Purchase Upgrade?

lakeliving501

First cruise in over 20 years! Booked thru large TA and would like to check cost of upgrade for our cruise - Equinox 5/9/16 out of Barcelona. We are booked in Concierge, but I am interested in surprising my DH with a suite. Called Celebrity and they referred me back to my TA *duh - what was I expecting since I did book with TA*. Called TA - although Celebrity says there are several suite options available, TA says only 1 and priced higher than Celebrity. Am I out of luck?

I've learned so much reading these boards - thank you in advance for your help!

Ellen

Edited by lakeliving501

Unless I'm missing something, you should be able to get the same price or suite you were told was available. Did you try doing a dummy booking to see what the cost of a suite would be, or were you quoted over the phone by Celebrity? If you could find the lower price or suite you want online, maybe get a screenshot and send it to your TA.

I'm finding Celebrity Suite 1233 at $4399 pp, Sky Suite 2151 (corner aft) at $4699 pp. You may want to put a courtesy hold on whichever you want so it's not gone by morning if you can't reach your TA right away.

First cruise in over 20 years! Booked thru large TA and would like to check cost of upgrade for our cruise - Equinox 5/9/16 out of Barcelona. We are booked in Concierge, but I am interested in surprising my DH with a suite. Called Celebrity and they referred me back to my TA *duh - what was I expecting since I did book with TA*. Called TA - although Celebrity says there are several suite options available, TA says only 1 and priced higher than Celebrity. Am I out of luck?

I've learned so much reading these boards - thank you in advance for your help!

Ellen

If it's a large TA I'd call back and speak with someone else. If they say no, have them three way with a Celebrity.

Fortunately, I think we have a great TA. Here is my experience on a cruise starting the end of April in Italy. We were in a RS that we booked over a year ago (at a premium of course). About 2 months ago (before final payment) I saw the RS had dropped significantly so called TA. They contacted Celebrity and - BAM instant significant cost reduction (first good deed by TA). I kept checking after final payment hoping RS would go down more but knowing I would not get the reduced price for RS. Rather I was hoping to score an "upsell" at a good price to the one PH remaining. The PH was still more than I paid but was hoping to "get a deal" as they say. Called TA who called Celebrity (while I was holding) and TA came back and said Celebrity wanted over $1000 more for the PH. Well, did not take it cause happy with RS. Ten days later I saw the PH had decreased in price (I was really surprised it was still available). Thought what the heck, call again. I called our TA and once again they called Celebrity while I was on the phone. TA came back and said you are not going to believe this - free upgrade for no cost (second good deed) and TA asked if I wanted it? Well, Duh! Anyway, to make a really long story short - sometimes you have to be persistent, keep checking, and have the right TA. I think back to our first cruises when I did not know much and was not aware of Cruise Critic. If only I had known about this site, I probably would have been much "luckier" years ago. I learned from many folks here - reserve what you will be happy with and then check and hope for the good fairy to find you.

Fortunately, I think we have a great TA. Here is my experience on a cruise starting the end of April in Italy. We were in a RS that we booked over a year ago (at a premium of course). About 2 months ago (before final payment) I saw the RS had dropped significantly so called TA. They contacted Celebrity and - BAM instant significant cost reduction (first good deed by TA). I kept checking after final payment hoping RS would go down more but knowing I would not get the reduced price for RS. Rather I was hoping to score an "upsell" at a good price to the one PH remaining. The PH was still more than I paid but was hoping to "get a deal" as they say. Called TA who called Celebrity (while I was holding) and TA came back and said Celebrity wanted over $1000 more for the PH. Well, did not take it cause happy with RS. Ten days later I saw the PH had decreased in price (I was really surprised it was still available). Thought what the heck, call again. I called our TA and once again they called Celebrity while I was on the phone. TA came back and said you are not going to believe this - free upgrade for no cost (second good deed) and TA asked if I wanted it? Well, Duh! Anyway, to make a really long story short - sometimes you have to be persistent, keep checking, and have the right TA. I think back to our first cruises when I did not know much and was not aware of Cruise Critic. If only I had known about this site, I probably would have been much "luckier" years ago. I learned from many folks here - reserve what you will be happy with and then check and hope for the good fairy to find you.

Good story!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cruise to Relax - that is an awesome story! That's what I will do. It's so nice to have such great encouragement and advice like this!

DriveslikeMario - I was pretty upset! Not super customer service at all from my perspective. I'll bet had I pressed book a cruise instead of already reserved, I wouldn't have been on hold that long!

I called back. They offered me the CS 1233 but not a good enough incentive - I was not expecting free, but was hoping for something off published rate. While waiting, TA realized that Celebrity and TA had not entered our names correctly on something (everything I have copies of is correct)? SO, I have been dealing with Celebrity's fine website. That is how TA and Celebrity told me to fix it (over my pleas that the website has never worked properly or efficiently for me). Chin up! I am happy with the room I booked and if an upgrade that I am willing to pay for comes my way, that will be great.

In the meantime, off the deal with celebrity's lovely site![emoji15]

I am the same way. I watch the prices all the time with hopes of maybe getting an upgrade or added perks. Sometimes it takes more than one call but usually with success. I have already been able to score added perks for my 2017 cruise. No price change yet!!

We are 16 days out and there are still available cabins in veranda and concierge so I just keep checking. With my upcoming cruise we took select dining so our one perk was prepaid gratuities. When Celebrity changed their policy that you no longer had to pay the gratuities up front I called to ask if we could not change our perk to OBC. I was told no but they did change it for our 2017 cruise. Well last week called again and asked if I could modify the perk from prepaid gratuities to OBC and the answer was yes. Persistence pays off!!

Last year we took an inside cabin...I know...and were bumped to veranda at no charge...score!!!

Let's see what happens in the next two weeks!! If nothing happens that's ok too because we are on vacation and better yet a cruise!!

I agree with you kennedybren about persistence. But I have to say that a good TA is important. I am on our 4th TA because the others just did not seem to want to do anything after the cruise was booked. One was a local TA and she was nice but no real perks. One was an online TA through a major credit card. Hard to contact. One was a "TA" for the cruise line - big mistake and never again. Not really sure who they worked for. But that was before I was "enlightened" with Cruise Critic information. The one I have now is a warehouse online TA. They have been helpful - before booking and after. Plus they do provide great OBC and perks - in addition to the cruise line. Yes, I was lucky and it does not always happen that way. But it has happened twice for us now (RS upgrade to PH) with the same TA so gotta like them. Happy cruising.

It's next to impossible for TAs to monitor all cruise ships, all sailings and all category price changes. It's much better to be pro-active on it yourself. A good TA will get back to you within a few hours at the longest. They are your advocate and are there to make it a spectacular cruise for you!

OP - Hang in there. You never know - they may offer last-minute upsells that would be much more reasonably priced. I agree with you - I'm not willing to pay $2000 more for a suite. Been there/done that and I just feel I don't have to have one anymore. Think of all the money you're saving by NOT booking the CS! That's almost enough for another cruise! ;)

I called back. They offered me the CS 1233 but not a good enough incentive - I was not expecting free, but was hoping for something off published rate

So was it $4399, and was that higher than Celebrity quoted, or lower than your TA quoted, or what?:confused:

Sorry. Just got reservation back straight. Every time I call and they look at my reservation, my "go best" is deleted. Today was a good day - only took about 45 minutes to fix [emoji849]

They wanted a right at that. Like I said, I didn't expect anything to be free. OI will check again, but will be aware that each time I do, it will take extra time to fix on computer system - they said it's a glitch in Celebrity's system.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - it was the advertised price. Like I said, I am willing to pay extra and was just checking. I am happy with what I booked and as the other poster said, I can consider booking another cruise for the difference (or at least part of it)

Thank you all so much for your invaluable input and advice in this and the many other posts I've read on CC!

Sorry. Just got reservation back straight. Every time I call and they look at my reservation, my "go best" is deleted. Today was a good day - only took about 45 minutes to fix [emoji849]

They wanted a right at that. Like I said, I didn't expect anything to be free. OI will check again, but will be aware that each time I do, it will take extra time to fix on computer system - they said it's a glitch in Celebrity's system.

How did you know that your Go Best keeps disappearing. You should not be able to see into your reservation online if you booked with a TA. All I can see is that my cruise is booked, and the category. :confused: This has me worried because my TA called Celebrity the other day about getting a lower rate on our stateroom.

Edited by Iamthesea

My TA told me *and then asked which package I booked * and when I looked at my reservation on TA site, it was not there. So strange, the only explanation that given to me was that there was a glitch in Celebrity's system and that every time someone at TA accessed my reservation, it dropped off Go Best. Funny, it had also dropped off my OBC from TA as well.

Last time this happened *this has occurred more than once on same trip planning* I asked for and received a copy of paid in full listing go best from Celebrity *through the TA* as well as from the TA. It's printed and in my folder to be packed for trip :mad:

This said, I'm going to bring all of the documents with me - I really hope they are not needed, but at this point, I'm rather insecure (paranoid - lol). It's really sad, I've spent so much time focused on fixing these issues that it does take away from my excitement to a degree. Can any of you tell me why I don't see the OBC or gratuity on when I log into Celebrity's site? I did book and pay for Go Best - it does show unlimited internet and premium beverages.

Keep in mind, we are not seasoned cruisers. If I had not used the resources of all of you on CC, I'm not sure where we would be now. I'm grateful

IME, that's not a Celebrity problem but a problem with your TA's software system or those that enter the information or manage it there.

I never see my perks listed anywhere on Celebrity's site. I just go by the Celebrity invoice. If everything is right there, then you're good to go. Maybe someone else knows where to find them on Celebrity's website.