Guaranteed v Cabin Pick, worth $500 difference?

imdamama

My hubby and I are cruising RC Explorer of the Sea in Alaska. We have a Balcony cabin guarantee. It would have cost us $500 to select the cabin.

That's A LOT of money, but an obstructed view isn't any better than an inside cabin.

Any opinions on if you'd pay the $ for the cabin pick?

Thanks in advance!

My hubby and I are cruising RC Explorer of the Sea in Alaska. We have a Balcony cabin guarantee. It would have cost us $500 to select the cabin.

That's A LOT of money, but an obstructed view isn't any better than an inside cabin.

Thanks in advance!

Disagree on your obstructed cabin statement. I like to have a view but I need to have daylight. If you have an inside cabin, you have neither.

DON

If you are not adverse to rough seas then I would save the money. The advantage of locking in a specific room would be if you want to avoid certain areas of the ship such as very far forward where you could feel the movement more on the ship compared to being more mid deck.

Keith

Thanks in advance!

Take the guarantee. If you don't like the room they assign you, RCI allows you to change to any other open room of the same category. In other words, if they assign you a D2 balcony, you can move to another open D2 of your choice. It's a game that RCI allows you to play. :)

Besides, I'm not aware of any obstructed view balconies on Explorer.

Edited by Aquahound

Thanks in advance!

you take a GTY only if you are willing to accept the WORST Possible option in that category. so only you can decide if $500 is worth having a full view or not. But I disagree that an obstructed view is as bad as an interior. you an still go outside and get fresh air.

Take the guarantee. If you don't like the room they assign you, RCI allows you to change to any other open room of the same category. In other words, if they assign you a D2 balcony, you can move to another open D2 of your choice. It's a game that RCI allows you to play. :)

Besides, I'm not aware of any obstructed view balconies on Explorer.

There are not any seriously obstructed balconies on the Explorer. One or two cabins that are marked obstructed have a window washing machine blocking about 2 feet floor to ceiling on one side. I believe these are the most aft side balconies on one of the decks. All the other obstructed cabins are aft cabins which are highly coveted - you should be so lucky to get one if those on a guarantee.

There are not any seriously obstructed balconies on the Explorer. One or two cabins that are marked obstructed have a window washing machine blocking about 2 feet floor to ceiling on one side. I believe these are the most aft side balconies on one of the decks. All the other obstructed cabins are aft cabins which are highly coveted - you should be so lucky to get one if those on a guarantee.

You're right, but I don't think it's even 2 feet. The contraption is stored just aft of the furthest aft balconies on deck 9 (both port and starboard). There's only 2 rooms like this on the ship. You can see in this pic, the contraption doesn't appear to be in front of the balcony at all.

ry%3D480

Edited by Aquahound

You may end up with a cabin under the pool deck, but with an Alaska cruise, not many people will be sliding chairs up there. Other than that, you should be OK.

The inside passage is very smooth. So no worries there. You're in open ocean for a day or two so I would not worry too much about forward or aft location. I personally prefer forward. You can hear the waves break over the hull and it sounds like the beach. On our last cruise to Mexico, we left the balcony door open at night to hear the ocean. It was awesome!