Danube River Itinerary Questions/Comments

Got2Cruise

There are several threads all over the place. I have some generic questions I hope to find answers for. I'm sure others have questions about this itinerary also.

Do all the countries along the Danube use the Euro as currency?

In Budapest is there an area within walking distance of the river cruise docks to shop, walk, enjoy the scenery? We are arriving directly from our overnight flight. Want to make the best of our time before boarding ship but with low key activities.

Is the Chain Bridge located close to the docks?

What souvenirs did you purchase along the Danube?

Thanks for your replies. I hope others post additional questions.

Edited by Got2Cruise

In Budapest is there an area within walking distance of the river cruise docks to shop, walk, enjoy the scenery? We are arriving directly from our overnight flight. Want to make the best of our time before boarding ship but with low key activities.

No, not all countries use the Euro as their currency. Hungary and the Czech Republic are two that do not. You can sometimes use Euro to pay, but you will be leaving money on the table.

We docked very near the main pedestrian area and chain bridge (AMA). We walked with our bags from hotel to boat for boarding.

Yes, our docking space was walking distance from the Chain bridge (we are walkers).

We are not big on souvenirs. Our purchases were limited to paprika in various preparations to bring home and some chocolates from the Christmas market.

Edited by caviargal

Hungary uses forints but most places take Euros.

In Budapest, the docking area is in the middle of everything. You can walk to restaurants or shopping. The chain bridge is right there. We actually walked from our hotel and dropped off our valuables on embarkation day.

I am not a shopper. I did buy paprika in Budapest.

Edited by cruzzzinma

here's an example VIKING longship in Budapest .... adjacent to the chain bridge

100_0130_zpssynirorc.jpg

100_0149_zpsenrwdnwq.jpg

depending on how many are in you may be a bit further down stream, we were on ATLA which was actually down by the next bridge (name I forget) just a short walk away. (to right in top picture)

Everything we read said Hungary would require Forint and so we got some from ATM immediately on arrival - we already had EUROs. Prices we were given everyplace we went in Budapest (we spent a few extra days pre-cruise) were given in Euro .... I guess we looked too American.

Edited by Capt_BJ

...Do all the countries along the Danube use the Euro as currency?

In Budapest is there an area within walking distance of the river cruise docks to shop, walk, enjoy the scenery? We are arriving directly from our overnight flight. Want to make the best of our time before boarding ship but with low key activities...

The Danube touches 10 countries (Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, Ukraine) and only Germany, Austria and Slovakia are on the Euro. Many Danube cruises go no further downstream than Budapest, but I have cruised all the way to the Black Sea, so the number of non-Euro locales depends on the cruise. Czech Republic does not touch the Danube, nor does it use the Euro, but visits to Prague are part of a number of cruises. Euros are likely to be accepted in all of the countries mentioned, but in non-Euro countries may result in poor exchange rates - it depends on the vendor and your negotiating skill.

It is about 5 flat blocks (much of it pedestrian only) from Chain Bridge East to St. Stephen's Basilica. It is only slightly further than that north along the river promenade to the Parliament. I'd recommend going directly to your cruise boat, dropping your luggage and then seeing some sights. If you want to tour inside the Parliament building, tickets are available on line http://hungarianparliament.com/tours/

Thom

There are several threads all over the place. I have some generic questions I hope to find answers for. I'm sure others have questions about this itinerary also.

Hi Got2Cruise! Forgive me if you've mentioned this earlier, but when are you going on a Danube cruise?

We'll be boarding River Beatrice in Budapest 4 weeks from today for our third cruise with Uniworld. :D Getting very excited for this trip...hoping that I will find time to do a day by day photo journal at some point. Budapest, Bratislava, and Passau will be new visits for us; we've been to Vienna previously.

Unlike our past two river cruises, we actually took a little time on either end to allow for extra sightseeing. So we are spending two nights pre-cruise at Four Seasons Gresham Palace, which is the building in Capt_BJ's first picture, right at the end of the Chain Bridge. Looks like it will be an easy walk to the ship for us - thanks for posting that picture. I had hoped it would be close enough to walk, but that is really convenient!

We will only need Forints and Euros as we only visit Budapest, Bratislava, and a few stops in Austria & Germany. We have some leftover Euros from prior trips so we'll find an ATM somewhere after we land and grab some Forints.

Like everyone else here so far, we are horrible shoppers. So I will be of little use to you in answering any questions about that aspect of the trip! Probably will come home with a few spices, like the others. Looking forward to trying some Hungarian wines, and if we get the chance, we might bring a bottle or two home as well. But we're not much on traditional souvenirs.

So we are spending two nights pre-cruise at Four Seasons Gresham Palace, which is the building in Capt_BJ's first picture, right at the end of the Chain Bridge. Looks like it will be an easy walk to the ship for us - thanks for posting that picture. I had hoped it would be close enough to walk, but that is really convenient!

as I mentioned, VIK uses this spot AND some more spots a bit south. We were about 3/4 mile further south . . . I dunno how fluid the assignments to dock space are . . .

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will get enough Forints for the cab from the airport to the ship and some spending money for the first day. (That's just me, I don't like to have to deal at the airport. But I do have access to several different currency exchange in Manhattan) Yes I have Euros left over from last summers trip to Greece. The exchange rate is better this year, but what can you do? We leave July 3.

Does anyone know the cost of the taxi from Budapest to the ship?

Also, who wants to clarify the difference between Buda and Pest?

Can't wait until the season starts and folks start reporting on the various excursions.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will get enough Forints for the cab from the airport to the ship and some spending money for the first day. (That's just me, I don't like to have to deal at the airport. But I do have access to several different currency exchange in Manhattan) Yes I have Euros left over from last summers trip to Greece. The exchange rate is better this year, but what can you do? We leave July 3.

Does anyone know the cost of the taxi from Budapest to the ship?

Also, who wants to clarify the difference between Buda and Pest?

Can't wait until the season starts and folks start reporting on the various excursions.

We used budapestairporttaxi.com-they will meet you at the airport, and you can pay in euros. I think they also take dollars. It was 24 euros in 2012.

There is a money exchange booth at the Great Market with good exchange rates. They have a good food court there with great choices of local dishes.

In Passau I got chocolate from the Café St. Stephans Dom on Domplatz, also check out the Museum on Domplatz for Christian music CD's and books and related stuff. The glass museum is great to look at.

In Wachau valley, i.e. Melk abbey, I went for the typical peach liqueur.

And purchased several fridge magnets to cover my freezer...

notamermaid

Budapest hotel question - we're on a Viking Eastern European cruise leaving on May 3 from Budapest to Bucharest. But for the first 2 nights they have us staying at the Sofitel. If the boat dock is that close in town, does anyone know why they put us up in a hotel for 2 nights? Hate having to move! Thanks!

We used budapestairporttaxi.com-they will meet you at the airport, and you can pay in euros. I think they also take dollars. It was 24 euros in 2012.

There is a money exchange booth at the Great Market with good exchange rates. They have a good food court there with great choices of local dishes.

Thanks! I'm going to look into it. The Great Market is something we will definitely want to visit

In Passau I got chocolate from the Café St. Stephans Dom on Domplatz, also check out the Museum on Domplatz for Christian music CD's and books and related stuff. The glass museum is great to look at.

In Wachau valley, i.e. Melk abbey, I went for the typical peach liqueur.

And purchased several fridge magnets to cover my freezer...

notamermaid

Chocolate and liqueur! Check. Can't go wrong with that. Yum

Thanks! I'm going to look into it. The Great Market is something we will definitely want to visit

You definitely should! The building itself is beautiful and even if you didn't want to eat or drink or shop, you'd still want to wander around and marvel at it. But...you'd be shortchanging yourself if that's all you did because there's great food and drink inside (go upstairs), and lots of food and souvenir items to be found. We ended up having a nice goulash washed down by several beers and our bill was under $10 for both the both of us! Budapest is so ridiculously cheap compared to other countries. We thought we'd died and gone to tourist heaven. :p

You may want to look into purchasing a Budapest Card if you're going to do some sightseeing. We just about wore ours out. It includes a free visit to one of the spas. Now that was a relaxing experience! https://budapest-card.com/en

But is the "character" of both places similar or different?

Yes, very different. Buda is on the hilly west side of the river and it's more suburban and residential in feeling, in contrast to Pest's urban side. I don't know if you're familiar with Boston and Cambridge, but it's like that. Boston has the skyscrapers and a more business vibe and Cambridge is more laid back and residential. If you have time, go to Castle Hill in Buda. It's elegant and spacious and serene.

we arrived at the Budapest airport with no prior arrangements for transportation and the address of the hotel in hand

collected our bags and got some "f"s from an ATM then headed out to the ground transportation area (cleared customs in Warsaw). There was a large dispatcher station with fares to major destinations where they 'assign' the right taxi .... we were loaded and on our way in minutes. We were at the Hilton on the Buda side so the drive crossed the Chain Bridge then went up the hill towards Fisherman's Bastion; the hotel was right next door

first look out the window on arrival!

100_0124_zpspjkobmha.jpg

I don't recall what the taxi cost .... but IMO that's because the amount did not phase me .... in general I found prices in Budapest to be QUITE reasonable.

##################

But is the "character" of both places similar or different?

We did our exploring via the above average hop on/off bus service and feet! Buda ... on the top of the hill where we were staying was very 'touristy' with the Palace museum, Fisherman's Bastion, Funicular and many places to eat. Crossing to the Pest side we found TONS of shopping within a few blocks of the river front. The Hop On showed us that there was a LOT more to see and we hope to go back some day . . . we didn't get to visit a single 'bath' and they are found on both sides of the river . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

We were quite disappointed in the Central market. It was by far the worst food we had in our four days in Budapest. And when we visited the fish section, there were dead fish floating in the tanks and it stunk to high heaven.:(

We love public markets as a rule since food and wine are high on our list but this one did not deliver.

YMMV

We were quite disappointed in the Central market. It was by far the worst food we had in our four days in Budapest. And when we visited the fish section, there were dead fish floating in the tanks and it stunk to high heaven.:(

We love public markets as a rule since food and wine are high on our list but this one did not deliver.

YMMV

Awww, that's so sad! We had such a nice afternoon there after being tired from museum hopping. We did, however, eat at one of the little restaurants that had a Trip Advisor rating sticker. I did check it on my cell phone and it was spoken of favorably and we agreed that it was accurate after our soup. :D

Awww, that's so sad! We had such a nice afternoon there after being tired from museum hopping. We did, however, eat at one of the little restaurants that had a Trip Advisor rating sticker. I did check it on my cell phone and it was spoken of favorably and we agreed that it was accurate after our soup. :D

I have to say that as a rule we avoid restaurants recommended by both Trip Advisor and Rick Steeves, as they are so geared towards tourists. :)

We will be in Budapest again this fall and there is one restaurant we really want to go back to. I agree that this city is a bargain!

I have to say that as a rule we avoid restaurants recommended by both Trip Advisor and Rick Steeves, as they are so geared towards tourists. :)

We will be in Budapest again this fall and there is one restaurant we really want to go back to. I agree that this city is a bargain!

I contribute to Trip Advisor just as I do to Cruise Critic so I can't agree with you entirely on that score. TA, like CC, is full of individual opinions and you can get "I love it!" right after a "Worst food ever!" review. It makes for entertaining reading that's for sure. People cab have such wildly varying opinions on the exact same thing.

But Rick Steves? With you a 100%. I wouldn't stay anywhere or eat anywhere he recommends. His followers are slavish to a degree and I feel their devotion to anything he recommends ruins the character of the venue. You can read a review for a restaurant on TA and maybe say a 100 people might go there because of it. Rick Steves recommends a restaurant and a 100 people a day go there because of it. That's bound to make an impact and not necessarily a good one. BTW, we've met him twice already and he's a nice enough guy and gives a great lecture. But I"m still not going to his places. ;)

I contribute to Trip Advisor just as I do to Cruise Critic so I can't agree with you entirely on that score. TA, like CC, is full of individual opinions and you can get "I love it!" right after a "Worst food ever!" review. It makes for entertaining reading that's for sure. People cab have such wildly varying opinions on the exact same thing.

So do I and I am actually a Destination Expert on TA for several destinations and for quite a few years now. I know first hand how slanted and planted far too many recommendations are.

We consider ourselves well traveled as well as foodies. I use Chowhound, local food blogs and some other message boards for restaurant recommendations.