Cash Tips for better service at Bars

UFLaw

An 18% tip on a $6 beer is $1. I think that is a fair price for the job done.

I also will give an extra tip but not because the crew works so hard, deserves it or are away from their families.

I tip extra so I will get good/better/more prompt/attentive service on my next round. Also because sometimes it makes me feel good. I never do it because they work hard or have families because I feel $1 to bring me a beer is fair compensation for the job performed.

We always tip in cash even though we have drink packages. Who knows how much of that 18% goes to the bartenders. I do it not just for better service but also for the smile. I know how hard they work and love having the chance to say thank you and nothing said thank you better than cash!!

I don't get the people who don't believe the automatic gratuities really go to the service crew. I understand that some people want to give a little extra, and hope it gets to be kept by just the particular person helping them, rather than going into a pool. To think that the company is keeping the money, rather than distributing it to the employees, though, just seems odd. I don't think RCI is that slimy, but if I did think they were, I'd avoid doing business with them.

I don't get the people who don't believe the automatic gratuities really go to the service crew. I understand that some people want to give a little extra, and hope it gets to be kept by just the particular person helping them, rather than going into a pool. To think that the company is keeping the money, rather than distributing it to the employees, though, just seems odd. I don't think RCI is that slimy, but if I did think they were, I'd avoid doing business with them.

I agree, the drink gratuities likely go completely to the bartenders, bar wait staff. I would also avoid RCCL if they took their tips and pocketed them.

I also agree with the 18% tip is generous enough considering its on top of an already overpriced drink. Cash, upfront no less, should NOT be a condition of good or better service. :eek:

I may slip some cash to a favorite bartender with a purchase on the last evening along with a thank you for a great cruise.

We always tip in cash even though we have drink packages. Who knows how much of that 18% goes to the bartenders. I do it not just for better service but also for the smile. I know how hard they work and love having the chance to say thank you and nothing said thank you better than cash!!

The same logic would apply to local restaurant/bars too, right?

Say you go to a local Bonefish or Applebees- do you give cash tips to your bartenders/servers on top of the 18-20% on the bill that your charged to your Visa/MC/Amex?

If not, why?

Say you go to a local Bonefish or Applebees- do you give cash tips to your bartenders/servers on top of the 18-20% on the bill that your charged to your Visa/MC/Amex?

If not, why?

Ok I'll bite. There have been more and more instances in the news of restaurants and bars skimming tips. So more and more I tip in cash where possible including rounding up 18% check added gratuities to 20-22% depending on service. Finally IMHO it's an apples to oranges comparison between a cruise ship and restaurant.

In the end folks should do what the want to do. I just know that my system works for me and at the end of the day I have a fantastic time getting to know the crew and I'm not going to miss the additional buck I pay for a drink.

Cheers

I think there are two different discussions going on here.

One is tipping and the other is about bribing.

I think its great that cruisers want to tip the staff no objections at all go for it (as much as you want - I don't care)-

Bribery - that's what I don't like as some cruisers seem to think that by flashing the cash ahead of service they will buy a better product or skip the line. However, any waiter doing their job well should not be swayed by that extra cash - they should do their job and serve you in line. How would you feel if you were in a queue at a hotel/shop and someone walked up and handed the cashier some $$ and skipped the queue - Would you classify that cashier as doing their job well - I would not.

Also if by bribing the waiter he is encouraged to do a larger pour (as some on here suggest) then you are in fact encouraging him to steel from his employer for your extra money. If you need more alcohol than in an allotted measure then the non crooked way would be to buy more and tip as appropriate for the extra drinks you need.

Edited by fragilek

I think there are two different discussions going on here.

One is tipping and the other is about bribing.

I think its great that cruisers want to tip the staff no objections at all go for it (as much as you want - I don't care)-

Bribery - that's what I don't like as some cruisers seem to think that by flashing the cash ahead of service they will buy a better product or skip the line. However, any waiter doing their job well should not be swayed by that extra cash - they should do their job and serve you in line. How would you feel if you were in a queue at a hotel/shop and someone walked up and handed the cashier some $$ and skipped the queue - Would you classify that cashier as doing their job well - I would not.

Also if by bribing the waiter he is encouraged to do a larger pour (as some on here suggest) then you are in fact encouraging him to steel from his employer for your extra money. If you need more alcohol than in an allotted measure then the non crooked way would be to buy more and tip as appropriate for the extra drinks you need.

I agree with your thoughts.

I have always tipped well. Usually its 15% at the minimum (bad service). 20% (for large tabs/bills) and sometimes anywhere from 25-50% (small diner type bills).

On ships, I used to tip more (in cash) BEFORE the prepaid, BEFORE the 18% automatically added to drinks. Now its a tad awkward..... how much to give above and beyond the prepaid for steward/wait staff? Give the guy an extra $10 and he looks at you like you are a cheapskate (even though you already paid the "official cruise line suggested amount", give the guy $50 and now you have paid 4x the amount).

But, ever since RCCL said "this is our policy"..... I do sometimes tip wait staff/steward more in cash but i never add anymore for a drink (usually its a beer, wine or simple gin/tonic) ESPECIALLY considering the fast rise in drink prices (let alone the price of cruise).

At some point, its a matter of principle- the ever rising cost of everything along with more and more people in the loop that expect an additional tip. I have heard of entertainers and people giving classes (yoga for ex) on ships wrapping up the show/class with flat out asking for tips.......

If not, why?

Apples and oranges. If I have the drink package on a ship, that 18% I pay up front doesn't cover the amount of service I get...nor the alcohol. Just sayin'... ;)

Edited by Big_G

As the OP, let me clarify a few things.

The original reason I posted this question was as a result of the recent review I read that there were huge crowds of Spring Breakers at the bars and it was impossible to get a drink. We are doing the prepaid drink plan.

My intent with the initial post was in a way to be able to get ahead of a pile of crazy college kids and be able to get a drink without wading through all of them and fighting for a drink. So was I indirectly referring to a bribe? I suppose I was without realizing it.

On past cruises I would add an extra tip on the slip I signed depending upon the bartender. However, I always wondered if they were actually getting that $.

After reviewing all the comments on this post, I have come to a completely different outlook on tipping with cash. My plan is to use cash to give the bartenders and servers some extra cash above and beyond the 18% (which they do not get all of).

This has been a great discussion of tipping and bribing and cutting in line! :D

Best part? One week and a wake up till we are on the Indy!

Apples and oranges. If I have the drink package on a ship, that 18% I pay up front doesn't cover the amount of service I get...nor the alcohol. Just sayin'... ;)

No it isn't apples and oranges.... Gratuities are gratuities whether you are adding them or the establishment adds them for you automatically.

The 18% is for the service. Rather than guessing whether or not they will get 0 or 20% tip- they have decided to automatically place an 18% tip on every drink order.

I believe the intent was a win-win scenario for customers and staff in that we dont have to be burdened with math (especially on drinks 5 or 6 :D) and they were guaranteed a base-line of 18% of sales.

Anyone can tip more, but I don't think its "unfair" not too and there should NOT be an expectation of more.

The original reason I posted this question was as a result of the recent review I read that there were huge crowds of Spring Breakers at the bars and it was impossible to get a drink. We are doing the prepaid drink plan.

My intent with the initial post was in a way to be able to get ahead of a pile of crazy college kids and be able to get a drink without wading through all of them and fighting for a drink. So was I indirectly referring to a bribe? I suppose I was without realizing it.

On past cruises I would add an extra tip on the slip I signed depending upon the bartender. However, I always wondered if they were actually getting that $.

After reviewing all the comments on this post, I have come to a completely different outlook on tipping with cash. My plan is to use cash to give the bartenders and servers some extra cash above and beyond the 18% (which they do not get all of).

You'll be just fine!

In my experience, tipping a buck or two has resulted in bar tenders and servers recognizing me and remembering what I normally drink. So when they are busy they'll either ask if I'm ready for another or even put a beer in front of me while I'm waiting. I'm not bribing them. They just know I'm a good appreciative passenger. In 2014 on the Celebrity Reflection three bartenders knew me so well they quit asking me for my card. YMMV.

Have a great cruise.

Cheers

No it isn't apples and oranges.... Gratuities are gratuities whether you are adding them or the establishment adds them for you automatically.

The 18% is for the service. Rather than guessing whether or not they will get 0 or 20% tip- they have decided to automatically place an 18% tip on every drink order.

I believe the intent was a win-win scenario for customers and staff in that we dont have to be burdened with math (especially on drinks 5 or 6 :D) and they were guaranteed a base-line of 18% of sales.

For me, just me mind you, the 18% gets pretty thin by the time I reach my last drink of the day but the service has to be there too. If I get a slow and/or grumpy bartender, it ain't happening.

Anyone can tip more, but I don't think its "unfair" not too and there should NOT be an expectation of more.

...and I wholeheartedly agree with that.

I am with you on this. I do tip extra if I get fast friendly service, like a cash dollar or two. Thus, not all visits to bar or all servers get the cash tip.

I've always tipped above and beyond whether I had the drink package or not. On Indy, I did the majority of my drinking at the Champagne Bar because it was right outside the dining hall and I found I really liked the bartenders there. On night one, I tipped the bartender $10 told him he'd be my guy for the week and then throughout the week I'd tip him or any of his guys who helped me $1 per drink. I usually had mixed drinks, but also liked the occasional Blue Moon which they didn't keep there. After the first night, they always kept a couple Blue Moons under the bar for me in case I wanted one. I did find that the service was much better and many times they'd make me a drink without me saying anything.

While I realize that not everyone agrees with this, I didn't mind the added expense and found it worked well for me. Not to mention, these guys gave amazing service throughout the week and busted their tails working long hours, I felt like they deserved it. Enjoy the Indy, it's a great ship!

• 1 month later...

Tipping up front for food and drinks makes no sense but I always give our stateroom attendant $20 on the first day.. He will hook you up with extras and it's appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tipping up front for food and drinks makes no sense but I always give our stateroom attendant $20 on the first day.. He will hook you up with extras and it's appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What are the extra's? I've usually been content with stateroom attendants and added some more along the way or at the end. Curious what I get by "priming the pump" :confused: