ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

... I was told last night that when DD is eliminated and Traditional and MTD go into effect Coastal Kitchen (which is currently for Gold Card Holders and JS for dinner only) and Solarium Bistro (which is currently for anyone) will be for Gold Card Holders (Suite Guests and PC Members) only.

I believe that this change is going to tie in with the new Royal Suite Program when it goes into effect in May.

Thanks Patti, I was wondering how they would handle CK after May 1.

For us DD is working out well. But then, we are not known to complain about the small stuff. We just kind of go with the flow!!:D

It appears that many C&A Members complained. Remember when Diamond Members complained back in 2009 about being excommunicated from the CL. Management listened and a Diamond Event was created.

I was told last night that when DD is eliminated and Traditional and MTD go into effect Coastal Kitchen (which is currently for Gold Card Holders and JS for dinner only) and Solarium Bistro (which is currently for anyone) will be for Gold Card Holders (Suite Guests and PC Members) only.

I believe that this change is going to tie in with the new Royal Suite Program when it goes into effect in May.

I assume that management is thinking that more of the eligible (gold card holders) cruisers will choose NOT to use the "new" dining arrangements, and will take full advantage of the Coastal Kitchen, which then would not be large enough to accommodate everyone. Thus the addition of Solarium Bistro to the short list of "for suites only".

:)

We were told by the head maitre'd they switch after nights 2.

Menu switching on Anthem seems to depend on length of cruise. On the 3 night CTN earlier this year it didn't change at all and all venues had the same menu -hmmm....that sounds like..... Anyway, most longer sailing cruisers reported that menus change every 4 days. When it changes doesn't really matter, it's the same two sets of menus.

I assume that management is thinking that more of the eligible (gold card holders) cruisers will choose NOT to use the "new" dining arrangements, and will take full advantage of the Coastal Kitchen, which then would not be large enough to accommodate everyone. Thus the addition of Solarium Bistro to the short list of "for suites only".

:)

I wonder if suite guests will be allowed in the venues on deck 3 and 4 at all? That would make the math work a bit better.

I was told last night that when DD is eliminated and Traditional and MTD go into effect Coastal Kitchen (which is currently for Gold Card Holders and JS for dinner only) and Solarium Bistro (which is currently for anyone) will be for Gold Card Holders (Suite Guests and PC Members) only.

And that could be another nail in the coffin for me ... We have a Family Jr Suite booked, and RC specifically told us one of the JS perks was booking CK for dinner. We actually have a few CK reservations already booked in our cruise planner.

We spent the the $$$ on the Jr Suite, booked CK dinners, and now potentially this could get pulled ...

I am on May 5th booking and have Bistro reserved

It had been an option; now it's not. Doesn't appear at all when I pull up my booking. I was thinking maybe it's b/c of the reported change to MTD/traditional & making Solarium & Coastal for suite guests/gold pass holders (or whatever it's called)! However, Coastal Kitchen is an option when I pull up dining.

And that could be another nail in the coffin for me ... We have a Family Jr Suite booked, and RC specifically told us one of the JS perks was booking CK for dinner. We actually have a few CK reservations already booked in our cruise planner.

We spent the the $$$ on the Jr Suite, booked CK dinners, and now potentially this could get pulled ...

Same here.

The only thing JS has going for it in terms of Suite Class is dinner at CK and shampoo.

If they take CK away, I'm paying an extra $1200 per cabin and up, for shampoo!

Also, the 3rd person in the room is twice as much as the third in a regular balcony.

Edited by marci22

I wouldn't assume that.

We were told by the head maitre'd they switch after nights 2.

2 nights menu A, 2 nights menu B, back to menu A again, etc.

Because when we went back to American Icon on night 5 we had the same menu as night 1, so they were already back to menu A again. That's why we asked how they changed.

On the 12 night it was a little different. The menu changed AA-BB-AAAA-BBBB. Sometimes it's the reverse AAAA-BBBB-AA-BB.

On an 8 night it was AAAA-BBBB.

I wouldn't assume that.

Yup ... I'm doing my best to keep an open mind, as nothing is written in stone yet, and we don't don't what the final plan may be.

No matter what, I'm still determined to have a great time on my cruise, but I may need to take break from reading the boards for a bit (which I know I won't be able)

It had been an option; now it's not. Doesn't appear at all when I pull up my booking. I was thinking maybe it's b/c of the reported change to MTD/traditional & making Solarium & Coastal for suite guests/gold pass holders (or whatever it's called)! However, Coastal Kitchen is an option when I pull up dining.

Solarium Bistro is still available for my October cruise. It could be that it is reserved for a group. That happened a few nights on one of my Quantum cruises. Although with the changes this doesn't really matter anymore.

No it's not. It's 4 different restaurants each with different menus. So instead of just making 6 different entrees a night they have to make 20-22 different entrees a night.

It has to be costing them more to do this.

It doesn't cost them more. Food contracts with cruise lines are for the line and not the ship.

Cruise lines have very strict pricing expectations, and if you want to sell to them, you have to meet that expectations. Becasue of the contract totality, manufaterers give lines their best price.

Mark

I'm referring to how they promote the JS in Suite Class:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass/sea

Three things: CK, non-Flintstones bed, and shampoo.

IMO, this DD/MTD/TD fiasco shouldn't change the Suite Class perks which allow JS's in CK for dinner.

But the new Suite Class perks include dinner in CK for JS's. I can't imagine eliminating that, like you seem to say.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I like classic dining myself. Having the same folks at my table, hashing over the days events. We've made friends in the past that we kept in touch with and cruised with again even. On the other hand, if you get bad dining partners, it can be uncomfortable. Each to their own choosing, but I hope they keep classic dining for those of us that like it.

IMO, this DD/MTD/TD fiasco shouldn't change the Suite Class perks which allow JS's in CK for dinner.

But the new Suite Class perks include dinner in CK for JS's. I can't imagine eliminating that, like you seem to say.

Makes sense ... I may have been interpreting cruisenfever's post incorrectly. I think it may be that Solarium would go from 'available to all' to 'Suite guests', and CK may stay the same?

And as per everything else, this is all still speculation until official word from RC

Makes sense ... I may have been interpreting cruisenfever's post incorrectly. I think it may be that Solarium would go from 'available to all' to 'Suite guests', and CK may stay the same?

I interpreted the post the same way. If anything, I think they would have to remove Pinnacles and make it for suite guests only, as they are paying a premium for it. I can't see people just saying, 'ok no problem!' if they took away CK. It's the only major offering for Sea Class.

And as per everything else, this is all still speculation until official word from RC

I'd say that even if CK is marketed as "Gold Card Only", JS's will still be allowed because of the Suite Class.

I wouldn't worry (yet).