Hospital Birth Certificate

Toliverair

Actually, they would accept it from a gov agency but not from an individual unless it's clearly marked an original. And someone else mentioned that it has to have a raised seal - they do not. Most states aren't using raised seals anymore.

A copy is a copy is a copy and it doesn't matter who provides it. Most of the cases where I've read of the BC being faxed it was being faxed from family members at home to the port. (I have also presented a photocopy of my BC at check in with no questions from terminal security or the check in person before the cruise or from CBP after the cruise.)

i found it interesting NCL says 'original' for 2 forms of ID but did not say orginal for the birth certificate. i'd assume this was a carefully worded list.

or maybe not? but i'd infer copies are ok by default per their own language

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

Has any one ever had any luck getting on board a Norwegian ship with a hospital birth certificate? I know the NCL site says they are not acceptable, but we have just discovered someone in our party has one. Our ship leaves Saturday, we are in transit to Florida now. The state of birth is Kansas. Does anyone know if there is anyway to get a same day Kansas birth certificate and have it shipped overnight? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you haven't already contacted today the KS vital statistics office and asked them to fax or email you a copy of the birth certificate, then you'd better hope you get a port person at check-in who doesn't know the difference between official birth certificate and hospital certificate of birth.

My fingers are crossed for the person with the hospital certificate.

The DHS regulations make no reference at all to certified copy and "copy" means just that and since many states issue birth certificates without raised seals that is also is not a requirement.

Here are the regulations:

"When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate..."

There is only ONE ever ORIGINAL birth certificate for anyone. Any certificate generated later, even by the state, is a copy.

i found it interesting NCL says 'original' for 2 forms of ID but did not say orginal for the birth certificate. i'd assume this was a carefully worded list.

or maybe not? but i'd infer copies are ok by default per their own language

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

Very few people actually have their original birth certificate. Most of us have a copy that we got from vital statistics. Remember there is only ONE original birth certificate which is issued at/near birth. Anything after that is a copy or a reissue.

There is only ONE ever ORIGINAL birth certificate for anyone. Any certificate generated later, even by the state, is a copy.

Yes there is only one and no one ever gets it, it stays on file with the state. So how can the regulations allow something no one can get? Because they use terms the way most people use them- most people consider the document that they receive from the state with the pretty colors and watermarks and seals as their original. Put that on a photocopy machine and you get a copy.

A couple of years ago someone in our group tried to board with the hospital issued birth record and was denied boarding.

A while back someone had posted who was in the same situation. They used a courier service, and I think it was through Delta Airline, and received the birth certificate in time. If I'm thinking correctly it was under $100.

A while back someone had posted who was in the same situation. They used a courier service, and I think it was through Delta Airline, and received the birth certificate in time. If I'm thinking correctly it was under $100.

In that case it was a matter of calling a friend to retrieve an existing passport from their house and send it via Delta Dash.

Such an option doesn't appear to be possible in this case. In order to obtain a copy of a birth certificate as a walk-in, the person on the certificate needs to be there.

http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/birth_howto_walkin.html

Edited by triptolemus

I have good news to report! We have a birth certificate on the way via overnight delivery to Miami. I am not able to convey the thankfulness that we feel towards each of you for your valuable information. And to all of you that wished us luck and said a prayer, you're the real MVP! [emoji6]

We were able to call the department of vital records in Topeka, KS, and they were extremely kind and helpful. They allowed us to order it over the phone. We faxed a copy of the driver's license, the hotel reservation (in the individual's name) for tonight in Miami, and important personal info to their office.

10 phone calls, several toxic anxiety pills, and $59.25 later we have an official birth certificate on the way. Now if UPS will come through for us, she can stop taking all of these high powered meds and we can enjoy an incredible week in the Caribbean!

Since we don't actually have the certificate in hand yet, (although we have a tracking number and it is in Louisville at this moment) I hesitate to share this, but it is too funny not to.

ImageUploadedByForums1457767824.664310.jpg.1df4b4a4ac433c4a59dc7a34d4f77667.jpg

This was what she was planning to board the ship with. [emoji23]

Kansas rocks!!! Cruise critic rocks!!! I'll let you know tomorrow if UPS rocks!

Happy, Stressful-free travels, friends.

Edited by Toliverair

I have good news to report! We have a birth certificate on the way via overnight delivery to Miami. I am not able to convey the thankfulness that we feel towards each of you for your valuable information. And to all of you that wished us luck and said a prayer, you're the real MVP! [emoji6]

We were able to call the department of vital records in Topeka, KS, and they were extremely kind and helpful. They allowed us to order it over the phone. We faxed a copy of the driver's license, the hotel reservation (in the individual's name) for tonight in Miami, and important personal info to their office.

10 phone calls, several toxic anxiety pills, and $59.25 later we have an official birth certificate on the way. Now if UPS will come through for us, she can stop taking all of these high powered meds and we can enjoy an incredible week in the Caribbean!

Since we don't actually have the certificate in hand yet, (although we have a tracking number and it is in Louisville at this moment) I hesitate to share this, but it is too funny not to.

[ATTACH]379360[/ATTACH]

One couldn't ask for a better outcome! Enjoy your cruise! (And you'd better not come back and tell us that UPS dropped the ball and delivered late, nope, you had just better not!:eek::)).

[ATTACH]379360[/ATTACH]

Wonderful news.

Thanks for sharing. We've been following, and are so pleased it worked out.

Those UPS or FedEx tracking numbers are one of the best things since Xanax :D

Assuming there's no blizzard (!) or other dreadful weather delays, your friend should be fine.

Hope you all have a terrific cruise!

[ATTACH]379360[/ATTACH]

Great news, and I hope UPS comes through for you, but if in fact a faxed copy would be acceptable by NCL, why would you not ask the agency to simply fax the birth certificate to you at the hotel? You would have had that in hand yesterday. I would have done that for back up even if requesting that the "original" be overnighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I failed to update you guys. We had the package by 9am at the hotel, so UPS came through! [emoji4] We had an incredible cruise. Everything was perfect with the exception of missing Nassau because of a medical emergency. I heard someone one board had a heart attack and we had to go out of the way to meet the helicopter, so we didn't get to go to Nassau. I enjoyed the cruise so much that I booked the same itinerary with my husband (no birth certificate issues with him) ;) on April 16! The food and thermal suite are exceptional on the Escape. The staff was terrific. Much better than I expected since I had heard otherwise. Y'all, everything you hear isn't true. lol

Punkincc, you are correct. I was so overjoyed to get the bc overnight, that it never crossed my mind to ask for a faxed copy. We thought about it after hours, but it was too late by then. That is exactly what we should have done in case the overnight package did not arrive.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I hope I never have that situation happen again.

Happy Cruisin' [emoji170]

Sorry I failed to update you guys. We had the package by 9am at the hotel, so UPS came through! [emoji4] We had an incredible cruise. Everything was perfect with the exception of missing Nassau because of a medical emergency. I heard someone one board had a heart attack and we had to go out of the way to meet the helicopter, so we didn't get to go to Nassau. I enjoyed the cruise so much that I booked the same itinerary with my husband (no birth certificate issues with him) ;) on April 16! The food and thermal suite are exceptional on the Escape. The staff was terrific. Much better than I expected since I had heard otherwise. Y'all, everything you hear isn't true. lol

Punkincc, you are correct. I was so overjoyed to get the bc overnight, that it never crossed my mind to ask for a faxed copy. We thought about it after hours, but it was too late by then. That is exactly what we should have done in case the overnight package did not arrive.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I hope I never have that situation happen again.

Happy Cruisin' [emoji170]

Thanks for the update and glad you had a great time!