ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

Hi cruisers,

Keep reading different stories about the Dining on Anthem. Some say it should all go Dynamic, as is, making reservations for restaurant and time of your choice. That would be the gest. Different restaurants, trying different menu's.

I personally think DD is the way of the future. Mixing it with Classic, just doesn't seem to work. Classic folks could still choose their 5:30 or whatever time as they do for classic. It would prevent much confusion all around.

RCI should take their cue from NCL....especially some of the older ships. Dine when YOU want, not when the cruise line says you should. You can even make dining reservations in advance on line. They were the Innovator of MTD and everyone else started following.

People want flexibility of their choosing.

I hope Anthem sticks with Dynamic Dining, making ressies in advance as to which restaurant the passengers want to dine in.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure I'm not alone. How this plays out might determine whether or not we stick to our 12 night Western Oct. 29, 2016!! Let's hope we won't have to change.

Safe travels all.

PS I appreciate feedback and opinions, just as long as it's kept civil.

Thanks.

:-)

I don't think it prevents confusion. From what we experienced they need to have much more capacity to make it truly dine when you want. It seems you have to know in advanced when you are going to want to eat even before other activity time are known.

Also, there are a lot of people that do like the traditional dining. Traditional dining made it very easy to relax. Shows are scheduled around dining times. Not much planning needed.

While I have never cruised before, I like the fact that they kept both available. We opted for Classic dining because I don't want to deal with making reservations or trying to decide where and when to eat on vacation. I like that at 8:30 I just show up at the restaurant of the night and eat there. And if I decide to book a specialty restaurant, then so be it...

I guess I don't understand why it would bother anyone if they continue to do both. Those who like Classic still have that option and those who choose Dynamic have that option. Seems like the best of both worlds?

While I have never cruised before, I like the fact that they kept both available. We opted for Classic dining because I don't want to deal with making reservations or trying to decide where and when to eat on vacation. I like that at 8:30 I just show up at the restaurant of the night and eat there. And if I decide to book a specialty restaurant, then so be it...

I guess I don't understand why it would bother anyone if they continue to do both. Those who like Classic still have that option and those who choose Dynamic have that option. Seems like the best of both worlds?

I think the cruise line is having a logistical problem keeping both Classic and Choice in place. I've not sailed on Quantum class, so I don't know if it's the same, but on other ships I see many underutilized tables in traditional dining. These tables cannot be used for MTD guests, so it leads to longer wait times for those guests.

There are some recent posts stating that the Anthem will return to all traditional dining on May 18 sailing. Don't k is what that means to those of us who are booked and already made DD reservations.

DD was a disaster on the Quantum when they first introduced it. People did not make reservations but expected to be seated before those that did and similar situations.

For me, it was very difficult (thanks to RCI website issues) to make 12 dinner reservations in advance not knowing what we were doing those evenings but I made it work. Then they gave us the show times and we had to go back an change some reservations - which again was not easy given web site issues. Finally I gave up and on the first day of the cruise we met with the dining representative and got all the times and reservations fixed.

Poor travel agents were going crazy dealing with people who could or would not make their own reservations. In my opinion, I would never burden my travel agent with anything like that.

Vacations should not require that much work before the trip even starts.

Just my opinion.

I think the cruise line is having a logistical problem keeping both Classic and Choice in place. I've not sailed on Quantum class, so I don't know if it's the same, but on other ships I see many underutilized tables in traditional dining. These tables cannot be used for MTD guests, so it leads to longer wait times for those guests.

With Dynamic which we choose on all lines, however they call it, it's no issue. Book our time in advance, go in and dine relaxed. Not much different from classic or traditional. Don't need to have the waiter know if I want ice tea every night...maybe I don't. I think the biggest issue is that Anthem did not allow enough space in the dining venues to accommodate about 4500 passengers eating between 5:30 - 9:30, no matter which plan these choose.

Interesting to read the feedbacks :)

We sailed on the Quantum as a B2B in December 14 and loved Dynamic Dining.

We sailed on the Anthem in December 15 and was not as happy with Dynamic Dining. Our waiters in the dining rooms seemed more interested in their "DD Classic" tables.

Two people reported in reviews this week that they were told that Dynamic Dining would be phased out sometime during the next few cruises. However we all have read plenty of "I heard while on the ship" statements that didn't come true.

I can't imagine how they could go to Traditional Dining and/or MTD with the number of seats in the 4 dining rooms…unless they did a 3 seating time rotation.

There are some recent posts stating that the Anthem will return to all traditional dining on May 18 sailing. Don't k is what that means to those of us who are booked and already made DD reservations.

I have also seen rumors that Anthem will switch to traditional dining (using the 4 complimentary restaurants as MDR) on April 1st or May 1st.

We should know soon. April 1st is fast approaching.

I have also seen rumors that Anthem will switch to traditional dining (using the 4 complimentary restaurants as MDR) on April 1st or May 1st.

We sail in June. Will be interesting to see what happens!

Dear UandMe4Ever,

The answer my friend..is blowing in the wind.. oh thats coming soon with those pesky weeds some make wine of..

Choices , choices is awesome. I prefer a set time in dining .. as you8 may well know Five Times a day is best .. even on the boob tube they are showing children are better eating Two breakfast(s) ..

We next month are scheduled to baord on this ship now. Yes even after booking they have changed the Options in eating and reservations..

The second day aboard they have a Major Show at 2:30 pm.. and during the supper hour..but not after.. So yes a Cruise Critic meet and Greet would not be held at the Music Hall ( Normal area) if a 2:300 Show was going to be held.. I saw a 8:30 am CC Meet and Greet Scheduled before our Ship Trip.. (( How many people on a Vacation are going to Eat Breakfast and/or go to a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet??))

It is IMHO Pee Pot Poor Bad Management. The Hotel Manager is really the one with that Resonsibility and/or lack of IT! Yes even in the Culinary area they are the one in charge..eh.. IS RCL :NYSE getting down to the NCL Low Level more now??

Notice the Dining Problem(s) in the Registration

Software also..?.

American= 430

Chic= 434

Silk= 434

Grande= 432

Sub-Total of 1730

x two

3460 Souls yes 1732 Only for combined in Grande and the adjacent Chic..?

Ship holds about 4900 paying Souls +

So 1,500 + souls differences..

As you well know most passenger cruise ships have the MDR in the going aft areas..

So in this Very Large Cabin Laiden Vessel I wager the

IMHO the RCL :NYSE has to have a Re-Do ( Probably in the Bahamas ) as an Azzo-Pod has to be Replaced and that requires the ship to be out of the water in Drydock. So replecing them as well redoing the dining area can be done in that same schedule too.

It really all depends on HQ in Miami, Fl. of RCL :NYSE

Are any of the Shipmates Shareholders and use that Shareholder Benefit now?

As I had written too:;

MS Anthem of the Seas

Registry:

Bahamas

2,090 staterooms

4,905 Paying Guests:

ONLY 1,500 Crew.

Only 16 Elevators in two banks (forward and amidships)

*30 Bumper Cars*

Tonnage:168,666 Gross Tons

Length:1,142 ft

Beam:135 ft

Draft/Drought:28 ft

Cruising Speed:21-22 knots

Two Azipod 20.5 MW (27,500 hp)

with Four 3,500 kW (4,694 hp) bow thrusters

Decks: 18 (16 passenger-accessible)

God Mother:/Sponsor:Emma Wilby, Author and Witch !*YIKES* Is this the first time in all History a Witch is a Ships God Mother?

Christened:April 20, 2015

The christening ceremony took place in the vessel’s Royal Theatre in front of 1,300 guests.

Acquired:April 10, 2015

Maiden voyage:April 22, 2015

In service: April 20, 2015

*NOTE* The Titanic was never Christened nor had a God mother..

Anthem of the Seas became the largest ship ever to cruise Canadian waters.

On the POD Issue .. one pod is better than NO PODS...

Now on Bionic Bar, where mixology meets technology.. I have to time the drinks and how to tip the Machines?

Since your a Garden Stater too. Do you know in Shipping where the Ships Schedule began from?

Yes A New Jersey man born in Norway created that. SO no langer then when just a ship was full uit left Port. The shedule he devised so a Time was made and if the passengers and/or cargo was not in they just left on Schedule..

That is one reson why Shedules in culinary consumption are vitally important..

At home do you not have a normal schedule in eating? Cleaning? Working? Playing?

Even the Playing in New Jersey still Bergen County, NY Jets, NY Giants have a schedule..

The Statue of Liberty at 3 Communipaw Avenue Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey has ferry schedules..

Really the Bottom line

IS

How the RCL :NYSE can Profit more , isn't it?

Hi cruisers,

Keep reading different stories about the Dining on Anthem. Some say it should all go Dynamic, as is, making reservations for restaurant and time of your choice. That would be the gest. Different restaurants, trying different menu's.

I personally think DD is the way of the future. Mixing it with Classic, just doesn't seem to work. Classic folks could still choose their 5:30 or whatever time as they do for classic. It would prevent much confusion all around.

RCI should take their cue from NCL....especially some of the older ships. Dine when YOU want, not when the cruise line says you should. You can even make dining reservations in advance on line. They were the Innovator of MTD and everyone else started following.

People want flexibility of their choosing.

I hope Anthem sticks with Dynamic Dining, making ressies in advance as to which restaurant the passengers want to dine in.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure I'm not alone. How this plays out might determine whether or not we stick to our 12 night Western Oct. 29, 2016!! Let's hope we won't have to change.

Safe travels all.

PS I appreciate feedback and opinions, just as long as it's kept civil.

Thanks.

:-)

Both DD and Traditional Dining have their bonuses. Times when just my husband and I are cruising I think DD would be fine. However many times we travel as an extended family - such as this year when we have a group of 21 family members traveling together for a 60th anniversary celebration. In this instance we really need Traditional Dining. This allows us all the opportunity to go our separate ways during the day knowing exactly when and where we will all meet up for dinner. I can't imagine attempting to coordinate DD reservations for a group of 21!!

We were on the Quantum in January 2015 with our 2 yo granddaughter. The staff in all the restaurants were great with her but some form of traditional dining would have been better. Every night the staff went scurrying about looking for a small glass for her. The request seemed to confuse them, even in American Icon where the breakfast juice glass should have been readily available but wasn't. If we had the same wait staff each night the glass and her fruit plate would have been waiting when we arrived as it was on the Indy in November. I also spent each evening that I wanted regular tea eah evening. With traditional dining all I had to was explain it once and my tea bag always arrived!

I'm confused by this post. I don't understand how Anthem could not have Dynamic Dining given the layout of the ship and the different dining rooms. What they are doing now is using the 4 free venues as "main dining rooms" for those who want to book the same dinner time every night. The rest of us just eat when and where we want.

If anything they should ditch the attempt for classic set time dining as a ship of this nature does not lend itself to such an old fashioned system. There are plenty of other ships in the fleet for that. We had Dynamic Dining in November on Anthem and for each of our 12 nights on board it worked seamlessly, we were always seated on time and never had a problem and ate in every single restaurant on board. There were always empty tables around, no sign of inability to accommodate anyone. Booking online and changing once on board was breeze. It's a very successful system in my opinion and that's after 9 cruises - some old school, some new school.

On Anthem, the same menu is offered in all four MDR's. The items are themed and grouped by venue, but you are in no way required to stick to the current venue's specialties. Meaning, one can select an item from The Grand menu while sitting in Chic.

The problem they were likely trying to overcome with DD is unused capacity where a table would go completely unused for the entire sitting because the reserving party elected to not show up, basically cutting utilization in half. If a table can be turned 3 or 4 times during dinner, a reasonable goal for most restaurants, dining capacity increases and venue size decreases. This is why the MDR's have a capacity of roughly 1/3 pax count and feel relatively small compared to other ships.

The number of tables has likely not decreased, just moved from MDR venues to specialty venues, Wonderland, Chops, etc.

I'd bet a whole $1 that they could have saved themselves a lot of grief if they just never mentioned changing from sittings to reservations. Instead, when pax requests a seating, the floor management app just makes a rotating res at the same time every night. To the restaurant, all tables are Anytime tables.

On Anthem, the same menu is offered in all four MDR's. The items are themed and grouped by venue, but you are in no way required to stick to the current venue's specialties. Meaning, one can select an item from The Grand menu while sitting in Chic.

I believe that is incorrect.

I hope not! I am really looking forward to DD Classic on my May 5th cruise.

The second day aboard they have a Major Show at 2:30 pm.. and during the supper hour..but not after.. So yes a Cruise Critic meet and Greet would not be held at the Music Hall ( Normal area) if a 2:300 Show was going to be held.. I saw a 8:30 am CC Meet and Greet Scheduled before our Ship Trip.. (( How many people on a Vacation are going to Eat Breakfast and/or go to a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet??))

I was on the ship 3/7-3/19. The M & M was held in the Music Hall at 9:30. The We Will Rock You 2:30 show is in the main Theater. So there is no conflict.

So in this Very Large Cabin Laiden Vessel I wager the

IMHO the RCL :NYSE has to have a Re-Do ( Probably in the Bahamas ) as an Azzo-Pod has to be Replaced and that requires the ship to be out of the water in Drydock. So replecing them as well redoing the dining area can be done in that same schedule too.

I don't know where you got the idea that the Azipods had to be replaced. The clutches were replaced in Bayonne a few weeks ago. On the 3/7 sailing we were going 24 knots, and it was the smoothest sailing I have ever been on.

I'll be on the ship again 4/18 and can't wait. I've sailed on Quantum and Anthem 5 times, and love DD, never had a problem.

I believe that is incorrect.

It was exactly that way on the March 4 sailing. 8 appetizers, 8 mains, 4 or 8 desserts. 4 themes (2 per).

The venues share the same galley so it would actually be harder to segregate the menus. Besides, having only two options would draw more ire then DD.

Norwegian's Breakaway class is the same with all three MDR's sharing the same menu and galley.

On a related note, each venue, except American Icon oddly, had a dedicated themed cocktail menu.

Edited by boatseller@hotmail.com

The problem they were likely trying to overcome with DD is unused capacity where a table would go completely unused for the entire sitting because the reserving party elected to not show up, basically cutting utilization in half. If a table can be turned 3 or 4 times during dinner, a reasonable goal for most restaurants, dining capacity increases and venue size decreases. This is why the MDR's have a capacity of roughly 1/3 pax count and feel relatively small compared to other ships.

The number of tables has likely not decreased, just moved from MDR venues to specialty venues, Wonderland, Chops, etc.

I'd bet a whole $1 that they could have saved themselves a lot of grief if they just never mentioned changing from sittings to reservations. Instead, when pax requests a seating, the floor management app just makes a rotating res at the same time every night. To the restaurant, all tables are Anytime tables.

I've been on Anthem twice, and going again next month. The menus are not the same in all 4 restaurants. (actually there are 6 free restaurants - Coastal Kitchen, for suites only - Chic - American Icon - Silk - Grande - Solarium Bistro) All the restaurants have what they call classic dishes, but each restaurant has their own menus. There are 2 menus for each restaurant A & B that change during the cruise. On the 12 night the rotation of the menus was AA - BB - AAAA - BBBB.

It was exactly that way on the March 4 sailing. 8 appetizers, 8 mains, 4 or 8 desserts. 4 themes (2 per).

The venues share the same galley so it would actually be harder to segregate the menus. Besides, having only two options would draw more ire then DD.

Norwegian's Breakaway class is the same with all three MDR's sharing the same menu and galley.

On a related note, each venue, except American Icon oddly, had a dedicated themed cocktail menu.

The March 4th sailing was a special 3 night cruise to nowhere. They have a special menu for those cruises. It is not like that on the normal 5+ night sailings. Each restaurant has it's own menu.

Grande and Chic share one galley, and American Icon and Silk share another.

Each restaurant also has two different menus that rotate during the cruise.

I've been on Anthem twice, and going again next month. The menus are not the same in all 4 restaurants. (actually there are 6 free restaurants - Coastal Kitchen, for suites only - Chic - American Icon - Silk - Grande - Solarium Bistro) All the restaurants have what they call classic dishes, but each restaurant has their own menus. There are 2 menus for each restaurant A & B that change during the cruise. On the 12 night the rotation of the menus was AA - BB - AAAA - BBBB.

^^^This.

I know there is a sampler menu that is used on shorter cruises (like the 3 night CTN), but on regular sailings I was under the impression that it worked exactly like you described.

EDIT: Ah, I see that poster was indeed on the 3 night CTN.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser