Courtyard Elizabeth NJ. I have few questions

queenL

We're staying at Courtyard Elizabeth for our pre-cruise stay. Not much luck finding shuttle service to the pier. Will we be able to get a cab that will accommodate 6 (plus luggage)? I'd rather not split into 2 groups.

Will there be a drug store/grocery store near the hotel? I know it's next to the mall. However, I'd like to buy bottled water/drinks etc so I don't have to carry that stuff on the plane.

Post-cruise we would like to do a little sightseeing in the Times Square area. Possibly considering the HOHO for additional tourist stops. What would be the most cost effective way to get there?

We're staying at Courtyard Elizabeth for our pre-cruise stay. Not much luck finding shuttle service to the pier. Will we be able to get a cab that will accommodate 6 (plus luggage)? I'd rather not split into 2 groups.

Will there be a drug store/grocery store near the hotel? I know it's next to the mall. However, I'd like to buy bottled water/drinks etc so I don't have to carry that stuff on the plane.

Post-cruise we would like to do a little sightseeing in the Times Square area. Possibly considering the HOHO for additional tourist stops. What would be the most cost effective way to get there?

Did you contact these folks for transportation?

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com

No drug store/grocery store

Could you clarify your post cruise plans? Are you doing a day trip to Manhattan with luggage and flying out in the evening? Exact date would be helpful plus any other details like a timeline.

Yes! A day trip to Manhattan. Our flight leaves late at night. We likely wouldn't bring our luggage though. We'd get the cruise line to check it all the way. I don't want to schlep luggage with us.

Called a few private drivers, they wanted 150 for 6pp.

Yes! A day trip to Manhattan. Our flight leaves late at night. We likely wouldn't bring our luggage though. We'd get the cruise line to check it all the way. I don't want to schlep luggage with us.

At Cape Liberty the cruise line doesn't offer luggage service to the airport.

Did you call Independent Driver?

If you want to go to NYC for the day, you're going to have to schlep luggage with you. Your only option is to pay the money to have a car service take you to Schwartz Travel (http://www.SchwartzTravel.com) on W. 37th St to store your luggage for the day. This is located 4-5 blocks from Port Authority Bus Terminal where you can catch the Newark Airport airport bus (https://newarkairportexpress.com/Newark/Home) on 41st St between 8th & 9th Ave for $17/pp.

Edited by 138east

That sounds like a decent price for 6 people.

That sounds like a decent price for 6 people.

I think the poster is saying $150 to get from the hotel to the port, not $150 to get from the port to NY after the cruise. $150 from the hotel to the port is too much. That's why Carol suggested Independent Driver. Based on the OP's comment that she called several independent drivers it looks like the OP doesn't realize that Independent Driver is the name of a particular shuttle service.

Edited by njhorseman

At Cape Liberty the cruise line doesn't offer luggage service to the airport.

Yikes! I didn't realize that this varied by airport. Could be a game changer. 2 of our group are young kids. We'd have to really carry/assist them with their luggage. Are there any independent tour recommendations that we can book? This is getting complicated. I also didn't realize that Independent driver was a shuttle service. I will check with them. The $150 was an estimate for a private car/large SUV from hotel to pier. It would be cheaper for us to split into 2 cabs.

Yikes! I didn't realize that this varied by airport. Could be a game changer. 2 of our group are young kids. We'd have to really carry/assist them with their luggage. Are there any independent tour recommendations that we can book? This is getting complicated. I also didn't realize that Independent driver was a shuttle service. I will check with them. The $150 was an estimate for a private car/large SUV from hotel to pier. It would be cheaper for us to split into 2 cabs.

There aren't any real "shuttle" services at Newark Airport that service Cape Liberty. The transportation is taxis and what we refer to as car services, which is basically licensed livery transportation that could be a car, an SUV, or a van of some sort. From the airport there is also NJ Transit train service to Manhattan and points in NJ. There is also an airport bus to Manhattan.

The only independent tour would be the one offered by the cruise line with an airport drop off, but it's pricey.

No matter how you do it, it's going to be expensive for your party of 6 to go into Manhattan for the day with luggage unless you're willing to tote everything on public transit.

Thanks 138. I'm starting to see that there are NO cheap options. The hotel is willing to babysit our luggage post cruise. So, I'm leaning towards returning to the hotel, dropping off our stuff and then taking a bus/train into Manhattan. Then we can return back to the hotel, pick up our stuff and get a free ride to the airport. If we do that will the bus pass any of the HOHO stops? It would make it convenient to switch over to the HOHO. How long will the bus ride from Jersey gardens to Manhattan take? Is the train above ground or more like a subway? A lot more hassle than I'm usually down for but we have a red eye and I don't want to waste a day in NY sitting around the airport.

We took the cruise ship tour/transfer last time when we left Quantum. I liked it but we made 2 stops and did drive by's everywhere else. We want a little more control over where we stop and spend time. That is why I love HOHO's.

Thanks 138. I'm starting to see that there are NO cheap options. The hotel is willing to babysit our luggage post cruise. So, I'm leaning towards returning to the hotel, dropping off our stuff and then taking a bus/train into Manhattan. Then we can return back to the hotel, pick up our stuff and get a free ride to the airport. If we do that will the bus pass any of the HOHO stops? It would make it convenient to switch over to the HOHO. How long will the bus ride from Jersey gardens to Manhattan take? Is the train above ground or more like a subway? A lot more hassle than I'm usually down for but we have a red eye and I don't want to waste a day in NY sitting around the airport.

We took the cruise ship tour/transfer last time when we left Quantum. I liked it but we made 2 stops and did drive by's everywhere else. We want a little more control over where we stop and spend time. That is why I love HOHO's.

I'm confused. The HoHo only runs in Manhattan. Any bus into Manhattan would go through the Lincoln Tunnel and be right at Port Authority bus terminal.

The Jersey Gardens bus to NY doesn't start until about 1 pm, so that's not an option.

The train is a commuter train and runs above ground until it goes into the tunnel to NY. It costs $26/pp round trip for adults and $18 for kids under 12.

I'm confused. The HoHo only runs in Manhattan. Any bus into Manhattan would go through the Lincoln Tunnel and be right at Port Authority bus terminal.

The Jersey Gardens bus to NY doesn't start until about 1 pm, so that's not an option.

The train is a commuter train and runs above ground until it goes into the tunnel to NY. It costs $26/pp round trip for adults and $18 for kids under 12.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the buses would run earlier than that. Is there a train near the mall area too? Will we have to go to the airport just to catch the train?

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the buses would run earlier than that. Is there a train near the mall area too? Will we have to go to the airport just to catch the train?

Let me restate your dilemma. You are a party of 6 with 2 small children disembarking the Anthem in Bayonne, NJ. I'm guessing you arrive back on Friday April 8. You have a late flight home from Newark Ariport (flight time ???). You want to spend the day in NYC. Your precruise hotel, the Elizabeth Courtyard, will store your luggage for the day. All your options for moving this group in and out of NYC are expensive and/or time consuming

Next step for the OP - spend some time understanding the transportation maps and options.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Newark+Liberty+International+Airport,+3+Brewster+Rd,+Newark,+NJ+07114,+United+States/@40.6610196,-74.1904269,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c252e1c5ec0cef:0xb3f3b437c5d7f286?hl=en-us

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf

Note: both the Northeast corridor and the North Jersey Coast Line trains stop in Newark and Elizabeth

Recommendation: when you book your car service to go from the port back to the Courtyard Elizabeth, book it with a stop at the hotel to drop off luggage and continuing on to Elizabeth Train Station. Take the train to New York Penn Station - $7.25/pp adults $3.25 children. Plan to come back the same way, but spend the money to go to Newark Airport station - $13/pp adults $9 children. That way you have access to the free Airtrain to go to P4 to pick up the hotel shuttle.

Be sure you allow ample time to get back to Newark for your flight.

If you plan to go to lower Manhattan (e.g. 911 memorial), all these plans change!

How about this - drop your bags at the hotel, have the car service take you to Liberty State Park in New Jersey, take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and then to battery park, to the 9/11 memorial. You can stay on the ferry, or get off at either or both islands. When you are done in NYC, take the ferry back.

Edited by mjkacmom

How about this - drop your bags at the hotel, and take the ferry from Liberty State Park in New Jersey to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and then to battery park, to the 9/11 memorial. You can stay on the ferry, or get off at either or both islands. When you are done in NYC, take the ferry back.

That's a great trip, but you can't easily or inexpensively get to Liberty State Park from the airport without a car.

That's a great trip, but you can't easily or inexpensively get to Liberty State Park from the airport without a car.

I don't think any way is going to be inexpensive. They could (and should, since it's cheaper) spit up, one car going directly to liberty state park, the other stopping to drop off luggage. Personally, I'd just Uber back to the hotel after from Liberty state park.

I don't think any way is going to be inexpensive. They could (and should, since it's cheaper) spit up, one car going directly to liberty state park, the other stopping to drop off luggage. Personally, I'd just Uber back to the hotel after from Liberty state park.

Uber is technically illegal in NJ, and the city of Newark for example is trying to ticket and even tow Uber vehicles because they're operating without proper licenses or insurance. I would never recommend using Uber to a visitor to NJ.

Let me restate your dilemma. You are a party of 6 with 2 small children disembarking the Anthem in Bayonne, NJ. I'm guessing you arrive back on Friday April 8. You have a late flight home from Newark Ariport (flight time ???). You want to spend the day in NYC. Your precruise hotel, the Elizabeth Courtyard, will store your luggage for the day. All your options for moving this group in and out of NYC are expensive and/or time consuming

Next step for the OP - spend some time understanding the transportation maps and options.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Newark+Liberty+International+Airport,+3+Brewster+Rd,+Newark,+NJ+07114,+United+States/@40.6610196,-74.1904269,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c252e1c5ec0cef:0xb3f3b437c5d7f286?hl=en-us

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf

Note: both the Northeast corridor and the North Jersey Coast Line trains stop in Newark and Elizabeth

Recommendation: when you book your car service to go from the port back to the Courtyard Elizabeth, book it with a stop at the hotel to drop off luggage and continuing on to Elizabeth Train Station. Take the train to New York Penn Station - $7.25/pp adults $3.25 children. Plan to come back the same way, but spend the money to go to Newark Airport station - $13/pp adults $9 children. That way you have access to the free Airtrain to go to P4 to pick up the hotel shuttle.

Be sure you allow ample time to get back to Newark for your flight.

If you plan to go to lower Manhattan (e.g. 911 memorial), all these plans change!

Thanks 138! You've summed it up nicely. Flight leaves about 10pm. You've helped me so much I feel like I owe you a commission! :)

How about this - drop your bags at the hotel, have the car service take you to Liberty State Park in New Jersey, take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and then to battery park, to the 9/11 memorial. You can stay on the ferry, or get off at either or both islands. When you are done in NYC, take the ferry back.

We did Battery Park and a drive by of the 9/11 memorial post Quantum cruise. I've already done Lady Liberty too. My husband hasn't though, but I'm hoping that Anthem will sail past her and that should be enough to satisfy him.

We did Battery Park and a drive by of the 9/11 memorial post Quantum cruise. I've already done Lady Liberty too. My husband hasn't though, but I'm hoping that Anthem will sail past her and that should be enough to satisfy him.

It does not...you'll see the SOL from a distance.....you will not sail past her like you would if you sailed from NYC