Opinions on my choice of Manhattan hotels

TSUmom

I know I have plenty of time but I am a planner. We will be staying 3 days pre cruise and I have narrowed my hotel choices down to 4. I am looking for opinions and thoughts. We want to stay some place centrally located and focus on one area each of our 3 days. Our choices are Ink48, Holiday Inn on 57th, Holiday Inn on 48th and LaQuinta on 32nd. We are also open to any suggestions.

I know I have plenty of time but I am a planner. We will be staying 3 days pre cruise and I have narrowed my hotel choices down to 4. I am looking for opinions and thoughts. We want to stay some place centrally located and focus on one area each of our 3 days. Our choices are Ink48, Holiday Inn on 57th, Holiday Inn on 48th and LaQuinta on 32nd. We are also open to any suggestions.

Centrally located = La Quinta

IMO Ink and Holiday Inn 48th are too far west for good transportation connections.

Where are you going on each of your 3 days?

What are you planning to do while in the city? Why those hotels? Those are fairly different properties.

I'm a big fan of Kimpton properties, but Ink 48 just seems to far west for me.

Centrally located = La Quinta

IMO Ink and Holiday Inn 48th are too far west for good transportation connections.

Where are you going on each of your 3 days?

We will be there in April flying in on a Friday night. Not sure which order we will do these things. One day we want to see the Statue of Liberty (and climb the crown), Ellis Island and the 9/11 memorial. Another day we plan on a lot of walking. ESB, St Patricks, Rockefeller Center, Strawberry Fields and the Dakota and some of Central Park and Grand Central. Ambitious I know... We also thought maybe hopping on the HOHO but not sure about how much time we will have. I know we are trying to see and do so much in a few days so on 3rd day we have not planned anything in case we run short on time with the first two we can always use that day.

My DH wants to have New York Pizza, eat from a food truck and we want to ride the subway once....

Thank you for your input on La Quinta. I was leaning toward that or Inks48, we thought about walking to the cruise terminal from there (Inks48) instead of hiring a cab.

We will be there in April flying in on a Friday night. Not sure which order we will do these things. One day we want to see the Statue of Liberty (and climb the crown), Ellis Island and the 9/11 memorial. Another day we plan on a lot of walking. ESB, St Patricks, Rockefeller Center, Strawberry Fields and the Dakota and some of Central Park and Grand Central. Ambitious I know... We also thought maybe hopping on the HOHO but not sure about how much time we will have. I know we are trying to see and do so much in a few days so on 3rd day we have not planned anything in case we run short on time with the first two we can always use that day.

My DH wants to have New York Pizza, eat from a food truck and we want to ride the subway once....

Thank you for your input on La Quinta. I was leaning toward that or Inks48, we thought about walking to the cruise terminal from there (Inks48) instead of hiring a cab.

I would never pick a Manhattan hotel so I could walk to the cruise terminal trolling luggage! And I'm a big public transit user, but there are times to spend money on a cab in NYC and going from a hotel to the pier with luggage would be one of them for me.

The La Quinta is close to the Herald Square subway station where you can take the downtown R train to South Ferry for the SOL. Coming back from the World Trade Center area you can catch the R train at Cortlandt St. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

The La Quinta is right near the Empire State where you can start your walk up 5th Ave towards Grand Central, St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center etc. If you end up on Central Park West at the Dakota you can take the B train right back to Herald Square.

Don't discount the buses either. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Somewhere on these boards I read of people doing just that, walking to the port.

I am sure I am missing so many things to see and do, like museums, but with so little time I could not enjoy them. I don't want to be so rushed that I am unable to just take in the sights and sounds. I guess I will just plan on a 2nd cruise from New York.

Looking at a map I will take your advice and start at the LaQuinta and pass by the ESB, Public Library,St Patricks and Rockefeller plus Radio City is close all on the way to Central Park. We could return down 7th ave through the Theater Dist. and Broadway.

What are your thoughts on Hells Kitchen?

This is a repeat from an earlier post:

OK, this is edited from earlier posts, and I finally put it all in one location. This is not a short walk, but you see a lot of things, and experience New York at street level. At some point on one of our trips, I realized that even though this goes through multiple neighborhoods in the tour books, there's a lot to see on a relatively simple route.

From Penn Station (or the surrounding area), head to 34th. Macy’s sits between Broadway and 7th Avenue. Continue down 34th through Herald Square, and you'll pass the Empire State Building. You can elect to go up the ESB, or save this for the Top of the Rock. Either way, turn right on Fifth Avenue through Murray Hill to the Flatiron Building, generally considered the first skyscraper. Do an about face and head up Fifth Avenue. Along the way, you'll pass the New York Public Library near 44th; well worth a detour! If you want to see Grand Central Station, hang a right towards Lexington and check it out; return to Fifth Avenue and continue north. You'll run into Rockefeller Center and Saks. In or near Rockefeller Center, you have the Top of the Rock, Radio City Music Hall, etc. We've been to both the observation deck at the ESB and the Top of the Rock, and frankly the Top of the Rock is better. Do one or the other as you see fit. Go back to Fifth Avenue, and directly across the street is Saks Fifth Avenue, and across the street from it is St Patrick’s. Continue up Fifth Avenue, and pick a shop or two that interests you. Amongst others, you'll pass Tiffany, which is worth a stop (and has clean bathrooms on the second floor!). At about 59th, you’ll see the Apple megastore, and across Fifth Avenue is the Plaza. You're now at the corner of Central Park. I'd cross into the park, and check out a map to get to the Mall and the Bethesda Terrace. That’s an easy walk and you’ll see a nice bit of the park.

At this point in time, check your time and your legs. The Met is right there, but it will eat the rest of your day. Across the park (and a fairly easy walk) is Strawberry Fields and the “Imagine” memorial. Not really much to see, but it is there. I'd probably backtrack to 59th and make a right to 7th Avenue, and head down 7th into Times Square. You’ll pass Carnegie Hall on the way. My personal detour at this point would be to turn down 44th and have a late meal at John's Pizzeria for some amazing New York pizza in an incredible setting. It's supposedly the largest pizzeria in the world, in a decommissioned church.

Assuming you've done some shopping along the way, you should be pretty much exhausted at this point, and coming close to your time. Check out a NYC map; there were optional turns along that route to the UN, for instance. MOMA is on 53rd between Fifth and Sixth.

From the Times Square area, continue down 7th or Broadway to Penn Station.

That’s probably 3 1/2 to 4 miles or so, depending on how far you go into the park, and will take a good chunk of the day, especially if you make stops and side trips.

Do keep in mind that places to eat, and most importantly, bathrooms, get scarce north of about 52nd on Fifth Avenue. The department stores and Tiffany have bathrooms. Eateries will generally speaking be on the side streets. There is a food court in the lower level of the Plaza.

Somewhere on these boards I read of people doing just that, walking to the port.

I am sure I am missing so many things to see and do, like museums, but with so little time I could not enjoy them. I don't want to be so rushed that I am unable to just take in the sights and sounds. I guess I will just plan on a 2nd cruise from New York.

Looking at a map I will take your advice and start at the LaQuinta and pass by the ESB, Public Library,St Patricks and Rockefeller plus Radio City is close all on the way to Central Park. We could return down 7th ave through the Theater Dist. and Broadway.

What are your thoughts on Hells Kitchen?

Hells Kitchen would not be on my "must do" list. Walking down Broadway would be on my list.

"Hells Kitchen" there's nothing to see. I go there when we are seeing a Broadway show because there are several moderately priced restaurants there

Ok Hells kitchen is out. Soho, Little Italy or Chinatown worth it with my short time?

Ok Hells kitchen is out. Soho, Little Italy or Chinatown worth it with my short time?

These could be part of your downtown day.

Next topic - Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and 911 Memorial. You do need to book crown tickets early, but you're not going for 13 months. Check the web site to see when they will sell tickets - https://www.statuecruises.com/#/

911 memorial area is open late, so do that after the SOL and Ellis Island. You need to take the subway to South Ferry to maximize your time. After the SOL my suggestion would be to walk through Battery Park to Bowling Green Park and north on Broadway. Pop down Wall Street to see the Federal Building and Stock Exchange. Continue up Broadway, pop into Trinity Church, and then cut through the graveyard to Church St to continue to the 911 area. If you have time you can walk to Chinatown on Canal St past St Paul's Chapel, the Woolworth Building, and City Hall. I haven't done this in a while so I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

There really isn't any Little Italy left. If you enjoy Chinese food you can eat a meal in Chinatown after coming from Statue of Liberty. I don't recommend it but some tourists like the area for purchasing knockoff merchandise. SoHo is more trendy shops and restaurants.

There really isn't any Little Italy left. If you enjoy Chinese food you can eat a meal in Chinatown after coming from Statue of Liberty. I don't recommend it but some tourists like the area for purchasing knockoff merchandise. SoHo is more trendy shops and restaurants.

DH is not a shopper and I really don't want to waste precious time shopping. We will prob skip all three then. Thank you for your input!

Next topic - Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and 911 Memorial. You do need to book crown tickets early, but you're not going for 13 months. Check the web site to see when they will sell tickets - https://www.statuecruises.com/#/

911 memorial area is open late, so do that after the SOL and Ellis Island. You need to take the subway to South Ferry to maximize your time. After the SOL my suggestion would be to walk through Battery Park to Bowling Green Park and north on Broadway. Pop down Wall Street to see the Federal Building and Stock Exchange. Continue up Broadway, pop into Trinity Church, and then cut through the graveyard to Church St to continue to the 911 area. If you have time you can walk to Chinatown on Canal St past St Paul's Chapel, the Woolworth Building, and City Hall. I haven't done this in a while so I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Thank you I will print this too!!

You all have been so helpful. When I first booked this a month ago I was excited, then over whelmed because I did not know where to begin. Then I got a tourist map and it all started to come together but still seemed impossible to see everything. That is why we decided 3 days pre cruise but I still felt like it was not possible.

With all of your help and ideas and itineraries it actually seems possible. I cant thank you all enough, I am excited about New York again!!

I am sure I will be back with more questions. Thanks for the tip on crown tickets. I looked earlier and it is about 6 months before my trip that I can purchase them. It is on my to do list

Markeb thank you for that repost. Sounds pretty much what my plans are. I am going to print that.

You're welcome. Pull out a decent map/tour guide of Manhattan. I've lost track, but I believe Frommers is organized in a more "near here" fashion. Many of the guide books are organized by neighborhood, and if you're not aware, you'd miss that the Flat Iron District is only blocks from the ESB, as they're in different neighborhoods.

Carol's recommendation on Downtown is spot on.

If you have time, the other attraction to seriously consider is the Highline. Your days will be reasonably long that time of year, so you could possibly catch it in the Meatpacking District and walk it back to Midtown no later than twilight.

Is the highline where they took old railway tracks and turned them green? I have read something about that and thought it was interesting.

We jog 3 plus miles daily so luckily we are in shape for days of walking. I would personally rather walk as much as possible to be able to take all of it in.

Is the highline where they took old railway tracks and turned them green? I have read something about that and thought it was interesting.

We jog 3 plus miles daily so luckily we are in shape for days of walking. I would personally rather walk as much as possible to be able to take all of it in.

That's the one.

http://www.thehighline.org/visit

Oh, and NYC, and especially Manhattan, is a city best discovered on foot with the New Yorkers!

Somewhere on these boards I read of people doing just that, walking to the port ...

Depending on your final choice of hotel, and decision to walk to Pier 88/90, the pedestrian entrance is across 12th Avenue @ W. 48th Street, not W. 55th Street - it's easily a distance of a mile or so, 6 to 10 long city blocks north/south & then westward. April is early Spring, it can be nice & cool and usually good for a nice walk, rain gears needed - maybe.

For that 1+ mile walk, just make sure your luggage - rollers/spinners are sturdy & can survive the bumps on the sidewalk and crossing the streets multiple times, seriously ... unless you are strictly in backpack mode and you have strong backs (traveling light for a cruise ... most likely, not :D)

Got 2 nephews working at JFK and they see it all the time, folks with busted wheels on their "brand new" luggage coming off the plane - checked or otherwise. In short, just make sure your bags are sturdy & ready for that long journey - and, happy planning for the cruise !! ;)

Edited by mking8288

I agree with Carol, walking thru Bowling Green and you are on Broadway right in the "Canyon of Heros" where NYC Ticker tape parades take place. Remember to look over the doorways to Number 1 Broadway (and yes even and odd numbers are on both sides of the street) to see the different boarding classes for the shipping companies (now Citibank entrance). The Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House which is now a Smithsonian Museum and Bankruptcy court (poetic Museum is of the American Indian). Probably don't have time to visit but great architecture.

Just to name a few.

Would you suggest a taxi or subway back to the hotel?

Would you suggest a taxi or subway back to the hotel?

I would take the subway. The subways are very safe. I would try to avoid rush hour because they are overcrowded and it could be overwhelming if you are not used to it.