ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

Couldn't reserve American Icon anymore for my voyage May 14. Guess, days of Dynamic Dining Choice are over. Curious what will happen next...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Couldn't reserve American Icon anymore for my voyage May 14. Guess, days of Dynamic Dining Choice are over. Curious what will happen next...

Still waiting to get the real story from Patti, who I believe is boarding today.

Ugh, next thing you know some fake-handle CC posters whom imposter being Pinnacle (Like Beachlocal and Marianne.momma) will come on here to tell us they've been on 10 Quantum Class cruises and they've all been great... How dare they post against CC's obvious overwhelmingly negative majority towards Quantum Class and especially DD!!!!!!! What do they know anyways?? :rolleyes::p:D

DD and Quantum/Anthem haters unite!!!... Let's all chant together now:

"HEY HEY, HO HO, ANTHEM'S GOT TO GO!"

(Wow, this is what a Trump rally must be like .... Oops, maybe not, we're not

Talking about anyone's wife yet :eek::eek:)

Here's a favorite of mine: "How long must we wait for the Anthem to leave New JERSEY?" (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322019&highlight=anthem) Obviously, that poster has never stepped foot on Anthem or Quantum, so it only makes sense for them to be posting something like that. :rolleyes:

The problem they were likely trying to overcome with DD is unused capacity where a table would go completely unused for the entire sitting because the reserving party elected to not show up, basically cutting utilization in half. If a table can be turned 3 or 4 times during dinner, a reasonable goal for most restaurants, dining capacity increases and venue size decreases. This is why the MDR's have a capacity of roughly 1/3 pax count and feel relatively small compared to other ships.

That's not how it works with DD. You might reserve a dining time but they don't physically reserve a table for you. They just try and give you a table when you turn up for your reservation whereas those who have not reserved get a lower priority.

We tried to change our dining times/venue a few times on Anthem and here was no availability. However we went to see the guys at the podiums and they just said turn up where and when you want. We did and had no issue getting a table immediately.

DD was a disaster on the Quantum when they first introduced it. People did not make reservations but expected to be seated before those that did and similar situations.

For me, it was very difficult (thanks to RCI website issues) to make 12 dinner reservations in advance not knowing what we were doing those evenings but I made it work. Then they gave us the show times and we had to go back an change some reservations - which again was not easy given web site issues. Finally I gave up and on the first day of the cruise we met with the dining representative and got all the times and reservations fixed.

Poor travel agents were going crazy dealing with people who could or would not make their own reservations. In my opinion, I would never burden my travel agent with anything like that.

Vacations should not require that much work before the trip even starts.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is the right one,DD dining Just another Royal money grab.I don't wants to make dining reservations on a cruise,or pay for dinner.:eek:

DD was a disaster on the Quantum when they first introduced it. People did not make reservations but expected to be seated before those that did and similar situations.

For me, it was very difficult (thanks to RCI website issues) to make 12 dinner reservations in advance not knowing what we were doing those evenings but I made it work. Then they gave us the show times and we had to go back an change some reservations - which again was not easy given web site issues. Finally I gave up and on the first day of the cruise we met with the dining representative and got all the times and reservations fixed.

Poor travel agents were going crazy dealing with people who could or would not make their own reservations. In my opinion, I would never burden my travel agent with anything like that.

Vacations should not require that much work before the trip even starts.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is the right one,DD dining Just another Royal money grab.I don't wants to make dining reservations on a cruise,or pay for dinner.:eek:

Here's a favorite of mine: "How long must we wait for the Anthem to leave New JERSEY?" (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322019&highlight=anthem) Obviously, that poster has never stepped foot on Anthem or Quantum, so it only makes sense for them to be posting something like that. :rolleyes:

Nice job. You woke him up. :rolleyes::D

Still hoping an announcement is made soon if things are changing. I just did a mock booking for my June cruise and classic 6pm and 8pm are available choices with mtd unavailable. When I booked months ago all that was available was DD. Wondering if I'm better off calling and changing to the 6pm slot while it's still available or keep my 5:45 dining slots with Dd.

50ca19de876948eb07166ffe25455428.jpg

Only get offered 8:30 slot on my cruise in September, no Dynamic or even MyTime available, this could be an interesting call to Royal later on today. If they have changed it to set time only then I'll be asking for a major discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only get offered 8:30 slot on my cruise in September, no Dynamic or even MyTime available, this could be an interesting call to Royal later on today. If they have changed it to set time only then I'll be asking for a major discount.

Seeing something similar as well. For my Nov 10th cruise I'm still listed as DD choice when I login to my Cruise Countdown. But if I try to book a room via the RC website it's only showing DD Classic available for 8:00 PM.

Would this mean that DD Choice is sold out? ... Or, is this an early sign that it's going away?

Seeing something similar as well. For my Nov 10th cruise I'm still listed as DD choice when I login to my Cruise Countdown. But if I try to book a room via the RC website it's only showing DD Classic available for 8:00 PM.

Would this mean that DD Choice is sold out? ... Or, is this an early sign that it's going away?

Phoned C&A line and was told I was still on choice and that it was currently sold out.

I then said that "you don't sell out" of DD choice because it's only limited by the amount of passengers on the ship, where as classic was limited by the amount of seats in a restaurant.

What's most odd is when I booked it just 7 days ago, Choice was available, Classic was sold out.

Phoned C&A line and was told I was still on choice and that it was currently sold out.

I then said that "you don't sell out" of DD choice because it's only limited by the amount of passengers on the ship, where as classic was limited by the amount of seats in a restaurant.

What's most odd is when I booked it just 7 days ago, Choice was available, Classic was sold out.

I was on DD choice because they other two classic time periods were sold out. Then I looked again, and I was offered a waitlist for the two classic periods. Yesterday, I was only offered a waitlist for early seating. I figured I would call today, and when I just looked, I wasn't offered any alternative waitlists.

"While we make every effort to accommodate your request up to the day of sailing, your desired seating may not become available due to high demand. When you check-in at the pier, please check your SeaPass card. It will indicate the final outcome of your dining request."

I really don't want to find out when I'm dining when I show up at the pier.

Edited by marci22

I think that for now, if someone is unsure of what dining times they will be given, or if they are getting rid of choice, you should go to your C&A preferences and list your preferred dining time (early or late). Not sure they will defer to that but at least it's something.

Still hoping an announcement is made soon if things are changing. I just did a mock booking for my June cruise and classic 6pm and 8pm are available choices with mtd unavailable. When I booked months ago all that was available was DD. Wondering if I'm better off calling and changing to the 6pm slot while it's still available or keep my 5:45 dining slots with Dd.

Check and see if the 6pm slot is still available. Mine was available yesterday as waitlist, gone today.

When I play around with the mock booking for my Nov cruise DD Choice seems to be sold out. If I choose 2 guests in a room or suite I get offered 6 or 8 PM for DD Classic. If I choose 3 guests, only 8 PM is offered ...

I guess this may mean that besides DD Choice sold out, the 6 PM seating is almost full as well.

As previously mentioned, I thought DD Choice couldn't sell out, but maybe the upcoming plans will have RC flipping things with limiting the DD Choice openings to ensure enough coverage

I think that for now, if someone is unsure of what dining times they will be given, or if they are getting rid of choice, you should go to your C&A preferences and list your preferred dining time (early or late). Not sure they will defer to that but at least it's something.

For me, I'd prefer neither set seating.

6pm is too early, we are still in port for this seating a few times during the week

8:30 is way too late.

If a switch is made then I'd be eating in the windjammer every night, so I'd expect some kind refund and as such, half the grats could go as I'm not actually being served by anybody. If I was in a suite I probably wouldn't be so bothered because CK will not adhere to set dining times, however as a non-suite guest I'm forced to eat in the WJ or any of the other casual restaurants

6pm is too early, we are still in port for this seating a few times during the week

If a switch is made then I'd be eating in the windjammer every night, so I'd expect some kind refund and as such, half the grats could go as I'm not actually being served by anybody. If I was in a suite I probably wouldn't be so bothered because CK will not adhere to set dining times, however as a non-suite guest I'm forced to eat in the WJ or any of the other casual restaurants

We booked Anthem late and every dining time was taken prior to 8:30 to 8:45. We were three adults in two cabins, and were "invited" to show up whenever we wanted. A smile and nice words go a long way with the hostess. Please don't miss your dinner and eat in the Windjammer each night.............unless you want too.:) Have a great cruise!

We booked Anthem late and every dining time was taken prior to 8:30 to 8:45. We were three adults in two cabins, and were "invited" to show up whenever we wanted. A smile and nice words go a long way with the hostess. Please don't miss your dinner and eat in the Windjammer each night.............unless you want too.:) Have a great cruise!

I don't mind the Windjammer, but the chance of just showing up will be gone if the ship switches to classic only

I don't mind the Windjammer, but the chance of just showing up will be gone if the ship switches to classic only

Then that would leave approx. 1/4 passengers without dining times, like you.

I firmly believe they would not let that happen. Good luck and report back on what happened.:)

Will be interesting to see how or if they change anything. Disney truly has the dining rotation down pat and you keep the same dining staff each evening. Don't see why they couldn't do something similar if they wanted to rotate through the restaurants with two seatings. Did it on a 14 day Disney cruise and no issues at all.

Though I had already gone in and made some of our reservations and booked a 4 night dining package for our 9 night cruise.

I have bad news for you.

If they continue with what they have now, Classic 1 is at FIVE THIRTY. :eek: