Is FTTF loosing some of its value with the new staggered check in?

cmptrwiz

This is a report for the Breeze staggered checkin 3-12-2016

"We arrived this morning at 10 am with the 10 am staggered check in. We walked straight up to the check in with no line to wait. There were people milling around outside waiting for their boarding time but it wasn't hard to navigate or get in. But they are strictly enforcing the time on your fun pass and there's lots of security and roped off areas. And yes there is a separate VIP area for platinum and diamond. So the guy scanned our passports and fun pass and sent us through. Next we went to the line to get our sign & sail cards. Again there was no line to wait in we just walked right up. We now have everything in order and are just waiting for our zone to be called. By 10:30 we were done and relaxing in the seating area. We are zone 2. Zone 1 is being called at 11 am now. Overall I think it's better. Instead of standing line for an hour we are done and sitting in a comfy chair waiting."

"We arrived at 10 and got through everything by 10:30. By 11:15 they called zone 1 then zone 2 shortly afterwards. We were zone 2. At that time we just walked right on. You don't get on board any quicker than before. The main difference I see is that we waited in seats the whole time rather than standing in long lines. I have a bad back and my husband has had knee surgery so we were much happier with this arrangement. The kids liked sitting and playing on their phones. I did notice that the lines were much longer after 11. But they still weren't as bad as I've seen them in the past."

Is FTTF loosing some of its luster? We bought it for our B2B cruise out of Miami in October. I know there are other benefits, but we only have one tender port and that is HMC. I know we will have shorter lines at guest services and early debarkation as well. I guess the one nice thing is dropping our carry on off in the cabin early before we eat.

Edited by cmptrwiz

With Fttf, you can board when you get there. What happens if one can't get an early time? Nothing happens except you can still board early.

You are right. We do have early check in 10-10:30 so maybe it doesn't have the full $60 value for us. If you couldn't get an early check in time it would definitely be worth it. I'm just asking for opinions.

I don't believe so. I like FTTF for my style: arrive at port around 1, walk past the general boarding line (which isnt all that bad), check in and then proceed directly to the ship. It may not seem like I'm getting the full value of FTTF (most get it to be "first" on board) where priority boarding is concerned, but it works for me.

Staggered boarding may diminish that general boarding line somewhat, but no wait is always better than even a short wait.

Worth it for us for our room being ready as soon as we get on. We usually fly in very early the day of, and that long nap before muster is really needed. Also, bypassing the general boarding line for tendering is pretty nice.

We felt it was well worth it in Long Beach.

Hi there

People will be just as happy to buy the FTTF as ever.

Being able to go to your cabin early is a big plus. So many carry on all their bags. They wouldn't do this if they had to park their bags for a couple of hours.

I think Carnival found a real need that people would pay for when they came up with this cash cow. I am surprised that other companies didn't copy.

have a great cruise

Also, it's worth it to those who want a particular cabana. It's first come, first pick!

I had forgotten about that. We opted to pass on the cabana because there are only two of us going (40th anniversary celebration) and the roll call is kind of a dud so finding someone to split the cost with isn't looking too good.

Wiz

Is it losing value? Not at all. Early boarding is not all it offers. And if anything, I thin it has more value now because it gives you the flexibility of arriving whenever you want. Not everyone can get the first boarding slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For us the FTTF is worth every penny. We buy it specifically for the room being ready. Getting on board going directly to our room and being able to unpack just starts the vacation off perfect for us.

Now I have everything ready to go for the week while people are still boarding. We can freshen up, tour the ship if it is new to us, get some lunch, swim, or play at the sports deck.

Until we are platinum we will continue to purchase FTTF.

I don't believe so. I like FTTF for my style: arrive at port around 1, walk past the general boarding line (which isnt all that bad), check in and then proceed directly to the ship. It may not seem like I'm getting the full value of FTTF (most get it to be "first" on board) where priority boarding is concerned, but it works for me.

Staggered boarding may diminish that general boarding line somewhat, but no wait is always better than even a short wait.

A little over 3 years ago before FTTF we did a tour of Miami on the big double decker red buses the day of embarkation. When we were done it was about 1pm and I thought we could just stroll in and get on the ship. Boy was I wrong. We stood in line for what seemed like a long time just to get into the building and then had to snake around in a line inside just to get to the check in counter. FTTF would of definitely been well worth it that time.

Wiz

100% worth it for us! Even when we have had a suite, totally worth it! Love the cabin ready when we board (we are early boarders), able to unload carryon items and the VIP line at GS (no wasting time in line, in and out). We enjoy making the most of that first day and FTTF just adds to that experience.

100% worth it!

I think it does lose a lot of its value IF your main reason to buy it is to be First To The Fun AND you do get a 10:30 boarding time. If GS and Tendering, etc. is only secondary then you are paying $60.00 to get on the ship 10-15 minutes earlier. Certainly not worth it to me.

I think it does lose a lot of its value IF your main reason to buy it is to be First To The Fun AND you do get a 10:30 boarding time. If GS and Tendering, etc. is only secondary then you are paying $60.00 to get on the ship 10-15 minutes earlier. Certainly not worth it to me.

But your room is ready several hours early and your bags are there when you board. Worth $60 to me just to avoid dragging around my carry on. Others maybe don't mind. One of the few advantages of getting old is $60 is not a hard to come by as it once was. :)

Edited by travler27

How do you know when your boarding time is? We bought FTTF, so we want early boarding, but our friends didn't. Is it on the cruise documents?

It is not boarding time, it is check in time. If you are sailing from a port that has staggered check in, you have to pick a time you want to check in at the port. You will not be allowed into the building until that time. If you needed to pick a time, you would have done it when you completed the online check in.

But your room is ready several hours early and your bags are there when you board. Worth $60 to me just to avoid dragging around my carry on. Others maybe don't mind. One of the few advantages of getting old is $60 is not a hard to come by as it once was. :)

Seven platinum cruises and two FTTF before that. My bags have never been delivered before I boarded.

It lost its value for me last year after buying it for the 3rd time. I don't care about getting checked in and onboard as early as possible, and I can work around every other "benefit" it offers. I was souring on it anyway, then it went up $10. Now with staggered check in, it's lost just about all its lustre.

This is a report for the Breeze staggered checkin 3-12-2016

"We arrived this morning at 10 am with the 10 am staggered check in. We walked straight up to the check in with no line to wait. There were people milling around outside waiting for their boarding time but it wasn't hard to navigate or get in. But they are strictly enforcing the time on your fun pass and there's lots of security and roped off areas. And yes there is a separate VIP area for platinum and diamond. So the guy scanned our passports and fun pass and sent us through. Next we went to the line to get our sign & sail cards. Again there was no line to wait in we just walked right up. We now have everything in order and are just waiting for our zone to be called. By 10:30 we were done and relaxing in the seating area. We are zone 2. Zone 1 is being called at 11 am now. Overall I think it's better. Instead of standing line for an hour we are done and sitting in a comfy chair waiting."

"We arrived at 10 and got through everything by 10:30. By 11:15 they called zone 1 then zone 2 shortly afterwards. We were zone 2. At that time we just walked right on. You don't get on board any quicker than before. The main difference I see is that we waited in seats the whole time rather than standing in long lines. I have a bad back and my husband has had knee surgery so we were much happier with this arrangement. The kids liked sitting and playing on their phones. I did notice that the lines were much longer after 11. But they still weren't as bad as I've seen them in the past."

Is FTTF loosing some of its luster? We bought it for our B2B cruise out of Miami in October. I know there are other benefits, but we only have one tender port and that is HMC. I know we will have shorter lines at guest services and early debarkation as well. I guess the one nice thing is dropping our carry on off in the cabin early before we eat.

It has always been a waste of $$$. IMO