Attire for dinner ( Regular nights and formal night)

stacied68

If you feel overdressed when going into a McDonalds at home then there is every chance you will be overdressed for a normal night in the MDR. Elegant nights do require a cleaner set of clothing and even a collar on the men's shirts but beyond that pretty much anything goes. Remember they no longer have table clothes on the tables so it is BBQ formal.

They DO have tablecloths on the tables for elegant night.

The only requirement for men is to wear a collared shirt with slacks.

Women are fine with a little dress or slacks and a nice top.

Some folks get more dressed up with men in suits and women in fancier dresses but that is up to you.

Normal nights wear what you would if you went out to a family restaurant on shore.

I wear shorts and a t-shirt on a regular no elegant night. If I go on elegant night I will wear slacks and a polo. Some will be really dressed up, others will be dressed down. As long as you have the minimum requirements you're fine. Also the very first night is the most informal and I have worn gym shorts on those nights.

The Paradise is a nice ship and I went last May. There was a lot of college age adults on board who definitely made it feel more informal than other cruises I went on last year.

My daughter and I (6) like to look nice. Casual, comfy dresses, maxi dress/ skirt, capris/palazzo pants on non elegant nights. Husband/son nice shorts and a collared shirt. We dress better on elegant night. Church dress or even a cocktail dress. Men in dress pants and maybe a jacket. We see lots of suits and cocktail dresses on elegant night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wear casual sundresses or jeans and a nice blouse on casual nights, a cocktail or full length dress on formal nights. DH wears jeans and Hawaiian shirts on casual nights, slacks with a button down and a sport coat for formal nights. We do like to dress up but don't normally feel out of place. I've seen threads and responses that say the dining rooms are way more casual than we've seen. I think this has to do with when you cruise and what ports, etc.

After reading over multiple attire boards on multiple lines I have come to the conclusion that what we have here is a definition problem. Depending on your personal life style and that of your social circle dressing up can mean a lot of different things. Most folks here honestly believe that a clean well pressed pair of Khakis and a polo shirt is dressing up. In my circle that is what we wear to mow our lawns and work in the garden. Country Club casual calls for a blazer, tie and well pressed linen or year round wool slacks not khaki the next step up would be for church which calls for a suit and tie and for formal evenings a tuxedo, white dinner jacket in warmer climes or if you can not afford a tuxedo then the dark navy suit is passable. So therein lies the problem, different life styles different definitions for the same thing the poop cruise lines are trying to explain and what you get depends on how far down market the cruise line has to go to fill the ships. So one then has to try to find the line that best fits their affordability, life style, comfort zone etc.

I am very tired of some people who have decided that all folks who like casual clothing are of low social status or economic class!! Some of us have plenty of money and just don't like to wear jackets/ties etc while on vacation!

It is hard to picture folks wearing khakis and a golf shirt to mow their lawns but I suppose anything is possible:rolleyes:

I am very tired of some people who have decided that all folks who like casual clothing are of low social status or economic class!! Some of us have plenty of money and just don't like to wear jackets/ties etc while on vacation!

It is hard to picture folks wearing khakis and a golf shirt to mow their lawns but I suppose anything is possible:rolleyes:

Maybe they live at an excusive golf community where it is actually against the rules to do their own yard work? Oh, no they would never sail Carnival.

I wear a suit Monday through Friday and do not want to wear one on a cruise although I do not have plenty of money!

Edited by Purvis1231

Good point...I choose to dress casual, and choose not to go to the elegant nights because of this. I am on vacation and want to dress comfortably. Others enjoy dressing up...all a personal choice.

My husband and I are going on the Carnival Paradise in May. What is the attire for regular dinnner in the MDR? And how formal is formal night?

Thanks in advance!

Just got off the Paradise last month. Someone already posted the dress code for you I see. On Cruise Casual nights, my husband wears slacks and a polo shirt and I wear a sundress with a light sweater. On Cruise Elegant night he wears a suit and tie and I wear a cocktail dress. You will also see a LOT of REALLY elegant wear - I love to people watch on formal night.

If you feel overdressed when going into a McDonalds at home then there is every chance you will be overdressed for a normal night in the MDR. Elegant nights do require a cleaner set of clothing and even a collar on the men's shirts but beyond that pretty much anything goes. Remember they no longer have table clothes on the tables so it is BBQ formal.

The Paradise does not have the American Table and does have tablecloths.