ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

Won't be happy if the menus are all the same since they really bragged about the food and restaurant choices when this class was built. Also, definitely wouldn't want to be assigned to Silk for 12 nights!!!

I'm sure when they change to one menu for all restaurants per night, they will rotate the old menus throughout the week. If you get assigned Silk, I doubt they would give you the same menu or same 2 menus all week.

I just hope they are the current DD menus and not the standard RCI menus like other ships.

I agree beach buddy the venues are small and I wouldn't want to be in the same one for the entire time. We enjoyed visiting all 4 venues on Quantum and looking forward to doing it again on Anthum. We'll see, have to wait until Oct.

My spouse and I made the same comment the other day. While the menus would change, it's not the decor you want night after night after night.

That's a good point.

The reports were that Silk and AI were going MTD and Grande and Chic were going traditional, is that correct?

I agree beach buddy the venues are small and I wouldn't want to be in the same one for the entire time. We enjoyed visiting all 4 venues on Quantum and looking forward to doing it again on Anthum. We'll see, have to wait until Oct.

Exactly!! If I wanted to eat in one room for 12 nights I would have booked another ship with a large beautiful formal dining room.......LOL

That's a good point.

The reports were that Silk and AI were going MTD and Grande and Chic were going traditional, is that correct?

Yep, that's what I heard so far so those that complained the most and wanted traditional get the 2 nicer restaurants. Very disappointed in Royal if this is what they're going to do.

I emailed Michael Bagley and told him how I feel about it. Probably won't do anything but wish everyone that loves DD would email him. If anyone wants his email, it's mbagley@rccl.com

(quote)I'm sure when they change to one menu for all restaurants per night, they will rotate the old menus throughout the week. If you get assigned Silk, I doubt they would give you the same menu or same 2 menus all week.

I just hope they are the current DD menus and not the standard RCI menus like other ships.(quote)

That's the point, this ship was suppose to be unique and innovative - shouldn't be the same boring menus that the other ships have. DD was a big draw for some people and now there may not be anything special about it. JMHO.

Edited by beachbuddy

Exactly!! If I wanted to eat in one room for 12 nights I would have booked another ship with a large beautiful formal dining room.......LOL

Yep, that's what I heard so far so those that complained the most and wanted traditional get the 2 nicer restaurants. Very disappointed in Royal if this is what they're going to do.

I emailed Michael Bagley and told him how I feel about it. Probably won't do anything but wish everyone that loves DD would email him. If anyone wants his email, it's mbagley@rccl.com

I'm sure when they change to one menu for all restaurants per night, they will rotate the old menus throughout the week. If you get assigned Silk, I doubt they would give you the same menu or same 2 menus all week.

(Quote)I just hope they are the current DD menus and not the standard RCI menus like other ships.(quote)

That's the point, this ship was suppose to be unique and innovative - shouldn't be the same boring menus that the other ships have. DD was a big draw for some people and now there may not be anything special about it. JMHO.

I'm really hoping the change doesn't happen or before May 14. I'm on that sailing. Nothing I can really do about it if they do implement it but I've been really looking forward to the DD experience.

I emailed the dining team a couple weeks ago to request table size and location. The Anthem team said email back 2 weeks prior. I'm not sure if that's standard practice or if it was indicative of something.

I'm really hoping the change doesn't happen or before May 14. I'm on that sailing. Nothing I can really do about it if they do implement it but I've been really looking forward to the DD experience.

I emailed the dining team a couple weeks ago to request table size and location. The Anthem team said email back 2 weeks prior. I'm not sure if that's standard practice or if it was indicative of something.

I have friends on your sailing Hope you get to enjoy DD. We really loved it on Quantum. We don't sail on her till November.

Won't be happy if the menus are all the same since they really bragged about the food and restaurant choices when this class was built. Also, definitely wouldn't want to be assigned to Silk for 12 nights!!!

I absolutely agree. It's too bad they couldn't just stick to Dynamic Dining to let people get use to it. I would rather have the new DD menus than go back to the old RCCL MDR menus and if I had to eat 12 nights in American Icon (I hated the decor) I would seriously not be a happy cruiser. :(

I absolutely agree. It's too bad they couldn't just stick to Dynamic Dining to let people get use to it. I would rather have the new DD menus than go back to the old RCCL MDR menus and if I had to eat 12 nights in American Icon (I hated the decor) I would seriously not be a happy cruiser. :(

Then you should let Michael Bagley know how you feel. Wonder what's going to happen to all the reservations we already made. We're linked for dinners with 8 people.

It's already happened. My December Ovation cruise that was booked under DD is now listed as MTD. :(

MTD is basically like DD where you pick your own time for dinner each night. But the question is.........will it be in just ONE restaurant or will we be able to enjoy all 4 free restaurants and will the menus be different in each restaurant.

MTD is basically like DD where you pick your own time for dinner each night. But the question is.........will it be in just ONE restaurant or will we be able to enjoy all 4 free restaurants and will the menus be different in each restaurant.

Yes I understand that having used MTD last year on Radiance. Surely if they were going to be different on the Quantum class then they would call it something different like say, Dynamic Dining! MTD is a well established procedure and I can only think we will end up with one menu in all 4 complimentary's.

Time will tell.

Yes I understand that having used MTD last year on Radiance. Surely if they were going to be different on the Quantum class then they would call it something different like say, Dynamic Dining! MTD is a well established procedure and I can only think we will end up with one menu in all 4 complimentary's.

Time will tell.

Yep, that's what I'm afraid might happen. We do MTD on all our cruises but that's with ships with a MDR and same menus. I'm really bummed if they ditch the whole DD concept just because of some people complaining.

Sitting in Silk felt like being back in the womb! Very red and a little claustrophobic. It would be strange running MTD across 4 restaurants as that isnt as flexible as one space for MTD on other ships. I suppose they could do it by floor i.e. enter on Deck 3 and be allocated American Icon or Silk or on Deck 4 be allocated Chic or Grande dependant on availability at that time. Would prefer to sit in the Grande over any of the other 3.

Sitting in Silk felt like being back in the womb! Very red and a little claustrophobic. It would be strange running MTD across 4 restaurants as that isnt as flexible as one space for MTD on other ships. I suppose they could do it by floor i.e. enter on Deck 3 and be allocated American Icon or Silk or on Deck 4 be allocated Chic or Grande dependant on availability at that time. Would prefer to sit in the Grande over any of the other 3.

We preferred Silk to the others as it was different

We preferred Silk to the others as it was different

Yes of course it's different -- it's an Asian-themed restaurant, and decorated as such (well, at least in the classic "red" decor of American "Chinese" restaurants). But would you really want to be surrounded by that decor every single night or most nights on a cruise?

What I found most lacking about Silk, AI, Chic and Grande as dining venues (not talking about the food) is that they weren't much different from eating on land in terms of the physical feeling. Low ceilings, very restaurant like. I do enjoy the ambiance of a large, traditional, MDR. This didn't keep us from sailing on Anthem, nor would it in the future, but being "stuck" in one of those four venues for an entire cruise, or having only the choice of two of them for MTD, would be disappointing, especially if one of them were Silk as presently decorated. Just mho.

Yes of course it's different -- it's an Asian-themed restaurant, and decorated as such (well, at least in the classic "red" decor of American "Chinese" restaurants). But would you really want to be surrounded by that decor every single night or most nights on a cruise?

What I found most lacking about Silk, AI, Chic and Grande as dining venues (not talking about the food) is that they weren't much different from eating on land in terms of the physical feeling. Low ceilings, very restaurant like. I do enjoy the ambiance of a large, traditional, MDR. This didn't keep us from sailing on Anthem, nor would it in the future, but being "stuck" in one of those four venues for an entire cruise, or having only the choice of two of them for MTD, would be disappointing, especially if one of them were Silk as presently decorated. Just mho.

Oh, if we're stuck in just one of those restaurants for 12 nights, that will be the last time we'll be sailing on Quantum Class. We'll go back to some of our other favorite ships. We have an Anthem cruise booked this November and next April. I have a feeling I'll be canceling the next April one. This November we're sailing with quite a few friends so will most likely keep this one just because we booked it with friends.

Edited by beachbuddy