Airport transfers question

CruisinCadie

We always fly in a day before our cruise. If we stay at our preferred hotel by the San Francisco airport, it's much cheaper than staying near the port. They also offer a shuttle from to/from the hotel to the airport. So if we get back to the airport in the morning, can we pay Princess for transfers to the ship, even though we aren't using Princess Air?

I am also posting on the San Francisco board asking for hotel recommendations. Our daughter lives in the bay area so we have seen most of the sights, but her family will be out of town before our cruise so we can't stay with them.

Thanks,

Kathy

yes you can go back to the airport and use the Princess shuttle. However there may be less expensive options, me personally I would take BART from the airport to Embarcardo and walk. As to things to do if you haven't been to Alcatraz it is worth doing but you need to make a reservation early as they sell out. There are also free walking tours of the various neighborhoods given by the SF Library. Lots of hotels near the airport, we have stayed at the Marriott.

If you want to use the Princess shuttle to the pier . You'll have to pre book and pay in advance . The Princess staff don't have any way of collecting money from you . The number of buses they use will depend on the number of transfers bought and paid for. They don't do walk ups.

Why not use one of the shared shuttles from the airport to the pier ? They are cheaper than Princess shuttles.

The walk from the Embarcadero BART Station to Pier 27 is a very pleasant, but very flat 1.25 miles, which may be a consideration. I would certainly use BART in this case (and have within the last year, but it is worth knowing.

We always fly in a day before our cruise. If we stay at our preferred hotel by the San Francisco airport, it's much cheaper than staying near the port. They also offer a shuttle from to/from the hotel to the airport. So if we get back to the airport in the morning, can we pay Princess for transfers to the ship, even though we aren't using Princess Air?

I am also posting on the San Francisco board asking for hotel recommendations. Our daughter lives in the bay area so we have seen most of the sights, but her family will be out of town before our cruise so we can't stay with them.

Thanks,

Kathy

Yes, when in baggage claim find the Princess rep and they will add you to the transfer. It is usually charged to your onboard account.

If you want to use the Princess shuttle to the pier . You'll have to pre book and pay in advance . The Princess staff don't have any way of collecting money from you . The number of buses they use will depend on the number of transfers bought and paid for. They don't do walk ups.

Why not use one of the shared shuttles from the airport to the pier ? They are cheaper than Princess shuttles.

Of course they do walk ups.

They charge your ship board account.

Yes, you can book the transfer now from the airport, and just show up nice and early on embarkation day. We have done this. When you arrive in the day before, you will likely encounter a Princess rep greeting other pax, and you can ask where and when to meet the next day. Then, show up an hour earlier than what they tell you! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did this in New York as this was the cheapest option. We stayed in New Jersey overnight which had a free shuttle back to the airport. We put in a flight time into our cruise personalizer of when we wanted to head to the ship. It was no problem at all.

But transfers from SFO to the pier are pretty cheap. I think Lorie's always has specials on Groupon and Super Shuttle is also another consideration. You may not even have to go back to the airport from your hotel. But if you do choose the Princess transfers, this is definitely doable.

yes you can go back to the airport and use the Princess shuttle. However there may be less expensive options, me personally I would take BART from the airport to Embarcardo and walk. As to things to do if you haven't been to Alcatraz it is worth doing but you need to make a reservation early as they sell out. There are also free walking tours of the various neighborhoods given by the SF Library. Lots of hotels near the airport, we have stayed at the Marriott.

Thanks for the suggestion but walking can be an issue for us as seniors. We are also willing to pay the cost of a shuttle rather than struggle with our luggage.

We've been to SF many times and seen Alcatraz. I agree, it's definitely a must-see.

Having checked flight times, we'll be getting in mid-afternoon and somehow I can't see just hanging around the hotel, so I'm also considering hotels around Fisherman's Wharf.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Kathy