'The Cruise' TV programme

tom_uk

Has anyone been watching The Cruise on TV? (ITV, Thurs.) I can't help thinking that Royal Princess looks a lot glitzier than Britannia.

As ever with these programmes, they've fixed on a small number of 'interesting' people, but there are some genuinely interesting bits in-between. Last night's programme covered the sail-in to Stockholm through the archipelago, and it did look beautiful and impressive. I remember sailing out on Azura in 2014, and it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

I have been watching it - and will continue to do so.

I cant compare it with Britannia as I havent been on her, but i find the programme a bit "thin" on content? Apart from the sail in to Stockholm which i agree is so beautiful.

It will be interesting to see where they are going next week!

Has anyone been watching The Cruise on TV? (ITV, Thurs.) I can't help thinking that Royal Princess looks a lot glitzier than Britannia.

As ever with these programmes, they've fixed on a small number of 'interesting' people, but there are some genuinely interesting bits in-between. Last night's programme covered the sail-in to Stockholm through the archipelago, and it did look beautiful and impressive. I remember sailing out on Azura in 2014, and it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Tom, is this not just the difference between British cruising and cruising for Americans. All British ships are far more mooted in colours and design. The only different one being Oceana which came directly from Princess. If we go back 80 years we could see the difference between Queen Mary and the French Normandy. British lines have never gone in for the loud and maybe over the top design of American lines.

For American Lines think Vagas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tom, is this not just the difference between British cruising and cruising for Americans. All British ships are far more mooted in colours and design. The only different one being Oceana which came directly from Princess. If we go back 80 years we could see the difference between Queen Mary and the French Normandy. British lines have never gone in for the loud and maybe over the top design of American lines.

I expect it is, Dai. But from what I've seen, both in this programme and in images by people who have been on Royal Princess, I don't think the decor on that ship is too over-the-top - not a Farcus job, for example. Although I haven't yet cruised on Britannia (roll on the end of May!) I have visited her, and I could't help thinking that the palette on her was *very* muted - perhaps too much so.

Also Britannia doesn't have the SkyWalk and other exterior features that are on Royal & Regal Princesses.

Think that the Regal Princess looks very nice to be honest - very different from Britannia but variety is the spice of life (and cruising!)

Really enjoying the programme as it reminds us of our cruise holidays and anything that lets us escape to a ship for 30 minutes is good to me ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Definitely Royal and Princess like lots of shiny brass and gold however Celebrity is more subdued, like a modern 5 star hotel.

I liked the modern decor on Britannia but agree Princess is more impressive and the atrium is unrecognisable and definitely has a wow factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely Royal and Princess like lots of shiny brass and gold however Celebrity is more subdued, like a modern 5 star hotel.

I liked the modern decor on Britannia but agree Princess is more impressive and the atrium is unrecognisable and definitely has a wow factor.

Love the Celebrity Silhouette, but, even with that tree in the middle of the lift area the atrium still doesn't beat the much older Oceana. Love her atrium - it never fails to impress us.... (Princess inspired I think) ;)

I think Royal Princess is a lot more glitzy or perhaps you might say razzamatazz but this is not the sort of thing to suit traditional P&O cruisers. Britannia is a well mooted design specifically aimed at the British market and I understand the complete overall design package was created by a single company who had absolutely no previous cruise ship design experience to create the effect.

I think a major design difference to me is the number of funnels strangely, what's that about?

Regards John

I think Royal Princess is a lot more glitzy or perhaps you might say razzamatazz but this is not the sort of thing to suit traditional P&O cruisers. Britannia is a well mooted design specifically aimed at the British market and I understand the complete overall design package was created by a single company who had absolutely no previous cruise ship design experience to create the effect.

I think a major design difference to me is the number of funnels strangely, what's that about?

Regards John

I suppose we like all of the different designs :-) Must admit, the one we didn't like the RCI Promenade design at all.

Funnels? Not noticed that one but will now have a good look:)

Just watched the second episode. Still amazed how different she looks to Britannia. However the editing is terrible, no sooner than passengers got off for trips in Stockholm than they cut to the evening show. Interestingly episode 3 is turnaround day so does that mean no filming in St Petersberg?