scenic river cruises europe

tim1949

Hi we are ocean cruisers but are attracted to Scenic European cruise. However we are "smart casual" at night,don't do "captain's night" If the butler is friendly and informal,great, we need input. Scenic people-help. Thanks

Hi we are ocean cruisers but are attracted to Scenic European cruise. However we are "smart casual" at night,don't do "captain's night" If the butler is friendly and informal,great, we need input. Scenic people-help. Thanks

There are no formal nights on river cruises. On Scenic, attire is smart casual. On all river cruises, we have seen only a small percentage of gentlemen wear sport coats no matter the night or venue, on any line. Even fewer wear ties and I can count on one hand the number of suits I have seen on all 11 of our river cruises so far.

We are on Scenic in 6 weeks and will pack no differently.

Was on Scenic Opal from Budapest to Nuremberg at the end of August 2016.

Exactly as advertised. We were in the lower level cabins which were small but fine. Didn't see much of our butler but the first day we asked that the mini fridge be stocked with our favorite beverages and it was always there. Saw a lot of the stewardess who kept the room spotless.

Staff friendly and the cruise director was great.

Food was good. Ex. seafood lunch with oysters flown in from France. I saw the crates being carried onboard. We enjoyed Portobello's. We did not get to dine at Table l'Rive since we were down in aquarium class but friends we made really enjoyed the experience.

I'm not much of a wine drinker but people who claimed to be were happy with the wine selection. One night someone at our table was not impressed with the first wine offered and tasted two others before she found one she liked. Wine steward was fine with her asking for something different.

Staff circulated on the upper deck while sailing taking drink orders or you could just walk up the bar and order whatever. Only the very, very top shelf brands were an extra expense. One guy was sampling his way through all the scotches on offer.

Tours were very good. We enjoyed the concert in Vienna. 12 person orchestra; two singers and two dancers. Lasted about an hour.

Scenic sundowners in a castle ruin overlooking the Danube with two musicians and free flowing beer and apple juice.

Since there was low water, the ship did not make it past Passau. But, the situation was handled with special arrangements made for people to accommodate their onward travel plans. Did not hear a single complaint about how it was handled.

Fellow passengers were from Australia, the U.K., Canada and the U.S. Scenic only markets in English speaking countries.

Only problems: service was a little slow a couple to times during the served dinners. Piano player in the evening was not very good.

Scenic is an amazing River Cruise.

Most river cruise lines state Resort Casual or Smart Casual. They usually have a Welcome Aboard and a Captain's Farewell parties. On these nights, the women wear just about anything from dresses or slacks with a nice top, with or without bling, nothing really formal. Men usually wear slacks and button shirt or polo, some had sport coats. Other nights, we found women in dresses, slacks and crop pants/capris and men in slacks and button up or polos. I don't remember seeing anyone in shorts during dinner.

The butler will be there for you....When and if you want them.

The included excursions are over and above what other cruise lines offer at a cost.

The Scenic Sundowner is another included amenity where they take you to an amazing location...Castle, Chateau/Winery, Fortress high up on a hill overlooking the beautiful valleys, to enjoy the sunset.

The Scenic Enrich is another special once in a lifetime event that depending on the cruise, you will get to experience a private evening concert, a home cooked meal, visit a castle seeing private art collections, you will enjoy dinner, cocktails and entertainment.

Plus Scenic is the only cruise line that offers the Tailormade, personal GPS system, and if you like to explore on a bike, they have the e-bikes! These bicycles are electric assist bikes, if you need a bit of help going up a hill.

I hope this helps with your decisions.

I was on the Scenic Opal with Nancyevans last year. I'm a pretty casual guy, evening wear for me was khakis and a polo shirt. I felt a little under dressed at the concert in Vienna, but a dress shirt or a sport coat would have put me right in the middle of the pack. All other evenings I thought my clothing fit in just fine.

Hi Tim, we're going on our fifth Scenic cruise this year and have been so satisfied with them that it would take an exceptionaly different itinerary for us to consider changing. Don't worry about your attire clean and tidy and I suppose respecting your surroundings. Okay some ladies go a bit o.t.t. on special evenings (I do, got to do a bit of bling occasionally). All of our butlers have been friendle and very helpful, the cabin staff are superb. In fact all of the crew are so helpful it's quite amazing how quickly they learn your name (or how you prefer to be addressed) your preference for breakfast or from the bar. It was my birthday last year and I was surprised by a very nice cake, my husband could not claim any Brownie points. Any questions just ask.

Happy Cruising CA

So glad to start to see a thread about Scenic. We are taking our 1st. river cruise on Amber in October and can not wait as I have heard many good things about this river cruise line. I am surprise that since we have booked we have got little to no emails or any mailings from Scenic. I hope this thread keeps going as I am sure I will have many question.

We are doing a Prague add on and was wondering when they leave Prague to motor coach to Nuremburg and how long it takes. Some where someone said it showed 9 hours on there information sheet to travel from Prague to Nuremburg. They thought Scenic might include a tour of the city before getting on the ship.

Did you find that they did not send a lot of info and promotions prior to sailing? I even emailed them to find any update on the ship as far as launch date and they never even responded. Just so different from ocean cruising.

Did you find that they did not send a lot of info and promotions prior to sailing? I even emailed them to find any update on the ship as far as launch date and they never even responded. Just so different from ocean cruising.

No, I didn't get anything from them. You can see stuff online where you can select your optional tours for the first couple of days. After that, you select your tours day by day. Never had any problem getting the tour we wanted.

I receive occasional marketing emails. I received Passenger Booking Advice updates as I made progress payments or changes to our reservation. Scenic would answer email questions sometimes but more often not.

Make sure to check your Tour Personalizer on the Scenic web site. Some of your scenic free choice options need to be booked in advance and the only reminder I received was a paragraph in the booking advice.

The lists of tours each day are in the Scenic Brouchure and on the website. To book the tours for the first day and one or two more that Scenic need to know the numbers for in advance go to tp.scenicglobal.com well that's in the UK I expect it's the same but will be shown on your booking confirmation. There are several sections to complete amongst them the pre booking for your tour preference.

When you are on board at the port talk you will have explained to you the various other daily choices, not nesesarily all ar once, just choose which ones you want to enjoy. We have never heard of anyone not being able to do a tour of their choice and in fact on our Seine cruise we were the only couple who did one tour, car and guide all to ourselves, very exclusive. On the same cruise a Canadian couple wanted to go to the Canadian war cemetery this was catered for with no extra charge, they went in the morning and joined us for lunch and the rest of the tour.

Hope this helps CA

We are cruising in mid June and were able to pre-book excursions in three of our stops several months ago. Just go into the Scenic personalizer under your booking number and under Free Choice it will list the stops and tours available for pre-booking. It was very easy to use.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Just recalled one complaint that someone had: at one point in the trip there was an organized bike ride along the Danube. People signed up for the electric assist bikes only to find that the electric bikes were given out on a first come first serve basis. If you plan to do the bicycle ride, you may want to find out how the electric assist bikes are allocated.

The ride proved to be too much for some people who were counting on the electric assist bikes. But they were picked up by a van that was following the riders.

Hi

My wife and I are doing the Jewels of Europe in September. I'm just wondering if anyone can help with the Red wine list....I know its an odd request but I really only drink Aussie Shriraz's and only a couple of regions....guess that makes me a bit of a shiraz snob...anyway I tring to work out which eurpoean wines maybe similar

thanks in advance

Hi 41rainbow, the Shiraz grape is the new world name for the Syrah grape which comes from the Rhone valley so you should have a great time comparing the new and old world versions. I had the wine list but I think it's on my old emai so will try to find it. Scenic has a great wine selection usually made up of local varieties. Last year on the south of France cruise there was a delicious Chateau neuf de Pap from one of the tastings we went to. Mind you my husband maintains that there are no bad wines only that some are very much better than others. It's an aim to taste, just a few to find that especial one you realy enjoy. On board you will find they offer about five different at lunch and dinner if non tempt you just ask for the wine list, the staff will always remember your preference.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you find a wine to your taste. CA

Hello 41Rainbow,

as suggested by Canal Archive going for the "old" Syrah is a good start. German wikipedia states that the Australian Shiraz is a bit on the strong side with with strong suggestions of red currant. You might like to try a Pinot Noir to compare. I am quite partial to a strong Tempranillo from Spain and like a Corbière now and again. Remember that oak barrels are still very common in France. I would try and avoid those wines as they get a distinct flavour that I guess might not be to your liking. But then again, you might want to sample one of those just to compare!

Enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid

Hi 41rainbow, the Shiraz grape is the new world name for the Syrah grape which comes from the Rhone valley so you should have a great time comparing the new and old world versions. I had the wine list but I think it's on my old emai so will try to find it. Scenic has a great wine selection usually made up of local varieties. Last year on the south of France cruise there was a delicious Chateau neuf de Pap from one of the tastings we went to. Mind you my husband maintains that there are no bad wines only that some are very much better than others. It's an aim to taste, just a few to find that especial one you realy enjoy. On board you will find they offer about five different at lunch and dinner if non tempt you just ask for the wine list, the staff will always remember your preference.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you find a wine to your taste. CA

Hi Canal...thanks for your prompt reply. Yes your right Syrah and Shiraz are the same. Syrah is sold here to. And yes it will be interesting to try the different varieties.

I guess I'm a little connected to the shiraz variety as I have been making it for a few years and just love the peppery/blackberry flavours that come through... I have tried a couple of Spanish Tempranillo, which are close but dont have the "punch"of a big Shiaz

Hi Canal...thanks for your prompt reply. Yes your right Syrah and Shiraz are the same. Syrah is sold here to. And yes it will be interesting to try the different varieties.

I guess I'm a little connected to the shiraz variety as I have been making it for a few years and just love the peppery/blackberry flavours that come through... I have tried a couple of Spanish Tempranillo, which are close but dont have the "punch"of a big Shiaz

I am a huge fan of French reds and Chateauneuf du Pape is a favorite. I find it has the rich mouth feel and peppery finish which I enjoy and is a nice, bold wine. I am also a fan of the Cote du Rhone wines of that reqion and find some compare well to the Petite Syrahs I enjoy. Chapoutier makes some lovely Cote du Rhones and other great reds, including their Bila Haut. "Les Vignes de Bila-Haut, by Michel Chapoutier, Côtes du Roussillon Villages (syrah, grenache, carignan): deep red hue, aromas and flavors of black cherries and spice."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/food-drink/wine/article2494309.html#storylink=cpy

Pinot Noir as a rule is too wimpy for my tastes, which runs more to the chewy reds of the Rhone and certain parts of Italy.

We have been buying these wines by the case for years as our taste definitely runs to the French and Italian reds over the domestics.

This might be an interesting read for you: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/rhone-wines-cote-rotie-hermitage-chateauneuf-du-pape/rhone-wine-hermitage-producer-profiles/

We head to Bordeaux in a few weeks with Scenic and have been busy "researching" the wines of that region. This involves quite a bit of sampling and a few specialty wine tastings at some local shops and restaurants. :)

Edited by caviargal

I am a huge fan of French reds and Chateauneuf du Pape is a favorite. I find it has the rich mouth feel and peppery finish which I enjoy and is a nice, bold wine. I am also a fan of the Cote du Rhone wines of that reqion and find some compare well to the Petite Syrahs I enjoy. Chapoutier makes some lovely Cote du Rhones and other great reds, including their Bila Haut. "Les Vignes de Bila-Haut, by Michel Chapoutier, Côtes du Roussillon Villages (syrah, grenache, carignan): deep red hue, aromas and flavors of black cherries and spice."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/food-drink/wine/article2494309.html#storylink=cpy

Pinot Noir as a rule is too wimpy for my tastes, which runs more to the chewy reds of the Rhone and certain parts of Italy.

We have been buying these wines by the case for years as our taste definitely runs to the French and Italian reds over the domestics.

This might be an interesting read for you: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/rhone-wines-cote-rotie-hermitage-chateauneuf-du-pape/rhone-wine-hermitage-producer-profiles/

We head to Bordeaux in a few weeks with Scenic and have been busy "researching" the wines of that region. This involves quite a bit of sampling and a few specialty wine tastings at some local shops and restaurants. :)

Thanks Caviargal

Plenty for me to look at there.

BTW...have you managed to try any Australian Shiraz's? Sounds like you prefer the full bodied reds

Try a Spanish Rioja, some are somewhat on the oky side but most have that depth of flavour that really kicks. To me it's sunshine in a glass.

CA

Thanks Canal....I think I did try one of those a little while back but seemed a little light from memory

When Australian Shiraz first became prominent in the US they were lovely full-bodied wines and very fruit forward. Then they became too popular, or the vintages got too much rain late, whatever -- and they became pale imitations of what I remembered. I had one recently and was pleased to find that it seemed to recapture the old form. I don't think I would compare any of the Rhone wines I have tried to a really good Shiraz. Certain Cabernets have a distinct peppery taste (as in green peppers) -- the Peter Lehmann Cabernet from Barossa is a standout of this type (but you are more likely to find that at home than in the sSouth of France!). Another really spicy-fruity wine I recently had was 100% Petit Verdot -- mine was from California (Runquist), but you might find it from a new-generation French winemaker.

This going to come across as biased and it is.

As an Australian who has been fortunate to taste and more importantly drink many wines from around the world except for a Chateauneuf du Pape 2008 that I had the great fortune to drink on a Tauck cruise in 2014, I have never found a wine that has the body of an Australian Shiraz or the South Australian Cabernet's. I could talk for hours about Australian wines and I did particularly on our river cruises with any nationality that would listen but everybody has their own personal taste. During my "wine appreciation learning years" the best advice I got from a famous Australian wine maker was - never recommend a wine to someone as the best you've ever tasted because if he doesn't like it then he'll always think your taste for wine comes out of your bum. Offer wine at all times but never recommend it.

Told you I was biased.