What's the point of "Select Fare" vs "Early Saver" rant!

pomcruise

For both our bookings where we have been given a guarantee cabin we booked by phone with P and O. I asked for a particular category and was told they could only offer it at guarantee but at the select price.

For both our bookings where we have been given a guarantee cabin we booked by phone with P and O. I asked for a particular category and was told they could only offer it at guarantee but at the select price.

Thank you Scriv, I may just try wandering into unchartered territory for our next booking.

And I also did a dummy booking to the point of availability of cabins and it states only guarantee cabins available in that grade now. The next grade up is now showing at the price I paid.I paid the Select Price.

Edited by Scriv

If you do a dummy booking on the internet with some cruise lines there is a point where you have to say (i) I want to chose my own cabin, or (ii) Please chose a cabin for me. On the P&O website this occurs in a place which is after you need to disclose the names of the passengers travelling. In this respect it is harder in most people's minds to find the answers you want without seemingly over committing yourself to an actual booking. On Princess they disclose early on that you cannot chose a cabin because it is reserved for "Guarantee Only" bookings quite explicitly and you can actually find this out before disclosing any passenger details. Browsing actual specific cabins is possible more easily. I must stress that any cabins offered on any cruise line website are not going to be the full range as the line does not want to disclose how good/bad sales are going. Whenever you look at a range of say outside cabins; TA TB TC TD TE then the cheapest TE is often reserved for guarantee bookings only. This can be frustrating because the TE grades are exactly where I want them on the ship, my deck exactly what I want and I will pay top dollar to get one. Unfortunately I cant because they are reserved for guarantee booking only. I am normally miffed regarding deluxe Balconies with mine on guarantee, this point is probably in the region of Scrivs problem. If I do a guarantee booking I will likely be upgraded into a bad position. Conversely on these cabin grades, if they allowed guarantee bookings on the TA grade outside cabin (n.b. I have just made up grades) anyone booking a TA outside will have to be upgraded to a Balcony. So they minimise their liability of upgrading to the next cabin TYPE by putting the "Guarantees" to the bottom of each grade run.

If you want to find out which P&O cabins are "Guarantee Only" bookings you need to do a dummy booking but give names etc. but it can be done.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Just for info I do dummy bookings all the time checking prices and availability. I never put my name in, I just put one random letter in each of the name boxes - saves lots of time!

Edited by Florry

John on the dummy bookings I never ever enter our real names, or loyalty number.

When we get to the point we want to actually book I always contact them direct. (may try going via a TA next time as well-all different for me).

Thank you for your detailed explanations..and they are simple enough for me to understand!!!

Because we need an accessible cabin we need to book very early, generally on launch, and of course we have to book a select fare.

Obviously we study the new itineraries and fares and eventually find a cruise we fancy at a price that looks OK, then we just have to accept that late saver passengers will get a far better deal than us.

However I do despair of P&O's practise of allocating higher cabin grades to saver passengers, whilst there are select passengers paying far more for a lower grade cabin. Why can't they give upgrades to select passengers and then allocate the remaining cabins to saver payers, would not work for us but it would indicate that P&O were trying to be fair to their loyal select passengers.

It is Interesting to note that as part of their 2017 launch offer, RCI are giving UK passengers a guarantee that if they offer a lower price down the line you can change to the new offer. This will be a once off deal, and you will have to change to the full terms of the new offer.

Actually their launch prices are so good I doubt we will need to take them up on this offer.

Because we need an accessible cabin we need to book very early, generally on launch, and of course we have to book a select fare.

Obviously we study the new itineraries and fares and eventually find a cruise we fancy at a price that looks OK, then we just have to accept that late saver passengers will get a far better deal than us.

However I do despair of P&O's practise of allocating higher cabin grades to saver passengers, whilst there are select passengers paying far more for a lower grade cabin. Why can't they give upgrades to select passengers and then allocate the remaining cabins to saver payers, would not work for us but it would indicate that P&O were trying to be fair to their loyal select passengers.

It is Interesting to note that as part of their 2017 launch offer, RCI are giving UK passengers a guarantee that if they offer a lower price down the line you can change to the new offer. This will be a once off deal, and you will have to change to the full terms of the new offer.

Actually their launch prices are so good I doubt we will need to take them up on this offer.

Terrier John I do feel single cruisers and people requiring accessible cabins do get the worst deal of the lot. As you say you have to book when they first open, to get the cabin required, and at select prices.

As far as I'm aware saver fares only get put up within what they paid for, so fore/aft inside to a midships inside, rather than inside to out. I may be wrong. If a cruise is not selling well at all I guess it could happen.

Early savers, well they may go from one grade to the next, but as from my bit earlier I don't agree with it.. (don't tell me we agree on something!!!)

Swings and roundabouts. I bought a cruise for this August that cost me £3950 Select fare. If I wanted the same now it would cost me £5950.

Out of interest is this for the same cabin grade on the sam cruise or is it the same cruise but a higher cabin grade as your cabin grade is fully sold out.

Neil

Hi all - interesting thread. We're on our first cruise in May (very excited) and booked Early Saver through a cruise TA last August. I'm a bit embarrassed now to say we naively booked what was advised without the sensible research that you good people have done. We have a guarantee grade of EA (deluxe balcony). I thought that this means we can only be moved to a higher grade which would be a mini suite? Have I now got this completely wrong??

By the way we are 'cup half full' sort of people so I'm not too worried about price drops but I'm curious as to where else we could be 'upgraded'.

Love all the helpful advice on CC too.

Hi all - interesting thread. We're on our first cruise in May (very excited) and booked Early Saver through a cruise TA last August. I'm a bit embarrassed now to say we naively booked what was advised without the sensible research that you good people have done. We have a guarantee grade of EA (deluxe balcony). I thought that this means we can only be moved to a higher grade which would be a mini suite? Have I now got this completely wrong??

By the way we are 'cup half full' sort of people so I'm not too worried about price drops but I'm curious as to where else we could be 'upgraded'.

I would guess you must be on Arcadia (one of our favourites). The cabin is a fore (front of) deluxe balcony. There is the change you could end up with a mid ships deluxe balcony . This would be considered an upgrade by P and O as midships is considered a better position by them (less movement).

Ofcourse you may be lucky.

Usually an upgrade from one type to another as you have suggested would only work if you had booked a midships in the first place. As they say location location location.

I do hope you have a lovely cruise, wherever you end up. We think she is lovely and have been on her 3/4 times so far.

You are right....If you booked a Guarantee grade EA deluxe balcony then that is the minimum grade of cabin....and the only upgrade you could get is to Mini suite or suite.

But with an early saver fare, in theory you are only second priority for upgrades, so in theory, someone who booked a select EA grade should be offered the uphrade before it is given to you. It would be really interesting to hear if you do get that lovley upgrade to mini suite....as that would likely suggest P & O are not sticking to their own rules! Unless of course everyone in EA select ticked the "no upgrade " box!

Whichever cabin you end up in, have a lovely time.....and be prepared to get hooked!

I would guess you must be on Arcadia (one of our favourites). The cabin is a fore (front of) deluxe balcony. There is the change you could end up with a mid ships deluxe balcony . This would be considered an upgrade by P and O as midships is considered a better position by them (less movement).

Ofcourse you may be lucky.

Usually an upgrade from one type to another as you have suggested would only work if you had booked a midships in the first place. As they say location location location.

I do hope you have a lovely cruise, wherever you end up. We think she is lovely and have been on her 3/4 times so far.

Paula66 is going on Aurora......:)

Absolutely right MM! We are on Aurora (you all know the ships so well!). I wasn't sure about sea sickness so we went with a mid ship cabin. I totally agree with previous comments and think that if we were upgraded it should be after select customers had been offered it. I'm only wondering about where else they could put us.

Anyhoo, I'll let you know if an Early Saver ever does lead to a call from 'the upgrade fairy'.

EL....

Following your earlier request re guarantee cabins, Ive been re reading some of your posts, and as I know you normally book select fares, i am wondering if you are not fully au fait with the Early saver fares and ( ordinary or late) Saver fares. Forgive me if I am wrong and am teaching granny to suck eggs....no intention of insulting your intelligence!

With Early Saver fares, you can book a specific grade of cabin. So, for example on Arcadia, you could book an EA grade balcony on an early saver and PandO will allocate the actual cabin later? This is the top balcony grade, and they are midships on 2 decks. So, the minimum cabin grade you will get is a EA grade. but they could upgrade you to a mini or full suite.

On a saver fare, you would book a guarantee Balcony cabin ie a cabin type...not a grade. So on Arcadia you could be allocated anything from an EF to an EA grade....but i believe this would be sold as a guarantee EF grade. So a lot of folk when they get their cabin and find it is a (eg) EC grade....they think they have been upgraded. Actually they haven't. They have got what they paid for...a balcony cabin.

So.....you could get your mini suite on Arcadia on an Early saver fare and you could choose which grade of mini suite - if you didn't want to risk getting that that one on Sun deck, you could choose a CB grade rather than the CE grade, knowing that that is the minimum you will get.

But as you and I know, suites and mini suites never seem to appear on a (late) saver fare, so you would have to grab an early saver fare when and if they become available.

Phew.....hope that helps.

Happy Cruising!

Thanks MM , I have said to OH we may have to think out of the box for 2017's one (2016 is way too expensive to do any more this year)

We actually love that mini suite on Arcadia. I think we are probably the only ones who do.

I think we were the 2nd people in it after the world cruise. The size is ginormous..We also never lost it..find the crows nest and there it was..

Only slight worry now is that we have recently gone for table for 2 2nd sitting (would not say OH is antisocial but!!!!)which I know we could request as an early saver ,but may end up on a bigger table. Mind you if its the difference between cruising and not cruising...

We shall see. Thank you

Hi EL ....I wouldnt mind that mini suite on Arcadia at all.....except that it only has a shower. Im afraid I do like my bath....Can manage without for a very short cruise but not for a week or more!

Just out of interest, how does it compare size wise with the "normal" mini suites on Arcadia? We thought those were pretty big and the balconies are a bit deeper than that one.

We picked our bargain price up on Black Friday weekend......not that they changed for the Early saver fares afterwards!

Hi EL ....I wouldnt mind that mini suite on Arcadia at all.....except that it only has a shower. Im afraid I do like my bath....Can manage without for a very short cruise but not for a week or more!

Just out of interest, how does it compare size wise with the "normal" mini suites on Arcadia? We thought those were pretty big and the balconies are a bit deeper than that one.

We picked our bargain price up on Black Friday weekend......not that they changed for the Early saver fares afterwards!

Yes it does only have a shower, but its one of those with water coming out of lots of places!!! it is huge, all glass walls and walk in. I love my bath ,but the size of the rest of the cabin meant I would give up my bath.

How does the cabin size compare with normal mini suites. In a normal mini suite at the end of the bed you may have 1foot to the end of the bathroom wall by the side of the bed (if you get my drift). In S2 you have a good 2-3 feet. If you are sat on the sofa you have a dance floor in front of you before reaching the beds. I would say suite size, but at mini suite price (never been in a real suite)

Down side, the balcony is long and fairly narrow, and hangs out from the ship. I have no head for heights ,but strangely did not mind it. Its also a tad windy out there when under way, as nothing to really block the wind..Not overlooked either, we checked from the sun deck above. We had a large table out there, 2 loungers, 2 chairs, small table...not as deep, with with OH at one end and me at the other!!!!

Well I've just read this complete thread and I think I'm more confused that before hand. I booked our first P and O cruise some months ago departing in August. We are taking our 8 year old grandson and our requirement was an outside cabin with an unobstructed view. I must have booked a select fare because we got £80 OBC, a cabin number assigned and also confirmed freedom dining.

So does this mean that if there are any upgrades going as I have a select fare (I think) we have higher priority to receive one?

Booked RCI,NCL,Celebrity and Thomson in the past where you just book it at the price on the day and get whatever perks are on offer with the price and that's that.

I don't usually return and check the price again as I feel that I booked it at a price I was happy with otherwise I wouldn't have booked it. However after reading all this I have returned to the P and O website to find that if I booked today it would cost me £130 pp more per person for our August cruise as a Select passenger , it also appears to be cheaper than today's "unselect" fare. So I think I have a bargain.

Also can anybody out there tell me what P and O charge for an unlimited WIFI package on a 7 Night cruise please.

Thanks

Yes it does sound as though you booked a select fare. As long as the no upgrade box was not tick, you may be in with a chance with the upgrade fairy..if she appears.

We never purchase an internet package, as although the ships are wi fi enabled the internet is very vey slow, and expensive. It will give charges and special offers IE free minutes in the horizon. Not sure they actually do an unlimited WiFi package

Much cheaper to find free Wi-Fi once ashore.

Yes once you have booked it always good idea not to look again, especially close to sail date, when they bring in saver fares, but they have different t and c's.

Yes it does sound as though you booked a select fare. As long as the no upgrade box was not tick, you may be in with a chance with the upgrade fairy..if she appears.

We never purchase an internet package, as although the ships are wi fi enabled the internet is very vey slow, and expensive. It will give charges and special offers IE free minutes in the horizon. Not sure they actually do an unlimited WiFi package

Much cheaper to find free Wi-Fi once ashore.

Yes once you have booked it always good idea not to look again, especially close to sail date, when they bring in saver fares, but they have different t and c's.

Thanks for that, I will keep my fingers crossed for an upgrade and thanks for the wifi info. We don't usually buy wifi on board any cruise just make do in port , but we thought that we would look into it this time so our grandson can keep in touch with his parents. Having said that once he's on board and his Nan and I are spoiling him into oblivion he probably won't give them another thought.

Edited by glynandkath

Out of interest is this for the same cabin grade on the sam cruise or is it the same cruise but a higher cabin grade as your cabin grade is fully sold out.

Neil

Hi Neil. Sorry for the delay in getting back. The price was for exactly the same grade cabin on the same cruise.