tip in room?

JLN321

How much do you typically leave in the envelope for your room attendant at the end if your cruise? I know you give what you please but I'm just curious what the average is.

On top of the regular gratuities either pre-paid or automatically charged to your account?

on top of regular grat

K, wanted to make sure you were aware of both.

We don't leave it in the room. We generally hand them an extra $20-$50 on the last evening depending on the level of service. Only once did we not tip extra.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We usually dine early so most times our room gets serviced while we are gone.

So on the last evening...... in order to be sure our room steward gets his extra tip we always leave it on the desk in our room with a thank you note.

I generally like to give $10 initially with my so-called "list" asking for ice, robes if there aren't any there, and extra hangars. At the end of the cruise, sometimes I tip extra above that, sometimes not. Most of the time I leave an extra $20. Only once was it more than that. My last cruise I only left an extra $10 (on top of the initial $10). I also leave all pre-paid or daily billed grats in tact.

Guess I've been over tipping. I (hand directly to the steward) a thank you card with $100. We have 2 rooms, so I suppose it's actually like tipping $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$50 on top of the pre-paid does sound like a lot to me. Are there particular extra things you ask for? We usually give an extra $20 having asked for ice, extra towels, and on our last cruise a bed topper

We do MTD so tips are already handled, but we do tip extra for great service.

On back to back cruise we give extra tip the night before the first cruise ends etc. Extra tips range from $25. to $100. Depends on the service and circumstances.

On our last b2b2b I got pretty close with the (female) cabin attendant. She got tips mid way through each leg of cruise and at the end of each cruise.

Not sure if it's over-tipping or not, but we usually give our stateroom attendant an extra $10 per day, and always hand it directly to him/her. Don't know where that number came from to be honest; it's just what we've always done.

We do MTD so tips are already handled, but we do tip extra for great service...

Just wanted to mention in case someone is confused that MTD no longer requires prepaid gratuities.

I used to tip more than suggested. Once they started to automatically charge the tips, I took the hint. They are taking care of it, and I needn't be concerned. Therefore, I don't tip extra.

Is this supposed to make sense somehow?

Just wanted to mention in case someone is confused that MTD no longer requires prepaid gratuities.

Wait, what? Omg...I am so confused with all these changes. So, I prepaid my gratuities for our October cruise, but if I have MTD, the waitstaff is not included in this?:confused:

Wait, what? Omg...I am so confused with all these changes. So, I prepaid my gratuities for our October cruise, but if I have MTD, the waitstaff is not included in this?:confused:

The dining staff is included in gratuities, whether the gratuities are prepaid or automatic, and whether you have MTD or tradtional.

A few months back, Royal eliminated the requirement that gratuities be prepaid if you have MTD.

The dining staff is included in gratuities, whether the gratuities are prepaid or automatic, and whether you have MTD or tradtional.

A few months back, Royal eliminated the requirement that gratuities be prepaid if you have MTD.

Ok, please forgive me. One more question. We prepaid ours. My son's and their wives have not. So will the tips be automatically added on, once on the ship? (yes, we have MTD).

Edited by champagne123
ccccc

$50 on top of the pre-paid does sound like a lot to me. Are there particular extra things you ask for? We usually give an extra $20 having asked for ice, extra towels, and on our last cruise a bed topper

We ask for ice in the adult room, daily towel animals in the kid's room, and for our room to be serviced on the early side (i.e. during early dinner seating & before noon.).

We typically sail on 9-11 day cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, please forgive me. One more question. We prepaid ours. My son's and their wives have not. So will the tips be automatically added on, once on the ship? (yes, we have MTD).

No problem, questions are what this forum is all about.:)

For stateroom categories up to and including a JS, they will add $13 per person per day to the onboard account.

No problem, questions are what this forum is all about.:)

For stateroom categories up to and including a JS, they will add $13 per person per day to the onboard account.

:):):) Thank you!!! Have not cruised on RCCL since 2012 and cannot believe how many changes there have been.

Wait until you see the drink prices.:eek:

Lol....which is why we all purchased the drink package!!!!! Had it not been for the CC thread about the 20 percent discount, I never would have known about it.....since it was not advertised and you had to log into your "cruise planner" to find out about it. :eek:

[/u]

Is this supposed to make sense somehow?

Yes, it is supposed to make perfect sense. Previously, cruise lines told us it was customary to provide gratuities to the crew, which I gladly did. I actually tended to give substantially more than was suggested. For business reasons that I do not know, nor do I care to, they switched the format so that the gratuities are automatically charged, or in some circumstances, prepaid.

To me, this means I no longer need to be concerned with this issue at all. The cruise line has taken it out of my hands, and I happily relinquished it.

I will never complain about tips being pre charged or autimatically charged. The package deal with this, however, is that I do not need to waste one moment considering what more I might need to do.

Just curious... aside from those items mentioned (i.e. ice extra towels, water, bed topper) what other items do you ask for? I'm all for extra tipping as we've pre-paid ours but just curious what others ask extra of :-)