ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

I don't see that the rotational dining wouldn't work but I am guessing they would have to add in a dining time making 5P,7P,9P instead of 5:30 and 8:30?

It seems a third dining time would be the only way that rotational dining would be possible, because of the dining room capacities.

With the capacity of the dining rooms on the Anthem I can see them scrapping the classic option and going back to just Dynamic Choice (like they had on Quantum). I'm not sure they can scrap the Dynamic Dining concept altogether and have two restaurants as traditional and 2 as MTD.

But the thing is, I've been seeing really positive feedback for Classic, in addition to good feedback for Choice. I haven't been on Anthem, but my impression was that Choice and Classic seem to be working well together. I can't see Royal completely abandoning the DD concept, but it seems the food and service might need to be tweaked. How they go about fixing that issue is unknown to me, but I guess we'll soon find out if these rumors are true.

Honestly though, I think it would be a bad idea to eliminate Classic at this point. It seems popular, at least here on CC.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I'm not judging until I try it.

Now there's a novel idea lost on many since they introduced DD. We haven't sailed a Quantum Class yet because I can't get around sailing out of Jersey and not because of DD.

I would be a little disappointed if they ended Dynamic Dining starting in May. Of course I'm booked on the May 14th sailing. This would be the second time they did this. When I originally booked Oasis for last September, they had announced it was getting Dynamic Dining and we all know that was never followed through.

I'm also with some of the others - the schedule for some of the entertainment and activities is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't take a civil engineer to plan. For example, my sailing has 3 WWRY showings. first night at 6:30 and second day at 2:30 and 6:30. So, with Classic 1, that eliminates the 6:30 (and people with Classic 2 will barely make it) and it ruins a relaxing day in the sun on the way to Bermuda on day 2...since the second half will be going to Boston, it will likely be a tad cooler.

And the only dates open online for the North Star were when we were just getting into port...I won't be surprised if they cancel mine.

Any one of us here could plan times that work better. I just don't get why this is so hard for them!

You also need to build in that you need to arrive to Spectra, WWRY and The Gift 40 minutes prior to the start of showtime to get a good seat. There are people standing in line to get in before they even open the doors.

We got to WWRY at 1:50 PM for our 2:30 PM show and did get good seats. Spectra we arrived 30 minutes prior had terrible seats off to the side. The Gift we left after 18 minutes because the only seats we could get were in the upper level all the way off to the side. I could only see a 1/3 of the stage. The people sitting next to us also left. What a waste of a new ship.

We won't be rushing back to Anthem anytime soon.

Edited by CruisingChick

I enjoyed DD on the Anthem and like the way it's currently set up with guests getting a choice between DD and traditional dining. I can't believe that Royal can't figure out a way to make this work if NCL can. It would be very disappointing if they scrap DD and go back to the same old boring MDR served on other ships.

I agree! If they can't figure out how to make both work, just do DD and let passengers choose their time and restaurant. Easy Peasy. Such a production OMG.....If they would have made the dining rooms large enough in each of the 4 restaurants, this would not have become such a issue. Yet, the wasted space on a "robot bar"...Wonder who the brains were in the designs/management space?

We'll have to wait and see, won't we. Hope they do not go back to Classic..the times just do not work for us. Perhaps if they added in a 7-7:15 time, maybe.

Thanks for sharing!

You also need to build in that you need to arrive to Spectra, WWRY and The Gift 40 minutes prior to the start of showtime to get a good seat. There are people standing in line to get in before they even open the doors.

We got to WWRY at 1:50 PM for our 2:30 PM show and did get good seats. Spectra we arrived 30 minutes prior had terrible seats off to the side. The Gift we left after 18 minutes because the only seats we could get were in the upper level all the way off to the side. I could only see a 1/3 of the stage. The people sitting next to us also left. What a waste of a new ship.

Who wants to sit inside on a cruise ship on probably a beautiful day? I won't wait 45 minutes to see any show. I'm sure nothing is that fabulous from what I've read.

RCI needs a reality check on lots of stuff...Very disappointed in their new "ideas" for bigger ships. Make them smaller with more quality, like the "good old days'.

I agree! If they can't figure out how to make both work, just do DD and let passengers choose their time and restaurant. Easy Peasy. Such a production OMG.....If they would have made the dining rooms large enough in each of the 4 restaurants, this would not have become such a issue. Yet, the wasted space on a "robot bar"...Wonder who the brains were in the designs/management space?

We'll have to wait and see, won't we. Hope they do not go back to Classic..the times just do not work for us. Perhaps if they added in a 7-7:15 time, maybe.

Thanks for sharing!

They started with just regular DD. Complaints led to the introduction of Classic. Also, there's several people in this thread stating that they work well together. Have you been on Anthem? Maybe you should try it before typing up posts like this.

RCI needs a reality check on lots of stuff...Very disappointed in their new "ideas" for bigger ships. Make them smaller with more quality, like the "good old days'.

Yet, you're still booked on the Anthem. Please don't come back and share a negative review. And no, I don't think Royal needs a reality check. There are many people who love their new ideas.

Seems you're just trying to stir the pot.

Who wants to sit inside on a cruise ship on probably a beautiful day? I won't wait 45 minutes to see any show. I'm sure nothing is that fabulous from what I've read.

Same thing happened at the Music Hall. There are very few "great seats" where you can see the stage area. People were getting seats at 7:25 PM for 60's Music from Rock The Boat that started at 8:30 PM. We were in there having our Diamond Lounge Drinks before dinner. My DH and I just sat there in disabelief.

You build this brand new ship and then build venues that cannot hold everyone that wants to attend them and let them see what is going on. The seats in the theater are very low, if you are short like me you are screwed.

Two70 is nice but only seats dead center are good for viewing shows, the rest are not.

I am still shaking my head. I don't get it who designs these things.

And don't think RCCL is alone. We felt the same way when we sailed Celebrity's S Class ships when they came out. They build all these choppy venues that can't comfortably hold the number of passengers that want to be there.

I am still shaking my head. I don't get it who designs these things.

And don't think RCCL is alone. We felt the same way when we sailed Celebrity's S Class ships when they came out. They build all these choppy venues that can't comfortably hold the number of passengers that want to be there.

Well actually, those Celebrity Ships are designed by the same people.

I like the designs.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Thanks for the tip! Luckily the other 2 shows Spectra and Gift are at 9pm (unless they change too) so going at 8:15 won't be a problem. But for WWRY, expecting us to show up at 1:45-1:50 on a sea day, prime for laying on the top deck is absolutely ridiculous. The 9pm was canceled. Very stupid imo!

Sailing April 30, 2016 5 day Bermuda cruise.

If this is happening soon, why no word from RCCL?

So much for online reservations for shows and dinners.

The dining experience is one of the highlights of cruising and sounds like

they missed the boat on this one.

Can't understand how Royal Caribbean could spend $940 million on a ship and not have this

figured out before the Anthem ever set sail. Maybe test the concept on an older ship first.

Poor service, cold food unacceptable.

Tom

"Wishful thinking"- getting important information from RC.

They don't even change their website, posting some services that are no longer offered, or don't notify in writing that they cancelled or changed previously made reservations. I am going on April 8 sailing and never had harder time to deal with some issues with RC. I hope upcoming cruising experience will ease all the pain of prep work. And, if not - will be the last of my Royal " pain" experience.

Edited by ISABELLA

It seems that RC can't figure out how to keep clients happy and make money at the same time. " Keeping Happy" doesn't seems important to RC. Sad...

I used to like sail Royal. I guess my " diamond" will go to waste...Don't really like RC product anymore...

Edited by ISABELLA

Cruise Critic is a very small percentage of the people sailing on Anthem. Most of the people I talked to on my 2 sailing loved the ship, and had no problems with the dining. I was surprised that even Guest Services didn't have a line whenever I passed by. I was there 3 times for change for tips, on my last cruise, and walked right up to a rep.

Cruise Critic is a very small percentage of the people sailing on Anthem. Most of the people I talked to on my 2 sailing loved the ship, and had no problems with the dining. I was surprised that even Guest Services didn't have a line whenever I passed by. I was there 3 times for change for tips, on my last cruise, and walked right up to a rep.

I think we have to remember sometimes that this site is called Cruise CRITIC, people are also more likely to talk about bad experiences than good ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that RC can't figure out how to keep clients happy and make money at the same time. " Keeping Happy" doesn't seems important to RC. Sad...

I used to like sail Royal. I guess my " diamond" will go to waste...Don't really like RC product anymore...

I think they are tired of the old clients and just want all new clients.

They started with just regular DD. Complaints led to the introduction of Classic. Also, there's several people in this thread stating that they work well together. Have you been on Anthem? Maybe you should try it before typing up posts like this.

Yet, you're still booked on the Anthem. Please don't come back and share a negative review. And no, I don't think Royal needs a reality check. There are many people who love their new ideas.

Seems you're just trying to stir the pot.

I did not give any review of the Anthem, good or bad, since I have not sailed her...and may not. I only gave MY opinion on some issues almost everyone has noticed.

I'm not stirring any pot! Just sharing some thoughts and YOU don't have to be so nasty! Many people have responded and YOU are the only one being totally snarky. Have a day!

I think they are tired of the old clients and just want all new clients.

A business surviving on long term clients isn't a reliable business, you need a mixture of both old and new in order to keep expanding, which is what shareholders want, and at the end of the day, when running a business with shareholders, that's all you need to make sure you do.

A business surviving on long term clients isn't a reliable business, you need a mixture of both old and new in order to keep expanding, which is what shareholders want, and at the end of the day, when running a business with shareholders, that's all you need to make sure you do.

I agree with you. However, my impression is that they don't want the mix anymore, they want all new.

I agree with you. However, my impression is that they don't want the mix anymore, they want all new.

Cheaper, new cruisers don't get free drinks/special lounges/discounts/upgrades etc

Cheaper, new cruisers don't get free drinks/special lounges/discounts/upgrades etc

You make really good points! Loyalty members cut into their bottom line, especially Diamond and above. I wouldn't be surprised if they start chipping away at the perks even more over the next few years.

I believe it actually adds to their bottom line, because those perks make many cruisers consider Royal either first or exclusively so they can take advantage of those perks. I know it certainly is a factor in my decision when choosing a cruise.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start chipping away at the perks even more over the next few years.

But then you have nothing but your product to entice new passengers to come back again, and again, if you are not going to offer perks.

If we weren't Diamond on RCCL I am not sure we'd ever sail them again. I mean of course I would never, say never, but it would be hard for me to justify the cost of sailing with no perks whatsoever just on the merit of the product they put out.

We are not interested in rock climbing walls, flow riders, water slides, etc. So prefer not to pay for that in our cruise fare. At least getting some free drinks, capuccinos, internet minutes etc. helps offset the cost of our sailing.

Agree.

In 2012 I brought my then 28yr old Phenom partner and his wife on Freedom. After two nights of bad service and food in MDR, having to get ready/dress, go to shows etc (like I had always loved to do until this cruise!!!) they refused to go to MDR for rest of cruise. We hit the WJ every night... First time for me. They asked us why we were up there ... We told them. They treated us like royalty after that. Had our wine and table reserved every night at the window. My young partner and wife did what they wanted when thy wanted, did not do all the shows, went to hot tub whenever, went to game shows whenever, went back to room Whenever! No schedule. Basically treated the traditional Freedom like Anthem and made it THIER choice. I followed them... It was so refreshing!

They've been back on RCL since (and they have a freedom Pres suite reserved next year for their whole family) because of My introduction, but they do not like being forced to eat at certain time, being at certain places, etc. they want to do what they want to do when They want to do it.

My circle of friends are the more affluent but younger 30-40. They have money, they travel and with family... Most of them Think cruising is for old People, tied down to set menus, "trapped" on a ship. They've asked lots Of questions to me And my business partner. Some Of those friends have since been On a couple of cruises since as well.

These are the future customers of RCL, not so Much the aging D+ or PN I'm afraid. My partner does not post on CC. I dare say the avg age on CC is over 50??? That's why DD and Anthem are being talked about negatively whereas the "old" style Radiance Class is a favourite. If there were a CC for only 20-40 yr olds, I would suspect Anthem and DD would get stellar reviews and Radiance/Vision classes with traditional dining not so much.

Just my 2 cents.

In 2012 I brought my then 28yr old Phenom partner and his wife on Freedom. After two nights of bad service and food in MDR, having to get ready/dress, go to shows etc (like I had always loved to do until this cruise!!!) they refused to go to MDR for rest of cruise. We hit the WJ every night... First time for me. They asked us why we were up there ... We told them. They treated us like royalty after that. Had our wine and table reserved every night at the window. My young partner and wife did what they wanted when thy wanted, did not do all the shows, went to hot tub whenever, went to game shows whenever, went back to room Whenever! No schedule. Basically treated the traditional Freedom like Anthem and made it THIER choice. I followed them... It was so refreshing!

They've been back on RCL since (and they have a freedom Pres suite reserved next year for their whole family) because of My introduction, but they do not like being forced to eat at certain time, being at certain places, etc. they want to do what they want to do when They want to do it.

My circle of friends are the more affluent but younger 30-40. They have money, they travel and with family... Most of them Think cruising is for old People, tied down to set menus, "trapped" on a ship. They've asked lots Of questions to me And my business partner. Some Of those friends have since been On a couple of cruises since as well.

These are the future customers of RCL, not so Much the aging D+ or PN I'm afraid. My partner does not post on CC. I dare say the avg age on CC is over 50??? That's why DD and Anthem are being talked about negatively whereas the "old" style Radiance Class is a favourite. If there were a CC for only 20-40 yr olds, I would suspect Anthem and DD would get stellar reviews and Radiance/Vision classes with traditional dining not so much.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with everything you say. Times are changing and Royal is trying to stay ahead of the curve. They owe it to their shareholders to do that.