Nieuw Amsterdam thru Panama Canal. Vantage point??

georgiacruisers

We are on the April 20 sailing of Nieuw Amsterdam westbound through the Canal. Years ago we did this via Sun Princess (whatta boat!!) and had to be on deck at dawn to stake out room on the railing to watch the approach and transit of the Gatun locks. But looking at deck photos of Nieuw Amsterdam, I can't see a good vantage point at the bow. Help? We'll 'scope out' each deck of course once aboard, but if anyone knows a great viewing spot, we'd be grateful if you'd share. Else we can only hope our balcony cabin is on the correct side.

See you aboard. Dennis and Claudia

The bow should be open.

I agree. It has on every ship I've been going thru the canal.

Op, are you sure about the date? The cruise leaves on April 10 this year and April 8 (I believe) next year. The dates do not line up for the Amsterdam either.

Folks, I fat fingered again. We are indeed booked on the April TEN sailing. Glad to know we can use the bow for viewing. I must have looked at several dozen photos though, and couldn't make out any deck which looked as if it allowed access. Could anyone tell me the number of the deck that lets us get to the railing? We'll find it once aboard of course, but would like to know ahead of time.

Thanks

Don't forget to go aft a couple of times during your transit to see how the ship goes up and down through the locks from the back of the ship. Seeing how the ship rises and lowers from that vantage point is as good as for the forward view.

Also go out on the Promenade deck while the ship is rising or lowering through the locks and marvel at just how close to the walls of the lock you really are.

Wander the ship during the locks processes at all three locks and see the process from all angles.

You really need to move around.

The view is SO different from a low deck than from a high deck. Fore and aft. high and low: you get different perspectives of the locks, the surrounding area the canal itself, Gatun Lake, the approaches to the locks, everything.

Even on a HAL ship there will masses of pax out and about, so you need to move around. The bow for sure is a great place, especially for entering a lock.

As you note you will scope out the ship in the days before the Canal day and really take a look at the options.

The open walk-around deck is great for touching the side of the lock once you are down in it!

Have a great cruise!

Edited by SilvertoGold

I don't know if every HAL ship does this but I know at least once (it may have been the Statendam for Glacier Bay) on the day the crew had placed signs amounting almost a trail of Bread Crumbs pointing out the way to the bow.

As others have said Panama Canal is best appreciated from a variety of vantage points, fore, side, and aft, high and low. At the lock right after the Centennial Bridge I'll suggest the highest deck possible looking starboard for a view of the new locks, as well as approaching the canal at Colon (then on the port side)

Roy

The bow and all foreward balconies will be open, such as in front of the gym (a great vantage point) and on Vista ships there are forward balconies open on deck 7, and also on 6 I believe. Be sure to be all over the ship, don't just stay in one spot. The lower promenade is a great place to be when the locks open and close. Panama buns are served on the lower promenade, aft Lido, Crows Nest, and in the Lido buffet - they are delicious, especially if still warm. Later in the day I also enjoy sitting on one of the elevated bar stools in the Crows Nest, which gives you a great view forward.