Where to stay near Denali? Car trip thoughts?

nu2crusin

Our northbound Princess cruise disembarks in Whittier June 4th. Planning on a 1-way (overpriced) rental SUV (wish we could get a minivan) from AVIS 1-way that Sat am. Drive out, see a bit of Turnagain Arm, continue up to Denali area - Stay where?? Bus tour or shuttle in Denali on the Sunday. Stay over again then do something in Denali area Monday am, then drive back to Anchorage for late night fly-out. Need help on the lodging near Denali. Likely two rooms as its 5 adults (wife and I + 3 20-24 yo's). Thought & suggestions welcomed!

There are many and different types of lodging choices around Denali ... B&B, cabin (w or w/o kitchen), large cruisetour hotels, small hotels, lodges. There's even a hostel if you don't mind a shared bathroom and full kitchen (private cabins available).

The Denali Chamger of Commerce provides a large list:

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Also look at some past trip reports and you'll find first hand recommendations.

Instead of the AVIS one-way rental, take a transfer to Anchorage and get a RT rental. Whittier is less than 2 hrs from Anchorage so the transfers are much cheaper than Seward. Try Seward Buslines too ...

I would check on cabins in Healy. It is only about 10 miles from Denali and the place is a bit less absurdly touristy than the glitter gulch area at Denali. Real people live in Healy and they live there year round. That is where we stay when we visit Denali.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

nu2crusin: There is such a range of possibilities in the Denali area. The large hotel complexes are in the "Glitter Gulch" area while Healy offers both motels, B&Bs and cabins. It would help folks offer suggestions if you provide more information as to what you are looking for -- a restaurant on premises, private bath and so for.

Thanks for the info so far... Hotel prefs: restaurant choices on/off site (will have car). In-room bathroom. I'm thinking rustic look but nice with good conveniences & amenities. I just reserved McKinley Chalet Resort as I wanted to grab something - any experience share on this one? 2 rooms, 2 nights so not overpriced. I looked into RT car from Anchorage but the savings is not worth it factoring in 5 transfers not to mention time lost and ability to sightsee on drive out (still $750 for SUV for 3 days is gouging). Have to figure out shuttle Vs tour bus for Denali

Alaska Cruise Transfer drops off at the airport at 10:30am, $32pp. A minivan from Hertz at the airport is only $350 RT.

I don't know what you were planning to see/do along the Turnagain Arm but it's only 45 minutes from the airport so you could do your touring after picking up the car, or on Monday before your flight. Remember you will lots of daylight, sunset isn't until 11pm.

McKinley Chalet is fine. It's one of the cruisetour hotels so big and busy.

Choose the shuttle over the tour, no question! Shuttles leave every 15/30 minutes so you can pick exactly when you want to leave.... same road, same stops, but 1/3 the cost. The Eielson shuttle gets you to mile 66, past prime bear viewing, and it's a lovely destination..... the Visitor Center has displays, rangers, trails, and an awesome view if the mtn is out (plus flush toilets).

It has been a while since we stayed in Healy, but we stayed at the Motel Nord Haven. It was basic but the room was large, clean, the staff were very friendly and it was reasonable for the area. It was 15 minutes to the Transportation Center. Just across from the hotel was Rosie's Diner. Huge, huge portions of food for breakfast and dinner, all at very reasonable prices. They even packed sack lunches for our day on the bus.

Thanks for the info so far... Hotel prefs: restaurant choices on/off site (will have car). In-room bathroom. I'm thinking rustic look but nice with good conveniences & amenities. I just reserved McKinley Chalet Resort as I wanted to grab something - any experience share on this one? 2 rooms, 2 nights so not overpriced.

Have to figure out shuttle Vs tour bus for Denali

I have actually stayed at the McKinley Chalets several times, although it probably has been a decade since we last stayed there. We have always been in one of the two level buildings near the Nenana River (can hear the river from the front porch). These accommodations are somewhat similar to an Embassy Suite room; the Chalet rooms do not have refrigerator or microwave but they consist of two rooms with a fold-out sofa bed on the living room area and beds in the rear room. Would work very well for the accommodation for the three sharing. Also decorated in a "north country lodge" theme.

While we didn't dine there last summer when we were in Denali the meal prices will be in line with the other area hotels.

Definitely consider a park shuttle over a formal tour. There is much information on how the shuttles operate both on this forum and on the Denali NPS website. While I don't find the park road after Eielson Visitor Center that interesting (perhaps since we live a two hour drive away and the scenery is so familiar) I feel that going into the park as far as Eielson a must.