Danube River Itinerary Questions/Comments

Got2Cruise

Think they were pretty bad (low) last year, and 2013 was no picnic either...

Ingo_e has a webpage, rivercruiseinfo.com, which suggests that the river levels are lower than usual for this time of year. This may not be bad, as Springtime is prone to flooding. So I'm not worrying yet. We'll see how it goes. Our ship leaves Passau some time today or tonight, and if all goes well we'll meet her in Budapest on Sunday!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and ideas. I have approximately 90 days to ponder. I love looking at the photos in anticipation. My first season river cruising there was that horrible horrible flooding on the Danube. And then last year was the very low water on the Rhine. Here's hoping for an event free season for all.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and ideas. I have approximately 90 days to ponder. I love looking at the photos in anticipation. My first season river cruising there was that horrible horrible flooding on the Danube. And then last year was the very low water on the Rhine. Here's hoping for an event free season for all.

You're the one! :D

Water levels are indeed lower than average for this time of year on the Danube, I assume it is because of too little rain and not enough snow melt. I would not worry about it. It is the beginning of April, which often has unsettled weather. The water level can change significantly in a day right now, it will not be towards low! Rain is forecast and there is still the likelyhood of snow in the hills in Bavaria (I leave out the Alps here). Temperatures will drop a little again reaching light frost on the 8th in the morning. During the day it can get very warm, dressing in layers is advisable. As you travel further along the Danube the climate gets milder and you will find Budapest quite likely to be warmer than Bavaria and Austria.

notamermaid

Water levels are indeed lower than average for this time of year on the Danube, I assume it is because of too little rain and not enough snow melt. I would not worry about it. It is the beginning of April, which often has unsettled weather. The water level can change significantly in a day right now, it will not be towards low! Rain is forecast and there is still the likelyhood of snow in the hills in Bavaria (I leave out the Alps here). Temperatures will drop a little again reaching light frost on the 8th in the morning. During the day it can get very warm, dressing in layers is advisable. As you travel further along the Danube the climate gets milder and you will find Budapest quite likely to be warmer than Bavaria and Austria.

notamermaid

Notamermaid- Did the low water levels last year have as much impact downstream from Budapest as they did upstream.

I remember reading of issues around Passau; maybe I didn't see anything as so few people continue past Budpaest.

Thanks for all the 'ringside' information you provide.

Marister,

Have found most of my yarn in shops spotted while touring, also at Christmas market stalls. Same for the cutwork table runners. Christmas ornaments are another memory of trips. When traveling out of season, I'll find interesting keychains--they are great ornaments. Pat