First cruise after a drydock, have you done it?

abisutton

So I'm sailing on the first triumph cruise out of NOLA, have fttf, and the 10-1030 check in time for the new staggered program which is the earliest offered. It just occurred to me that since the ship is coming from drydock that there will be no previous guests to disembark BEFORE they can start the embarkation. Since I'd like to enjoy as much time on the ship as possible, it's a short cruise, I was hoping to hear from others that got on a ship in the same situation! Thanks for any info you can share!!!!

We just got off the Triumph yesterday - what a wonderful ship! We did the Behind the Fun tour and when we asked what was going to be done during drydock we were told mostly cosmetics - in particular they said they were painting the hull of the ship (that's usually underwater while sailing). They were already starting preparations in the crew only areas on Wednesday to get ready so you they should be finished by the time you sail on her! Hoping you guys get on early!! Most employees said they were staying onboard during drydock since it's so short and were looking forward to getting their work assignments - so rooms could be ready pretty early! Have so much fun!

We just got off the Triumph yesterday - what a wonderful ship! We did the Behind the Fun tour and when we asked what was going to be done during drydock we were told mostly cosmetics - in particular they said they were painting the hull of the ship (that's usually underwater while sailing). They were already starting preparations in the crew only areas on Wednesday to get ready so you they should be finished by the time you sail on her! Hoping you guys get on early!! Most employees said they were staying onboard during drydock since it's so short and were looking forward to getting their work assignments - so rooms could be ready pretty early! Have so much fun!

Thanks!!

So I'm sailing on the first triumph cruise out of NOLA, have fttf, and the 10-1030 check in time for the new staggered program which is the earliest offered. It just occurred to me that since the ship is coming from drydock that there will be no previous guests to disembark BEFORE they can start the embarkation. Since I'd like to enjoy as much time on the ship as possible, it's a short cruise, I was hoping to hear from others that got on a ship in the same situation! Thanks for any info you can share!!!!

Don't like to do it because sometimes there are issues.

We were on the inaugural cruise of the Sunshine (after it was revamped and re-christened) for our Mediterranean cruise and it was a nightmare to say the least! Our rooms weren't finished (ceiling tiles were missing, no carpet in the hallway, leaks in the room, phones didn't work, 50-55 degrees in our room the entire cruise). There is a lot more I could write about, but the bottom line is I would never do the first cruise after a dry-dock. Actually, the initial inaugural cruise had been canceled, so we had the misfortune of being the first victims/cruisers. We figured something was up when they treated the people in the Spa balcony cabins, and other areas that were affected, to lunch in the steakhouse and gave us all the wine we could drink. We literally slept in our Carnival robes, under blankets for the entire cruise. We did get 20% refunded, which was great, but I sure wish it hadn't happened on our once in a lifetime cruise!

Did it once, and never again.

They didn't finish, so we actually sailed with the construction crew, many public places being closed while they worked. The noise and smells were too much.

Any cruises I have booked since gets scrutinized for dry docks sailing and partial group cruises. We almost got stuck on one Richards Simmons cruise on CCL, and a Rosie O'Donnell cruise on NCL.

We were on the Legend after its drydock for some 2.0 upgrades. Long, long wait for embarkation because there were not enough customs agents to process all the workers leaving. Green Thunder and Sushi place not finished and didn't open until last sea day. Noticed that the ship seemed dirtier than the previous time we had sailed on her. We will try to avoid a cruise after drydock in the future.

I sailed on the Fascination after a dry dock, had no issues at all. The ship looked and smelled really clean, new carpet, etc. I will be sailing on the Sunshine after her dry dock in May, and I am not worried about it at all.. I will be on vacation!

I sailed on the Fascination after a dry dock, had no issues at all. The ship looked and smelled really clean, new carpet, etc. I will be sailing on the Sunshine after her dry dock in May, and I am not worried about it at all.. I will be on vacation!

One shouldn't reduce their standards just because one is on vacation. It fact, it should be the opposite.

As I'm sure you recognize , cruise lines hate giving up cruises and so the drydock schedule is rushed .

I have been on 2 cruise where the refurb was 2 and 3 cruises prior and yet they were still finishing up .

It was not a big issue but I did wonder what it was like for the first cruise back .

One cruise had them installing the corridor carpeting for the entire cruise . The cabin carpets had been

done earlier . The smell of glue was significant but it was fine in the cabin .

Did it once, and never again.

They didn't finish, so we actually sailed with the construction crew, many public places being closed while they worked. The noise and smells were too much.

Any cruises I have booked since gets scrutinized for dry docks sailing and partial group cruises. We almost got stuck on one Richards Simmons cruise on CCL, and a Rosie O'Donnell cruise on NCL.

I'm smiling thinking about what a Richards Simmons or Rosie O'Donnell cruise would be like . :eek:

As I'm sure you recognize , cruise lines hate giving up cruises and so the drydock schedule is rushed .

I have been on 2 cruise where the refurb was 2 and 3 cruises prior and yet they were still finishing up .

It was not a big issue but I did wonder what it was like for the first cruise back .

One cruise had them installing the corridor carpeting for the entire cruise . The cabin carpets had been

done earlier . The smell of glue was significant but it was fine in the cabin .

That's why an educated cruiser would avoid them. And announcing them would force the fares to be lower.

We were on the Legend after its drydock for some 2.0 upgrades. Long, long wait for embarkation because there were not enough customs agents to process all the workers leaving. Green Thunder and Sushi place not finished and didn't open until last sea day. Noticed that the ship seemed dirtier than the previous time we had sailed on her. We will try to avoid a cruise after drydock in the future.

We were on that cruise with you & you took the words right out of my mouth.

What a mess & so noisy.

We were in the same cabin the week before & then came back to the same cabin. Will say we did get a new mattress but the room was so dusty.

Very late embarkation & late leaving.

A lot of the crew was so tired, no air sleeping on deck party time. Some of the new kids said I can't do this again.

We will be on the 04/04 also. This will be our second cruise after a dry dock, last time on the Lengend there were no issues getting to the port and on board. The ship was ready to go no big issues, everything was open. Hopefully it will be the same this time.

One shouldn't reduce their standards just because one is on vacation. It fact, it should be the opposite.

I said nothing of lowering my standards, I am just saying for me, it was not an issue on my first sailing after a dry dock. Things were clean, rooms and public areas had new carpet, and the ship smelled and looked clean. It was a routine hotel maintenance dry dock, not one where they did any 2.0 upgrades or anything, so there was no construction or construction crew.

I am aware that there is a possibility of that after a dry dock, but for me it is no big deal. I am still going to enjoy my vacation, as I am not one to find fault in everything that does not meet "standards", which, are very arbitrary.. Different strokes for different folks.

It seems like ALL the cruise lines employ the 80:20 law with drydocks. Get 80% done at drydock, and the other 20% can be handled with guests onboard. Obviously the goal is not to have to do 20% of the work with guests onboard, but it happens frequently.

My general rule of thumb:

No cruises within last few weeks before a drydock.

No cruises out of dry dock for at least one month.

No new ships for at least six months.

You can read negative stories about post drydock cruises in every subforum on here; from Carnival right up to the $$$$ luxury lines.

Unless that's all your schedule allows, or it is some huge discount compared to other weeks, I say avoid because it's a crap shoot.

Rereading these posts I believe we may have overstated the risks of taking "the first cruise back ".

OP , people tend to comment on problems but not when all goes as planned . There are vast amounts of comments on CC warning you not to do this or that . Don't fly in the day of the cruise , don't disembark in Jamaica , don't cruise prior to a drydock, don't cruise during hurrican season (that's my favorite :D) and hundreds of other well intentioned advice . And yes ship happens, but not normally .

If this cruise works for you , take it ! Your odds are good .

Rereading these posts I believe we may have overstated the risks of taking "the first cruise back ".

OP , people tend to comment on problems but not when all goes as planned . There are vast amounts of comments on CC warning you not to do this or that . Don't fly in the day of the cruise , don't disembark in Jamaica , don't cruise prior to a drydock, don't cruise during hurrican season (that's my favorite :D) and hundreds of other well intentioned advice . And yes ship happens, but not normally .

If this cruise works for you , take it ! Your odds are good .

I agree. Just want to add though that if there is an option, TAKE IT.