Boarding time in San Francisco?

cvpends

I just received an e-mail saying don't arrive at the port in San Francisco before 1 o'clock for my sailing a week from Saturday. Can I safely ignore it as I always have for San Pedro? Or is San Francisco actually serious about boarding times? We generally check in early and like to be in boarding group A.

Every time I've sailed from SF they open the doors for check in at 11am. Boarding usually starts at 12 noon. (I've had as early as 11:30 and 12:30 the latest) The staggered boarding is really just a suggestion.

I just received an e-mail saying don't arrive at the port in San Francisco before 1 o'clock for my sailing a week from Saturday. Can I safely ignore it as I always have for San Pedro? Or is San Francisco actually serious about boarding times? We generally check in early and like to be in boarding group A.

Both times we sailed from SFO, they have opened the doors at 10:30. Our bags were checked in at 9:30, we were at the check in desk by 11:00 and were on the ship at 11:45.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

HI CVPends -- we went in December and got to the pier around 11:20 AM. There was a line up at security but made it through by 11:45 AM, at which time, they were calling for Elite and Suite passengers to board.

We live in the same area as you and generally leave the house around 10:30 AM and not had to really wait since they started using Pier 27.

PS - just curious how you are getting to the pier -- if not using a friend or family member to take you. We have a group of at least 8 going later this summer and are pondering our transportation options.

HI CVPends -- we went in December and got to the pier around 11:20 AM. There was a line up at security but made it through by 11:45 AM, at which time, they were calling for Elite and Suite passengers to board.

We live in the same area as you and generally leave the house around 10:30 AM and not had to really wait since they started using Pier 27.

PS - just curious how you are getting to the pier -- if not using a friend or family member to take you. We have a group of at least 8 going later this summer and are pondering our transportation options.

We are out of San Jose and have a similar size group going- we just use a limo service/party type van

Hey Roatanfans, I am down in your area and we are taking the same cruise as you this October. You say that you are using a private car to get to SF? Any recommendations? We having taken the train before but are looking at other alternatives. :D

We arrive around 10:00, check in our luggage, get in line, doors open around 11:00 - 11:30, check in and we're onboard by 12:00 -12:30 pm. If you're platinum or elite, you go to a special area where they have pastries, tea, coffee, water, and sometimes snacks like pretzels, peanuts, etc., on a table. The process is run smoothly.

I appreciate all of your answers - they confirmed what I had suspected. While I have cruised into San Francisco a few times, I have never previously left from San Francisco, so I appreciate the help from those of you who have!

Hi, Cruise Raider. We are thinking of taking the ferry this time. Our daughter will drop us of at the ferry at Jack London Square at 9:45, and the ferry arrives at Pier 41 at 10:25. We will then roll our luggage to Pier 27. We have previously rolled our luggage to BART when sailing into San Francisco, which was fine for us. BART is a bit further from the pier but brings us closer to home. We thought we would take the ferry this time so that we can be on some kind of a boat as early as possible that day to start our adventure :D

But for those who have taken the ferry in, I have a question. In looking at the map, it looks as if Pier 27 is equidistant between the Ferry Building and Pier 41. Is it actually closer to one or the other? We could exit the ferry at either stop.

Hi, Cruise Raider. We are thinking of taking the ferry this time. Our daughter will drop us of at the ferry at Jack London Square at 9:45, and the ferry arrives at Pier 41 at 10:25. We will then roll our luggage to Pier 27. We have previously rolled our luggage to BART when sailing into San Francisco, which was fine for us. BART is a bit further from the pier but brings us closer to home. We thought we would take the ferry this time so that we can be on some kind of a boat as early as possible that day to start our adventure :D

But for those who have taken the ferry in, I have a question. In looking at the map, it looks as if Pier 27 is equidistant between the Ferry Building and Pier 41. Is it actually closer to one or the other? We could exit the ferry at either stop.

Don't exit at the Ferry Building! It's a fairly short walk from the ferry near Pier 39 to pier 27. The walk is shorter.

Don't exit at the Ferry Building! It's a fairly short walk from the ferry near Pier 39 to pier 27. The walk is shorter.

ThAnks! I couldn't tell for sure from a map, and the port website offered no help. I appreciate your advice.

Hey Roatanfans, I am down in your area and we are taking the same cruise as you this October. You say that you are using a private car to get to SF? Any recommendations? We having taken the train before but are looking at other alternatives. :D

I used a private transfer to go from Morgan Hill to Pier 35 for a cruise.

There were four of us, plus luggage, and we needed an SUV. We paid $200 plus

20% gratuity ($40). We used the same service going from SFO to Morgan

Hill. For a Town Car we paid $105 plus 20% gratuity ($21).

The contact is adolfoslimo.com, if you're interested.

I used a private transfer to go from Morgan Hill to Pier 35 for a cruise.

There were four of us, plus luggage, and we needed an SUV. We paid $200 plus

20% gratuity ($40). We used the same service going from SFO to Morgan

Hill. For a Town Car we paid $105 plus 20% gratuity ($21).

The contact is adolfoslimo.com, if you're interested.

Yikes, that is expensive but thanks for the info. We used to pay $60 (that included a 20% tip) for a shuttle service and now they have gone up quite a bit....more than doubled but still better than a private car or limo. Our problem is that the shuttles only hold 7 passengers, we have 8. We'll make it work, though! We will probably want to take our own wine so will get a ride there and our luggage will be much lighter on the way back :D so we can just take BART. It will be in the summer so probably won't have to worry about rain.

CVPends -- We have taken BART on several occasions but one couple in our group is rather concerned about the walk from BART. It is not such a big deal though as it is only 1 mile ... we've done it before and it is all flat so think they are worried about nothing.

I also appreciate this whole thread including the ferry info. My husband and I are doing the same thing - daughter is taking us to the ferry so we can start our water vacation early. :)

Great minds ;) :D

We used the ferry to get to Pier 27 for our last cruise and really enjoyed ride. Our son dropped us off at the Alameda Ferry terminal instead of at Jack London Square. We wanted to make sure we got a seat since the ferry picked up at Alameda before going to Jack London Square and we're glad we did. The ferry was pretty full by the time it docked at Jack London Square. We got off at the Ferry Building and it's really not that much further to Pier 27 than if you get off at Pier 41, we're talking just a couple of minutes longer from the Ferry Building. If you have a Clipper Card, the fare is a couple of dollars cheaper than paying the cash fare and it's much more convenient since you tag the Clipper Card when boarding.

We used the ferry to get to Pier 27 for our last cruise and really enjoyed ride. Our son dropped us off at the Alameda Ferry terminal instead of at Jack London Square. We wanted to make sure we got a seat since the ferry picked up at Alameda before going to Jack London Square and we're glad we did. The ferry was pretty full by the time it docked at Jack London Square. We got off at the Ferry Building and it's really not that much further to Pier 27 than if you get off at Pier 41, we're talking just a couple of minutes longer from the Ferry Building. If you have a Clipper Card, the fare is a couple of dollars cheaper than paying the cash fare and it's much more convenient since you tag the Clipper Card when boarding.

Getting on the ferry in Alameda is a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

Getting on the ferry in Alameda is a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome. I should mention though that you should check the ferry schedule before deciding which ferry terminal you want to board the ferry. We boarded in Alameda because for the time we wanted to head to San Francisco the schedule showed the ferry picking up in Alameda before going to Jack London Square. If we wanted to board an earlier one, it would have picked at Jack London Square first and then Alameda.

You're welcome. I should mention though that you should check the ferry schedule before deciding which ferry terminal you want to board the ferry. We boarded in Alameda because for the time we wanted to head to San Francisco the schedule showed the ferry picking up in Alameda before going to Jack London Square. If we wanted to board an earlier one, it would have picked at Jack London Square first and then Alameda.

Did you have any trouble handeling your luggage on/off the ferry?

Normally I take the train to Emeryville, then the Amtrak Thruway bus into The City, then there's the walk, dragging my luggage to the pier. I can get off the train at Jack London, ferry across the bay, depending on where I can get off in The City. Which one would be easiest for a Sr. citizen with luggage & walker.

Edited by Treven

Did you have any trouble handeling your luggage on/off the ferry?

Normally I take the train to Emeryville, then the Amtrak Thruway bus into The City, then there's the walk, dragging my luggage to the pier. I can get off the train at Jack London, ferry across the bay, depending on where I can get off in The City. Which one would be easiest for a Sr. citizen with luggage & walker.

We find the Ferry Bldg sidewalk to Pier 27 is flat and smooth. Pier 41 to Pier 27 has cobblestones past Pier 39 and a lot of delivery trucks going in and out of driveways.