On the Gem now, if there are any questions

Kingmaker_inc

Hi kingmaker, we were on the gem 2015 and are sailing her in May. I was hoping you could get the names of the two male matrie d's in the magenta. Thanks and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Sorry for the delay... they are Michael & James.

Welcome home & thank you for all the updates, kingmaker & all others on the GEM, beautiful day in NYC - expect a little extra security global presence all around, visible & otherwise, due to overseas development - have patience while traveling smartly & be alert. Get home safely & to those eager to board following this thread, happy sailing & smooth embarkation.

Thoughts & prayers to those affected, directly & indirectly by events in Brussels - authorities has confirmed the terrorist attack but that NO ONE has claimed responsibility thus far, conflicting news report continued to coming in - refer to your own sources for latest update.

Kingmaker (or anyone else who was on this cruise)...by any chance did you save the Dailies you can post?

Or atleast, can you tell what the entertainment is? We were on the Gem on this same 10 day in October. Leave again next week on the same cruise. Wondering if the same entertainment (Jeff Harms, some terrible magic act, and Tang Fu or something comedian/juggler).

Hello everyone- I have two quick questions that some of you may or may not be able to answer-

Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless cellphone service works on the ship? I know for data we would have to purchase, but to make actual calls????

I have heard there are DVD units in the rooms, we are in a mini-suite, is this true? I want to know so I can bring DVDs for the kiddies

Kingmaker (or anyone else who was on this cruise)...by any chance did you save the Dailies you can post?

Or atleast, can you tell what the entertainment is? We were on the Gem on this same 10 day in October. Leave again next week on the same cruise. Wondering if the same entertainment (Jeff Harms, some terrible magic act, and Tang Fu or something comedian/juggler).

I did save them and I am going to scan and post them... bur not until I get to my office, and that may be just after Easter. Check back, as I promise I will post the various dailies.

Hello everyone- I have two quick questions that some of you may or may not be able to answer-

Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless cellphone service works on the ship? I know for data we would have to purchase, but to make actual calls????

I have heard there are DVD units in the rooms, we are in a mini-suite, is this true? I want to know so I can bring DVDs for the kiddies

We were in a Haven Suite. No DVD player, and no way to hook one up. We had the full menu of videos free, but that is probably a Haven perk.

It is always amazing to me that people have to be told to wash their hands. How many people I have seen leave rest rooms (on ships and otherwise) without doing so. I just don't get it. Gross. And a hazard.

I realize this time it could have had other factors, but still. . .

I whole heartedly agree. It is so gross, and to see that kind of behavior on a cruise ship is just disgusting, considering the risk of Noro, and besides it's just plain unhealthy in general. :mad:

I have a word to say about the Noro situation, and since this is a thread I started - I'm going to say it here.

I was clearly onboard before the outbreak and during the active Noro situation, and I feel that many of the comments from others are off track. I watched a woman onboard berate a staff member - calling the ship filthy and saying the outbreak was completely NCLs fault. I could not disagree more.

My experience was that the ship was gleaming clean when we boarded and that efforts to keep her clean were ongoing throughout the sailing.

Things were definitely stepped up after San Juan, and at any time of the night or day you would find people polishing, wiping and cleaning everything. The buffet cleaning between meals was like a military operation; the Kids Club was top-to-bottomed repeatedly; every handrail, doorknob and lever was wiped over and over again. All staff were assigned to work in the buffet to hand out food and drinks (in gloves) and that cut down on the possibility of anyone touching implements, serving spoons, or plates.

Washy-washy was everywhere, and bathroom doors were propped open so you didn't have to touch the handles to enter or exit. The sanitizer-steam machines were everywhere overnight, and the ship was conducting a top to bottom, deck by deck, cleaning before the next cruise boarded.

There may have been an odd dirty glass or some such as others reported on other threads, but my observations were that we boarded a clean ship and that the staff were vigilant with cleanliness.

I'm going to be accused of cheerleading... but I'm not. I'm simply telling you what I saw. I don't think the complaints about the ship or the staff are merited.

I have a word to say about the Noro situation, and since this is a thread I started - I'm going to say it here.

I was clearly onboard before the outbreak and during the active Noro situation, and I feel that many of the comments from others are off track. I watched a woman onboard berate a staff member - calling the ship filthy and saying the outbreak was completely NCLs fault. I could not disagree more.

My experience was that the ship was gleaming clean when we boarded and that efforts to keep her clean were ongoing throughout the sailing.

Things were definitely stepped up after San Juan, and at any time of the night or day you would find people polishing, wiping and cleaning everything. The buffet cleaning between meals was like a military operation; the Kids Club was top-to-bottomed repeatedly; every handrail, doorknob and lever was wiped over and over again. All staff were assigned to work in the buffet to hand out food and drinks (in gloves) and that cut down on the possibility of anyone touching implements, serving spoons, or plates.

Washy-washy was everywhere, and bathroom doors were propped open so you didn't have to touch the handles to enter or exit. The sanitizer-steam machines were everywhere overnight, and the ship was conducting a top to bottom, deck by deck, cleaning before the next cruise boarded.

There may have been an odd dirty glass or some such as others reported on other threads, but my observations were that we boarded a clean ship and that the staff were vigilant with cleanliness.

I'm going to be accused of cheerleading... but I'm not. I'm simply telling you what I saw. I don't think the complaints about the ship or the staff are merited.

I was on the cruise before you and the first three days were like your last half of the cruise. There was an outbreak on the feb 21-march 2nd cruise at the end. No touching anything in the buffet and bathroom doors opened. Things happen, keep yourself away from the infected areas as much as possible, stay clean and only touch what you need to including hand rails only in bouncy seas and enjoy yourself. I believe that every ship has some case of noro or gastro going on, ships are huge with thousands of germ breeding areas. Only when the infected are not careful and spread what they have to others does it become a problem.

Absolutely not cheerleading-I was on the Gem with a breakout a few years ago and that's exactly how it went. Also my coworker was on this cruise and said the ship was spotless!

The Captain said "it looks like" when describing the cause, based on the common experience reported by those who first succumbed to illness.

I am going to have to disagree about the cleanliness of the ship - from what I have seen and experienced - it is exemplary. The cleaning routine at the Garden Cafe at night is like a military operation.

There are hand sanitizers at the entry and exit of every restaurant, so some of them are within 10 ft of the elevators.

There is no food sitting out in the Haven, like normal days. I presume this is a cautionary measure as well.

Staff who do not regularly serve food - each staff member - is asked to put in one hour in the buffet assisting in safe food service. So, the acupuncturist was handing out cutlery; the Kids Club people were pouring and handing out drinks... one extra hour each. It was an "all hands on deck" sort of arrangement.

FYI, we are in port at Tortola... and seems like it will be a normal port day.

I completely agree with you...I was on this cruise also & the ship was sparkling clean...right from the beginning & all the way until day 10 ;). I doubt, however, the water in San Juan was the culprit...I think it was non-hand-washing by a couple of slobs that started it. One of the servers up at Bali Hai told me it was 22 people at the end of San Juan day & 85 by the end of St.Thomas day...

I was really sorry we missed St.Maarten too...I love it there :)...but made the best of our extra sea day anyway :p!

Thanks for your ongoing report Kingmaker ;).

My husband and I were on this cruise too and I agree with everything said about how clean the ship was when we boarded and how the crew kept on cleaning and sanitizing throughout.

We were in a suite and had the UDP and used the specialty restaurants not the buffet at all and I still contacted the virus. Got it over night after not being allowed onto St. Maarten so could not see Tortola. 48 hr isolation for both of us and what happens at hour 47.99 but my husband gets the virus! Another 48 hours in isolation brought us into disembarkation day which became a nightmare trying to get off the ship. The main difficulty was that notices would tell us one thing, guest services or concierge or butler would call and tell us another. It wasn't that the crew wasn't willing to help, it was that they didn't have the right info to help!

I heard from crew that the source in San Juan was from the water fountains but I don't know that it was ever confirmed and I suspect someone came on board with it.

I feel for the people who are onboard right now in our cabin. It had not been cleaned for the last 4 days of the crew as the room steward is not allowed to come in. A couple of times we called and hours later someone came in hazmat suit to clean the bathroom and bring new towels. Other times no one was available to come and it stayed dirty until we kept calling which could be why my husband had no chance of avoiding the virus since he had to stay in the cabin and use that bathroom as did I. Keep in mind that crew were working extra hours and were spread thin so I'm not blaming the delay on them, just stating the facts.

I saw the official report re the virus and there were over 125 passengers ill and 4 crew members. Since the percentage came out to 4.4% and anything over 3% has to be looked into by the US Health authorities perhaps other recommendations will come out.

I have all of the dailies but think these will be posted by the originator of this thread and I don't know how to do it anyway. Smile.

Edited by Paddy41
add on

My husband and I were on this cruise too and I agree with everything said about how clean the ship was when we boarded and how the crew kept on cleaning and sanitizing throughout.

We were in a suite and had the UDP and used the specialty restaurants not the buffet at all and I still contacted the virus. Got it over night after not being allowed onto St. Maarten so could not see Tortola. 48 hr isolation for both of us and what happens at hour 47.99 but my husband gets the virus! Another 48 hours in isolation brought us into disembarkation day which became a nightmare trying to get off the ship. The main difficulty was that notices would tell us one thing, guest services or concierge or butler would call and tell us another. It wasn't that the crew wasn't willing to help, it was that they didn't have the right info to help!

I heard from crew that the source in San Juan was from the water fountains but I don't know that it was ever confirmed and I suspect someone came on board with it.

I feel for the people who are onboard right now in our cabin. It had not been cleaned for the last 4 days of the crew as the room steward is not allowed to come in. A couple of times we called and hours later someone came in hazmat suit to clean the bathroom and bring new towels. Other times no one was available to come and it stayed dirty until we kept calling which could be why my husband had no chance of avoiding the virus since he had to stay in the cabin and use that bathroom as did I. Keep in mind that crew were working extra hours and were spread thin so I'm not blaming the delay on them, just stating the facts.

I saw the official report re the virus and there were over 125 passengers ill and 4 crew members. Since the percentage came out to 4.4% and anything over 3% has to be looked into by the US Health authorities perhaps other recommendations will come out.

I have all of the dailies but think these will be posted by the originator of this thread and I don't know how to do it anyway. Smile.

I am curious - what room were you in?

I am so so sorry to read of your cruise experience. How horrible!

Does anyone know if travel insurance kicks in if you were impacted by the n-virus during your cruise?

There was no charge to anyone who contracted the noro virus onboard. On disembarkation day my husband was still under the 48 hour isolation and we were told to stay in our cabin. Then we were told to go to Cagney's (for suites)for breakfast (contrasting instructions happened a lot). When we got to Cagney's our card was flagged and we had to wait until an officer came to talk to us. He told us to go back to our suite. When we expressed our concern about being off the ship in time to get on the bus we had booked he said not to worry. That if we missed the bus to Albany, where our car was, then NCL would arrange alternate transport for us to Albany at no charge. So it seems like insurance would not come in to play at all.

That said.....there was a lot differing instructions so I am not at all sure that if we had missed the bus they would have gotten us to Albany for free. All crew was very willing to help but lacked essential information. In the last few days we received contrasting info over and over again until we were quite frustrated.

NCL has been negotiating with them for the last 2 hours (we should have docked an hour ago), and the resolution is that they are sending a medical team onboard for an inspection.

I checked online and it has been something like 2-3 years since there was an outbreak on an NCL ship. They must be pissed to lose their top health and safety rating...

who you kidding I`ve been a few ncl ships in last 2 years with big outbreaks.

I'm sorry about your cruise and having to miss St. Martin, but you seem like an optimistic person who made the most out of your vacation.

I have some ship questions I am hoping you are able to answer: did you use the fitness centre and how did you find it; what were the fitness classes available (any Zumba?); is there an outdoor movie screen; was the rock climbing wall overly busy and is there a fee to use it; what was the music like in the disco and what were the evening shows?

I will be on the GEM in September...my first NCL cruise.

Thank-you,