Crab shack??

balconyfriends

Some ships in Asia have Lobster Grill on certain days instead of hamburgers and hot dogs at Trident Grill. Some info on this thread.

On our b2b Alaskan cruises in 2013 on the Coral they had a fish fry at The Grill on deck 15 in the early afternoon just after sailing from Juneau & then from Ketchikan on the 2nd cruise.

Crab Shack in the HC is only at dinner.

This is contrary to my personal experience.

Blanket posts here are almost always wrong.

I was going to write:

"Blanket posts here are always wrong."

...but I thought it might be too early for irony.

This is contrary to my personal experience.

Blanket posts here are almost always wrong.

I was going to write:

"Blanket posts here are always wrong."

...but I thought it might be too early for irony.

Well the exception you previously cited

Recently on the grand class ships I have been on, and Regal+Royal,

crab shack is in a section of the lido at night.

When I was on coral in 2014, it was in the Bayou Cafe at lunch time.

does not contradict my observation that "Crab Shack in the HC is only at dinner". I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever seen one of the pay venues in operation at the buffet during the lunch rush.

"Two literalists get into a pissing contest on Cruise Critic, and nobody else cares who wins" :eek:

I like crab legs, my wife doesn't, if I sign up for the "Crab Shack", are there other dining options for her in the same venue?

We will be on the Crown...

I haven't tried it but have read several posts from passengers who said another person could go to the buffet & eat with them at the Crab Shack.

Although that may depend upon how busy they are & they could save all available seats for the Crab Shack. So you'll "probably" be able to do it but "maybe" not when full of paying diners.

I haven't tried it but have read several posts from passengers who said another person could go to the buffet & eat with them at the Crab Shack.

Although that may depend upon how busy they are & they could save all available seats for the Crab Shack. So you'll "probably" be able to do it but "maybe" not when full of paying diners.

The person would not be taking up a paying seat. IMO

When I ate there the place was packed. A lady was seating at a table for 4 by herself. If I dined by myself at a table for two, the empty seat could be used by my buffet eating friend. How do you save a seat for a paying customer when they won't be sitting there?

Your post just confused me.

I am confused, I was under the impression that on the Crown the "Crab Shack" night wasn't in the buffet?

Well, I have never actually eaten in the Crab Shack, but I have read a lot of Patters. I've done six cruises in the past year or so, and every one has advertised the Crab Shack in the evening in the buffet. (Now, I don't remember if the Pacific Princess had it.) Maybe some people are confusing the free Pub Lunch held in various lounges on different ships with the Crab Shack with its $20 charge.

They had it on the Crown last October...starboard (right) side of Cafe Caribe

I am confused, I was under the impression that on the Crown the "Crab Shack" night wasn't in the buffet?

As you can see from a previous post the Crown's Crab Shack was at the Cafe Caribe which is just the furthest aft section of the buffet area adjacent to the Horizon Court.

I thought I read that Crab Shack was at lunchtime???? Maybe it depends on the ship?

We were on the Caribbean Princess B2B in January and it was on Thursday Evening in the Cafe Caribe. They had it setup in a separate (roped off) area. It was delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Hoping when we sail on the Crown at the end of the month doing a B2B we will have a chance too enjoy again. We love all the Specialty Dining Offerings... The English Pub Lunch was also wonderful. Two weeks on the same dining room food can get old, so this gives us options.

Well the exception you previously cited

does not contradict my observation that "Crab Shack in the HC is only at dinner". I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever seen one of the pay venues in operation at the buffet during the lunch rush.

"Two literalists get into a pissing contest on Cruise Critic, and nobody else cares who wins" :eek:

Do you write your posts to be helpful to the original poster?

It is a pretty subtle difference between 'the crab shack in the hc is only at dinner',

and 'the crab shack is only at dinner'.

If someone needs to parse your sentences to the depth you

require, you may not be achieving your goal.

Edited by pablo222

Will be on the Regal in Nov.

We've eaten the crab shack three times on Emerald, caribbean and Emerald respectively.

First time we just walked up, second and third we made reservations after noticing it in the Patter the night before.

Want to plan ahead a bit more this time so is there a way to know what night the crab shack will be offered before hand or once onboard? Or do we simply call the dine line and ask what night its on and then make reservations?

It would be nice if they gave the dining highlights for the week in the first patter, i.e. crab shack, bavarian, etc but I've looked at several online and haven't noticed. Thoughts?

By the way, we've asked for more crab and once was denied by the waiter, as usually the case we went over his head and asked the MD and was approved. Never hurts to flex your muscles (politely, of course)

Edited by figmentdj

My wife and I drink wine with every dinner. If we try the Crab Shack in our impending 7-day cruise on the Crown:

1. Is there a wine list from which we can order glasses or bottles of wine?

2. If we carry-on our own wine and pay the corkage fee, can we bring our own wine to the Crab Shack?

Thanks

Want to plan ahead a bit more this time so is there a way to know what night the crab shack will be offered before hand or once onboard? Or do we simply call the dine line and ask what night its on and then make reservations?

On Ruby in November 2014 the first day's Patter did list the two days Crab Shack was offered. But not so on Emerald last month. Calling the dine line is your best bet.

And yes it would be nice if a dining summary for the whole cruise was put out on the first day, similar to the list of entertainment acts. But based on many past discussions on here it seems like hardly anybody ever bothers to read the back page of the Patter in the first place.

My wife and I drink wine with every dinner. If we try the Crab Shack in our impending 7-day cruise on the Crown:

1. Is there a wine list from which we can order glasses or bottles of wine?

2. If we carry-on our own wine and pay the corkage fee, can we bring our own wine to the Crab Shack?

Thanks

Yes and Yes.

Edited by fishywood

• 2 weeks later...

When I was on coral in 2014, it was in the Bayou Cafe at lunch time.

FWIW -- I messaged a girl who was a waitress on Coral in 2014,

and worked in Bayou Cafe. She confirmed that crab shack was

at lunch time then.

Now, who knows?

The only way to know for sure is to call Princess, and then

assume the opposite is true.

I know the Crab Shack us not offered every evening, so if I call the DINE # on the first day of the cruise will they be able to tell me what nights it us offered? Saw a picture on a different thread of the food in the Crab Shack and I am dying to try it!!!

The table next to us asked for more crab legs and were refused.

Interesting . . . . . :confused: Our waiter asked us several times if we'd like more of any of the seafood. But we had so much in the bucket and couldn't have eaten any more. I heard other waiters asking other passengers if they'd like more too.

As for reservations - we called the Dine Line and they told us the nights it would be offered and we chose our day and time.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Ruby, and our waiter was asking all his tables if they wanted any more crab. We went twice, and after our first visit we ran into him working in the buffet and were talking to him about Crab Shack. He told us he would customize our buckets for us the next time, so we had him hold the potatoes, corn and shrimp and add some snow crab for me and sausage for DH. I don't know if other waiters would do this, but it was a nice experience for us.