Balcony Guaranteed v. $500 more to pick cabin

imdamama

Hi all.

We are headed to our first Alaska in May on RC Explorer of the Seas. We got a balcony room specifically so we could see the scenery. But for us to pick the room (instead of just reserve a guarantee) it was $500 (20%) more. My concern is that we'll end up with a terribly obstructed view...but $500 bucks is a lot of money...

I'd love to have some input from those who've been-there-done-that as to whether I should bite the bullet to upgrade or if I'm probably safe.

Normally, I'm happy with an inside cabin by the engine...giggle...so I just want to ensure that having a balcony is a great experience.

Thanks in advance for your input. =)

Since I am brand new to CruiseCritic, I realized that my post was better placed on the Alaska thread so I put it here to get more targeted responses for Alaska scenery.

Thanks so much Keith and Lisichka for sharing your experiences. Your responses helped me make better choices. :-)

Edited by imdamama

Hi all.

We are headed to our first Alaska in May on RC Explorer of the Seas. We got a balcony room specifically so we could see the scenery. But for us to pick the room (instead of just reserve a guarantee) it was $500 (20%) more. My concern is that we'll end up with a terribly obstructed view...but $500 bucks is a lot of money...

I'd love to have some input from those who've been-there-done-that as to whether I should bite the bullet to upgrade or if I'm probably safe.

Normally, I'm happy with an inside cabin by the engine...giggle...so I just want to ensure that having a balcony is a great experience.

Thanks in advance for your input. =)

there are no obstructed balconys on Explorer. You'll be fine

If it were me, I would take the money and keep the Guaranteed Cabin. We have been on a lot of cruises, and by and large, there are not bad balcony cabins, especially on newer ships. The one obstructed view cabin we had, I loved. Granted it was Caribbean and not Alaska, but the obstruction provided some shade and wind protection while still offering great views ! I don't think Explorer has any of those anyway.

Thank you Jwith2boys and SeaUs...you both made my only worry go away! Now if you could do that with my bills and dishes...

SeaUs, love the blog posts...reading them now. So much info! Thank you!