cruising with grandaughters

mogens

am planning a cruise with my two grandaughters,aged 11 and 9. i know the best would probably be disney. cant' afford disney. what would you suggest other than disney. thanks, Mogens

I would offer for your consideration...RCI's Freedom class or Oasis class .

At their age, I would actually ask them what they want to do on a cruise - do they want to see animals in Alaska, visit beaches in the Caribbean, or explore museums in Europe (if you can afford any of these options) and then pick based upon the most interesting itinerary. Or you can pick a newer ship, which is likely to have a lot of bells and whistles for a preteens.

As Keith has noted, most children are happy on Princess, Holland, Celebrity and RCI. My son has been happy on Princess, HAL and NCL (he's only 5 but still the older kids seemed pretty happy on all those ships). If your dates are flexible, you really have a lot of options. I've found the passengers on HAL to be the least friendly towards children (and their kids club hours aren't great) but I would sail them again if they had the right itinerary. Princess does a really good job with their kids club programs, and they are a really nice line. NCL is a notch below Princess, but their kids club is excellent and the specialty restaurants are really good (I didn't love their included food, but the specialty restaurants solve that problem).