ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

Greetings again from Anthem. We have eaten in Silk and American Icon and have had wonderful food and service. Tonight we go to Chic. We are doing DD Choice and have not had a problem.

We had dinner in Coastal Kitchen the first night and had the Filet Mignon and it was absolutely wonderful. Could cut it with a fork it was so tender.

Thanks for the report Patti!:)

Maybe people who "like traditional dining and don't want anything else" should stop booking Q Class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^This. They have 20+ ships in the fleet. Big ships, small ships, in between. It's nice to have choices. I very much enjoyed DD choice and thought it was about time for some new ideas on Royal's dining. It's very disappointing that they are changing things back. I'll be back on board in May and am not as excited about it right now. :(

Greetings again from Anthem. We have eaten in Silk and American Icon and have had wonderful food and service. Tonight we go to Chic. We are doing DD Choice and have not had a problem.

We had dinner in Coastal Kitchen the first night and had the Filet Mignon and it was absolutely wonderful. Could cut it with a fork it was so tender.

Fabulous!

We like MTD or choice, for small groups and Traditional with large groups. So a lot depends on who you are cruising and dining with.

Freestyle on NCL was horrendous with 10 or more people and I bet with DD choice on Anthem or MTD on another RCI ship. But with a smaller group of 6 or less is fantastic with NCL, and CCL flexible dining which are the only cruse lines we tried a flexible dining.

I suspect it's difficult to have both styles in the same dining room with the same waiters. This is the downfall; not being able to separate the dining rooms with not enough tables to accommodate everyone in 2 seating a. We'll see!

BTW, we only booked Anthem a year in advance because our group of 12 could dine at the same time, 8:30 pm at the same table every night. Conversely if my husband and I were cruising alone, we would not choose RCI because NCL does flexible dining so well.

Last, our RCI cruises for the last 3 years had a lot of empty or half empty tables for late traditional dining. People would show up the first night and maybe never again. Poor utilization of the reserved tables!

At first, I was okay with the change. I like traditional dining, so I obviously didn't mind the idea of traditional coming to Anthem.

Then I thought about it. Dynamic Dining (despite many complaints) was exciting. It was something new.

As much as I love the idea of DD Classic, maybe it would be best to drop Classic and go back to all Choice.

And maybe if they dropped Classic, they could streamline dining times to every hour (i.e. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9pm instead of every 15 minutes) so that a decent amount of the courses are being ordered at the same time, which results in less stress on the kitchen.

I really don't want to see them go to just traditional and MTD. It's bad enough that Oasis and Allure have a 3 story MDR with different decorations on each floor. Anthem's dining rooms would just look stupid at this point.

I just don't get it.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Just read this entire thread. Just my opinion but they should not give up on DD. I liked it on anthem - it worked very well for us. Since quantum class was specifically designed with DD in mind surely it makes more sense to move to only dynamic choice ( if running both choice and classic is causing to many problems ). It gives quantum class a big point of difference and correct me if I am wrong but the reviews of anthem seem to be turning to more positive than negative especially in relation to the dining (which was the biggest complaint initially). Time will tell , but if they move it to traditional / MTD and it is a disaster where do you go from there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just read this entire thread. Just my opinion but they should not give up on DD. I liked it on anthem - it worked very well for us. Since quantum class was specifically designed with DD in mind surely it makes more sense to move to only dynamic choice ( if running both choice and classic is causing to many problems ). It gives quantum class a big point of difference and correct me if I am wrong but the reviews of anthem seem to be turning to more positive than negative especially in relation to the dining (which was the biggest complaint initially). Time will tell , but if they move it to traditional / MTD and it is a disaster where do you go from there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have to agree and I am a pro traditional dining cruiser. If a ship is built to handle dining a certain way they should keep it that way. Did I miss having the same table, waiter, asst. waiter every night of my 12 night cruise. Yes I did, but still don't think they should change Anthem and they should go back to the original Dynamic Dining that it was designed for.

We did like the new different menus and the food at dinner was very good.

Maybe people who "like traditional dining and don't want anything else" should stop booking Q Class ships.

ABSOLUTELY !!!

I've been saying that since December 2014 on the Quantum when so many D, D+, and PC guests kept bit*ching because Royal Caribbean built a ship that did not look or function like their favorite old ships in the fleet. What they wanted was a duplicated Vision, Radiance, Voyager, or Freedom class ship!!!!

There are plenty of ships in the fleet with Traditional Dining. Leave the Anthem alone for those of us who are open to change and enjoy Dynamic Dining.

Dynamic Dining worked great for us on all three cruises that we have taken that had it.

Edited by beachnative

ABSOLUTELY !!!

I've been saying that since December 2014 on the Quantum when so many D, D+, and PC guests kept bit*ching because Royal Caribbean built a ship that did not look or function like their favorite old ships in the fleet. What they wanted was a duplicated Vision, Radiance, Voyager, or Freedom class ship!!!!

There are plenty of ships in the fleet with Traditional Dining. Leave the Anthem alone for those of us who are open to change and enjoy Dynamic Dining.

Dynamic Dining worked great for us on all three cruises that we have taken that had it.

I'm going to guess that there are more problems than just some grouchy top tier C&A members though, if Royal is really planning to completely abandon DD.

I'm going to guess that there are more problems than just some grouchy top tier C&A members though, if Royal is really planning to completely abandon DD.

I would agree with this, and I'm still hoping to hear more from Patti with regard to what was working so poorly that they had to give up on the concept entirely.

You are correct. Yes, there were problems.

For example, the process of taking dinner orders on the Quantum using the electronic tablets. When we were on the Anthem we never saw a waiter using one…they had reverted to the old paper and pen method.

Another problem was that they didn't have assistant waiters…or only had a very few.

On the Anthem they instituted a fix for the complaining traditionalists by offering DD Classic. We actually were given last minute seats at a table that was going empty because the guests had gone to a speciality restaurant. Doing away with DD Classic might be enough to solve the problem of DD Classic guest not showing up in the MDR on certain nights thus leaving their table empty.

However, the suits have evidently decided to go back to the traditional method of Early, Late, and MTD rather than put up with any more complaints.

I TOTALLY agree with your earlier statement that DD was exciting.

Hopefully they will try and keep some of the DD offerings rather than go to the boring current menu in the rest of the fleet.

They could have also decided that DD was expensive and it is cheaper and easier to just serve the old boring menu.

Not related to DD, but something to think about: they also created a storage space nightmare when they did a different interior design for each of the restaurants. Each has its on style furniture, dishes, flatware, etc. On the traditional ships they could keep in storage a few replacements as they had one design for the entire dining room. For the Quantum/Anthem they needed to keep on had some for each of the interior designs.

Edited by beachnative

I'm signed up for classic 1 on our April 8th Anthem sailing. After reaching out ~2.5 weeks ago, I've just received confirmation that our classic time will be at 5:30 (even though our documents say 6 PM) at a 4-top.

I won't complain, I'm thrilled they've honored our request for a 4-top alone, and looking forward to rotational dining through the 4 restaurants, with the same waiter each night.

I think we have a winner. I have been thinking that DD menus on Anthem have to be costing them much more in food costs and preparation than the old RCCL menus.

That is a good point.

I hadn't really taken the money issue into account, but that would make it more understandable as to why they're giving up. Money is what makes the decisions.

It could be that the original idea of DD was cheaper than a regular MDR, but in order to actually run DD smoothly and avoid complaints ended up costing more than expected.

Who knows. And we probably will never know.

I'm signed up for classic 1 on our April 8th Anthem sailing. After reaching out ~2.5 weeks ago, I've just received confirmation that our classic time will be at 5:30 (even though our documents say 6 PM) at a 4-top.

I won't complain, I'm thrilled they've honored our request for a 4-top alone, and looking forward to rotational dining through the 4 restaurants, with the same waiter each night.

We're booked for Classic 1 as well. We decided this in part because were traveling with children and in part because of the issues that we read about.

I think that if they went to an all MTD concept and maybe one or two menu's at most, this would have been fine.

But coordinating schedules with unscheduled together doesn't work.

Alternatively, they could have had scheduled seating from 6 - 7:30 and and MTD from 7:30 - 9:00 (no walk-ins from 6 - 7:30).

I just think that they needed to pick a lane or at least separate the two groups.

Maybe they could designate two of the dining rooms as MTD and two and Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have to agree with the posts that are saying if you don't like the DD concept then why not book one of the other ships in the fleet that all offer set dining, they are the majority of ships so you already have a really good choice.

Converting 4 restaurants to the same menu would be a real shame, the whole reason for having them themed differently is to offer variety! Also, how could Silk's menu match that of Grande for example - 2 totally different designed restaurants with foods from different cultures. They already offer the classic choices in each of those restaurants from what I've seen of the menus, so that should be enough to suit those who prefer less variety if the rest of their group wants to eat one night at a restaurant with a menu they don't like?

I understand the people that like set dining but for us it would be a disaster - it would structure our holiday in a way that forced us to constantly be checking our watch, rather than enjoying our time & eating when we felt the need to on most days.

What some people find easy & less hassle, to others is restrictive & a big hassle.

It seems also that large groups have more issue with DD than couples from what I've read here. I understand how that can be a problem.

But on the flip side we have found that in the MDR in the my time dining section if seated at a table for two & a larger group comes in our service drops off, as the waiter gets occupied with the different dynamic of a large group, especially if it contains children who sometimes take longer to order etc, thus slowing down the whole process for everyone else. On our recent VOS cruise this happened twice causing us to miss dessert to catch a show one time & another time dinner service taking almost 2 hours due to the arrival of a large group next to us.

For some reason the waiters seem to be better able to handle 4 couples on tables for 2 than 8 people on a single table at times.

I hope very much that Ovation when she arrives here later this year has retained the DD concept in some shape or form that allows us to actually try all the different menus, which is one of the reasons we booked her in the first place! I will feel quite let down if they change what they promoted as one of the features before I get to try it! :(

EXACTLY! That makes perfect sense. Those of us looking forward to our cruises are reading reviews from folks who chose to sail on a ship that has advertised all its bells and whistles, but who complain about those same bells and whistles. In those reviews, the reviewers don't always mention that they prefer traditional cruising, and those of us reading reviews for feedback would logically think that a person who chose to sail on a Quantum class ship was actually excited about trying out the new concepts the class has to offer, not that the reviewer booked a cruise intending to complain about the aspects that the entire class of ships is known to offer.

I would agree with this, and I'm still hoping to hear more from Patti with regard to what was working so poorly that they had to give up on the concept entirely.

From our first 4 days on board, I really can't see anything that is working poorly. In fact, tonight we ate at Chic and actually saw many gentlemen without jackets being seated with no questions asked.

There was one DR Manager that I spoke with that really likes DD Choice and wishes they would keep it. I think it's the DD Classic that is not working out. We have friends that are doing DD Classic and were assigned to a table for 11, which is what they wanted. They are seated at a large table with another couple. The other 7 people haven't shown up since Sunday. :eek:

You can be assured that if I hear anything more between now and April 30th I will sure to post it here.

From our first 4 days on board, I really can't see anything that is working poorly. In fact, tonight we ate at Chic and actually saw many gentlemen without jackets being seated with no questions asked.

There was one DR Manager that I spoke with that really likes DD Choice and wishes they would keep it. I think it's the DD Classic that is not working out. We have friends that are doing DD Classic and were assigned to a table for 11, which is what they wanted. They are seated at a large table with another couple. The other 7 people haven't shown up since Sunday. :eek:

You can be assured that if I hear anything more between now and April 30th I will sure to post it here.

Thanks much Patti. Wishing you continued smooth sailing.:)

I didn't see any problems on the 1/15 or the 3/7 cruise either.

No need for a jacket in Chic.

Edited by gaylemh

Thank you again for posting.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that they should drop Classic and just refine Dynamic Choice for a smoother experience.

But as I said previously, there has to be some more underlying reasons.

Thank you again for posting.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that they should drop Classic and just refine Dynamic Choice for a smoother experience.

But as I said previously, there has to be some more underlying reasons.

The underlying reason is that some people who don't like any changes, or anything new, have been complaining big time. The same people that complain about every little thing. Don't you remember reading all the complaints that started with Quantum?

Edited by gaylemh

The underlying reason is that some people who don't like any changes, or anything new, have been complaining big time. The same people that complain about every little thing. Don't you remember reading all the complaints that started with Quantum?

Oh, I remember.

I still don't think they would abandon a whole dining concept because of complaints. After all, based on other changes throughout the fleet, top tier C&A members are not a top priority anymore.

Oh, I remember.

I still don't think they would abandon a whole dining concept because of complaints. After all, based on other changes throughout the fleet, top tier C&A members are not a top priority anymore.

I agree, that's why I'm curious what was not working. If DD Choice is working and DD Classic is the problem, then why not just eliminate DD Classic, and go back to the original concept? It seems that something else must be going on.