Canceling a cruise

Jean1946

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]OP didn't say who the insurance was with, but did say that it wasn't HAL.
3rd party insurance can be purchased at final payment, if not closer to sailing. It does not need to be purchased within a short time after deposit unless you want pre-existing condition coverage. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

For medical coverage one should always get pre-existing condition coverage.

[quote name='dakrewser']For medical coverage one should always get pre-existing condition coverage.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I don't disagree. However, that is a choice, and not a requirement for travel (including medical) insurance.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes, it is HAL insurance and here's what the official HAL message is about it. Notice that the Platinum plan is included in these rules.

"The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Plans are optional and are available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue."

...and the cancellation fees begin to accrue at the time of final payment.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I must have misread. Sorry. :o

In that case, your TA was absolutely incorrect to purchase the insurance before the day before final payment. Now, to correct her error....
Is it possible, since you intend to deposit another cruise anyway, the TA wants you to do that while on the next cruise (which, IIRC was your plan), so that there's something to transfer the insurance to? That it can't just be held in abeyance after canceling, until you do book?
If so, it would make sense to hold off on the cancelation, and you go ahead and book a new cruise (without the insurance!).

If not, then I would think the TA, the agency, or their business insurance, should cover your loss.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes, that's what she thinks might work better, to try and do it on the ship. However, at no time has she admitted that she made a bad decision in the first place. It'll be interesting to see if she emails me today. Actually, when I'm trying to book something she takes care of it even if she's at home and it's on a week-end. So perhaps she's just scurrying about trying to figure it all out so that she doesn't come across looking like the bad guy.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][quote name='sail7seas'][B] It is inexcusable how long you waited to get your refund. I'm happy they finally put the credit through.

[/B][/QUOTE]
The failure to give me my Refund in a reasonable time was "NOT" B of A, but in someone's "In Basket" in Hal's Office!;)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='silvercruiser']It's HAL insurance and for the TA to add it on to my deposit in December for a cruise the next October, ten months away, is just stupid.[/QUOTE]

I just came home from the Oosterdam TA and booked another on board for December. The future cruise consultant advised me NOT to pay for insurance until final payment. Same scenario for every HAL cruise I book.

NOTE to sail7seas: We had no problem getting reservations for four in Canaletto for both formal nights and for the time we desired.

[quote name='dakrewser']For medical coverage one should always get pre-existing condition coverage.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by medical coverage. You don't need pre-existing coverage if you have a cancellation for any reason policy, which HAL does have. If by medical coverage, you mean medical bills (as opposed to cancellation for medical reasons), wouldn't something like Med-Jet be cheaper?

[quote name='Tampa Girl']I'm not sure what you mean by medical coverage. You don't need pre-existing coverage if you have a cancellation for any reason policy, which HAL does have. If by medical coverage, you mean medical bills (as opposed to cancellation for medical reasons), wouldn't something like Med-Jet be cheaper?[/QUOTE]

MedJet does not provide medical care. It provides medical transportation from the hospital to which you were first admitted to a hospital of your choice anywhere in the world.

This is a quote from the MedJet site -

"A medical mishap can happen anywhere.
When and where serious medical emergencies occur are out of our control. Yet for some reason, when we imagine a medical situation, we tend to imagine being surrounded by family and friends, under the care of our own doctor. The numbers tell a different story. Serious accidents and illnesses can often happen away from home, leaving victims unprepared, frightened and alone. An urgent situation can quickly compound into a devastating upheaval of miscommunication and medical mishaps.

We can get you home.
A MedjetAssist membership is your guardian, your protection and your peace of mind in a medical crisis. As the premier global air-medical transport membership program in the U.S., we provide a calm path through the chaos. If you are hospitalized more than 150 miles from home, MedjetAssist will facilitate getting you back to your home country hospital of choice from virtually anywhere in the world."

DON

[quote name='Tampa Girl']I'm not sure what you mean by medical coverage. You don't need pre-existing coverage if you have a cancellation for any reason policy, which HAL does have. If by medical coverage, you mean medical bills (as opposed to cancellation for medical reasons), wouldn't something like Med-Jet be cheaper?[/quote]

Medical coverage is medical insurance, you know doctors, nurses, ambulances and Med-Jet-like coverage. Med-Jet membership, by itself, isn't worth it unless you travel 40-50% of the time.