to Shrine of St. Theresa. We got back to our ship just in time. There is lots to do and if you rent a car, you can get to it pretty easily. Of the 3 stops, Juneau was my favorite. We stopped at a local grocery store and got food for a picnic on our day. There was so much to do, no time to stop at a restaurant and eat.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that a car rental is the way to go here. I really want them to walk on the Mendenhall Glacier. That would be a very special memory for them even if the youngest is too young to remember. There are always photos.

We saw the Lumberjack show in Ketchican, walked around town, shopped and took the tram ride up to the top of the hill. I think all those things is enough for your crowd and pretty good price if you are paying for 6.

The Lumberjack show is moving higher up my list. I still want to do some water or air thing in one of the cities though. I'm saving my dollars.

We were planning on doing a scenic airplane tour in Canada (Whistler) on the last day of vacation, but the weather did not cooperate. With the exchange rate, it is much cheaper to do a airplane scenic tour in Canada, if you are using US exchange rate.

I can honestly say I've never thought about doing a scenic tour in Vancouver. Maybe because I grew up there LOL. We aren't going to Vancouver this trip though. We do stop in Victoria though.

I'll certainly keep these ideas in my head. Unfortunately it sounds like a lot of walking which neither my DH or I can do. A little bit, sure. I would need to use my scooter for a long distance.

As far as walking, Skagway is actually really compact and I don't recall there being issues with scooter accessibility. We pushed my son in a stroller there with no problems, which I why I think a scooter would be fine. The smallness of the place is actually why I think a tour is a good idea. You could easily see all of Skagway in a short time even with lots of breaks and/or use of your scooter.

If you are interested in Mendenhall Glacier, the walk from where the shuttle drops you to the glacier viewing area is not a long one. You can definitely see the glacier and visitor center without hiking anywhere.

Ketchikan is a little harder because some of the older areas didn't see that scooter accessible to me. There may well be accessible means of accessing everything, but often the quickest and most direct route was stairs.

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions. I really do appreciate them. I am a planner. Things get in my head and they go round and round and round. While I am open to "spur of the moment" things, those spurs have to be planned for in advance. :D

Take parking at the pier. I will figure out which place offers me the best deal and safety and every other detail I need to figure out. I will consider parking the night before regarding the hotel. It will go into my spread sheet. The voucher/confirmation will be in my folder. In order. With pictures. I might have some control issues LOL.

That is why I really appreciate every one's comments. I roll them around and that way I can figure out what will work best AND things to do that I would never had heard of. Like the suspension bridge.

I love CC. Where else can I get up close and personal information such as the last comment about walking. Reading other website is fine but here on CC, they have been there, done that.

In fact, I'm getting so many comments I'm going to have to start another spread sheet with all the suggestions for each port. I'm sick, very very sick.

If you do the drive in Skagway, there's a guide you can buy, pretty sure it's called Murray's Guide. Costs around $5, you download and print it and then it gives you info on different mile markers along the way (what you're looking at and the lots of really interesting history).

Also, I'm sure you know, but if you'll have your grandkids without their parents, make sure you have the notarized permission and everyone's passports with you when you do the drive. We were stopped at the border and the officer was very thorough in making sure we had all the required proof that I was allowed to cross the border with my kids.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

If you do the drive in Skagway' date=' there's a guide you can buy, pretty sure it's called Murray's Guide. Costs around $5, you download and print it and then it gives you info on different mile markers along the way (what you're looking at and the lots of really interesting history).

Also, I'm sure you know, but if you'll have your grandkids without their parents, make sure you have the notarized permission and everyone's passports with you when you do the drive. We were stopped at the border and the officer was very thorough in making sure we had all the required proof that I was allowed to cross the border with my kids.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks. Okay, guide book bought. The drive is sounding better and better. My husband will love the cheap price too. Of course I'll downplay any amounts spent. :D Someone suggested a picnic. Of course, now I can find restaurants.

I for sure will have the permission letter. My DD will have a 2 inch pile of papers giving me permission to take them and do whatever I want with them and to them. Just as long as I take them. My DS will have a single piece of paper that says the same. LOL. I have emphasized many times since the day they were born that passports need to be in hand in case I want to take them somewhere. The earliest we got one was for the 9 YO DGD who needed to have it for our Australia cruise. Back then the age was 6 months. She made it by a hair.

Do you remember who you did the water ride with?

I just looked up the boat ride - it was with Ocean Raft Alaska in Skagway. Pricey, but one of the highlights of our cruise. Tons of fun and they show you so much. Since we wanted to to the drive in Skagway and then do this ride with plenty of time to get back on the ship, Ocean Raft created a new tour time for us, so let them know your plans and they make work out a time for you.

A picnic for Skagway is a good idea. Once we left the town, we didn't come across anyplace else to eat, but we had snacks for the car. The suspension bridge has a small snack shop - I don't remember what the offerings were. The kids didn't want to go any farther (we had considered Emerald Lake), so the driving was just enough and then we got back for our fun boat ride.

Best,

Mia

I just looked up the boat ride - it was with Ocean Raft Alaska in Skagway. Pricey' date=' but one of the highlights of our cruise. Tons of fun and they show you so much. Since we wanted to to the drive in Skagway and then do this ride with plenty of time to get back on the ship, Ocean Raft created a new tour time for us, so let them know your plans and they make work out a time for you.

A picnic for Skagway is a good idea. Once we left the town, we didn't come across anyplace else to eat, but we had snacks for the car. The suspension bridge has a small snack shop - I don't remember what the offerings were. The kids didn't want to go any farther (we had considered Emerald Lake), so the driving was just enough and then we got back for our fun boat ride.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

According to their website they don't take kids under ten. When you did your private tour, how old were your girls. Mine will be 6, 8, 10, 12.